The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 1 December 2022, 06:09 AM   #1
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

A car repair questions for car guys.....

I've been bitching about this on this forum a couple of times but on May 30 some idiot in a parking lot smacked into my wife's car. He apologized but later to his insurance company changed his mind. Anyways not important.

So we took the car to two repair places and one of the parts is backordered, the interior fender well. The car is a 2017 Lincoln MKX and apparently made in Canada, and soon to be discontinued as is the new version, the Nautilus.

So we've been on hold for 6 months waiting for the part which may never come. And rented a car for 5 months and just recently bought another car for her.

My question is will any repair places just order this part from an autowrecker that totalled the front end, with a prefectly good back end, and repair the car. Three places we tried said they won't use, used parts. But its an interior wheel well so what's the big deal. (Panel Assembly Body Side Inner - Ford (KA1Z-5827864-B)) I believe the Ford Edge uses the same body.

Any suggestions???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6120xxx.jpg (45.4 KB, 129 views)
Old 1 December 2022, 06:12 AM   #2
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Go to an independent mechanic. Explain your predicament and see if they can source a used part or see if you can purchase one online and provide it to them.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 06:47 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The Insurance Company would need to sign off on the use of non-authorized parts
Old 1 December 2022, 06:50 AM   #4
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The Insurance Company would need to sign off on the use of non-authorized parts
Thanks. Yeah, I was wondering that.

Since the repair places seem so against doing it.

I told the body shop we'd sign a waiver or whatever, but still no.
Old 1 December 2022, 06:51 AM   #5
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
https://www.oemfordpart.com/oem-part...r-ka1z5827864b

I found an OEM Ford part for $107.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 07:01 AM   #6
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Salvage yards generally sell quarter panels only as an assembly so you would likely have to order the entire assy just to get the inner panel and it is obviously welded to multiple parts and will be damaged during the disassembly of the part. It's doable but most shops will decline this type of repair.

Many modern vehicles have hem flanges on the quarter panel and while it is possible to use LKQ/used panels for replacement it is not an accepted industry practice due to the damage incurred in the removal process and consequent workmanship issues as a result.
Old 1 December 2022, 07:59 AM   #7
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
If it’s as tough as you’re saying the ins might even write it off and pay you out. It’s worth more as parts now and repairers want them for resale. And if you know the part is hard to get so will others over time. So the car’s value will drop. It’s already 6 model years old too.

Id push my insurance to give me a check before used prices come down.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 08:25 AM   #8
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
https://www.oemfordpart.com/oem-part...r-ka1z5827864b

I found an OEM Ford part for $107.
Yeah thanks. I tried that too but when you call them, they all say back ordered with no delivery date.
Old 1 December 2022, 08:26 AM   #9
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Hire a lawyer. It's been 6 months which is unacceptable. They should pay out the value of the vehicle if they are unable to fix it.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 08:28 AM   #10
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
If it’s as tough as you’re saying the ins might even write it off and pay you out. It’s worth more as parts now and repairers want them for resale. And if you know the part is hard to get so will others over time. So the car’s value will drop. It’s already 6 model years old too.

Id push my insurance to give me a check before used prices come down.
The problem is that the blue book or whatever they use says that it’s worth a lot these days, and the write off needs to be a pretty high repair vs value.

I tried that too.
Old 1 December 2022, 08:32 AM   #11
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHorton View Post
Hire a lawyer. It's been 6 months which is unacceptable. They should pay out the value of the vehicle if they are unable to fix it.
Thanks, perhaps something to consider.

I have a different insurance company than my wife’s (long story), and he gave me some info on how this insurance stuff works, and I’d asked him about write off and he explained why they wouldn’t do that.

But perhaps there is a law that makes them do something, rather than just waiting forever.
Old 1 December 2022, 08:35 AM   #12
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
Salvage yards generally sell quarter panels only as an assembly so you would likely have to order the entire assy just to get the inner panel and it is obviously welded to multiple parts and will be damaged during the disassembly of the part. It's doable but most shops will decline this type of repair.

Many modern vehicles have hem flanges on the quarter panel and while it is possible to use LKQ/used panels for replacement it is not an accepted industry practice due to the damage incurred in the removal process and consequent workmanship issues as a result.
I’m sure that’s a thing. Just not bolt on parts.

And body shops just don’t want to get into mods and remaking parts. At least places that deal with insurance companies, that aren’t chop shops.
Old 1 December 2022, 09:12 AM   #13
Mifune
Banned

Totaled...
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 09:12 AM   #14
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
I'm a little surprised that this panel needs to be replaced based on the photo provided. If this is the only part that is holding up the repair I would have one of your preferred shops make sure they absolutely need to replace this part. Get them to remove the wheel and remove the interior trim if they need access to better determine the damage. During the repairs the outer qtr panel will be removed and I assume the outer wheelhouse panel as well so they should have good access to the inner panel for repairs. Unless the inner is completely crushed, which I doubt from this photo, a good tech may be able to repair the inner within specs and industry standards.

If this part is high-strength steel or especially if it is ultra high-strength then it gets more complicated but depending on the damage and manufacturer specifications it may allow some minor repairs. May be worth having the shop take another look.
Old 1 December 2022, 12:00 PM   #15
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
The problem is that the blue book or whatever they use says that it’s worth a lot these days, and the write off needs to be a pretty high repair vs value.

I tried that too.
A Rolex man never gives up! Spend $50k on jewelry get on the list then ask if it arrived.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 12:34 PM   #16
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

A car repair questions for car guys.....

Pull•A•Part may be your friend if you’re willing to go with an indy tech. Take the repair estimate check + the diminished value check.

It’s a calculated risk - use the new outer fender and the used inner liner. Lots of mobile repair guys can get you to rough and ready. Then have the local body shop do the prep and paint the corner to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote