The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 December 2014, 09:51 PM   #1
Comex1665
"TRF" Member

Help about a Tropic 19 service acrylic Crystal for 5513

Hi guys,
I need your help about the service T19. I have done a lot of research and unfortunately I didn't find the outer diameter of the service T19 Crystal. There are a lot of cheap aftermarket acrylic crystals on eBay referring as the tropic 19 but there exist a lot of variations concerning the outer diameter between them. And all of them state it as 1:1 to genuine lol,
As Clarks, as sternkreuz, ofrei and others ..
Many variations of outer diamater exist I have found from 30,2mm to 30,48mm.

Here are my questions:
what is the outer diameter of a genuine tropic 19?
Is there a difference in term of diameter between and original T19 and the service one from RSC ?

Thank you folks for your help !
Comex1665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2014, 11:09 PM   #2
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Those crystals are a bit of a gamble sometimes. See this thread: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=313971

I have to say I am quite pleased with my service T19 on my Tudor sub. Very clean and clear and better and safer than the poly-watched to the nth degree original crystal.
Old 21 December 2014, 11:23 PM   #3
Comex1665
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
Those crystals are a bit of a gamble sometimes. See this thread: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=313971

I have to say I am quite pleased with my service T19 on my Tudor sub. Very clean and clear and better and safer than the poly-watched to the nth degree original crystal.

I also have a bad experience with one of Clarks T39 super dome for a 1665 GWSD, when I installed it on the case the bottom cracked after putting the retaining ring onto the Crystal. So I came back to my old T39 Crystal.

Thanks for the link, I have read the entire thread but unfortunately it doesn't answer my question. As I want to know what is the exact dimension for a genuine Crystal.
Old 22 December 2014, 12:17 AM   #4
Tylden Reed
TechXpert

Watch: GMTII and more
Hi all.
I've several genuine Rolex T19 (Rolex 25-19) Plexiglass crystals purchased by me direct from Rolex of London. All measure 30.4mm O/D.
It is worth noting that if a non Rolex plexi has previously been fitted the later fitting of an original T19 may not be tight enough.
Rolex have a tool for reducing the diameter of solid bezels but they are not cheap items!
Tylden Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 12:19 AM   #5
Comex1665
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylden Reed View Post
Hi all.

I've several genuine Rolex T19 (Rolex 25-19) Plexiglass crystals purchased by me direct from Rolex of London. All measure 30.4mm O/D.

It is worth noting that if a non Rolex plexi has previously been fitted the later fitting of an original T19 may not be tight enough.

Rolex have a tool for reducing the diameter of solid bezels but they are not cheap items!

Thank you for jour answer. Do you know what number we have after the 4 for the O/D ?
30,48mm ? Or 30,40mm ?
Old 22 December 2014, 01:04 AM   #6
Comex1665
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylden Reed View Post
Hi all.

Now i am confused because Julien Olivares from chrono-shop.net told me that the genuine service T19 has an O/D of 30.mm
Old 22 December 2014, 02:30 AM   #7
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Please read that previous thread about aftermarket crystals and look closely at my photos. It's not just a little bit of a gamble, IMHO, it's a huge mistake. Just go with genuine Rolex crystals and you'll be fine. Don't worry about the size. If you get the right crystal for the right model, it'll fit. Yes, they're expensive and tough to find sometimes, but they're well worth it. These watches are now worth a ton of money. Spending several hundred dollars on a factory crystal seems like a small price to pay. Good luck.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2014, 02:35 AM   #8
Comex1665
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Please read that previous thread about aftermarket crystals and look closely at my photos. It's not just a little bit of a gamble, IMHO, it's a huge mistake. Just go with genuine Rolex crystals and you'll be fine. Don't worry about the size. If you get the right crystal for the right model, it'll fit. Yes, they're expensive and tough to find sometimes, but they're well worth it. These watches are now worth a ton of money. Spending several hundred dollars on a factory crystal seems like a small price to pay. Good luck.

Thanks Swish for your precious advice. Yes I will definitely go with a genuine service T19. I just wanted to make sure about the O/D diameter. It appears to be 30,3mm.