The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 December 2022, 10:13 AM   #1
Carguy87
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Stuck at Harry Reid International

So my “quick hop” from Northern NV down to Orange County for a short getaway with the wifey isn’t off to the best start. We were supposed to have a stop in Vegas with no plane change and then continue on. On take-off the plane seemed to vibrate a lot more than normal, but we flew and landed without incident. When we got loaded up and ready to take off again they said there was a “maintenance issue” with our aircraft that could take 30 mins to fix. After sitting on the tarmac for 40 mins they announced our aircraft wouldn’t be air worthy today and we had to de-plane and go to a gate on the other side of the airport. Currently sitting at said gate waiting for them to get us another airplane….on the one hand grateful we’re safe and all, but this is putting a serious damper on the day!

Now that I’ve whined about it to our TRF family I feel better lol.
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 10:51 AM   #2
Carguy87
2024 Pledge Member

…and now we’re all on the new aircraft sitting on the tarmac for about 25 mins and they have the cover off the right jet engine while having not made any announcements. Thanks Southwest!
Old 7 December 2022, 12:18 PM   #3
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Yuck. Sorry
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 01:25 PM   #4
Mifune
Banned

Do some gaming... I always hear about someone hitting at the Airport.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 01:42 PM   #5
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
I think I'd rent a car and drive back home.

Sometimes things are just not meant to be.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 02:47 PM   #6
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
A friend of mine had what was supposed to be a 3-4 hr flight last Monday with one exchange. He spent a full 24 hrs travelling! Worse yet, he started feeling bad about 15 hours in and tested positive for Covid when he made it home. Personally, me and my wife are staying away from travel for now. I'm with Grady, I would have rented a car and ended that mess. Good luck with the rest of the trip!
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 03:01 PM   #7
Star Ferry
Banned

I feel for you, OP. Idea of getting on a commercial flight gives me nightmares these days. The caliber of people who somehow got approved for enough credit to buy a ticket has never been lower.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 03:38 PM   #8
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
With all these planes that have been sitting around on off for a couple of years, I'm walking.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 04:39 PM   #9
Carguy87
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I think I'd rent a car and drive back home.

Sometimes things are just not meant to be.
…so funny story. The second plane we were on sat on the tarmac for 80 mins with the engine cover open while they “finished inspections”. After an hour and 20 mins sitting in our seats we got were notified that this second aircraft was also not airworthy and we were being re-booked a third time. My wife has terrible flight anxiety as it is and burst into tears, so after deplaning a second time I asked the gate agent to get us our checked bags because I was going to rent a car and drive from Vegas to Anaheim rather than deal with any more nonsense. I was told that wasn’t possible and the best they could do is have me call the 800 number and ask to have my bags shipped to the hotel “at some point”. Faced with no real alternative since the majority of our clothes and travel stuff were in the checked luggage, we waited two more hours and finally boarded a third flight that got here in Anaheim about 10:00pm.

Grateful to be here safely but not thrilled with the experience to say the least.
Old 7 December 2022, 04:41 PM   #10
Carguy87
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
A friend of mine had what was supposed to be a 3-4 hr flight last Monday with one exchange. He spent a full 24 hrs travelling! Worse yet, he started feeling bad about 15 hours in and tested positive for Covid when he made it home. Personally, me and my wife are staying away from travel for now. I'm with Grady, I would have rented a car and ended that mess. Good luck with the rest of the trip!
Dang Wade I’m very sorry for your friend; sounds like his day was worse than mine! Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!
Old 7 December 2022, 08:54 PM   #11
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Never fun having to wait on a plane.
Even worse when you have to wait twice.
Still, given the potential alternatives, safe and sound isn't so bad.
Old 7 December 2022, 09:06 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sorry to hear Steve. Flight interruptions are never a good thing.

I don’t like flying either, but it’s the best way to get to Europe
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 02:05 AM   #13
Carguy87
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Sorry to hear Steve. Flight interruptions are never a good thing.

I don’t like flying either, but it’s the best way to get to Europe
Otherwise it’s quite the swim lol!
Old 8 December 2022, 02:14 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
Otherwise it’s quite the swim lol!
if I could swim if seriously entertain the idea.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 07:48 AM   #15
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:
…so funny story. The second plane we were on sat on the tarmac for 80 mins with the engine cover open while they “finished inspections”. After an hour and 20 mins sitting in our seats we got were notified that this second aircraft was also not airworthy and we were being re-booked a third time. My wife has terrible flight anxiety as it is and burst into tears, so after deplaning a second time I asked the gate agent to get us our checked bags because I was going to rent a car and drive from Vegas to Anaheim rather than deal with any more nonsense. I was told that wasn’t possible and the best they could do is have me call the 800 number and ask to have my bags shipped to the hotel “at some point”. Faced with no real alternative since the majority of our clothes and travel stuff were in the checked luggage, we waited two more hours and finally boarded a third flight that got here in Anaheim about 10:00pm.

Grateful to be here safely but not thrilled with the experience to say the least.
I'm glad you made it and hope you have a great time in Anaheim.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 08:46 AM   #16
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
…a third flight that got here in Anaheim about 10:00pm.
Ah..I see the issue now anti-Anaheim-ians working cactus ramps.

Just kidding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 09:32 AM   #17
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I get really grumpy about flight delays especially with connections….but then I remember I’m trying to get somewhere in a magical, mechanical, coke can and the anger melts away. Take your time making sure I won’t die people. I’ll be at the bar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 12:17 PM   #18
Stan Cooper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Steve, I flew on Southwest from Oakland to Albuquerque for Thanksgiving with my sister and her family. The trip was uneventful, but the return flight had a stopover in San Diego, continuing on the same airplane to Oakland. After landing in San Diego, we were told that we'd have to deplane and go to a different gate for the remaining leg to Oakland on a different plane. Argghh! The flight landed at Oakand on time and without incident, but my checked baggage didn't show up on the baggage claim carousel. Argghh!

I went to the Southwest baggage claim desk with my claim check, and was told my baggage had been loaded on the wrong plane in Albuquerque and was in Burbank! Argghh!!!

It was delivered by courier the next afternoon with sincere apologies for any inconvenience. Next year, I'll just fly my little two seater. It'll take a bit longer, but my baggage won't get lost.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 12:54 PM   #19
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Last month returning back to Phoenix on Southwest we arrived at the gate and of course everyone stands up and gets ready to get off. After about 10 minutes the flight attendant announces they are having problems getting the door open. Soon I see a couple of maintenance guys enter the plane from the door on the opposite side. A good 20 minutes later people begin to get off. When I got off, the maintenance guys had the door in pieces working on it off to the side of the jetway. That was a first for me and I’m pretty sure the 30 some people still on the plane going to the next destination didn’t do so on that plane.
Old 8 December 2022, 04:52 PM   #20
Carguy87
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I'm glad you made it and hope you have a great time in Anaheim.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Thanks Grady! Had a fun day at the House of Mouse (I’ll post pics in the Rolexes at Disney thread later).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Ah..I see the issue now anti-Anaheim-ians working cactus ramps.

Just kidding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Lol thanks Paul; honestly maybe they saw my Vegas Golden Knights bag tags and being proper fans they were like “F&$@ this fair weather bandwagoner he ain’t going to Ducks territory”

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
I get really grumpy about flight delays especially with connections….but then I remember I’m trying to get somewhere in a magical, mechanical, coke can and the anger melts away. Take your time making sure I won’t die people. I’ll be at the bar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh I’m with your there Airchitect, I just wish they would have communicated the problems better, and perhaps checked the second aircraft before we all boarded it. Would have been a lot less upset had we be in the terminal instead of in our seats for that whole mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
Steve, I flew on Southwest from Oakland to Albuquerque for Thanksgiving with my sister and her family. The trip was uneventful, but the return flight had a stopover in San Diego, continuing on the same airplane to Oakland. After landing in San Diego, we were told that we'd have to deplane and go to a different gate for the remaining leg to Oakland on a different plane. Argghh! The flight landed at Oakand on time and without incident, but my checked baggage didn't show up on the baggage claim carousel. Argghh!

I went to the Southwest baggage claim desk with my claim check, and was told my baggage had been loaded on the wrong plane in Albuquerque and was in Burbank! Argghh!!!

It was delivered by courier the next afternoon with sincere apologies for any inconvenience. Next year, I'll just fly my little two seater. It'll take a bit longer, but my baggage won't get lost.

Dang Stan I’m sorry to hear that! So cool that flying yourself is an option for you. That’s gotta be really freeing. Thank you for your service btw flying for our country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrazor251 View Post
Last month returning back to Phoenix on Southwest we arrived at the gate and of course everyone stands up and gets ready to get off. After about 10 minutes the flight attendant announces they are having problems getting the door open. Soon I see a couple of maintenance guys enter the plane from the door on the opposite side. A good 20 minutes later people begin to get off. When I got off, the maintenance guys had the door in pieces working on it off to the side of the jetway. That was a first for me and I’m pretty sure the 30 some people still on the plane going to the next destination didn’t do so on that plane.
That would be disconcerting for sure! My biggest issue when the whole thing started was that we flew the plane from Reno to Vegas first, then in Vegas they said that same plane wasn’t airworthy to go to Anaheim. My question is what broke on the way from Reno to Vegas, or did the Reno ground crew flat out miss a problem and we got lucky it held together til we landed in Vegas? I’ll never know obviously, but that was what scared me the most about the whole thing.
Old 8 December 2022, 10:54 PM   #21
jedmonds
"TRF" Member

Kind of a coincidence. The wife and I were in Orange County the day before (Monday) waiting for our flight back home to Sacramento. The plane we were waiting on was grounded at the Northern NV airport for 4 hours. It was supposed to fly from NV > Vegas > Orange County > Sacramento. We ended up switching to another flight in fears that our original flight was going to get cancelled.
jedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 12:01 AM   #22
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
You gotta appreciate the fact that they do actually occasionally inspect the planes... a recent flight of mine was delayed because the cleaning crew had neglected to empty the trash in the forward lav, and so we had to wait for a guy to come get the bag of trash.

I've sworn that if I ever win the lottery, I will never fly commercial again. NetJets for me baby!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 02:29 AM   #23
Carguy87
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedmonds View Post
Kind of a coincidence. The wife and I were in Orange County the day before (Monday) waiting for our flight back home to Sacramento. The plane we were waiting on was grounded at the Northern NV airport for 4 hours. It was supposed to fly from NV > Vegas > Orange County > Sacramento. We ended up switching to another flight in fears that our original flight was going to get cancelled.
Yep that’s the same flight! Honestly probably the same plane the day before as well so clearly they didn’t get it sorted out Monday. Good call on switching!