The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 January 2024, 05:06 AM   #1
Gva1985
"TRF" Member

Multiple ADs Etiquette

Hello everyone,

Just curious to know how other people deal with having multiple ADs. Do you tell that you deal with another AD? Or you don’t mention its/their existence? Do you show up at one of your ADs with a Rolex from another one?

Thank you in advance for your replies, cheers!
Gva1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 05:10 AM   #2
TudorDXB
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41
This problem doesn't exist in Dubai - there is only one ultra huge AD

Back in the day when it was safe to wear a fairly decent watch in London, I used to pop in to WOS with one of the more hard to get Rolexes just to wind them up a little.
TudorDXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 05:40 AM   #3
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I can’t speak from personal experience here but in general I like to be honest and open. After all, your AD sells watches to other people so why can’t you buy from other ADs?

Strategically, I could see telling them you work with other ADs even helping you. May give you some leverage if they know they are competing for your watch dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 05:45 AM   #4
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Ive told AD's ive bought grey market, in communication with other AD's and told them Ive sold Rolex's I didnt wear anymore. Its my life I can do what I want. None of the watches ive parted with were purchased via an AD so why should they care. Just be honest and open. Your journey of watch collecting should be appreciated by others. Its just a hobby at the end of the day
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 05:48 AM   #5
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gva1985 View Post
Hello everyone,

Just curious to know how other people deal with having multiple ADs. Do you tell that you deal with another AD? Or you don’t mention its/their existence? Do you show up at one of your ADs with a Rolex from another one?

Hell no you don’t tell them you deal with other ADs. My city has seven ADs and I’ve been to all of them and have watches registered with them all, have gotten some nice pieces from some.

Patekfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 05:52 AM   #6
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gva1985 View Post
Hello everyone,

They are never going to know unless you tell them.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 06:27 AM   #7
Gva1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I can’t speak from personal experience here but in general I like to be honest and open. After all, your AD sells watches to other people so why can’t you buy from other ADs?

Strategically, I could see telling them you work with other ADs even helping you. May give you some leverage if they know they are competing for your watch dollars.

That’s an interesting point and one which motivated me to open this post:
I always wonder whether showing up with e.g. panda Daytona that I got from Ad1 will help me get increased attention from Ad2 or whether it’s gonna make look bad with him
Gva1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 06:47 AM   #8
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post

I'm open with both my local ADs. They understand I will seize opportunities from their competition which includes greys and vintage dealers who occasionally get modern pieces.

In early Jan my "family" owned AD got me 2 steel sports models. 1 week later the national chain AD knowing I had been allocated steel pieces followed a litte over a week later (assuming the pieces go to corp 1st and are then shipped to the various stores).

I declined letting them know I bought similar pieces a week earlier. Competition is healthy.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 06:50 AM   #9
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
In the end as long as you're buying "other" things besides Rolex IMHO they could care less
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 07:18 AM   #10
Pacamack
"TRF" Member

When I went into my AD just before Christmas to put my name down for a BLNR I mentioned that I hadn’t put my name down with any other ADs. The SA said it wasn’t an issue if I did.
Pacamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 07:21 AM   #11
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
If I am wearing a Rolex to the store then I make sure it's one that I've bought from that AD, and I don't talk about other stores.

My AD knew that I bought a grey watch before (116619 for way cheaper than he could have sold it to me) and was fine with it and even appraised it for me since I spent plenty with them.

I have worn things like a Moonswatch in. Since they know me they don't really care like ADs may when trying to evaluate a random customer.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 07:22 AM   #12
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reRlxGuy View Post
I'm open with both my local ADs. They understand I will seize opportunities from their competition which includes greys and vintage dealers who occasionally get modern pieces.

In early Jan my "family" owned AD got me 2 steel sports models. 1 week later the national chain AD knowing I had been allocated steel pieces followed a litte over a week later (assuming the pieces go to corp 1st and are then shipped to the various stores).

I declined letting them know I bought similar pieces a week earlier. Competition is healthy.

Ah yes, the confident man who demands to be in an open relationship and won’t simp to the demands of an AD who wants to be your one and only. Keep up the good work brother.
Patekfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 07:23 AM   #13
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Ideally you should not mention competitors with your dealer. It is none of your business who else the AD sells to and none of the AD's business who else you may buy from.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 10:47 AM   #14
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Multiple ADs Etiquette

Per my previous post above, I’m in the camp of telling (if it comes up organically) that you buy from other ADs. And not one person in the other camp has explained their reasoning why they think it’s a mistake to share that that info.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 11:07 AM   #15
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
I’m open, one does allocate more than the other though
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 11:12 AM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Why would you discuss your personal buying habits and associations with Sales Staff at a Dealer.
Old 29 January 2024, 11:16 AM   #17
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I told my AD about other ADs, to let them know that they are not the only game in town.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 12:21 PM   #18
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
I told my AD about other ADs, to let them know that they are not the only game in town.
This.
Just like buying a new car, it helps to shop around at other location.. . an example Audi dealerships.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 12:58 PM   #19
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Why would you discuss your personal buying habits and associations with Sales Staff at a Dealer.
Kinda this. It's a transactional relationship unless you are also friends with the AD. The relationship is that your are both trying to maximize your results.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 03:11 PM   #20
Saxonite
"TRF" Member

I tell them I work with multiple AD’s. I find being honest is the best practice. You’ll get an idea if they like it or not very quickly. I’m currently talking with multiple AD’s at the moment as well. My primary AD closed a year and a half ago and my secondary AD is in a separate state so I don’t regularly visit it. I’m trying to see who will work with me without buying stuff I don’t want or already have.
Saxonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 03:47 PM   #21
Blanch
"TRF" Member

There's different hotels, different airlines, different car dealerships, etc... Rolex ADs are no different.

I've purchased from 3 different Rolex AD in Vegas: twice at Crystals, 3 times at Wynn, and most recently at Bellagio.

People need to remember that it's OUR money. We're the customer. The salesman makes commission off US. Stop acting like they're doing you a favor.
Blanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 03:57 PM   #22
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

I would not disclose how many other AD you have worked with. None of their business.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 04:10 PM   #23
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Why would you tell the ADs, and more importantly why would they care? They operate separately and you would maximize your chances of getting what you want.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 10:43 PM   #24
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not disclose anything about my buying habit's nor who or where I am shopping with. What is the advantage of that?
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 10:46 PM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I only buy from one AD
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 12:31 AM   #26
lawyerdude
"TRF" Member

What do you do when I dealer calls and offers you a piece that the other AD sold you? Assume it’s not a super popular one that you would flip and could buy a second time.
Old 30 January 2024, 12:35 AM   #27
karleone
"TRF" Member

I don’t see any upside disclosing an AD you’re working with other ADs. Can only see downside.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 12:40 AM   #28
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I buy Rolex from one AD. I tend to buy other brands from the same AD but if discounts are available I shop around. My AD usually matches the best price I can get elsewhere. If I was on the books at multiple Rolex ADs I would neither feel obliged to disclose it or hide it. It's nobody's business but if it came up I would speak honestly. We should all do as we see fit according to circumstances. We should also not attempt to complicate something simple by over thinking it or planning for multiple theoretical contingencies.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 12:51 AM   #29
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I have one main AD but they know I've bought from others.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 12:52 AM   #30
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

Hell No! Rolex has created a market where it is "every man for himself". As others have said, at the core, they could care less about you. Maybe they are nice (not always the case) and maybe they are indifferent but at the end of the day if you want a watch you play the game to your best advantage. It's up to you to figure out what that is.
mfnj is offline   Reply With Quote