The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 June 2018, 08:23 PM   #1
Sporting Lisbon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SDDS
Rolex + Rolex Homage ?

Hey Watchfam,

I've been a TRF member for 9 years and its been a great pleasure to follow and learn from your posts.

Today I'm starting this new thread, in regards to my own experience with my Rolex Deepsea and would like to get your feedback on a couple of questions.

After the past few years of wearing my beloved ROLEX DEEPSEA pretty much on a daily basis, I have decided that indeed 1 ROLEX is not enough and that I should pull the trigger on a new watch, only this time I would go for a slimmer, and perhaps more classy/ elegant ROLEX model.
(Wifey agrees.. can you imagine my luck?)

After a long “second marriage”, this time with my ROLEX DEEPSEA, I’ve been strongly considering purchasing a GMT BLNR BATMAN (also super hyped by the new PEPSI, but its current price point makes it completely impossible for me to get one -at least until it hits the normal retail price).

Now this is when it gets interesting.

A couple of months ago, a friend and colleague from work showed me a PARNIS GMT model, which apparently is known as a “HOMAGE” watch.
(Photos below).

To tell you the truth, the watch blew me away, not just for its looks and quality but also for its unreal price (130 USD)

After trying on the watch, I was truly surprised, not just because it features an authentic GMT (dual time) Automatic Movement and a real Ceramic bezel, but also has a surprisingly good stainless steel bracelet.
(The bracelet is no match for my DEEPSEA, but is surprisingly similar to my SPEEDY..)

Now I was wondering if any of you has ever purchased one of this toys and what was your thoughts on it?

I have been in touch with this same friend regarding his PARNIS GMT watch and he is still impressed with the piece after a few months of regular wear, saying it keeps keeps accurate time (-+ 10 seconds a day) and the bracelet and bezel still show no signs of wear unlike some of his much more expensive watches.

So here’s my final question for you guys:

1. If you own a Homage piece, could you please share photos of both (Rolex and Homage), side-by-side?

2. Is it something that you would considerer as a trial/ test on wrist before pulling the trigger on the real deal?

3. For those that already own, do you feel self conscious about wearing these homage pieces as beaters, in rotation with your other Rolex pieces?

As a very happy ROLEX owner, I would love to hear your thoughts on this matter and hopefully get some feedback from our most experienced members as well.

Thank you for your time,

Miguel

Source: www.parnis.org

https://imgur.com/a/ijAV5vd
https://imgur.com/a/vVTlfDR
https://imgur.com/a/LQrJHEH
Sporting Lisbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 08:31 PM   #2
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Having a quick look, they just copy rolex models without rolex so basically fake without the logo. For that price I don't even want to imagine the turn or the bezel or the close of the clasp or the feel of the steel

Last edited by tommy91; 27 June 2018 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: A
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 08:54 PM   #3
1675-David
"TRF" Member

"hommage watch" is a euphemism for copied/fake watch. When a designer sits down in front of a blank sheet of paper to design a watch there are so many possible outcomes of this enterprise, that the outcome should time and time again liken popular high-end brand watches indicates an intention to use the success of anothers endevours to get a free ride with your own. Even if it doesn't say Rolex or IWC on the dial it's still theft, and even if it's within the law I'm still not a fan.
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 09:48 PM   #4
op90no2
"TRF" Member

Gross.

https://parnis.org/pages/faq

Quote:
We manufacture 2 categories of watches:

1) PREMIUM which is sold exclusively through Retail and our official website (PARNIS.ORG)

2) REPLICA which is offered through Distributors and online Resellers (eBay, Amazon, Etc.)

We manufacture different qualities of products depending on the requests and budget of our clients.

It is important to recognize that PARNIS WATCH CO. is primarily a Business to Business (B2B) company, which means that over 90% of our revenue comes from Corporate Clients and Multinational Brands, who select us as their Manufacturing Partner.
So they're a fake watch company. Miguel, are you affiliated with "Parnis Watch Co." in any way?

Just wondering.
op90no2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 10:14 PM   #5
Sporting Lisbon
"TRF" Member

Dude, PARNIS is a chinese company!

(I'm a Chef, but hold on.. I might assemble watches in between meals )

Now on a serious note, some feedback on any of those questions would be appreciated!

I've been doing some research and noticed a couple of other options for the same ROLEX GMT (Batman) model this time by STEINHART and ORIENT..

Will post pics for comparison soon!
Old 27 June 2018, 10:42 PM   #6
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I would be embarrassed to wear a blatant “homage” piece. There are plenty of great watches for under $500 that are original and have their own design and history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 10:45 PM   #7
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Rolex + Rolex Homage ?

I don’t know if I would call them a fake watch company.

There are some Invicta’s that I would say were clearly made to resemble a 16610 or a 16613lb, but I’ve never heard of Invicta described as a “fake watch company.” Their watches are copying the style of Rolex, and other watch companies do the same.

I kind of feel that if it doesn’t say Rolex on the dial, then it isn’t a fake Rolex; just a homage watch.

My 2 cents.

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 11:14 PM   #8
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
I mean idk.

This one is kind of tough.

In browsing through the site.... I mean these watches are almost identical...

I don’t know what to think in this case.

I will tell you OP, to answer your second question.

I was interested in the Rolex 116610lv a while back.

I wondered how I would feel when actually wearing a green watch. I decided to look on eBay, for an old Seiko or Bulova that was green.

I found a vintage Bulova with a green dial.

Super excited, I placed my bid, then I lost by $5

So, I understand what you are getting at with question 2.

As far as buying one of the pieces from the website you posted, I think that’s going to be up to you to decide whether they are “fake” watches or not, and whether you want to support those vendors or not.

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 11:21 PM   #9
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
I don't wear this in public .. lol ... but I thought it was cool enough to buy it. SW200 movement and actually looks pretty good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg homage.jpg (133.9 KB, 661 views)
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 05:55 AM   #10
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Ive owned lesser watches in the past including a Seiko Divers watch, at the time I thought it was of a great quality and pleased to have it on my wrist, Ive since moved on with watches and now own a Rolex Submariner and Explorer, I couldn't imagine going back to a lesser watch especially not a Homage Watch, It just wouldn't be the same.
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 12:24 PM   #11
Sporting Lisbon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
I was interested in the Rolex 116610lv a while back.

I wondered how I would feel when actually wearing a green watch. I decided to look on eBay, for an old Seiko or Bulova that was green.

I found a vintage Bulova with a green dial.

Super excited, I placed my bid, then I lost by $5

So, I understand what you are getting at with question 2.
Yeah, thats my exact same goal.

I understand this could be a touchy subject to some people.. I just dont have any problem with it.

Further thoughts on this topic, and photos would be highly appreciated!

Thank you.

Old 28 June 2018, 01:56 PM   #12
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

I own Rolex models. There are bodies on both sides of the fence, personally I don't mind copy watches (including Rolex copies) as long as they look good and are worth what I paid, so far with Invicta, Davosa and Steinhart so good . . .

Everybody else can do what they want/like
Old 7 December 2018, 01:02 PM   #13
Doc Savage
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhr View Post
I own Rolex models. There are bodies on both sides of the fence, personally I don't mind copy watches (including Rolex copies) as long as they look good and are worth what I paid, so far with Invicta, Davosa and Steinhart so good . . .

Everybody else can do what they want/like
Agree on the Steinhart. If you want an homage Pepsi GMT, get one of theirs. At least it has a Swiss movement.

I've never owned or even worn a Parnis, but several friends have. They all fell apart and stopped working a few months after they bought them. They had no durability and weak movements. My friends bought them to be beater watches so they wouldn't damage their Rolexes, but they couldn't take even the lightest of beatings before they crapped out. They all have Steinys now as their beaters.

I have no affiliation with either of these watch companies, or any other watch company, for that matter.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 02:10 PM   #14
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
As a Rolex owner I'm not sure why you would even consider this. What would entice you to get a look a like when you have the real thing? I also agree with the other poster, there are many other great watches under $500 I would be embarrassed to wear an homage if I was lucky enough to own an actual Rolex and be bale to afford a second one.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 03:23 PM   #15
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
We have a member who has a Parnis watch and seems to like it.

I personally would not go that route.

If you want to spend that kind of money, Seiko and Orient and a couple of others will get you a great quality watch.

Homages are not fakes or counterfeits, as some insist, but in my humble judgement, you have to be much more careful about the watches you buy in that price range than you do in buying watches in the luxury range.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 02:58 AM   #16
gournet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-dweller
Invicta . Unfortunately coming with a deep engraving" invicta" on the left side of the case .
gournet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 02:59 AM   #17
gournet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-dweller
Squale 1545 do a nice quality one with 2824 swiss movement.
gournet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 11:55 AM   #18
Paul7
Banned

Anybody want to comment on this from the Parnis website?

"Did you know that a 7,000 USD swiss watch costs less than 80 USD to manufacture?

According to COSC (Swiss most prestigious Horological institute), Rolex manufactured over 1,2 Million pieces in 2017, increasing their highly automated processes and technology, and creating little to no human interaction along the manufacturing process.

We often ask, "Why is a Mass-manufactured product (in millions of units) sold as an ultra-luxury item, when its actual cost is no more than just a few dollars a piece"?

I just bought a Steinhart diver that I'm very happy with, Swiss made, ETA movement at eight steps a second, two-year warranty, keeps better time than my Roles DJ, and the 39mm size fits my 6.5" wrist perfectly, 40mm is borderline too big for me. Not worried about explaining its not a Rolex, I've worn my Roles DJ the last few years and never got one comment.

There is debate whether Rolex originated the diver watch.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 12:00 PM   #19
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Agree on the Steinhart. If you want an homage Pepsi GMT, get one of theirs. At least it has a Swiss movement.

I've never owned or even worn a Parnis, but several friends have. They all fell apart and stopped working a few months after they bought them. They had no durability and weak movements. My friends bought them to be beater watches so they wouldn't damage their Rolexes, but they couldn't take even the lightest of beatings before they crapped out. They all have Steinys now as their beaters.

I have no affiliation with either of these watch companies, or any other watch company, for that matter.
Sounds like Parnis is up there with Invicta.
Old 12 March 2019, 01:35 PM   #20
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post
Ive owned lesser watches in the past including a Seiko Divers watch, at the time I thought it was of a great quality and pleased to have it on my wrist, Ive since moved on with watches and now own a Rolex Submariner and Explorer, I couldn't imagine going back to a lesser watch especially not a Homage Watch, It just wouldn't be the same.
I've read of others who do the opposite, sell their Rolexes and bought good quality mechanical watches and done something else with the savings. I'm not talking about someone who can't afford a Rolex, but someone who decides to do something else with their money/assets.
Old 12 March 2019, 01:40 PM   #21
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Parnis in tagalog language means stale food.
junamuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 01:42 PM   #22
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

They admit they produce fake Rolex watches. OP seems like he's affiliated with the company. This thread should be locked.

EDIT: Just look at this site. Fake watches with a slapped on brand name. This is clearly illegitimate.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 01:27 AM   #23
Burlington
"TRF" Member

They do seem to be flying close to the wind for sure

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 02:10 AM   #24
cardiel
"TRF" Member

my Sub is at the repair shop, in the meantime I've been wearing a Timex I paid £5 for....does the same job, is much smaller and more slender - nice feeling to wear a watch that you can forget you are wearing, if you know what I mean. Anyway, what was the question?
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2019, 11:41 PM   #25
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
No, it is "panis", and it is spoiled food :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junamuan View Post
Parnis in tagalog language means stale food.
Old 6 April 2019, 12:04 AM   #26
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Lisbon View Post
Dude, PARNIS is a chinese company!

(I'm a Chef, but hold on.. I might assemble watches in between meals )

Now on a serious note, some feedback on any of those questions would be appreciated!

I've been doing some research and noticed a couple of other options for the same ROLEX GMT (Batman) model this time by STEINHART and ORIENT..

Will post pics for comparison soon!
A vote here for Steinhart, have had an Ocean One 39 green for a month and love it, waay higher quality than Parnis and Invicta. The 39mm size fits my 6.5" wrist better than 40mm, it has a non-glare Sapphire crystal, ETA Swiss-made movement at eight steps per second, keeping time at -.6 seconds per day, waterproof to 300m, the same finish tolerances as Rolex, and unlike the sub you can actually buy a new one. IMHO 85%+ of the quality of a Rolex at 5% of the price. Rolex doesn't own the diver watch design, they weren't the first to come out with one and lots of companies make them today. To me, Steinhart is what Rolex was 40+ years ago, a tough, good-looking tool watch for a reasonable price. Rolex has chosen to go in a different direction. Does anyone think it costs them anywhere near the MSRP to manufacture them?

My interest in mechanical watches came when I inherited my dad's Rolex DJ, but I've discovered a watch company can offer a really good mechanical piece for a very reasonable price when they don't have to spend millions on advertising, retail stores and celebrity endorsement contracts. Christopher Ward is another company putting out great watches for a reasonable price. If you can get a generic drug that does the same thing for a fraction of the cost of the 'original', are you going to complain it's a fake? I can understand how people with $10K sunk in their watch will be upset when others wear very similar ones they got for a low price, but to say this is somehow unethical is complete bunk. A fake is a watch worn by posers that says 'Rolex' but isn't, period.
Old 6 April 2019, 04:49 AM   #27
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Invincta is junk.

Parnis is junk.

They may as well make straight up fakes.

Full stop.
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 05:30 AM   #28
Sprta
"TRF" Member

There are cars that cost 250,000 and replicas that cost 50,000, they look almost the same, but drive each and you will know the difference.
When you go to sell them you really will know the difference. Guarantee it will not perform the same, but will look good.
However if you want others to think you are driving a 250,000 car then go for it.
If these watches are so good on their own why copy the Rolex styles. Sell them based on their own price and looks.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 06:19 AM   #29
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprta View Post
There are cars that cost 250,000 and replicas that cost 50,000, they look almost the same, but drive each and you will know the difference.
When you go to sell them you really will know the difference. Guarantee it will not perform the same, but will look good.
However if you want others to think you are driving a 250,000 car then go for it.
If these watches are so good on their own why copy the Rolex styles. Sell them based on their own price and looks.
There are replica cars? Wth now I've heard of everything ..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 11:56 PM   #30
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
There are more than enough budget-friendly watch brands that make it on their own designs to support a brand who makes cheap copies.

Having a foot in both camps (Invicta) doesn’t make it better, in my opinion.

Buy a Citizen, Casio, Seiko, Longines, B&M, Oris, etc or buy the real thing, whatever your real thing is.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote