The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 January 2006, 10:56 AM   #1
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
Interesting question

Just picked up the new copy of WatchTime and read the interview of the owner of Ventura watches. While he complemented Apple Computer(the best computer), and Rolex(the best watch), he also said something that gave me pause. He said that the younger generation, 35 and under, don't seem interested about fine mechanical watches, and that the market for them will dry up. It made me think, being 35 myself. I've got to say after thinking about it that he may be right, i don't see too many guys my age or younger, wearing fine watches, or understanding my passion for them. Maybe it's different in Europe??
As for his watches, I like the designs, but would never pay $Thousands for a digital watch.
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2006, 10:58 AM   #2
Spencer
"TRF" Member

I turn 26 on January 15th. I guess I don't fit into his classification.

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2006, 11:10 AM   #3
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I have been doing this watch thing for about 5 years and I turn 31 this month. He may have a point though. If you look at how hard they are trying to get new watchmakers trained, that profession was almost dead.

I don't think that it will ever die out, the product and demand are both too good.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2006, 11:41 AM   #4
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
I think the article is off base there. First, not all younger people have at least 4-5K for a new watch. Watchmaker shortage = $$ for watchmakers=more people becoming watchmakers. Supply and demand. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2006, 12:11 PM   #5
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
It's just one guys opinion, he could be totally off base. Looking at the average age of our membership, I'd say he was.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2006, 03:22 PM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
That guy's got it all wrong!! Just look at me....only 29....and I've been into watches since the last 30 years!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2006, 03:28 PM   #7
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
That guy's got it all wrong!! Just look at me....only 29....and I've been into watches since the last 30 years!!!
There goes JJ and his math again.

Let me help you out JJ, you are 129 and have been into watches since the 1930's.

G' night mate.

Old 8 January 2006, 03:29 PM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman

Let me help you out JJ, you are 129 and have been into watches since the 1930's.

G' night mate.
Good night, pal....must be 11:30 pm there!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2006, 09:22 PM   #9
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:

G' night mate.
LMAO Daren
Old 9 January 2006, 03:58 AM   #10
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:

G' night mate.
I told you JJ had problems with any math higher than 1+1.

As for the passion for high end watches diminishing, I am skeptical of that kind of thinking. First, look at the membership here (and on other watch fora). I'd bet you'll find the average to be in the 30's - low 40's. As Dennis pointed out, most younger people don't have the scratch to acquire a really high end watch. They are too busy paying off college loans, building a family, etc. But you find many of them with the interest and desire.

Let's face it, the population of watch aficionados is quite small compared to the population as a whole. So it will always appear that there are very few people interested. But as for a declining population, I don't think so.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2006, 04:24 AM   #11
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl
Just picked up the new copy of WatchTime and read the interview of the owner of Ventura watches. While he complemented Apple Computer(the best computer), and Rolex(the best watch), he also said something that gave me pause. He said that the younger generation, 35 and under, don't seem interested about fine mechanical watches, and that the market for them will dry up. It made me think, being 35 myself. I've got to say after thinking about it that he may be right, i don't see too many guys my age or younger, wearing fine watches, or understanding my passion for them. Maybe it's different in Europe??
As for his watches, I like the designs, but would never pay $Thousands for a digital watch.
It’s an opinion, nothing more and nothing less. The ‘best’ of anything still had to be invented. Furthermore, ‘best’ is a relative and subjective statement. Anyhoo, the logic behind his reasoning is wrong. First, more and more existing brands are starting to bring out mechanical watches, e.g. Timex. This could be the first wave of a mechanical watch renaissance or just some attempts to try the water. Second, if we focus our attention to the higher-end mechanical watches, the buying power starts at 35, not below. I say the market for these watches is healthier then ever, I come across watch magazines everywhere I go. It’s a luxury item and there’s always room and demand for luxury. I’ll give one example: the vinyl record is supposed to be dead and buried but there’re more high-end turntables (costing upwards of $10,000) than 10 years ago! If there’s a market, people will make them and they will be bought.
Old 9 January 2006, 05:36 AM   #12
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Around here, I don't see many Rolex's being worn by young or old.
BUT, I let my 17 year old nephew wear my new Sub at Christmas.
I think he was more excited about wearing the watch than being drafted by a top notch hockey team.
I have planted the seed, so I'm sure once he signs his first real "contract" witha big team, we are off to the local AD to pick up his own.
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2006, 05:42 AM   #13
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Second opinion.
I think quality luxury items are usually purchased later in life.
Exotic cars, Spectacular Homes, Clothing & watches are no exception.
You will find the odd young person in a BMW, Porsche or Ferrari, but I would guess the high end versions of these aren't purchased until mid 30's or later.
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2006, 08:39 AM   #14
infoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: '06 SS DJ OYSTER
I just turned 25, and Ive always wanted the finer things in life. Rolex being the latest of items that has cought my attention. Ive always liked watches and tried to get the best of what I could according to the amount of money I made. I have the bmw now and next I'll get my rolex.
infoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2006, 09:03 AM   #15
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
A couple of things:

1) I suspect that the lad being interviewed has either never visited Asia or simply did not account for that in his statement. At any given time in Singapore, I see enough Rolexes and other high-end mechanical watches to fill any boardroom in the world, and I'm fairly certain that this in itself should keep the market afloat.

2) The technology is inevitably getting older, auto-wind having been the last major leap in design, keeping in mind that we've yet to see how Seiko's new miracle doodad affects the market. Of course, since the advent of quartz, any new development has been incremental, but in the 1930s the automatic would have been the equivalent of, say, the Kinetic system. In effect, we are witnessing a similar uptake of technology, but the technology has by definition changed.

3) As an extension of the previous point, the nature of the market for mechanical watches has changed. While these watches were previously purchased en masse because they were the current technology bat the time, these days they are being purchased as classics in relation to cheap quartz watches. Of course the market will shrink when it's supplanted by newer designs - you don't see fountain pens outnumbering disposable Bics or Zippos being more plentiful than dispoable plastic lighters, but neither market has died out, has it? The nature of the classic market is that it is smaller and perhaps slower-moving than that flogging current and common items, but nonetheless attracts a more loyal customer base.
Old 9 January 2006, 09:16 AM   #16
infoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: '06 SS DJ OYSTER
The nature of the classic market is that it is smaller and perhaps slower-moving than that flogging current and common items, but nonetheless attracts a more loyal customer base.

very well put, a more sophisticated customer base you might say.
infoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2006, 09:22 AM   #17
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
For a moment there I thought we had an echo. It's probably easier to use the "Quote" button, infoe.
Old 9 January 2006, 11:06 AM   #18
molex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl
He said that the younger generation, 35 and under, don't seem interested about fine mechanical watches, and that the market for them will dry up.
I hope he's 100% right. I'm turning 35 in a few months, and it would be a great B-day present for me if I could go out and buy a mil sub or a DRSD for, say.... $3k? Less?

That sound in your ears is me blowing as hard as I can to try and help the market "dry up"
molex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2006, 12:31 PM   #19
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by molex
I hope he's 100% right. I'm turning 35 in a few months, and it would be a great B-day present for me if I could go out and buy a mil sub or a DRSD for, say.... $3k? Less?

That sound in your ears is me blowing as hard as I can to try and help the market "dry up"
Micah, you blowing hot air in an ear or another body part?