The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 November 2022, 01:57 AM   #1
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Collectors nicknames for the modern Daytona 116500LN

Can anyone guess which collectors nicknames will stick on the white and black dial 116500LN's? Or is it too early to tell?

Virtually every steel Daytona from the past has a collectors nickname, for example the Patrizzi dial, the APH dial, floating dial, big red, etc... these are from minor imperfections on the watches. Has there been any imperfections on the modern steel Daytonas that will warrant it's place in collectors history books?

I'm aware of "Panda" for the white which I don't really see as a legit collectors nickname but more of an alternative reference since it doesn't really stand for much. Nothing for the black at all?
goldboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 02:21 AM   #2
blada4life
"TRF" Member

i've heard vader for the black.

probably less nicknames based on imperfections these days as most modern rolex's have less and less issues that plagued earlier models. i think the panda will definitely stick, just like hulk and pepsi sticks
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 02:29 AM   #3
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
What's wrong with Daytona 116500LN?

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 02:30 AM   #4
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life View Post
i've heard vader for the black.

probably less nicknames based on imperfections these days as most modern rolex's have less and less issues that plagued earlier models. i think the panda will definitely stick, just like hulk and pepsi sticks
Right that makes sense. I have heard of the Vader one, I just feel these nicknames are quite a bit more superficial with no meaning backing them compared to the ones of past. Maybe someone will notice some kind of unique difference on the new ones at some point.
Old 16 November 2022, 02:31 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Have to agree nicknames more suitable for those of children 5 to 10 years old.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 02:34 AM   #6
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Nothing?
Old 16 November 2022, 02:36 AM   #7
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

……... Please make it stop.
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 02:36 AM   #8
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Are you trying to say Mr. Patrizzi himself has the consciousness of a 5 year old?
Old 16 November 2022, 02:38 AM   #9
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
OP, You should start a thread with a poll.

I’m curious to see what everyone thinks.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 02:48 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 03:08 AM   #11
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Gosh I hope not. So sick of people having to name watches.
Old 16 November 2022, 03:12 AM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldboy View Post
Are you trying to say Mr. Patrizzi himself has the consciousness of a 5 year old?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 03:14 AM   #13
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
You can make up names and call it whatever you want. To me it's a Daytona with either black or white dial.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 03:18 AM   #14
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
You can make up names and call it whatever you want. To me it's a Daytona with either black or white dial.
Do you not agree with any of the past vintage Daytona nicknames? Is it all just white or black dial Daytona's dating back to the 70s?
Old 16 November 2022, 03:18 AM   #15
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I have worse names to call Mr P himself. Think along the lines of SBF and Belfort then you will figure out where I’m going with this.

Quote:
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 03:21 AM   #16
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Come on man put two and two together. Mr. Patrizzi named the Patrizzi dial after himself, but sir above is insinuating that these nicknames are for 5-10 year olds? So why do you have a renowned name in the watch industry creating a differentiating nickname?
Old 16 November 2022, 03:22 AM   #17
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I have worse names to call Mr P himself. Think along the lines of SBF and Belfort then you will figure out where I’m going with this.
His nickname is solid as rock though for that reference, used by nearly everyone for that specific dial, so something must have worked.
Old 16 November 2022, 03:30 AM   #18
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
His nickname is solid as rock though for that reference, used by nearly everyone for that specific dial, so something must have worked.
Sure! Let me tell you why! The P dial with the discolouration of the outer Sub dial rings is due to a defective lacquer used on the dial which results in the discolouration. Other nicknames like Panda, Big Red, inverted 6, RCO, ROC etc are based on CONSCIOUS decisions by Rolex to alter the dial of the Daytona to give it its distinct look.

Mr P is also the founder of what is known as the present Antiquorum, which is well known for selling dubious watches through their auction. It’s because of Mr P “great” idea of giving the 16520 with defective lacquer dials a nickname aka P dial that these days, these defective 16520s are selling at a premium over a normal 16520.

Defective products SHOULD NOT COST A PREMIUM!

So when Mr P wanted to sell his defective 16520 with the discoloured sub dial, he coined it as unique and special to fetch a higher price at auctions!
E9A2B481-B75A-417B-8003-8FB7A2ED88BA.jpeg

So do you still think highly of Mr P now?
Old 16 November 2022, 03:42 AM   #19
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sure! Let me tell you why! The P dial with the discolouration of the outer Sub dial rings is due to a defective lacquer used on the dial which results in the discolouration. Other nicknames like Panda, Big Red, inverted 6, RCO, ROC etc are based on CONSCIOUS decisions by Rolex to alter the dial of the Daytona to give it its distinct look.

Mr P is also the founder of what is known as the present Antiquorum, which is well known for selling dubious watches through their auction. It’s because of Mr P “great” idea of giving the 16520 with defective lacquer dials a nickname aka P dial that these days, these defective 16520s are selling at a premium over a normal 16520.

Defective products SHOULD NOT COST A PREMIUM!

So when Mr P wanted to sell his defective 16520 with the discoloured sub dial, he coined it as unique and special to fetch a higher price at auctions!
Attachment 1331531

So do you still think highly of Mr P now?
Ya I know the story regarding why it's called a Patrizzi dial, he may have used it to sell his very own Daytona with discoloured subdials, but this is far from unusual with plenty of "patina" watches within many Rolex references and even other brands selling at a premium because of these so called defects.

The fact that he noticed this specific issue that only occurred within a 1-2 year production timeframe seems pretty legit to me. Not only did he sell his at a premium but he pointed it out for every other owner of this specific reference, who also then sold at a premium as well - fair play.

I really don't see it as an issue at all but of course everyone has their own opinion.

Collectors are called so for a reason, unusual references whether defects or not can be appealing and naturally draw a premium in terms of value, if this were not the case then there would be no collectors game or incentive to be interested in this niche hobby.
Old 16 November 2022, 03:51 AM   #20
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ya I know the story regarding why it's called a Patrizzi dial, he may have used it to sell his very own Daytona with discoloured subdials, but this is far from unusual with plenty of "patina" watches within many Rolex references and even other brands selling at a premium because of these so called defects.

The fact that he noticed this specific issue that only occurred within a 1-2 year production timeframe seems pretty legit to me. Not only did he sell his at a premium but he pointed it out for every other owner of this specific reference, who also then sold at a premium as well - fair play.

I really don't see it as an issue at all but of course everyone has their own opinion.

Collectors are called so for a reason, unusual references whether defects or not can be appealing and naturally draw a premium in terms of value, if this were not the case then there would be no collectors game or incentive to be interested in this niche hobby.
Endearing nicknames can be given to watches should it fit the characteristics of the watch, not forced or to cover up defects of a watch to fetch a higher value. Like for the GMT Pepsi, no one is disputing its nickname. Or Paul Newman Daytona. Everybody loves a Paul Newman Daytona. But nicknames for defective Watch such as P dial, Spider dial and -APH dial Daytona is TOTAL AND UTTER NONSENSE which should not be encouraged.

If the 116500LN has a nickname that fits its character, by all means great! But to force it out just to be part of the cool clan then what’s the purpose?
Old 16 November 2022, 03:54 AM   #21
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Endearing nicknames can be given to watches should it fit the characteristics of the watch, not forced or to cover up defects of a watch to fetch a higher value. Like for the GMT Pepsi, no one is disputing its nickname. Or Paul Newman Daytona. Everybody loves a Paul Newman Daytona. But nicknames for defective Watch such as P dial, Spider dial and -APH dial Daytona is TOTAL AND UTTER NONSENSE which should not be encouraged.

If the 116500LN has a nickname that fits its character, by all means great! But to force it out just to be part of the cool clan then what’s the purpose?
Definitely agree no need to force out anything especially if it's not very obvious, but if there is an obvious differentiating defect, characteristic, short run etc... I believe it should be noted and not just ignored.
Old 16 November 2022, 04:12 AM   #22
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
definitely agree no need to force out anything especially if it's not very obvious, but if there is an obvious differentiating defect, characteristic, short run etc... I believe it should be noted and not just ignored.
+1.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 04:14 AM   #23
Norbert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Is that right, PADI56.
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 04:30 AM   #24
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Somewhere on the forum I've seen the black one being referred to as the "Godzilla". I was like wtf as I didn't know it was about the black 116500LN (or even a watch) until another member explained that to me. Not sure who or how they came up with that one though. I'm now sure there's a Seiko model that also goes by the same stupid (or more appropriate) nickname.
Old 16 November 2022, 04:31 AM   #25
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

I like the tie fighter name I've seen floating around.

And yes I'm 10.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 05:23 AM   #26
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I call mine “steel Daytona,” add “ceramic” to date it if needed. Those nicknames you describe aren’t really nicknames, just descriptive terms for certain variations.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 05:24 AM   #27
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Black sheep

It’s a double entendre. All in favor say aye
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 05:53 AM   #28
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
I like the tie fighter name I've seen floating around.

And yes I'm 10.
Old 16 November 2022, 06:23 AM   #29
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

No. It will never patina and if you collect the model number should be enough.

Pepsi, coke, patrizzi, Buckley dials, JPS, APH, Platona, Jm… i get it. I think it’s weird wanting to nickname everything that comes out but that’s apparently what people are into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 06:57 AM   #30
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
No. It will never patina and if you collect the model number should be enough.

Pepsi, coke, patrizzi, Buckley dials, JPS, APH, Platona, Jm… i get it. I think it’s weird wanting to nickname everything that comes out but that’s apparently what people are into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's impossible to tell now that it will never patina, some of the newer materials used in modern Rolex have not been tested for say beyond 10-20 years of use. They're more likely to not patina than older variations but it's not guaranteed.

Tags
116500ln , daytona , nicknames