The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12 November 2022, 01:37 AM   #91
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBobo View Post
As this thread progresses BTC is soaring.
you were saying?
Old 12 November 2022, 01:47 AM   #92
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I think the collapse of crypto will be great! At least young adults will have a sense of reality that without hard work and a proper career, money doesn’t fall from the sky. Show up to work at 8am in the morning and get things done instead of dreaming about being a crypto billionaire like SBF who now might end up in jail. Bloomberg is comparing FTX to Theranos and Madoff - that’s definitely two people you don’t want to be associated with…
The comparison to the Madoff ponzi scheme definitely came to mind.
Old 12 November 2022, 01:54 AM   #93
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Yes, as was the 2007/2008 mortgage-back 'securities' scam by investment bankers. There's manipulation by the OPEC cartel on oil supply, front-running stock purchases and sales by algos, selling 'flow' for profit....

There are an abundance of scams going on, some are more egregious than others in their risk-to-market CONfidence and overlying end-costs to consumers.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 12 November 2022, 04:30 AM   #94
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
I don't think crypto is a scam per se, and I definitely don't think most of them are based on a Ponzy scheme. This kind of hysteria reminds me more of the famous Dutch tulip bulb market bubble, the tulip mania. IMO it was almost the same thing. There was something that had real value, but not nearly as much as its price had skyrocketed due to speculators. The rest of the story is well known. However, there are still tulip bulbs today on the market, but no one thinks that an ownership of one piece is enough to make him extremely rich.
Old 12 November 2022, 04:57 AM   #95
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I'm not about to invest large amounts of money in crypto, but I highly doubt this is the end...it's just still rapidly evolving and it will probably continue to change at a pretty fast rate.

There have been a lot of times where the media has more or less said the end was near and so far that hasn't happened.
Old 13 November 2022, 05:58 AM   #96
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Crypto aka Bitcoin is not money in any way shape or form.

1) It has no intrinsic value in that it is not redeemable for another commodity, such as gold or cash.

2) It has no physical form and it exists only in the network.

3) Its supply is not determined by any central bank and its form is not recognized at all.

If you believe it is money good for you!

It's a math equation that's it

People try to tell others that it has a value but it does not because it is not real as the world sees reality ...
Old 13 November 2022, 06:03 AM   #97
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

FTX debacle could very well be the final straw in the end of crypto at least until regulations are in place.
Old 13 November 2022, 06:30 AM   #98
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

FTX Held Just $900 Million In Liquid Assets Vs $9 Billion In Liabilities

And-Its-Gone. (1).jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 13 November 2022, 06:33 AM   #99
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Given the most recent happenings and the article below, btc is holding better than I’d have imagined possible.

Granted, it’s still down and not looking good. But I would have expected a complete collapse at this point.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hundr...133219541.html

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 13 November 2022, 06:43 AM   #100
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Given the most recent happenings and the article below, btc is holding better than I’d have imagined possible.

Granted, it’s still down and not looking good. But I would have expected a complete collapse at this point.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hundr...133219541.html
very little sellers left for btc, most of them capitulated and blew up in may/june and this event doesn't really have a direct impact on it. i don't really consider btc as crypto anymore though because of the fundamentals behind it anyway. with that said, i don't know if the rest actually recovers from this for a really long time though (if it even does). the biggest problem now is if it stays below 20 for too long and starts blowing up miners but i believe the biggest miner already capitulated over the summer

the saddest part is btc would probably be pushing 30k if this never happened given how stocks performed this week
Old 13 November 2022, 08:26 AM   #101
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Reading that folks like O’Leary, Curry, Cuban and Brady are taking big losses as they had large investments in crypto.

I can’t wrap my head around that. These guys have real money. I mean, multi generational wealth to the point where they (and future generations) almost can’t run out, unless they do something either stupid or risky.

Why invest in something, so largely, if it’s even remotely risky. Even the safest of investments, the most conservative investments, will provide returns that are massive for most of society. Massive!!

To me, it’s similar to that old adage, bulls and bears make money. Pigs get slaughtered.

I just can’t wrap my head around it. How much do they need that they are taking such big risks to get big returns? Returns they do not, and never will, need.

Old 13 November 2022, 08:39 AM   #102
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
The only people who believe in crypto are those who have invested in it.
Old 13 November 2022, 08:52 AM   #103
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
Well, fwiw, logically, that makes sense.

Old 13 November 2022, 08:54 AM   #104
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Reading that folks like O’Leary, Curry, Cuban and Brady are taking big losses as they had large investments in crypto.

I can’t wrap my head around that. These guys have real money. I mean, multi generational wealth to the point where they (and future generations) almost can’t run out, unless they do something either stupid or risky.

Why invest in something, so largely, if it’s even remotely risky. Even the safest of investments, the most conservative investments, will provide returns that are massive for most of society. Massive!!

To me, it’s similar to that old adage, bulls and bears make money. Pigs get slaughtered.

I just can’t wrap my head around it. How much do they need that they are taking such big risks to get big returns? Returns they do not, and never will, need.
Curry and Brady were just paid by ftx to be spokesmen. i've seen the headlines "set to lose big" but in reality no one knows how much they invested, if anything at all. maybe they invested a small amount in it for fun that they can afford to lose. Kevin and Cuban are totally different, these two are actually believers in crypto and want to see the industry grow and become something meaningful. again, they probably had a not so huge amount invested into ftx, if anything they got hurt more by having their own crypto sitting on there. i don't think these guys were full on risking half their net worths or something like that on crypto. you gotta realize both of them are also losing money on almost every deal they give on shark tank lol

this really just goes to show how big ftx was though, i mean they were donating to congress/politicians and getting close with the sec commissioner. they weren't just some random off shore exchange with an exit scam planned, they were legitimately building an empire, albeit it was on a house of cards of borrowed money. their name was everywhere. nba/mlb/nfl/f1/esports, all the biggest possible sponsorships
Old 13 November 2022, 08:55 AM   #105
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Well, fwiw, logically, that makes sense.
You can believe in something but not invest in it, however crypto does not fall in that line of thought.
Old 13 November 2022, 08:58 AM   #106
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You can believe in something but not invest in it, however crypto does not fall in that line of thought.
Good point. That makes sense.

Old 13 November 2022, 08:58 AM   #107
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I am a complete Dorklehead when it comes to financial matters (hence, my current financial state) but I was on Youtube this afternoon and an interesting video came up; it was an advertisement infomercial for getting into DIGITAL REAL ESTATE.

Digital real estate… I’m sorry, I just don’t get it.
Old 13 November 2022, 10:25 AM   #108
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Digital real estate… I’m sorry, I just don’t get it.
Reminds me of early Dot Com when some thought just having a 'good' URL meant instant $$$$$$.

pets_puppet.gi.jpg

Quote:
So it's like all modern (Yen, Dollar, Euro, etc) currencies... a CONfidence game. Well, except it takes energy to 'mine' crypto, yet only $1 in energy to add $1,000,000,000,000 to the USA debt.

On the other hand items of intrinsic value, such as 'money' (oil, gold, etc), are different. They have actual value that modern central bank currencies obviously do not.

Old 13 November 2022, 11:17 AM   #109
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
The amount of energy needed to “mine” crypto is astounding. One bitcoin transaction takes 1,449 kWh to complete, the equivalent of approximately 50 days of power for the average US household. All to basically solve a puzzle on a computer.
Old 13 November 2022, 11:24 AM   #110
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
https://twitter.com/stephen_geiger/s...ymlAfMFMLGA6iQ

This cracked me up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 November 2022, 11:25 AM   #111
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
The amount of energy needed to “mine” crypto is astounding. One bitcoin transaction takes 1,449 kWh to complete, the equivalent of approximately 50 days of power for the average US household. All to basically solve a puzzle on a computer.
X2. I am a conservative guy, and not a “greenie” in any sense of the word. But I was asked to invest in one of these operations. They wanted $800,000 of my money and it was all for electricity. Wasteful and wasn’t for me.
Old 13 November 2022, 11:31 AM   #112
Andad

Watch: A few.

Old 13 November 2022, 11:36 AM   #113
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I don’t exactly understand your point. You’ve been rude since I joined in 2015, and I’m not sure what you get out of this.
Old 13 November 2022, 12:01 PM   #114
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I don’t exactly understand your point. You’ve been rude since I joined in 2015, and I’m not sure what you get out of this.
Pretty sure he was referencing the post above yours
Old 13 November 2022, 12:06 PM   #115
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
Hope so, but I’ve seen enough to not be sure
Old 13 November 2022, 12:07 PM   #116
Andad

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
Correct.

He seems to have issues?

Old 13 November 2022, 12:07 PM   #117
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
FTX Held Just $900 Million In Liquid Assets Vs $9 Billion In Liabilities

Attachment 1330887

The place he put the other $8.1 billion wasn’t right - but that is the right liquid reserve, 10%.

Your real dollar-based banks do the same.

The Federal Reserve requires banks and other depository institutions to hold a minimum level of reserves against their deposits. Currently, the marginal reserve requirement is 10% of a bank's demand and checking deposits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 13 November 2022, 12:08 PM   #118
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Correct.

Wayne seems to have issues?
don’t understand where you’re coming from. You’re nasty, condescending and rude. The admins here tolerate you for whatever reason, but I’m embarrassed to be associated with you.
Old 13 November 2022, 12:09 PM   #119
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
this is extremely misleading and how the media gets people. a "single" bitcoin transaction can include hundreds of payments. the electricity is spent validating a block which rewards bitcoins to the miner. the block itself doesn't contain one transaction

Quote:
“The popular ‘energy cost per transaction’ metric is regularly featured in the media and other academic studies despite having multiple issues.

“First, transaction throughput (i.e. the number of transactions that the system can process) is independent of the network’s electricity consumption. Adding more mining equipment and thus increasing electricity consumption will have no impact on the number of processed transactions.

“Second, a single Bitcoin transaction can contain hidden semantics that may not be immediately visible nor intelligible to observers. For instance, one transaction can include hundreds of payments to individual addresses, settle second-layer network payments (e.g. opening and closing channels in the Lightning network), or potentially represent billions of timestamped data points using open protocols such as OpenTimestamps.”

–Cambridge Centre For Alternative Finance, Cambridge University
the carbon footprint argument has been debunked many times but people just pretend like the facts don't exist. it'll be a lot more efficient once the chase for profits pushes more initiatives and technology for reusable energy (which already started), assuming btc lasts

more info : https://bitcoinmagazine.com/business...-is-misleading

Quote:
“What would be Bitcoin’s environmental footprint assuming the absolute worst case? For this experiment, let’s use the annualised power consumption estimate from CBECI as of July 13th, 2021, which corresponds to roughly 70 TWh. Let’s also assume that all this energy comes exclusively from coal (the most-polluting fossil fuel) and is generated in one of the world’s least efficient coal-fired power plants (the now-decommissioned Hazelwood Power Station in Victoria, Australia). In this worst-case scenario, the Bitcoin network would be responsible for about 111 Mt (million metric tons) of carbon dioxide emission, accounting for roughly 0.35% of the world's total yearly emissions.”

–Cambridge Centre For Alternative Finance, Cambridge University
Old 13 November 2022, 12:14 PM   #120
Andad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
don’t understand where you’re coming from. You’re nasty, condescending and rude. The admins here tolerate you for whatever reason, but I’m embarrassed to be associated with you.
You’re welcome.

Closed Thread