The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 20 October 2009, 08:51 AM   #31
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Sea View Post
Here's what I use at work for all my notes & meeting minutes. I've been using these notebooks for almost 10 years, and have referenced them numerous times to see when a particular meeting happened, or see who said what (or agreed to do what). These notebooks, and their contents, have numerous times saved my butt, and more than once proved me wrong in my own assumptions. Either way, they are great for work purposes.

I often will print out email messages and tape them into the notebook, using a highlighter to trace the edge of the email, then tape over it, to show the email was put there chronologically in time. I also use the notebook to capture original ideas, again taping over the notes or drawings, along with the signatures & date of those who were involved, to use in the future. This practice has also helped significantly when somebody else has wrongfully tried to take credit for something they were not part of, or did not do themselves.

This company (Scientific Notebook Company.... www.snco.com ) also has a pocket notebook, which might be a good travel size. For work, I use the 1201, 1301, and 3001 model numbers.

Here's what my work notebooks look like (stock photo, not my actual notebook full of notes):
Excellent information my friend.

I am looking at the site now.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2009, 06:19 PM   #32
Denny M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
Just another thing I forgot to mention is that I keep other things in my journal besides written words.

If you open my Europe 2006 journal there you will find a Swiss 10 Franc note, 2 or 3 strange and lovely small flowers picked on the alpine summits above Innsbruck and pressed in the back pages, the wrapper of a small Swiss chocolate that was served with our coffee at a sidewalk cafe in Paris, a piece of clover picked from the grass at the Tower of London just next to the scaffold area where so many lives were ended, a 5 Euro note collected somewhere in Europe as a 5 pound note from the UK, a leaf from the Linden tree that Martin Borman planted at the Berghof at Berchtesgaden in Bavaria (yes its remnants are still growing there), and lots of other 'flat memories' or things that will press flat.

So that is one of the reasons for the Moleskine. The elastic band keeps everything snugly together and from falling out. They also have a pocket in the back for slipping things into as well as a ribbon bookmark. A well thought out tool for any journalist.

Actually my journal looks more like this than the photo above.

In case you missed it in one of my posts, this photo was from yesterday morning as I was preparing for some entries. I picked this journal up from a young man in Austria that makes them by hand. Very nice!!

Hi Richard,

Great thread! I also keep a journal but only when on holidays overseas. One habit we also share is keeping ephemera - for example a soft drink label, cards from various places we ate at, travel and admission tickets etc.

Just a question about the fountain pen you take with you. does it work as regular pen? Simply pop in an ink cartridge and start writing or something more complicated?
Denny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2009, 06:20 PM   #33
Denny M

Quote:
Just another thing I forgot to mention is that I keep other things in my journal besides written words.

If you open my Europe 2006 journal there you will find a Swiss 10 Franc note, 2 or 3 strange and lovely small flowers picked on the alpine summits above Innsbruck and pressed in the back pages, the wrapper of a small Swiss chocolate that was served with our coffee at a sidewalk cafe in Paris, a piece of clover picked from the grass at the Tower of London just next to the scaffold area where so many lives were ended, a 5 Euro note collected somewhere in Europe as a 5 pound note from the UK, a leaf from the Linden tree that Martin Borman planted at the Berghof at Berchtesgaden in Bavaria (yes its remnants are still growing there), and lots of other 'flat memories' or things that will press flat.

So that is one of the reasons for the Moleskine. The elastic band keeps everything snugly together and from falling out. They also have a pocket in the back for slipping things into as well as a ribbon bookmark. A well thought out tool for any journalist.

In case you missed it in one of my posts, this photo was from yesterday morning as I was preparing for some entries. I picked this journal up from a young man in Austria that makes them by hand. Very nice!!

Hi Richard,

Great thread! I also keep a journal but only when on holidays overseas. One habit we also share is keeping ephemera - for example a soft drink label, cards from various places we ate at, travel and admission tickets etc.

Just a question about the fountain pen you take with you. does it work as regular pen? Simply pop in an ink cartridge and start writing or something more complicated?
Old 20 October 2009, 06:21 PM   #34
Denny M

Quote:

Hi Richard,

Old 20 October 2009, 07:44 PM   #35
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the time go by
Map Journals

For those of you that are not too serious about doing a comprehensive journal on your travels and are in or visiting Australia, why not try one of our Map Journals www.journeyjottings.com UK, US and Europe coming soon?
(Apologies if I am over stepping here mods)
Old 20 October 2009, 11:48 PM   #36
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Richard,

I now understand why you are so passionate about your Pens.

I also admire your passion for this. It comes through in Spades.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 12:54 AM   #37
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny M View Post
Hi Richard,

Another great idea, Denny. Between you and Richard, I have all kinds of things to try moving forward.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2009, 12:20 PM   #38
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
I dont journal but i should...
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2009, 12:59 PM   #39
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
I'd gotten some advice that states that you can build your memory by writing the events of the day. Writing things now to remember later helps embed these thoughts into your concious memory and then later writing the events of the day forces you to recall and then think about them as you write - thereby cementing them into your memory a bit more.
Since I am known to have a poor memory I am going to try it for a month and see if it helps.
Through work I am required to use this daily planner (old pocket dump photo)

(There's a Montblanc mechanical pencil in that planner now) and now am closing each day with a summation of the small things happened during the day and their results. It's not exactly a journal but it's a start towards documenting significant actions or occurances on a daily basis.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2009, 03:16 PM   #40
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5AUS View Post
For those of you that are not too serious about doing a comprehensive journal on your travels and are in or visiting Australia, why not try one of our Map Journals www.journeyjottings.com UK, US and Europe coming soon?
(Apologies if I am over stepping here mods)
This is a great idea! I would certainly try the USA and Europe versions.
Old 2 November 2009, 03:16 PM   #41
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
Richard,

I now understand why you are so passionate about your Pens.

I also admire your passion for this. It comes through in Spades.
Thanks Patrick! Does it show that much??
Old 2 November 2009, 05:14 PM   #42
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the time go by
Quote:
This is a great idea! I would certainly try the USA and Europe versions.
Thanks Richard
Old 28 January 2010, 06:20 PM   #43
gelshocker

Man I am so glad to find this thread! I don't have a strict journal routine but rather write down random thoughts and musings; about stuff happening in my life, my life philosophies, and life injustices I see every day! And also personal achievements and happy memories that I love to collect. I read it helps with depression, which unfortunately I put on in fits.

A beautiful fountain pen and journal (I use moleskine) adds that little bit of pleasure. It's not homework, it's something one enjoys and take time to enjoy. I used to keep track of this stuff on the computer and even mobile phone 'notepads' which was horrible!

I do worry that by using non-permanent ink that the writings will fade or subject to water hazard.

Made my day this thread, Cheers!
gelshocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 07:43 PM   #44
Shangas

Watch: 1957 Ball RR watch
*Puts up hand*

I journal/diary, and I also blog (see signature). It was my blog that was featured in this forum *is proud* and which also led me to joining here. *hi!!*

I fill in my journal with a fountain pen or a dip-pen, and I sign the end of each entry in English and with my Chinese name-chop.
Shangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 09:25 PM   #45
Tylden Reed
TechXpert

Watch: GMTII and more
Journals and other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post
Hi Richard
I don't - but looking at you and thinking of all those wonderful insights you must still be able to reflect on....I am seriously encouraged to begin. What a wonderful discipline.

By the way I think the guy sitting behind you in the photo would have benefited from less time spent in his head and more on the page (ps I hope you're not connected!!)

By the way is that South Kensington way?????
Hi Dalip. Yes, you should start. I write down daily doings just because I have a poor memory - unless it is prompted! Daily jottings are a good prompt. My mind is immediately taken back to the events of the day. BTW I like your picture. Tom Baker recorded some A/phone messages for me and in one he calls me the 'young Time Lord' as he is older than I am, all things are relative! Regards, Tylden.
Tylden Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2010, 09:25 PM   #46
Tylden Reed
TechXpert

Watch: GMTII and more
Journals and other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post
Hi Richard
I don't - but looking at you and thinking of all those wonderful insights you must still be able to reflect on....I am seriously encouraged to begin. What a wonderful discipline.

By the way I think the guy sitting behind you in the photo would have benefited from less time spent in his head and more on the page (ps I hope you're not connected!!)

By the way is that South Kensington way?????
Hi Dalip. Yes, you should start. I write down daily doings just because I have a poor memory - unless it is prompted! Daily jottings are a good prompt. My mind is immediately taken back to the events of the day. BTW I like your picture. Tom Baker recorded some A/phone messages for me and in one he calls me the 'young Time Lord' as he is older than I am, all things are relative! Regards, Tylden.
Tylden Reed is offline   Reply With Quote