The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 30 March 2011, 06:58 AM   #31
limenko
"TRF" Member

Nice shots everyone, here is a couple more.

190 I currently own.

And the 292 I let go.
limenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 07:18 AM   #32
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Wow - I know a 341 is massive to Start with and those wrist pix are simply amazing.

Amazingly... massive on that wrist.

341 is an amazing piece of kit and not many people can pull it off. Am I the only thinking that is just too big by looking at those writ pix? Thanks for the pix through. Nice to see some real life pix.

My apologies in advance, but I mean - size matters, but wearing a "clock sized watch" just isn't cool. I'm sure it isnt an image Panerai intended.

I will probably get flamed from some people for this, but hey...

Nice pix everyone.

/I will get my coat on the way out
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 08:03 AM   #33
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
Wow - I know a 341 is massive to Start with and those wrist pix are simply amazing.

Amazingly... massive on that wrist.

341 is an amazing piece of kit and not many people can pull it off. Am I the only thinking that is just too big by looking at those writ pix? Thanks for the pix through. Nice to see some real life pix.

My apologies in advance, but I mean - size matters, but wearing a "clock sized watch" just isn't cool. I'm sure it isnt an image Panerai intended.

I will probably get flamed from some people for this, but hey...

Nice pix everyone.

/I will get my coat on the way out

+1.

NO OFFENCE INTENDED & APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE.....

Thanks for showing your watch & posting the pic's:
....but as an unashamed Panerai Virgin I honestly thought those were 'joke shots' which had been photo-shopped or something.

I honestly don't mean any offence & I'm sure it's a remarkable timepiece of great horological & monetary value.........

I just don't think I could wear it & I'd be surprised if anyone could 'pull it off' in real life.

Sorry.

(Note to mods: Can we get some kinda "Peace" smilie or something?!? )

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 08:14 AM   #34
MikeJaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebruner View Post
All of a sudden a bunch of us have the 231. Cool!!

-Eddie
Haha, so true! Before I got mine I tried searching for 231 pics and could hardly find any.
MikeJaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 08:48 AM   #35
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
+1.

NO OFFENCE INTENDED & APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE.....

Thanks for showing your watch & posting the pic's:
....but as an unashamed Panerai Virgin I honestly thought those were 'joke shots' which had been photo-shopped or something.

I honestly don't mean any offence & I'm sure it's a remarkable timepiece of great horological & monetary value.........

I just don't think I could wear it & I'd be surprised if anyone could 'pull it off' in real life.

Sorry.

No problem and I agree it is huge, but I didn't buy the watch for fashion, I bought the watch because of the history behind it.
To make a long story short the watch was originally made for the Egyptian navy and was intended to be worn on the outside of those big bulky diving suits.. Also it was commissioned design for panerai to come up with an indistructable watch.. Please keep in mind that this watch was intended for active field work only and only a few originals still exist from the original 50 watches made.

People love panerai bc of it's history and the unique and classic styling of the watch... It's models like the 341 that represent the birth of such styling into a modern form factor.. The 341 happenes to be one of the most controversial watches that the company has made to date due to it's size.. It's meant as a collectors piece.. If you truly know the brand then you would understand especially after seeing some of the huge wrist compasses and depth gauges they used to make as true tool pieces.
But I can see why people think it looks rediculous when they really don't understand the history behind panerai..
It's not like this is a regular production..
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 09:06 AM   #36
esm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
But I can see why people think it looks rediculous when they really don't understand the history behind panerai..
appreciated the quick history lesson. i was aware of the 341 history and even that, it was meant to be worn over the diving suit as it was original intended right - especiall for someoe who is supposed to know the hitsory and intended use of it? imo, a regular production or not isnt really the issue here.

yes, i know the same can be said for a Rolex DSSD or Omega PloProf or (insert naother classic/re-issued diver here), but how many people actually dive with one...
Old 30 March 2011, 09:06 AM   #37
marcinthemiddle
Vacated

Watch: PAM 111 'N'
Quote:
No problem and I agree it is huge, but I didn't buy the watch for fashion, I bought the watch because of the history behind it.
To make a long story short the watch was originally made for the Egyptian navy and was intended to be worn on the outside of those big bulky diving suits.. Also it was commissioned design for panerai to come up with an indistructable watch.. Please keep in mind that this watch was intended for active field work only and only a few originals still exist from the original 50 watches made.

People love panerai bc of it's history and the unique and classic styling of the watch... It's models like the 341 that represent the birth of such styling into a modern form factor.. The 341 happenes to be one of the most controversial watches that the company has made to date due to it's size.. It's meant as a collectors piece.. If you truly know the brand then you would understand especially after seeing some of the huge wrist compasses and depth gauges they used to make as true tool pieces.
+1 Well said. I cannot wait to add this piece to my collection. Friends of mine have already commented to me that I could buy a solid gold Rolex/ PAM for the same amount of money. I really REALLY like the 341.

Executive Dorklehead
marcinthemiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 09:16 AM   #38
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Here's an oldie but goodie:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00057-20100824-0956.jpg (86.0 KB, 269 views)
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 09:20 AM   #39
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
& I'd be surprised if anyone could 'pull it off' in real life.

I know I could pull it off if given the chance. I love the watch a lot btw.

Maybe a mod will add some of these?
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 09:22 AM   #40
marcinthemiddle
Vacated

Watch: PAM 111 'N'
Hell yeah we could pull that watch off, Bruno!

Executive Dorklehead
marcinthemiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 09:26 AM   #41
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcinthemiddle View Post
Hell yeah we could pull that watch off, Bruno!
I would just have to up my forearm workout a tad, thats all.
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 10:43 AM   #42
klcc88

Watch: Panerai PAM 268
klcc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 11:28 AM   #43
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
I would just have to up my forearm workout a tad, thats all.
well it's a good thing my 341 came with one of these..
Old 30 March 2011, 11:29 AM   #44
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcinthemiddle View Post
+1 Well said. I cannot wait to add this piece to my collection. Friends of mine have already commented to me that I could buy a solid gold Rolex/ PAM for the same amount of money. I really REALLY like the 341.
hey marc,
thanks for the support!
at least someone gets it!
Old 30 March 2011, 11:40 AM   #45
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klcc88 View Post
Incredible underrated PAM in my humble opinion. Looks great.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 11:54 AM   #46
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
appreciated the quick history lesson. i was aware of the 341 history and even that, it was meant to be worn over the diving suit as it was original intended right - especiall for someoe who is supposed to know the hitsory and intended use of it? imo, a regular production or not isnt really the issue here.

yes, i know the same can be said for a Rolex DSSD or Omega PloProf or (insert naother classic/re-issued diver here), but how many people actually dive with one...
i only brought up the production because it has everything to do with it...
if panerai thought this watch to be truly logical for this day in age for real use, then it would be a regular production.... its only rated to 100 meters which is nothing.. i would never dive in this watch and don't know anyone else that would...

the DSSD is great because regardless if you're going to dive down that far, at least you know it will. which is an incredable watch with alot of engineering behind it. thats what i see when i look at the DSSD which is why i bought one. i think its amazing how rolex designed the DSSD. i look at the DSSD is more of an instrument then a watch. infact its an instrument with great styling .

at the time in the 50's when the egiziano was being made, it was considered state of the art.. now, its not. it's purely for collectors who truly understand the tools panerai used to make... not just watches as stated before.. if you understood that then im sure you would be thinking different and saying different things then you are now.
if you say you know and understand the history of panerai then what your saying makes no sense.

its a huge watch, you have made that clear... there are a bunch of other models for you to choose from... so what does it matter really if panerai came out with a one time production watch of this size for die hard fans?
since you obviously have stated your feelings about the 341, then surely you can understand the market the 341 appeals to..

you said and i quote "clock sized watch" just isn't cool. I'm sure it isnt an image Panerai intended
to answer that. it is exactly what panerai meant to do when they made it in the 50's and when they made it now.. nothing has changed about it.
so please don't say you understand and already know all the history about the egiziano when all you're saying is "it's a clock sized watch"

heres another perfect example the pam 300 mare nostrum. originally panerai made in a much smaller version for a re-launch in 2003 which was not true to the original design conceived by panerai in 1943 . panerai had never launched the mare nostrum as it was only a prototype back in 1943..
they launched it years later in a smaller version in 2003. now for 2010 release they have relaunched it in the original size of 52mm. now if i were to remove the crown protector off my 341, it would be close in size to the mare.

heres a pic of the earlier version and the new version side by side so you can see how much larger the watch is.

now you might not like that watch either due to the size, but my point is, history is history. if you truly understood the history then you would not be putting the 341 down. you would see the vintage nostalgia panerai was aiming for.

heres a group shot of all the original instrument pieces.
way back then the egiziano was considered and still considered a piece of equipment rather than a watch.
panerai was smart enough to think of putting their diving instruments on straps so the divers didnt have to hold them in their hands. panerai are the pioneers when it comes to stuff like this.

not trying to convince anyone to like this watch, its just when i hear comments like "its a clock sized watch" or "it looks rediculous" i just want to share some info to make anyone understand why it is of that size..
Old 30 March 2011, 12:02 PM   #47
mfer
"TRF" Member

that 300 is soooo money. I wish they'd make it in 44
member#3242
Old 30 March 2011, 12:16 PM   #48
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
that 300 is soooo money. I wish they'd make it in 44
they did make it in a smaller size back in 2003. you can still find one from private collectors. seen them priced around 20k

check out the picture above in my post. thats the smaller version.
Old 30 March 2011, 01:03 PM   #49
mfer
"TRF" Member

Yeah, they did in 42mm. I would like a modern reasonable price 44.
Old 1 April 2011, 02:11 AM   #50
Composite
"TRF" Member

Cali

Composite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2011, 02:20 AM   #51
esm
"TRF" Member

Quote:

you said and i quote "clock sized watch" just isn't cool. I'm sure it isnt an image Panerai intended
to answer that. it is exactly what panerai meant to do when they made it in the 50's and when they made it now.. nothing has changed about it.
so please don't say you understand and already know all the history about the egiziano when all you're saying is "it's a clock sized watch"
was the Egyptian created back in the days for the divers when diving wearing diver suit? if so, then it was created for that purpose/intention.

now, if a random someone wearing an Egyptian on his/her bare wrist, then it may give an impression of "a clock sized watch" - simply because would look big and it was not used for its purpose/intention.

but then again - how many people actually use their watch for its original purpose/intention nowadays? i admit - i'm one of them.
Old 1 April 2011, 10:54 AM   #52
hennabav
Banned

Watch: --Rolex--
This is my 232!! I have a small wrist but surprisingly it wears very well even on mine!!

hennabav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2011, 11:30 AM   #53
tian
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1103102224186cc6b78b1696fb.jpg (116.4 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 1103102224fa0f60750c080834.jpg (43.0 KB, 204 views)
tian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2011, 11:56 AM   #54
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
was the Egyptian created back in the days for the divers when diving wearing diver suit? if so, then it was created for that purpose/intention.

now, if a random someone wearing an Egyptian on his/her bare wrist, then it may give an impression of "a clock sized watch" - simply because would look big and it was not used for its purpose/intention.

but then again - how many people actually use their watch for its original purpose/intention nowadays? i admit - i'm one of them.
hey bud, i agree with what you just said 100%..

but i guess its just when you had said "just isn't cool. I'm sure it isnt an image Panerai intended. "

that got me flustered. so i felt the need to let you know it is exactly what panerai meant to do and it is cool, because of the history behind it.
Old 1 April 2011, 12:20 PM   #55
Michael M.
Banned

Nice pics, love the rad 210!
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2011, 01:32 PM   #56
Coastie
"TRF" Member

PAM 322 and PAM 309

Coastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2011, 11:51 PM   #57