The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 June 2015, 10:39 PM   #1
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Another of life's mysteries...

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a ROO, basically going for the black ceramic diver, but also looking at 44mm models, and while looking something strikes me as being very strange, on Chrono 24, the 44mm models in ceramic cost more than the same models in forged carbon, but if you take the 42mm divers, the FC "bumblebee" costs much more than the ceramic diver, I am a logical person, well before my 5th glass of whisky and I can't find a logical explanation on this one, anyone know the cause of this?

Thanks guys

lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2015, 02:01 AM   #2
arnage
"TRF" Member

I suspect this could be --no pun intended-- because the FC bumblebee (which, btw, is not a diver, but a chrono) had a bit of a cult following, and still does.. it was very unique for its time. I don't know if the ceramic diver has a level of interest quite like that yet, as it was produced for a shorter amount of time, and perhaps appeared to be a bit less "revolutionary," at time of its release to its peers, in comparison to the Bumblebee. The bee has also been discontinued for a while, so prime examples may be fairly scarce?

further, retail was quite a bit higher on it, if I remember correctly.. it's a chrono vs the diver being a 3-hander.
arnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2015, 03:21 AM   #3
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Are you talking about the FC Diver or FC ROO Bumblebee? The Bumblebee is a chrono...
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2015, 03:34 AM   #4
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
If you are referring to the FC diver being priced at $27,500 and the ceramic diver being priced at $23,900 its because the ceramic diver was a boutique only pice where no real discounts were given. Both NIB on the gray market were similary priced around $22-$23K. FC diver being sold at a pretty good discount.

I'm assuming they made the price less than the FC diver because it was a boutique only somewhat limited production and wanted to minimize disounts. Goes to APs strategy of cutting dealer margins and increasing the number of boutiques to try and generate better resale value on the secondary market.

The listed price of the 44m ceramic at $41,700 and 44mm FC at $36,900. To this point I've seen FAR less 44mm ceramics produced so secondary market/gray market value is stronger.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2015, 08:19 AM   #5
mspeed76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
also the diver and all its iterations is more of an entry level offshore..

offering no chronograph function and a different shaped bezel
mspeed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2015, 08:57 AM   #6
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
Are you talking about the FC Diver or FC ROO Bumblebee? The Bumblebee is a chrono...
There's also a diver, see for yourself

https://www.chrono24.com/en/audemars...facturerIds=18
Old 4 June 2015, 09:46 AM   #7
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I'll buy the Bubblebee in a heart beat if AP comes out with a new version featuring the ceramic case and the new ceramic bezel
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2015, 10:44 AM   #8
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I'll buy the Bubblebee in a heart beat if AP comes out with a new version featuring the ceramic case and the new ceramic bezel
I agree, when you look how the FC bezels look after some time, can't imagine wanting to get anything made from FC...
Old 4 June 2015, 11:20 AM   #9
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I agree, when you look how the FC bezels look after some time, can't imagine wanting to get anything made from FC...
By that thought someone could also say that when you see how scratched/dented SS or even gold looks after some time they wouldn't want anything made of those materials. Or even show the chipped ceramic bezels after a hard knock and say the same...Just playing devils advocate.

My SS watches look much more beat up compared to my FC diver. I for one think FC is best used on cases and ceramic on bezels. Also like that AP pioneered the use of FC for watches and they have made improvements over time. The newer FC cases will not look like the older GP or Alinghi you posted. If you ever damage your case it will hide scratches and its relatively cheap to replace.

Similar forged carbon is also used in golf club heads and suspension parts on super cars. The material is pretty robust.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote