Watch: It's complicated
So sorry :(
Pets passing is often worse/harder for me than people
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 09:16 AM   #32
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Sorry to hear, Alex. It f'ing sucks, no better way to put it. You did you best by her, find comfort in that.

All the love given and received during their life slams equally with grief on the way out. The price we pay for their love. I hope you find comfort during this time. It will get better.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 09:24 AM   #33
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Very sorry as well. They are family and nothing worse than having to say goodbye to our four legged kids!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 09:45 AM   #34
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Dogs are part of the family. Sorry to hear about the loss sir.
JoeJoeBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 09:55 AM   #35
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Sorry for your loss, Alex.

Jesse, also sorry to read about your loss.

So sad to lose a pet you love.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 10:29 AM   #36
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Hard times but remember that is the highest form of love you can show your pets! They have been as blessed to have each of you as owners as you have been to have them as buddies.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 10:39 AM   #37
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Man…been there it’s the absolute worst. It’s actually curtailed me from getting another dog because I don’t want to do it again.

Sorry to hear. You’re doing the responsible thing.
Old 29 November 2022, 11:38 AM   #38
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I go through this almost daily, you'd think I'd be numb to it. It still gets to me though. Do your best to be strong for her, as you don't want her to depart seeing you suffer. Dogs are like that, they aim to please us, and hate to disappoint us. She'll be fine, take care of yourself.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 11:46 AM   #39
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I can’t imagine Alex … your post made me tear up. These beautiful creatures are every bit as much a part of the family. Always happy to see you, gentle souls.

I know I couldn’t do what you’re going to have to do. Be strong.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 11:47 AM   #40
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
I’m so sorry man. Just last night I had to put down my sweet girl Ruby. Only 8 years old but a nasty, aggressive mass cell cancer. I’m heartbroken and think that dogs really are man’s best friend. Wishing you comfort and peace to your sweet friend.
That’s awful Jesse, so sorry to hear this as well. You guys are both in my thoughts.
Old 29 November 2022, 01:58 PM   #41
77T
2024 Pledge Member

A faithful friend for her 84 years - more than that, a loving being who idolized you and your family.

Who eagerly awaited your daily return home.

Who shared every significant moment of the past 12 human years in the fabric of your lives.

Who watched for any threat.

Who stood sentinel in the night ready to alert her family of any suspicious unknown presence.

Who, with her sense of smell 10,000 times better that yours, would stand by and worry about invisible threats.

Who will be missed forever by her family - I know that well.

We who have endured this moment have great empathy for your painful days ahead.

I can never look at a black lab puppy without that old familiar pain of 20 years beyond the emptiness of losing our sweet girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 02:07 PM   #42
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I’m sorry to hear about Betty. Losing a dog is like losing a sibling and is a painful experience. Thankfully, all dogs go to heaven.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 02:28 PM   #43
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
It is the hardest thing that my family and myself have had to do . We have had many dogs in my wife and my 33 years together . I know going in , odds are We will outlive are new family member . The solace I derive is at the end of our pets life is that we did the best to make their life enjoyable , safe , fun and full of love . It is sad , there is no way around that . Just be happy that you had this amazing loving caring pet in your life . You did the best for your friend - family member .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 02:37 PM   #44
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Very very sorry to hear this I have been there twice and tears me up when I see this, such beautiful souls, you shall meet again at the Rainbow Bridge.

Not my words but another TRFer which I found to be of great assistance to me,

When we take on pets as our family members, we also take on a huge responsibility. That responsibility is to do for them what is best for them, even if it is not best for us.

If it becomes apparent that what is best for them is to part with the pain and/or suffering in this world, thats our responsibility. Although it undoubtedly brings pain and suffering to us, that's our responsibility.
Know that there is nothing more loving that one that takes suffering off the shoulders of another and carries the burden themselves. That responsibility is love and it's heavy sometimes. Find solace in that, today, your dog feels no suffering and no pain.

Hopefully that thought will ease your pain.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 02:47 PM   #45
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I hate to hear it Alex. As many others on TRF, I too have been down this road. It is terrible, no other way to say it. They become a piece of your heart, just breaks to let them go. I won't be able to not think of your day tomorrow, best wishes and stay strong.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 09:20 PM   #46
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Oh dear...this is a moment I am not looking forward to. Our guy is almost three years old and my wife and I never had a dog growing up. What an amazing addition he is, the kids are crazy for him, and my wife and I are always mesmerized as to how attached we are to him. At times, I think of the "what if" when it happens and I shiver knowing it will be really hard for us all one day. You, Alex and Jesse, are dealing with this now and my sincere condolences to you both. Hang in there.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 10:19 PM   #47
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry to hear.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 10:43 PM   #48
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Memory nourishes the heart, and grief abates.
(Marcel Proust)

God Bless, Alex.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 11:49 PM   #49
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Alex and Jesse,

Both of you and your beautiful 4 legged family members are on my mind this morning.

I wish you all peace during this difficult time. You’re all in my prayers.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 12:47 AM   #50
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
My deepest sympathies to you and you family. It’s always an extremely difficult time when we lose such valued members of our family that bring us so much love, joy and companionship that is always unconditional and judgement free. Based on the passion in your post there is no doubt you provided her a wonderful life for 12 years and are now providing her with a dignified end. Hopefully, in time, the pain of loss will fade but the memories will remain.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 01:31 AM   #51
DD58
"TRF" Member

From my pup and me were so sorry to hear about Betty. Never forget she loves you more than anything in this world. Dog always find that one person and you become there world. It never will be easy but you have given her the best life. And I firmly believe that all dogs go to heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 04:44 AM   #52
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
That’s awful Jesse, so sorry to hear this as well. You guys are both in my thoughts.
ty sir. i'm hoping she is resting easy and knows she did her job here.
Old 30 November 2022, 04:45 AM   #53
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Alex and Jesse,

Both of you and your beautiful 4 legged family members are on my mind this morning.

I wish you all peace during this difficult time. You’re all in my prayers.

thank you.
Old 30 November 2022, 05:51 AM   #54
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
Life changes…

My dear TRF friends…

Her official Kennel Club name was Ilchester Moonlight. Ilchester is a street, and she was born under the moonlight. That’s the explanation the breeder gave us when we picked her up at 8 weeks old. We named her Betty. We used to call her Betty Boop, then nicknamed her Boo. Or Boo-boo sometimes.

I do not know any of you personally, but you have no idea how much comfort you have brought me today, one of the hardest days of my life. I write this with tears in my eyes, hole in my stomach, and sadness like I have only experienced when my parents passed away.

The day started early, we had an appointment at 8.45am at the vet. Betty was up early, but coughing, panting, and clearly uncomfortable. She was also off her food, very unusual for her with her Lab genetics.

We guided her to our car for “walkies”, knowing full well that was a one way road. She climbed up, aided, her special steps that I had bought 2 years ago to help her get to the carboot. There she sat, and we drove off. As we parked, a dog walked by, and she mustered the strength to bark at the dog, but it came out as a weak grunt. That gave me a chuckle, thinking “no cancer is beating my girl’s spirit!”. I loved it.

Arriving at the vet, I asked if the procedure could be performed in my car, in “her” boot, which was a like a second home to her given she was always travelling somewhere with us.

Our vet was really wonderful. He owns the surgery and he suggested I parked the car in their car park, he then proceeded to lock the gates to give us privacy, and whilst I held my baby girl’s face, the anaesthetics went into her vein, and her little soul was released. It was all so fast, and he confirmed her passing, and my world fell apart.

I am crying as I write this - and this crying has not stopped today, from morning until now. The way she was lying down and me holding her little face was the way we arrived at the crematorium, an hour later.

She got such dignified treatment at the crematorium… I laid her on a little stretcher, she was prepared and we got invited to the room where they placed her; a little room, for two people plus one person from the crematorium. They explained the process, only one dog in each chamber at any given time, I could see the initiation of the process (which I didn’t). They had covered Betty’s little body with a pet-print blanket, and her little face was showing. We were then given time and privacy to kiss her good-bye. We told her we loved her very much, she was always a wonderful girl, and that we would never forget her. We were then on our way.

3 hours later we returned to pick her up. We drove back home (and arrived at our empty house) and decided to have a glass of wine each in her honour. I am not a massive alcohol person, but my partner wanted some wine and I obliged….

My partner and I have been crying the whole day, and I know this is not likely to get any easier any time soon. This is just so very sad, not to ser her little face anymore.

Anyway, sorry for the long and very sad post. Writing helps ease the pain a little bit, I hope you forgive the melodramatic tone - not usually me, but today, hell, why not. I know it’s a process, and I need to go through it, but yesterday I had a dog and today I don’t. My best friend, my little daughter, my dog, my joy is gone. Part of me has left too.

I love you Boo. See you on the other side.

Below, a few pictures of Betty in happier times.

Thank you again my dear friends. You have all been amazing today. X

alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 06:01 AM   #55
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

From our pup to yours ... we are thinking of you Alex and family.

Rest East Betty.

IMG-20221007-WA0005.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 30 November 2022, 06:14 AM   #56
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

damn
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 07:04 AM   #57
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I feel like I have fair-welled another to the Rainbow Garden, it's such a tough time, ironically my daughter found my old ipad yesterday with old photos here is my girl who moved on in 2016.

Thoughts are sincerely with you.

Mili.jpg
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 08:17 AM   #58
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.cicollo View Post
My dear TRF friends…

Her official Kennel Club name was Ilchester Moonlight. Ilchester is a street, and she was born under the moonlight. That’s the explanation the breeder gave us when we picked her up at 8 weeks old. We named her Betty. We used to call her Betty Boop, then nicknamed her Boo. Or Boo-boo sometimes.

I do not know any of you personally, but you have no idea how much comfort you have brought me today, one of the hardest days of my life. I write this with tears in my eyes, hole in my stomach, and sadness like I have only experienced when my parents passed away.

The day started early, we had an appointment at 8.45am at the vet. Betty was up early, but coughing, panting, and clearly uncomfortable. She was also off her food, very unusual for her with her Lab genetics.

We guided her to our car for “walkies”, knowing full well that was a one way road. She climbed up, aided, her special steps that I had bought 2 years ago to help her get to the carboot. There she sat, and we drove off. As we parked, a dog walked by, and she mustered the strength to bark at the dog, but it came out as a weak grunt. That gave me a chuckle, thinking “no cancer is beating my girl’s spirit!”. I loved it.

Arriving at the vet, I asked if the procedure could be performed in my car, in “her” boot, which was a like a second home to her given she was always travelling somewhere with us.

Our vet was really wonderful. He owns the surgery and he suggested I parked the car in their car park, he then proceeded to lock the gates to give us privacy, and whilst I held my baby girl’s face, the anaesthetics went into her vein, and her little soul was released. It was all so fast, and he confirmed her passing, and my world fell apart.

I am crying as I write this - and this crying has not stopped today, from morning until now. The way she was lying down and me holding her little face was the way we arrived at the crematorium, an hour later.

She got such dignified treatment at the crematorium… I laid her on a little stretcher, she was prepared and we got invited to the room where they placed her; a little room, for two people plus one person from the crematorium. They explained the process, only one dog in each chamber at any given time, I could see the initiation of the process (which I didn’t). They had covered Betty’s little body with a pet-print blanket, and her little face was showing. We were then given time and privacy to kiss her good-bye. We told her we loved her very much, she was always a wonderful girl, and that we would never forget her. We were then on our way.

3 hours later we returned to pick her up. We drove back home (and arrived at our empty house) and decided to have a glass of wine each in her honour. I am not a massive alcohol person, but my partner wanted some wine and I obliged….

My partner and I have been crying the whole day, and I know this is not likely to get any easier any time soon. This is just so very sad, not to ser her little face anymore.

Anyway, sorry for the long and very sad post. Writing helps ease the pain a little bit, I hope you forgive the melodramatic tone - not usually me, but today, hell, why not. I know it’s a process, and I need to go through it, but yesterday I had a dog and today I don’t. My best friend, my little daughter, my dog, my joy is gone. Part of me has left too.

That was to say the least, a beautiful tribute to sweet Betty.

I don’t know you personally either. However, after reading about your day I want to give you the biggest hug. Wouldn’t matter that you’re crying because just reading the emotion in this post has me crying a combination of mournful and happy tears for your family and that sweet girl.

I’d say she had a pretty great life and lots of love. Rejoice and take comfort in that you and your family gave her that.

God bless you and your family Alex. Please continue to update this thread however mournful or sad you may think you sound. I will take a broad stroke here and say that most of us understand and are willing to share your sorrow and good memories. TRF has some really outstanding members that give incredible words of encouragement, understanding and strength. The few that I call friends are more than happy to help when needed.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 08:31 AM   #59
NAVY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.cicollo View Post
My dear TRF friends…

Beautifully written and a beautiful girl. Take care of yourself ...
NAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 09:35 AM   #60
emersm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Alex, my heart goes out to you.

Three years ago next month, we had to say goodbye to our Buster. It was the hardest and saddest day of my life.

My wife and I were thinking of you today and just poured a glass of wine to toast your beautiful Betty and my handsome Buster.

Cheers to Betty! (and Buster)

My best to you,
Merle
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote