The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 March 2015, 09:02 PM   #1
PP101
"TRF" Member

5140G dial options ?

I am a little confused by the dial colour options of the 5140G. I am seeing them advertised with a silver dial and an opaline white dial.

From what I can see the model started out with a silver dial which must, at some point, have changed to the current white dial. However, I don't detect any changes in the reference sub-number (if they have a sub-number at all they all seem to be 5140G-001). Can anyone cast any light on whether there was a change, if so when it happened, and whether there should be different reference numbers ?

As a PS, has there ever been a 5140P with a white dial ?
PP101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 10:40 PM   #2
Oryx
"TRF" Member

There hasn't been a P with white dial - as for the G I think it has only had one white dial but someone can correct me if im wrong
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 10:48 PM   #3
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
There hasn't been a P with white dial - as for the G I think it has only had one white dial but someone can correct me if im wrong
You are correct for most part but my friend has a special one off made for him by Patek salmon dial with Breguet numbers and leaf hands which is stunning. I wish I could post a pic as I have on my iPhone but I am not allowed!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 11:14 PM   #4
PP101
"TRF" Member

But there is one advertised on Chrono24 by an Italian dealer with whom I have been in touch which is advertised as having a silver dial, and also one on the watchcentre website which has a silver dial (and which I have actually seen in the flesh).
Old 22 March 2015, 04:03 AM   #5
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP101 View Post
But there is one advertised on Chrono24 by an Italian dealer with whom I have been in touch which is advertised as having a silver dial, and also one on the watchcentre website which has a silver dial (and which I have actually seen in the flesh).
Judging by the website - the dial on the one for sale at watchcentre is the standard white dial that has been on the 5140G since launch.

For some reason they refer to it as a "silver opaline" dial but it is in fact the same was the white dial as you can see on Patek.com.

You should check out a 3940P (Ben Clymer from Hodinkee is also a big fan) - whilst it has a smaller dial it is an amazing watch.
Old 22 March 2015, 04:04 AM   #6
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
You are correct for most part but my friend has a special one off made for him by Patek salmon dial with Breguet numbers and leaf hands which is stunning. I wish I could post a pic as I have on my iPhone but I am not allowed!
Your friends collection sounds amazing - he needs to get posting on TRF or Instagram

But fair play to him if he wants to keep it all low key.
Old 22 March 2015, 04:44 AM   #7
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Your friends collection sounds amazing - he needs to get posting on TRF or Instagram

But fair play to him if he wants to keep it all low key.
I think when you have a lot of incredibly high end and expensive Patek pieces it's only natural to keep a low key profile, if I had a few million dollars in watches I wouldn't want to be on forums, maybe some crooks roam the forums to find this kind of collectors, try to get in touch with owners of these pieces to rob them, who knows, and even if it's supposed to be anonymous if you want it to be, a good hacker can always get into to site and retrieve personal info about members…
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 05:00 AM   #8
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
Yes.

Have you guys been paying attention to all of the high profile (Target, Home Depot, Sony, Anthem, etc.) cyber attacks?

Almost always the new attacks are designed to trick specific individuals into giving up their credentials using their personal information on social networks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I think when you have a lot of incredibly high end and expensive Patek pieces it's only natural to keep a low key profile, if I had a few million dollars in watches I wouldn't want to be on forums, maybe some crooks roam the forums to find this kind of collectors, try to get in touch with owners of these pieces to rob them, who knows, and even if it's supposed to be anonymous if you want it to be, a good hacker can always get into to site and retrieve personal info about members…
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 05:16 AM   #9
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I have been posting fewer and fewer shots of my watches as well. How many times can one post pic of same watch. It's getting old for me so I just gaze down at wrist and that is good enough for me!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 07:38 PM   #10
PP101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Judging by the website - the dial on the one for sale at watchcentre is the standard white dial that has been on the 5140G since launch.

For some reason they refer to it as a "silver opaline" dial but it is in fact the same was the white dial as you can see on Patek.com.

You should check out a 3940P (Ben Clymer from Hodinkee is also a big fan) - whilst it has a smaller dial it is an amazing watch.
I have tracked down the Patek 2006 launch info and interestingly that refers to "silvery opaline" which I suppose may be something very subtly different from "silver opaline, but has just been mis-copied":-

"The silvery opaline dial gently reflects light and features baton white-gold hour markers and two dauphine hands for the hours and minutes..... Dial: Silvery opaline 12 baton hour markers in 18K white gold Dauphine hour and minute hands in 18K white gold"

The current PP description on the website for the 5140G is "Opaline-white", which is not only different from the launch description, but is different from the description for the 5140R on the website, which is back to "silvery opaline". Is this just careless wording (unlikely as there is a difference in the French and German also) or is there actually a difference ?

I had had the chance to see a 5140G and -R side by side, and I really could not see a difference, so maybe I am just driving myself mad about nothing. On the other hand, I would assume that PP take as much care with the descriptions on their website as with all other aspects of the business.....

I did check out the 3940 and 5140 side by side, but overall my preference was for the 5140, as it is slightly easier to read and this is a watch I am planning to buy for everyday use.

Of the G and R versions, I think the R is -surprisingly to me as a I am definitely not a fan of rose gold - far and away the more striking and beautiful, although I think that for everyday wear the G is - for me at least - the better option as it is less 'dressy' and showy.