The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 22 November 2023, 08:32 PM   #1
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Pissed! Collectors Watches 1946 Experience

I purchased a BNIB white dial Daytona with a September 2023 warranty card and both hang tags etc. Top dollar paid for the full kit.

Upon arrival I noticed some irregularities in the brushed bracelet pattern including what looked like a touch up attempt on a handling mark. I also noticed a flaw on the dial. At that point I reached out to the dealer.

I received a phone call from Vinnie in response assuring me the watch was genuine and Rolex had changed their brushing technique in 2021. I also own 2 other Daytonas post 2021 so I would respectfully disagree on this point.

Here is the dial flaw.

We agreed that I would send to Rolex in Dallas and that they would cover the price of any replacement watch links. The assumption at this point is the dial is a QC flaw and will be gratis (this will be found to be billable damage when the Rolex watch maker locates the missing ink scraped onto / deposited on the inside of the watch case during dial reinstall).

Here is the written feedback from RSC. I skipped Page 2 as it lists the hands they want to replace.

Some important notes:
Non-Rolex refinish
Movement contaminated
Dial damaged
Warranty void (less than 2 months into 5 year period)

Rolex wants $888 to replace the dial and hands and would charge $1900 to replace the bracelet. They offered to service the watch and polish the case and bracelet for free due to the situation.

I called RSC to get feedback from the watchmaker about the damage and refinish. At this point I'm thinking: Why on earth would someone have the dial pulled out on a 2-3 weeks-old Daytona from the AD? I ran to check my white hang tag which read 116500-001 thankfully. Not a black to white swap. Still no clue why. Watchmaker confirms the brushed elements of the bracelet have been rebrushed.

I did not pay for a used mint watch with a polished case and bracelet. It was advertised as BNIB. I called to confirm everything before paying online I was assured it was fresh from an AD. Current month warranty etc.

I followed up with a phone call to Collectors again. They confirmed receipt of the RSC email. I was told I would get a call back from Vinnie.

Not yet. I am still waiting on that call.

At this point my watch is in the safest hands at RSC so I'm not panicked unless the movement comes back fake during service. The total price for dial and bracelet is $2788.

Collectors has a chance to make it right. They should issue a partial refund on my PayPal payment to adjust for my out of pocket costs, lost warranty, and incorrectly advertised BNIB vs MINT purchase price. I still have some levels of Amex and PayPal adjudication available but I hope they just do the right thing.

I'll try to keep this thread updated but will be doing 18 hours of driving this Thanksgiving weekend.

Important note: if a reseller / dealer opens your brand new watch to authenticate the movement and contaminates the movement or leaves any trace, your warranty is void.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!
Old 22 November 2023, 08:54 PM   #2
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Pissed! Collectors Watches 1946 Experience

Very sorry to hear this. I hope that it gets resolved in a fair manner. It’s a reminder to me not to buy grey market, as there is really no way to be completely sure what you’re getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 09:02 PM   #3
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
The seller should cover EVERYTHING. They sold you a watch that was not as advertised. You paid a premium for a BNIB watch which RSC confirms has been tampered with. You did not get what you paid for.
Hopefully they make it right.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 11:10 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry to hear this. I would want a full refund and go to another dealer. Either they misrepresented the watch or they do not have the skill to tell the issues at hand. Either way it does not reflect well on them. No problem buying from Secondary market dealers, only buy from ones with impeccable reputations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 11:17 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Bard, I’m really sorry to read this.

At this point, I’d want my money back and they can do whatever they want with this watch. I would think if this is a reputable seller they’d want to make it right, and IMHO this is the only way
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 11:24 PM   #6
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Really sorry to hear this. I’m keeping fingers crossed and hope that this situation will be solved sooner than later.
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 11:46 PM   #7
Colina19
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear, hope they make it right. I get why anyone would touch up a bracelet, but a dial swap on such a new watch is crazy.
Colina19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 11:53 PM   #8
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

Looks like the watch was dropped or damaged somehow and someone attempted to fix it to sell it. I would get my money back and buy another one. Not worth paying this much to have such a headache. For the amount you paid you can easily find another one in real mint/brand new condition
Rogerusp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 12:24 AM   #9
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
The seller should cover EVERYTHING. They sold you a watch that was not as advertised. You paid a premium for a BNIB watch which RSC confirms has been tampered with. You did not get what you paid for.
Hopefully they make it right.
This^^
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 12:25 AM   #10
Eric88
"TRF" Member

At this point, you'll need to think about how the issues and needed repair/replacement by RSC impact the overall watch and whenever you may want to sell it, how does this contribute to the story of the watch in a positive or not positive fashion. If you thought it was BNIB and now it's kind of "yeah not quite, needs work, will be factory fresh, but still not BNIB etc."

I'd expect the grey seller to cover ALL of the RSC costs or provide you with a full refund and you can seek another BNIB watch that will hopefully not be misrepresented like this.

If you plan to keep the watch indefinitely, I would be comfortable with the RSC work to make it whole. I would draw the line at paying additional for this, on top of the BNIB premium already paid.

Best of luck to you!
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 12:27 AM   #11
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
I’d demand a return at this point. Plenty of true nib watches out there if you’re willing to pay up for them.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 12:30 AM   #12
LAS45
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN, VTNR
I hope they make it right for you. Sad they didn’t disclose this before you purchased the watch. You would have at least had the option to pass on this watch and look for another watch.

LAS45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 12:49 AM   #13
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Obviously sellers fault, but, I’m amazed you’d even mess around with sending this to RSC rather than insisting on a return on day, one after receipt. There was abundant red flags on the watch to start with. It’s not like this is an overly rare watch on the gray market. Rather than insisting on a quick return, and getting onto the Daytona from somewhere else, this is now ‘a big ol mess’ involving weeks of your time.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 01:25 AM   #14
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
Every so often stories pop up here on TRF about negative experiences with these guys.

On C24 it's also irritating to have them intentionally overstate the condition of their watches as well and clog up my saved search results.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 01:28 AM   #15
msnow
"TRF" Member

Agree with all above but why is no one mentioning the voided 5 year Rolex warranty? There is only one solution to this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
msnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 02:00 AM   #16
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnow View Post
Agree with all above but why is no one mentioning the voided 5 year Rolex warranty? There is only one solution to this.

Yeah, hopefully, the OP could get full refund from the seller. Watch clearly was not BNIB and have been tampered with.. for RSC to void the 5 year warranty.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 02:34 AM   #17
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

I'd return that watch and get a refund. Way too many 'hidden' issues kept from you in order for the seller to charge BNIB premium.

Also, why does the RSC estimate say 116520 dial? is it a 116520 or 116500?

Return it OP and get ALL your money back.
Old 23 November 2023, 03:45 AM   #18
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

I would return it for sure. You can find plenty of true BNIB's
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 04:28 AM   #19
winst
"TRF" Member

Return and move on. Sorry for any worry this experience has caused you.
winst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 07:10 AM   #20
Recaro18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16520
I would just return it, why bother with all the headaches…

~Connecting people through my passion, one timepiece at a time~
Recaro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 08:09 AM   #21
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
collectors1946 are known to touch up slightly used watches and sell then as BNIB. I've personally been to one of their locations in New York and I was so glad I actually had a loupe with me that time.

What I would do in this situation is to just return the watch. Not only is it not BNIB, it has a voided warranty.
bay_area_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 10:16 AM   #22
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Sorry to hear about your experience OP. Hopefully 1946 will do the right thing do one of the following:

1) Offer a full refund
2) Offer to exchange yours for a true BNIB piece
3) Offer to cover all Rolex costs, and offer a partial refund for the market difference of what you paid, to what you received (essentially a used watch with repairs)
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 11:00 AM   #23
Yomada
2024 Pledge Member

This dealer is on Ebay, did you buy through Ebay? I'm guessing you didn't, Ebay authentication would have probably found the faults.
Yomada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 12:08 AM   #24
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the feedback. I did call to explore options and returning for a refund wasn't an option since I peeled the clasp stickers and wore it a few times. Sending to RSC for dial swap with them paying for a fixed link was their suggestion.

I still haven't received a call back yet.

Purchase was over the phone billed via PayPal invoice. Didn't involve eBay but the same SKU was cross listed on eBay and their website and Chrono.

The idea of sending back for a refund is frankly idealistic and risky given the poor communication. They could just disagree with RSC and refuse to refund etc. They would have my money and the watch and all negotiating power.

My thinking is let Rolex make it right. Seek a partial refund via PayPal for $2788 Rolex bill, $1200 value of voided 5 yr warranty, and a refund of dollar premium from BNIB to "mint". This would make my cost basis in the watch appropriate for its condition.

Similar to the post a few above.
Old 24 November 2023, 12:46 AM   #25
msnow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I did call to explore options and returning for a refund wasn't an option since I peeled the clasp stickers and wore it a few times. Sending to RSC for dial swap with them paying for a fixed link was their suggestion.

I still haven't received a call back yet.

Purchase was over the phone billed via PayPal invoice. Didn't involve eBay but the same SKU was cross listed on eBay and their website and Chrono.

The idea of sending back for a refund is frankly idealistic and risky given the poor communication. They could just disagree with RSC and refuse to refund etc. They would have my money and the watch and all negotiating power.

My thinking is let Rolex make it right. Seek a partial refund via PayPal for $2788 Rolex bill, $1200 value of voided 5 yr warranty, and a refund of dollar premium from BNIB to "mint". This would make my cost basis in the watch appropriate for its condition.

Similar to the post a few above.

How did you determine the $1200 5 year warranty value? Seems to me that is variable and indeterminate number.

msnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 12:47 AM   #26
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnow View Post
How did you determine the $1200 5 year warranty value? Seems to me that is variable and indeterminate number.

Single movement service of a 4130 chronograph. I'll call and get a real quote to substantiate.
Old 24 November 2023, 05:24 AM   #27
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Definitely not a good look for CW 1946.

It seems every watch on their site is classified as ‘mint’. Makes you wonder…
Old 24 November 2023, 05:37 AM   #28
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Definitely not a good look for CW 1946.

It seems every watch on their site is classified as ‘mint’. Makes you wonder…
Margins are so thin in modern Rolex. Very hard to make a living charging competitive prices unless there’s some shadiness going on like this.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 02:21 AM   #29
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Return ASAP. A risk of the used market is you never know what you are buying.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 02:52 AM   #30
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Many people say buying vintage is a minefield.
Then buying modern from grey dealers or private owners must be a newer minefield.
In this case the OP has a brand new tampered watch with no warranty support.
And he noticed it.
So I wonder how many modern watch owners would be surprised to find out they don’t actually have a manufacturer’s warranty?