The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 January 2021, 05:19 PM   #1
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
The Perfect Time Piece? A List of Desiderata

I was engaged in polite debate on another forum over the distinction between those who select their watch for a purpose or function and those who select a timepiece because they’re the most aesthetically pleasing. This got me thinking as to what a blend of watches would end up in my Perfect watch.

Given that I fall into the former category, and my perfect timepiece would be a function of needed functionality and that I’m a one-watch guy, mine would be a maximally functional, bulletproof, travellers’ gmt (in the way that the 116710 nearly gets but sins (in the original sense of the word) slightly).

I ended up generating this following list and developing a sort of amalgamation of what I consider to be the best bits of many different watches in order to create both my perfect functional and aesthetically pleasing watch.

1) The aesthetics of the NTTD are pretty much perfect (as are the fit, finish, and dimensions). The 1675 (matt dial) comes a close second — even though they’re quite a bit different (they’ve still a warm vintage feel to them).
2) The functionality of the SBGE201 (minus the silly PR gauge — I never take my watch off, so I could care less how long it lasts; nor do I care how pretty the movement is (and thus don’t need a space-taking display back).
3) Bremont’s shock protection provides the best movement security.
4) The Monta bracelet and clasp are the pinnacle of bracelet tech (in titanium and to match the NTTD case would be a boon (though the Ti Milanese is very refined and stunning, and Monta’s bracelet is well engineered, the Rolex Oyster is the most comfortable bracelet I’ve ever worn).
5) The GS lume is king of lumes.
6) The 8906 is a nice movement and I love the Daniels’ escapement, but I think that the 3187 is a technically more stable movement (ymmv).
7) 42/13.5/20 is the perfect dimension for me.
8) Draken’s Tugala lumed date wheel would be a nice touch.
9) I’d have liked to see a lumed 1-23 rehaut/chapter ring, but the stunning domed crystal of the NTTD would only distort it and the dial sits very close to the crystal (I’m not sure a usable area exists — perhaps it would with an extra hand).
10) The 116710 bezel mechanism has the nicest feel to its operation; the NTTD clicks are a bit 1960. Otherwise, the bezel style and material of the NTTD is perfect.
11) The domed sapphire crystal on the NTTD is an absolute delight too. I’m not fond of the glare and clinical look of the Rolex crystals.
12) Rolexes trip-lock crown is an extra effort of manufacture, but the engineer in me appreciates it (as I do the over-all build quality, which is perhaps (and subjectively) only superseded by GS or PP).
13) Date at 3 — because I’m funny like that and like being able to see the date as my watch is still partially covered by coat/shirt/sweater etc.

I thought it’d be an interesting topic to post to the forum and equally interesting to hear what your preferences (either functionally or aesthetically driven) would look like. I’m not a genius with the photoshop, but I’d love to see the watch I’ve designed above!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 06:19 PM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
The Perfect Time Piece? A List of Desiderata

1. I love the Gerald Genta design. The Royal Oak case design is without a doubt my favorite.
2. Perfect dimension for me would be 40mm diameter, 12.5mm height, 48mm end to end.
3. The bracelet would remain integrated but I prefer less moving parts and the Tudor North Flag H bracelet would be my choice.
4. The dial would also be the North flag dial sans the power reserve at 9 o’clock which will be moved to the back and be replaced by the 9 Arabic in the same styling as the 6, and 12.
5. The movement will be the 3285 for the dual time zone and date function.
6. The sapphire crystal will be flat with a beveled edge. The caseback would also be a sapphire crystal akin to the Vacheron Constantin overseas.
7. Watch constructed in titanium, tegimented using Sinn tech
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 06:29 PM   #3
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Take the Patek 5740, knock 2mm off the diameter, brush the bracelet, add a minute repeater whilst at the same time making the movement as robust as a Rolex sports watch (without removing any beauty or finesse) and I’m done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote