The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 August 2021, 04:30 PM   #121
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario1971 View Post
You're right, 1815 looks grandpa.
I couldn't agree more, I think it's the combination of dated font of the numerals and railtrack, obviously old people like that but I prefer a more modern contemporary look as I'm only 50!
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 11:01 PM   #122
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK SMASH
Quote:
Originally Posted by edhahn44 View Post

My L1 trio:
- OG 101.001
- Darth 101.035
- Blue 101.027

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Ed, where did you purchase these straps from? They are sublime!
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 12:00 AM   #123
cotway
Banned

Watch: Zeitwerk Date
The 1815 is supposed to be like the old pocket watches. Grandpa watch? I am in my early 40’s and think it is a fantastic looking watch. Guess that is why they make different models and styles. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder…
cotway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 12:16 AM   #124
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
Hey Ed, where did you purchase these straps from? They are sublime!
I get all my straps (mainly calfskin or lizard) from Camille Fournet. They have a lot of customization options as well.
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 03:48 AM   #125
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotway View Post
The 1815 is supposed to be like the old pocket watches. Grandpa watch? I am in my early 40’s and think it is a fantastic looking watch. Guess that is why they make different models and styles. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder…
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 08:27 AM   #126
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Is owning a Patek Aquanaut in rose gold (5167 R) and an Odysseus in white gold complimentary or unnecessary ? Truth be told, I'm a Patek enthusiast wanting to be introduced into the fine world of A Lange & Sohne. I realize that the steel Odysseus is not attainable for a newbie and I already have a blue dial Patek (5524 G travel time) so what are the current opinions of A & S experts regarding the WG Odysseus with the brown calf skin strap or black rubber ? I don't need another "dress watch" at this time so not looking at those pieces currently.
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 09:23 AM   #127
ReturningSon
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, Rolex, Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobrooks View Post
Is owning a Patek Aquanaut in rose gold (5167 R) and an Odysseus in white gold complimentary or unnecessary ? Truth be told, I'm a Patek enthusiast wanting to be introduced into the fine world of A Lange & Sohne. I realize that the steel Odysseus is not attainable for a newbie and I already have a blue dial Patek (5524 G travel time) so what are the current opinions of A & S experts regarding the WG Odysseus with the brown calf skin strap or black rubber ? I don't need another "dress watch" at this time so not looking at those pieces currently.
I can firmly say that Odysseus gold is an awesome piece. I tried on a dummy piece at the boutique because they didnt have the steel (which I havent tried on). I like the leather strap "all-of-a-piece" look when it meets the endlink. Hefty but comfortable. The rubber strap is nice too but the look is really pulled together by the strap imo. The grey dial is killer too, same grey that they used on the triple split and Dato perpetual.
Old 1 September 2021, 09:31 AM   #128
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would get a datograph or a zeitwerk instead an odysseus. They are much more Lange.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 11:08 AM   #129
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
How difficult is the wg odysseus to obtain? I hear it's not a vip piece?
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 01:39 AM   #130
ReturningSon
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, Rolex, Seiko
Quote:
How difficult is the wg odysseus to obtain? I hear it's not a vip piece?
Boutiques can take orders. I tried through my AD but they said they werent getting any more Lange and referred me to my "local" boutique. Can be ordered with deposit but there is a wait as most boutiques are backordered. 30% deposit required which is typical Lange MO
Old 5 November 2021, 11:14 PM   #131
Costa Rakaro
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next
Incoming Luminous 115 029

Despite the same movment that the Lange one , 41,9mm vs 38;5, the sub-dials overlapped, and the large double aperture bit into the area dedicated to the time display, i bought this "vilain petit canard".

luminous1.jpg
Costa Rakaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 09:00 AM   #132
jed11
"TRF" Member

Anyone here own the white gold Lange 1? It's recently come across my radar but was wondering if any owners (or non owners) out there think/feel that the dial is a bit too monotone and doesn't pop. I do appreciate that unlike the others in the family, it has the luminous hour, min and PR hands, hour markers, and the PR markers too.
Do the subdials pop and contrast with the argente dial?
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 06:52 AM   #133
Costa Rakaro
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next
Quote:
Originally Posted by jed11 View Post
Anyone here own the white gold Lange 1? It's recently come across my radar but was wondering if any owners (or non owners) out there think/feel that the dial is a bit too monotone and doesn't pop. I do appreciate that unlike the others in the family, it has the luminous hour, min and PR hands, hour markers, and the PR markers too.
I bought it last week and i am travelling abroad until the end of the month.
I'll post pictures when i get back and give you my feelings
Costa Rakaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 10:56 AM   #134
ajw44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Zeitwerk Date
I have 3 Langes so far, but these 2 like being photographed together…lol

ajw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 11:14 AM   #135
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed11 View Post

I own it, it’s my favorite color combo for the Lange 1 save the more recent anniversary edition (w the blue accents). I wouldn’t say the sundials “pop” but they are differentiated. It is very monotone, but that’s what I like about it . Have it on a black strap but plan on playing around w straps since it will go with any color .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 11:40 PM   #136
jed11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
I own it, it’s my favorite color combo for the Lange 1 save the more recent anniversary edition (w the blue accents). I wouldn’t say the sundials “pop” but they are differentiated. It is very monotone, but that’s what I like about it . Have it on a black strap but plan on playing around w straps since it will go with any color .

Thanks…yeah, while I think this configuration looks great with a black strap to keep the dressy vibe, I can imagine it would be perfect for other strap combinations due to the dial and case color. I own the rose gold black dial Saxonia outsize date already so I’m thinking this would be an good companion to it.

jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 07:18 PM   #137
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
One Lange- one shot!
Old 13 November 2021, 09:08 AM   #138
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Picked this up today in a trade … my second Lange , and one I’ve been eyeing for a few years … love it !

Old 13 November 2021, 09:09 AM   #139
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Also got to try this on

Old 14 November 2021, 02:42 AM   #140
southnc
"TRF" Member

Just added A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Flyback Chronograph 401.031 (Pink Gold) to my collection, giving me 3 ALS watches. All of them are pre-2010 models. Although the current generation 1815 chronograph is a runaway success, there is just something special about the 1st generation that lived in the shadow of the original Datograph.

-Lange 1 Tourbillon (Gen 1) - Pink Gold, 38.5mm
-1815 Flyback Chronograph (Gen 1) - Pink Gold, 39mm
-Grosse Langematik Gangreserve Wempe LE - YG, 40.5mm; only ALS auto with a PR and sold in 2006 only (not a Richard Lange)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2474.jpeg (281.1 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2484.jpeg (280.7 KB, 343 views)
southnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 05:01 AM   #141
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southnc View Post
Just added A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Flyback Chronograph 401.031 (Pink Gold) to my collection, giving me 3 ALS watches. All of them are pre-2010 models. Although the current generation 1815 chronograph is a runaway success, there is just something special about the 1st generation that lived in the shadow of the original Datograph.

-Grosse Langematik Gangreserve Wempe LE - YG, 40.5mm; only ALS auto with a PR and sold in 2006 only (not a Richard Lange)
A thoughtfully and well curated trio! I especially like the Langematik Gangreserve, but all great pieces. Congrats and well done!
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 06:03 AM   #142
southnc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
A thoughtfully and well curated trio! I especially like the Langematik Gangreserve, but all great pieces. Congrats and well done!
Thank you for the kind comments.
Old 14 November 2021, 07:28 AM   #143
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Gentlemen, congratulations on your new acquisitions!
Old 14 November 2021, 11:32 AM   #144
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Love those pre-2010 pieces!

I could be wrong, but the strap on the L1 Tourbillon looks like an older Lange strap, from back in the days when the straps were much nicer than they are now. I'm curious if that's the case.

I might've posted this pic (below) before. Several years ago, a few local watch friends and I were invited to a Patek event. I never owned a Patek, and each of us owned a Grosse Langematik Gangreserve in a different metal, so we decided to wear them to the event. It was cool putting these pieces together in person. I really enjoy that watch. The proportions are perfect.

CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 12:31 PM   #145
southnc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
Love those pre-2010 pieces!

I could be wrong, but the strap on the L1 Tourbillon looks like an older Lange strap, from back in the days when the straps were much nicer than they are now. I'm curious if that's the case.

I might've posted this pic (below) before. Several years ago, a few local watch friends and I were invited to a Patek event. I never owned a Patek, and each of us owned a Grosse Langematik Gangreserve in a different metal, so we decided to wear them to the event. It was cool putting these pieces together in person. I really enjoy that watch. The proportions are perfect.

Very cool pic of all those Grosse Langematiks. There were only 100 in PL & YG in celebration of the 100th anniversary of Wempe marine chronometers, and just 25 in Pink Gold in celebration of the 25th anniversary of the NYC Wempe store. So, that pink gold watch is super rare!

Of my 3 watches, the Lange Tourbillon is the oldest, being a 1st generation model. It also comes with the cool deployant and does not hack like the follow-up versions that came out after the post 2009 Lange decided to remake previous limited edition watches, to the annoyance of many collectors.
Old 14 November 2021, 06:35 PM   #146
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The first gen chronos are just something special…very nice addition to the collection

edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2021, 03:31 AM   #147
Langepedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Brilliant assembly, huge congrats!
Langepedia is offline   Reply With Quote