The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 February 2010, 11:37 AM   #61
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by gufle View Post
Is the watch shown not a 6262 with the 727 movment, because Daytona is written on the Dial?

As i know Daytona is not written on the dial of a 6239.
Now you know "Daytona" is correct for a 6239 circa 1969. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 01:16 PM   #62
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
err, yes, thats because if it is serviced by anyone other then it receives a side polish and a top polish and both have to be done more if there are nicks on the edge, as the side is taken down it reduced the size of the bevel, the three way polish of side top and angle is where it gets difficult.

i think thats one of ed's old ones, and whilst it has a nice case, it isn#t unpolished.

have a good look at the NOS stock one link posted above, that should be your reference point of how it left the factory.

if the issue is how was it originally, its bevelled, if the question is how it should be if maintained by the manufacturer(i.e. rolex geneva, not an affilitate service centre) then the answer is bevelled. if the question is which do you prefer then that of course is a personal choice and everyone will make their own mind up. These days though the move is originality, and original is bevelled IMHO
Its funny Jed.... many here don't like the bevelled look. I don't know why Personally, I think it looks amazing.
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 01:55 PM   #63
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Well each to their own, it has to be personal
preference, but I've known people fly the atlantic just to get that finish!!
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 02:17 PM   #64
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
I would....
Old 19 February 2010, 04:14 PM   #65
gufle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
Now you know "Daytona" is correct for a 6239 circa 1969. =) maverick
Yes, i am learning every day. I have just never seen a 6239 like that.

So the only difference between the 6239 and the 6262 i the the 72 or 727 movment?

Last edited by gufle; 19 February 2010 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: Added a question
gufle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 04:21 PM   #66
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
I had to go to my safty deposit box and take some stock. Here is a photo of my rig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 010.jpg (53.3 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 015.jpg (58.6 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 016.jpg (50.8 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 007.jpg (37.2 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 005.jpg (37.8 KB, 177 views)
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 04:34 PM   #67
DadsWatch72
Banned

Box, I don't need no stinking box..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 009.jpg (37.5 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg Picture%20027.jpg (46.0 KB, 180 views)
Old 19 February 2010, 10:23 PM   #68
jdc
"TRF" Member

Great info Jed, an education in vintage, thanks
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2010, 11:55 PM   #69
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Here is that thread on bevel edges.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ighlight=bevel

Here are a couple more pictures. I was drinking a few last night and forgot some I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 008.jpg (40.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 012.jpg (46.4 KB, 152 views)
Old 20 February 2010, 12:31 AM   #70
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
LOL, thats the point the watch was sold with a bevel like that, there are only two service centres that can recreate it, Rolex UK and Rolex Geneva ( where that was serviced) and generally people pay a premium for the ' bexley' edge as its known, thats why the watch is shot to show the edge

. there is no one who kills a case polish better than Rolex USA, mind you there is no one in the world who kills vintage watches better than Rolex usa full stop !!!!

heres another ;

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...s/IMG_2079.jpg
Rolex USA didn't have a problem with the bevel on mine. The only difference is that they didn't go hog wild with the grinder. My bevel is very thin, fine, and uniform (you can see it reflecting).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture%20037.jpg (275.3 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Picture%20057.jpg (244.4 KB, 175 views)
Old 20 February 2010, 12:59 AM   #71
DadsWatch72
Banned

This bevel is horrible IMO. If mine would have come back looking like this........I would have sued them. It seriously reduces the size and shape of the lugs. It's not uniform on the end/corner where the bevel becomes very wide. They took a lot of medal off.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20767...-%26gt%3B+more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5910.jpg (20.1 KB, 147 views)
Old 20 February 2010, 02:36 AM   #72
jdc
"TRF" Member

Dad's I am not sure what the point of linking to the previous link about polishing the edges of the vintage watches is as it seems many people had different opinions often based on preference. I would rather value the opinion of a few how seem to have real vintage knowledge.
It would be great to see you put your watch on the market with its non original replacements and see if vintage buyers have such a high opinion as you have of your watch.
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2010, 03:38 AM   #73
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

I would be proud to own both Dennis and Dad's vintage Rolex, just fantastic watches.

Even though Dads does go on a bit.

Since I found out that I have no place in Pav's will, no more praise for his watches.
Old 20 February 2010, 04:21 AM   #74
maverick
Banned

Thank you for the kind words. I only posed a pic of mine to reply to the post that a 6239 does not have the word "Daytona" written on the dial. Lets remember Rolex did strange things with Daytonas around this time period as far as dials. As Jedly pointed out some can have no Daytona some can have it in several different locations depending on the dial.

Dads, the bevel may not be your cup 'o tea but most collectors would die for a bevel like you showed on nice thick lugs.

The DRSD is a beauty and a rare watch indeed.

We all have our preferences and should respect another person's as well. JMHO =) maverick
Old 20 February 2010, 04:31 AM   #75
jedly1
"TRF" Member

sorry dadwatch, if i had known the conversation started with explorer 2 orange hands, i'd have thought to post this up straight away.

I'll say again to you what i said to steve (lol-x) at dinner on monday night, the bevel is factory original, it is how the watch was supplied and how if polished correctly to manufacturers spec it wil be kept. if you dont like it great, it's a free world, polish it out, but to say it has been done from poor workmanship is incorrect and mis informed, it is particulalry hard to acheive and in my experience only Rolex UK and Rolex Genenva have the ability or inclination to do it correctly.

in that linked thread dadswatch, you show modern cases which are completely different or you show incorrectly polished cases with a minimal bevel or squared edges, you will find thousands of examples like that and by far and away the majority are like that, that is why when maintained and done correctly they are prized in collecting circles.

a friends NOS totally unworn 1655 as it left the factory, he was lucky enough to buy a pair that were bought and never worn. compare it to the one steve started that other thread with.

Old 20 February 2010, 04:48 AM   #76
hennabav
Banned

Watch: --Rolex--
Quote:
sorry dadwatch, if i had known the conversation started with explorer 2 orange hands, i'd have thought to post this up straight away.

I'll say again to you what i said to steve (lol-x) at dinner on monday night, the bevel is factory original, it is how the watch was supplied and how if polished correctly to manufacturers spec it wil be kept. if you dont like it great, it's a free world, polish it out, but to say it has been done from poor workmanship is incorrect and mis informed, it is particulalry hard to acheive and in my experience only Rolex UK and Rolex Genenva have the ability or inclination to do it correctly.

in that linked thread dadswatch, you show modern cases which are completely different or you show incorrectly polished cases with a minimal bevel or squared edges, you will find thousands of examples like that and by far and away the majority are like that, that is why when maintained and done correctly they are prized in collecting circles.

a friends NOS totally unworn 1655 as it left the factory, he was lucky enough to buy a pair that were bought and never worn. compare it to the one steve started that other thread with.

Unbelievable!!! I want that watch but my wallet doesn't permit.
hennabav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2010, 05:06 AM   #77
onkyo
Banned

Quote:

OMG!!! A NOS straight second hand Exp II 1655!!!!

If your friend ever wants to sell it.... I am the buyer.
Old 20 February 2010, 05:10 AM   #78
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Talk about a time capsule Rolex.

If that came on the market I'd pop a hole in the piggy bank and enter the bidding myself.
Old 20 February 2010, 05:16 AM   #79
jedly1
"TRF" Member

If I remember right the other of the pair was sold, and realized about a 50-60% premium over what a really good example was selling for at the time !!
Old 20 February 2010, 05:49 AM   #80
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
If I remember right the other of the pair was sold, and realized about a 50-60% premium over what a really good example was selling for at the time !!
Can't stop staring at those pics Jed.... just amazing. And never to be seen again.
Old 20 February 2010, 07:09 AM   #81
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc View Post
Dad's I am not sure what the point of linking to the previous link about polishing the edges of the vintage watches is as it seems many people had different opinions often based on preference. I would rather value the opinion of a few how seem to have real vintage knowledge.
It would be great to see you put your watch on the market with its non original replacements and see if vintage buyers have such a high opinion as you have of your watch.
I enjoy and respect others opinions. Thats how I learned much of what I know about these watches. And thats also why I posted that link for example. You can see I didn't know what I was looking at in regard to the bevel and which model was suppose to have one or not. I will let those who know more about each model make that determination. All I know is what I like and what I see in comparison. I do respect others opinions and I also have my own opinions. Both should be respected equally. I'm not making an attack on anyone or their opinions. I am merely talkin watches. I think thats how we all learn from each other.

And to comment on your comment in regard to my watch.....they seem to like it in the Vintage Rolex Forum and it is in their dial archive. And the non original replacements (service replacement parts) were the only option I had besides searching for them on the open market. When I looked for them, I found a lot of nothing and fakes. The original bezel went the way of the Dodo bird so I was forced into a decision. If I had searched for and was lucky enough to find the parts needed to restore the bezel parts (which I did in vain) then I would be limited to a very few and most in poor condition. I was told that the replacement bezel came from Geneva. Its the same as the original I was told. Now the insert and pearl are different and everyone can see they aren't exactly the same as the original. Now I know a few places to find an insert and it wouldn't be a big stretch to get an original faded and scratched up insert with an original Tritium pearl. I think Steve M. was selling these pearls not too long ago. Same goes with the crystal. If someone wanted to replace the perfectly good service replacement crystal with a superdome then go for it. All and all its not going to break the bank. I know there would be some "vintage guys" that raise an eyebrow at the insert/pearl. Maybe even a few would do the same with the replacement 93150 bracelet. I respect the collectors that seek, own, and restore "all original" watches. If I put my watch for sale on the open market as you suggest, I think some would pass it right by and some would want to replace those service parts. Some would keep it just the way RUSA left it. It would be a mish mash of opinions. This is why restraunts have menu's. We all have different tastes.
Old 20 February 2010, 07:13 AM   #82
DadsWatch72
Banned

And btw, I'm pretty sure onkyo knows (I hope you do buddy) I was just having a bit of fun with that little pissing match about our watches. I had to fire back after I lost round one with Welshman's comment about his "rig". I think it's an awsome example (almost as nice as mine).
Old 20 February 2010, 07:21 AM   #83
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
I enjoy and respect others opinions. Thats how I learned much of what I know about these watches. And thats also why I posted that link for example. You can see I didn't know what I was looking at in regard to the bevel and which model was suppose to have one or not. I will let those who know more about each model make that determination. All I know is what I like and what I see in comparison. I do respect others opinions and I also have my own opinions. Both should be respected equally. I'm not making an attack on anyone or their opinions. I am merely talkin watches. I think thats how we all learn from each other.

And to comment on your comment in regard to my watch.....they seem to like it in the Vintage Rolex Forum and it is in their dial archive. And the non original replacements (service replacement parts) were the only option I had besides searching for them on the open market. When I looked for them, I found a lot of nothing and fakes. The original bezel went the way of the Dodo bird so I was forced into a decision. If I had searched for and was lucky enough to find the parts needed to restore the bezel parts (which I did in vain) then I would be limited to a very few and most in poor condition. I was told that the replacement bezel came from Geneva. Its the same as the original I was told. Now the insert and pearl are different and everyone can see they aren't exactly the same as the original. Now I know a few places to find an insert and it wouldn't be a big stretch to get an original faded and scratched up insert with an original Tritium pearl. I think Steve M. was selling these pearls not too long ago. Same goes with the crystal. If someone wanted to replace the perfectly good service replacement crystal with a superdome then go for it. All and all its not going to break the bank. I know there would be some "vintage guys" that raise an eyebrow at the insert/pearl. Maybe even a few would do the same with the replacement 93150 bracelet. I respect the collectors that seek, own, and restore "all original" watches. If I put my watch for sale on the open market as you suggest, I think some would pass it right by and some would want to replace those service parts. Some would keep it just the way RUSA left it. It would be a mish mash of opinions. This is why restraunts have menu's. We all have different tastes.
The most important opinion is your own when you look at your watch.... its a rare beauty for sure. But if you ever want to sell it then you have to 'close your eyes' and view it as others would view it. Now, it would still be worth a pretty penny as is but not as much as if it had all period correct/original components.... as that is what collectors are looking for. Replacement parts and service papers really do not add much to the value. It's all about the beauty (and rarity) of original.
Old 20 February 2010, 07:23 AM   #84
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
And btw, I'm pretty sure onkyo knows (I hope you do buddy) I was just having a bit of fun with that little pissing match about our watches. I had to fire back after I lost round one with Welshman's comment about his "rig". I think it's an awsome example (almost as nice as mine).
I know..... I am an easy going kinda guy who like watches too much and with no kids to support I have to spend my hard earned money somewhere....

ps.... I liked your comment "he's a show off" .... made me really
Old 20 February 2010, 07:31 AM   #85
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyo View Post
I know..... I am an easy going kinda guy who like watches too much and with no kids to support I have to spend my hard earned money somewhere....

ps.... I liked your comment "he's a show off" .... made me really
You know......your gonna make me buy a box and book to go with my watch. And you'll crap when I throw a superdome on the thing.
Old 20 February 2010, 08:27 AM   #86
shaggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLUE ARAB DAYTONA
interesting thing i have noticed is that on the letter from Rolex service dept on dadswatch is it says(couldnt read it right as my eyes are not what they were) something like "replacement value if lost $7000" now im defo not an expert but is it not worth a lot more?
and are they saying that if its lost they will only give funds for a new one?
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2010, 08:33 AM   #87
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
interesting thing i have noticed is that on the letter from Rolex service dept on dadswatch is it says(couldnt read it right as my eyes are not what they were) something like "replacement value if lost $7000" now im defo not an expert but is it not worth a lot more?
and are they saying that if its lost they will only give funds for a new one?
In the unlikely event of loss or damage, your watch will be replaced with a current or similar Rolex model with an approximate retail value of $7,000.00.

Yeah, I would say it's probably worth at least $8,000. $9,000 if it had the original bezel and insert.
Old 20 February 2010, 08:54 AM   #88
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
err, yes, thats because if it is serviced by anyone other then it receives a side polish and a top polish and both have to be done more if there are nicks on the edge, as the side is taken down it reduced the size of the bevel, the three way polish of side top and angle is where it gets difficult.

i think thats one of ed's old ones, and whilst it has a nice case, it isn#t unpolished.

have a good look at the NOS stock one link posted above, that should be your reference point of how it left the factory.

if the issue is how was it originally, its bevelled, if the question is how it should be if maintained by the manufacturer(i.e. rolex geneva, not an affilitate service centre) then the answer is bevelled. if the question is which do you prefer then that of course is a personal choice and everyone will make their own mind up. These days though the move is originality, and original is bevelled IMHO
If your saying that the case with the bevel is original....and ......the first pictures of the Mark IV DRSD case from the Double Red Sea Dweller website has had its bevel "polished" out/off then you can also say the bevel'ed watch's lugs should be thicker than the one from the DRSD website. The bevel'ed watch's lugs look more narrow on the end to me. The only real way to find out is to "mic" them both.

Here is another Mark IV for comparison with what appears to be finer bevel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5910.jpg (38.0 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 1665Red3_55Mil-MkIV-tomvox1.jpg (89.2 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5908.jpg (37.6 KB, 160 views)
Old 20 February 2010, 09:33 AM   #89
jedly1
"TRF" Member

I think I follow what you are trying to say, the simple answer sometimes is that ones with a bevelled style original edge provide a bit of an optical illusion and if you actually put half a dozen watches on a table the ones that look fatter and square cut often aren't when you put them next to an unpolished orginal but with rgards to the one you show that you say should be fatter, obviously that isn't neccessairly so, width will depend on how many services / polishes etc, what we are talking about is the correct and original STYLE of polishing, but if that had had three and the othEr only ne then obviously it would be thinner!!

You can't pull up diiferent watches that have been serviced and compare lug widths when you have no idea how many services or depths if dings had to be removed etc. What is beyond doubt is the correct and original style as per the nos examples shown.
Old 20 February 2010, 11:00 AM   #90
maverick
Banned

Quote:

Watches like that are what I dream of finding. Wow, it's gorgous! =) maverick