The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 October 2022, 03:42 PM   #31
Andy0331
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I've noticeably suffered from it since '94, when one particular range evolution left me half-deaf for several days. Infantry Marine, when hearing protection consisted of wearing one earplug so you could still hear & communicate.

I also occasionally suffer from a temporary total loss of hearing in my right ear, which is an incredibly bizarre experience that also affects my equilibrium.

The tinnitus itself is ever present, but usually drowned out by the voices in my head.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 04:55 PM   #32
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
I’ve had tinnitus since the early 80s. Flew on Air Force jet transports for 20 years, kind of hard to avoid. I normally hear it at night or during periods of quiet, my ears will pop and it starts. Can last for a few seconds to hours on end.

I don’t have any special way to treat it I just deal with it. Fortunately, it’s not too bad.

Good luck.
chieftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 05:36 PM   #33
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
It comes and goes with me. Often nothing, sometimes a few days of tinnitus, and the occasional bad day. It's never maddening, but it can be distracting. I recently discovered something called Brown Noise, which I've heard can help (it's mostly used for relaxation or concentration, I believe) and some say this can help. It's like a more listenable White Noise, There's hours of it on YouTube if you do a quick search.
Old 11 October 2022, 06:28 PM   #34
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

I'm ok, 'till someone mentions it!!
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 09:43 PM   #35
Golfguy77
"TRF" Member

I have it as well. Many years of loud music and not using heating protection. Don’t really notice it much unless I’m in a quiet room.

Last edited by Golfguy77; 11 October 2022 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: Typo
Golfguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 10:20 PM   #36
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0331 View Post
I've noticeably suffered from it since '94, when one particular range evolution left me half-deaf for several days. Infantry Marine, when hearing protection consisted of wearing one earplug so you could still hear & communicate.

I also occasionally suffer from a temporary total loss of hearing in my right ear, which is an incredibly bizarre experience that also affects my equilibrium.

The tinnitus itself is ever present, but usually drowned out by the voices in my head.
Have you seen a doc about the symptoms? Could be Ménière’s disease.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 10:53 PM   #37
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Ahhhh tinnitus my dear and close friend. My solution, make peace with it. Nothing helps, not even science. It's just us two in the room called my head.
Thank you army for one of the many parting gifts(no regrets though).
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 11:13 PM   #38
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
It comes and goes with me. Often nothing, sometimes a few days of tinnitus, and the occasional bad day. It's never maddening, but it can be distracting. I recently discovered something called Brown Noise, which I've heard can help (it's mostly used for relaxation or concentration, I believe) and some say this can help. It's like a more listenable White Noise, There's hours of it on YouTube if you do a quick search.
Thank you Adam, I’m going to give that a try.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 12:16 AM   #39
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
I agree. I worked in factories, on construction sites, jack hammers drilling underground, decades of shooting sports and hunting, and the only time I notice any amount of ringing in my ears is when it's very quiet and someone talks about it.
(Like now)
Yobber76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 12:28 AM   #40
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
This is a simplistic explanation. Though this is not the case in every instance, hearing loss causes a decrease in auditory nerve stimulation to the brain. The brain replaces the missing stimulation with tinnitus. When auditory frequencies are replaced or amplified by hearing aids, it’s thought that the brain decreases the self-stimulation in the form of tinnitus.

Nerve impulses to the brain or brain-generated stimulation do not have “phase” characteristics, so noise-canceling technology doesn’t work for tinnitus.
I understand that the aids simply mask, not cancel, the offending frequency with one that may be less obtrusive. Much like the white noise machine I use by my bedside.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 02:53 AM   #41
prnceofpersia23

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Exactly. The more you focus on it, the more it becomes an issue.

This thread shouldn't exist!
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 04:12 AM   #42
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
NEVER suggest this to a certified Hypochondriac!!!! Whatever this disease is, I am sure I have it. I better google it and see how long I have to live…

It was nice knowing you guys….
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 05:39 AM   #43
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
I always had a very small, baseline amount that was only noticeable when it was really quiet at night. I grew up in a household where my father's area of technical expertise was occupational health and safety products at 3M, so ear plugs, ear muffs, and respirators were literally growing on trees at our house. I always wore hearing protection whenever operating equipment, using power tools, going to concerts, shooting, and I always kept volume levels low whenever using headphones or ear buds. I still do all of the above.

Anyway, ~48 hours after I received my first Covid vaccine dose, I was standing at the kitchen sink pouring a glass of water when all of a sudden it sounded like someone turned on a light switch and I could hear this loud, high pitched frequency "wheeeeeee" ramp up. I thought it was an external sound at first, so I began searching throughout the kitchen to try to find where the sound was coming from. That was when I realized that the sound was originating from inside my own head. That began my journey with tinnitus over these last 18 months. There's a very small population of us who have had this inflammatory response to the vaccine which produces tinnitus, but it could be much, much worse. There's another very small population whose inflammatory response involves the heart.

For me, the sound abated only slightly during my gap between the first and second vaccine dose, and then it came right back after the 2nd dose. It has not abated at all since then, despite efforts to attempt to focus on reducing the inflammatory response. I got Covid in May, and there was no change for better or worse. My booster (3rd) shot also did not make it worse, but nothing has improved. Before I get my 4th shot I am seeing an ENT to discuss my experience. Sometimes the frequency changes pitch and/or volume, and sometimes if loud noises in my environment are too close to the pitch of my tinnitus, it can be uncomfortable.

I feel fortunate in that I have some connections. A close friend of mine, who's dad was the head of one of the specialized cardiology departments at Mayo, also just had the same response. My friend's tinnitus ramped up shortly after getting his 4th shot. His "turned on" later that evening after he got home from the appointment. His dad knows the head of the vaccine research department at the Mayo Medical School, who ironically also got tinnitus from his 1st shot while he was sitting there during the 15 minute observation window, so that doctor is working on gathering data to study this very rare response. He and my wife directed us to some research that is being conducted at Stanford University, where they are currently working on specialized stimulation techniques that work to retrain your brain to ignore the sound.

The research that is taking place at Stanford is just fascinating. I can't even begin to explain it, but during their research using this stimulation they have been able to "teach" the blind to "see" by using these other senses, teach the deaf to "hear" by using other senses, and now they are applying it to tinnitus. The closest thing would be how the blind are able to learn to use Braille to the point where they can literally read novels written in Braille without even thinking about it. Your brain is this amazing computer that just adapts and learns these new inputs. The research for the deaf and blind has been utilizing these special vests, which receive inputs and then create specialized vibrations which the brain learns to decipher and then process. The tinnitus application uses a wrist device.

TED Talk about this:
https://youtu.be/4c1lqFXHvqI

Product:
https://neosensory.com/tinnitus-solution/

Podcast episode discussing this:
Episode 585: Dr. David Eagleman, Stanford Neuroscientist, Serial Entrepreneur, and Author l SOFREP Radio
https://sofrep.com/sofrep-radio/epis...ur-and-author/

My friend just ordered the tinnitus therapy device and it will be arriving shortly. If it goes well for him I might also try it.

As I am working through this I will happily report back here and by all means, please feel free to PM me if you want to create a small group of fellow TRF members who are experiencing this. I'll let you know if my friend has any success with the new Neosensory device.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 02:30 PM   #44
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Some of the posts on this thread had me searching Youtube for Brown Noise. While searching, I came across this various frequency video. The noise combo is a little strange at first, with what sounds like crickets and beeping to me, but after a couple minutes I could barely notice the ringing at all. As stated in my previous post, my Tinnitus is quite severe, usually louder than a conversation or the TV, so to be able to mask it even partially is a win for me . This video is labeled as a "cure", that it did not do, but it did give me a break from such loud ringing.

Tinnitus Cure In 30 Minutes | Most Powerful Tinnitus Binaural Beats Music - Sound Healing Therapy
https://youtu.be/jXTbIvbxuA4
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2022, 12:43 AM   #45
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
Some of the posts on this thread had me searching Youtube for Brown Noise. While searching, I came across this various frequency video. The noise combo is a little strange at first, with what sounds like crickets and beeping to me, but after a couple minutes I could barely notice the ringing at all. As stated in my previous post, my Tinnitus is quite severe, usually louder than a conversation or the TV, so to be able to mask it even partially is a win for me . This video is labeled as a "cure", that it did not do, but it did give me a break from such loud ringing.

Tinnitus Cure In 30 Minutes | Most Powerful Tinnitus Binaural Beats Music - Sound Healing Therapy
I feel for you brother, I really do. I have talked to some people that have it and I feel grateful that mine isn't as debilitating as others have experienced. Try to find different sounds and/or frequencies to listen to and maybe some other sounds might give you even more respite from your condition. I wish you the best.
Old 15 October 2022, 02:13 AM   #46
Euge
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Watches
I got it, 40dBs at 6khz in right side….the only thing I can say is try not to pay attention to it……
Because if you do, it’s always there.
At night it’s when it becomes a little more uncomfortable for me.
Music at low volumes help mask it.

I got it or found out when my dog barked very loud and I was working in my computer in a corner of my house,
The barking kind of echoed in the corner….
I also think hearing to very loud music as a teenager played a role here…think I only found out that day I had it and didn’t go away.
I also work in the Construction Industry that is also a loud environment and doesn’t help, might also contributed.

The audiologist told me this can happen instantly with a very loud noise and/or hearing loss over time.

I’ve also heard some people after covid have experienced tinnitus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2022, 07:43 AM   #47
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
My brother really suffers with it and I clearly have it to some degree--the high pitched whine. But I really am not aware of it on a daily basis unless in a very quiet room. Like being in the den surfing TRF, as I am now.

So I have come to associate Paul's posts with my tinnitus. Tumi posts especially.

Really sorry for those of you who suffer with it as my brother does. Truly a life-altering condition.
Old 17 October 2022, 01:50 AM   #48
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post

I heard quite a few of these but I'll be damned if this one didn't actually alleviate the ringing. Didn't think it was working until I turned it off and for a brief moment, felt a sort of silence.
Thank you for sharing this.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 02:00 AM   #49
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
I heard quite a few of these but I'll be damned if this one didn't actually alleviate the ringing. Didn't think it was working until I turned it off and for a brief moment, felt a sort of silence.
Thank you for sharing this.
Awesome, glad it could help!

I didn't realize it would really make a difference, but I tried playing this so my wife could hear it yesterday. I played the audio from my laptop and it didn't even sound like the same frequencies. For anyone trying it out, I would definitely recommend headphones or ear buds.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 06:29 PM   #50
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

I'm blaming mine, on noisy crash helmets.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 07:38 PM   #51
nellywilk
"TRF" Member

I started to have it two weeks ago and honestly it is awful.
No idea how to cope with that
nellywilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 01:32 AM   #52
TOOK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunron View Post
I started having a constant high pitched ringing in my ears about 25 years ago. I know exactly what caused it. It was from shooting my firearm inside of a large dirt pit without hearing protection. The ringing has never gone away since that day. Two days ago, a second, lower pitched frequency started in my left ear. But this time there was no obvious reason for it. Does anyone else suffer from tinnitus and do they have any recommendations or treatments that help alleviate the ringing?
I have extremely bad tinnitus from my time in the military, which is also impacted by hearing loss. The VA has issued me hearing aids that have a pitch built in to help with the tinnitus and improve my surrounding hearing.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
TOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2022, 11:54 PM   #53
nellywilk
"TRF" Member

What kind of hearing aids do you have?
Did it make your tinnitus more bearable?
nellywilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2022, 12:21 AM   #54
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
My mother has Meieres it’s debilitating… just awful.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2022, 12:28 AM   #55
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellywilk View Post
What kind of hearing aids do you have?
Did it make your tinnitus more bearable?
I have Phonak Audeo M50-R behind-the-ear aids for daily wear and Phonak in-ear aids for sports and bike/ski helmets. The BTE aids have two microphones and provide Bluetooth capabilities.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote