The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 January 2023, 02:37 AM   #31
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I look back at the start of this thread and not one of those watches except the Tank, I own or have a desire to own.

I guess I can respect some of them but have no desire to own.

I think for the most part TRF is a Rolex (obviously) and popular mainstream watch model forum with very few independents and other brands represented all that much.

There's nothing wrong with that, but there are a lot of watch companies out there that are rarely seen here.

Even important watches from Rolex that nobody here has much interest in....

A case in point....The Rolex Prince..."The first Rolex Prince came to market in 1928 and was an instant success, so much so it really established Rolex as a serious force in the watch world."

It has an incredible history but I bet you could count on one hand the number of members that own one.

The same could be said for other models of the Cellini line.
Old 29 January 2023, 04:20 AM   #32
logo
"TRF" Member

I understand where you’re going with this, but since watch collecting is such a very personal thing, we have no idea what reasons someone might have for one watch or another. Maybe they are a diver, in which case owning a sub is a very respectable choice. Maybe they are an engineer and having a speedmaster makes sense. Maybe they inherited a Calatrava from a family member who passed away. Or maybe they just want to be under the radar and chose something less flashy/hyped. Or maybe they were gifted a watch.

My point is the reason behind the watch matters infinitely more than the watch itself, and we very rarely get a chance to hear those reasons. Anyone with money can buy a nice or unique watch (or collection), but very few have a story to tell other than “I liked it.” Liking it and having 200k to dispose on a Patek perpetual calendar is not impressive to me. The story is what I respect, not the watch - wish more incoming posts focused on that.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 04:24 AM   #33
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Some other important and respected brands to look at perhaps:

Corum..Golden Bridge and others
Ulysse Nardin...Freak, Sonata, Marine Torpilleur, various divers
Girard-Perregaux
Vacheron Constantin
De Bethune
Chopard
Breguet
JLC
Glashutte Original
Montblanc
FP Journe

etc etc
Old 29 January 2023, 04:34 AM   #34
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Watches I Respect

Seth, I’ve always worn a watch. Analog or digital most of my life. My buddies dad had the submariner I have now when I was 12. He was a good dude and a roll model for me when I had a very small pool for role models.

I always told myself I would get that watch to honor him and my success. It was a pipe dream. I realistically never thought it would happen.

I purchased a 16613lb 2.5 yrs ago and have worn it every day since (except for when it was in service).

My watch has been through everything I have during this time and some of it incredible.

My watch has worked with me in ditches helping my guys.

It was on my wrist as I was using my high water vehicle to rescue people from their homes after hurricane Ian and giving those that stayed cases of water and gasoline for their generators.

My watch is a part of me, it’s essentially a trusted friend that’s always by my side.

It may not be what you think is respectful in your opinion as being horological. But there is a whole lot of work, life, love and devotion that’s embodied in my sub.

Since we’re friends I’d respectfully say I don’t agree with designating any specific watch or brand as something I respect, instead I’d say I respect the watch that’s worn and enjoyed no matter the brand or model.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 05:14 AM   #35
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
FWIW, my position here tends to be more reflective on what the watch means to the wearer.

In terms of generalizations, however, almost any automatic watch of respectable quality, to me, is something I guess you could say I admire and respect in the sense that there is a reasonable chance that the wearer has an interest in watches and appreciates a quality timepiece. That spans from a $100 automatic Seiko diver to a $100,000 Patek.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 06:50 AM   #36
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Understand Brian, and horologically and objectively, your position has merit. But subjectively, except for popular, I respect the other attributes - robust, efficient, and yes, perhaps most of all, boring.

At work, I am the guy in a traditional cut charcoal suit, button down collar white shirt, with a rep tie. If I am feeling sporty, a blue shirt.

At play, plain Levis and plain t-shirt. Makes my day. So, the sub fits right in.

I like simple, sturdy and boring. It is in my DNA. So, I respect the Sub, particularly without a date.

However, I have misgivings about where the Rolex brand is going. The hype is anathema to a person who values boring. The popularity is a detraction in my book. And the AD games and barriers to entry are down right silly.
Completely agree and when I was in an office I wore every watch I owned, the GMT was an aid to my job. My Omega Aqua Terra is a better watch in every respect than my Submariner was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
And that’s my problem with Rolex today.

Imo, they took the best branding in the world, and went a bit too far. Too far for a business? Not likely. I’m sure the bean counters love it. But imo, it’s now tacky. I know they are amazing watches. And imho, the best all around watches. Bar none. But…

I don’t love that everyone wants a Rolex. Turns me off.

I have always been a very anti-social person and I have always tended to move away when something becomes popular or ubiquitous.

I am nearly done with the Rolex brand and frankly they are fine with that, they don't need me or many other customers for that matter.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 06:54 AM   #37
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I've never met a person wearing a Speedy that wasn't a watch enthusiast

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 06:56 AM   #38
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I've never met a person wearing a Speedy that wasn't a watch enthusiast

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 12:07 PM   #39
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
I'm with you with the IWC when I see one.

For me it's the 5 digit Sub all day. One that I see has been worn and enjoyed. That's what I respect .
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 12:49 PM   #40
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
When I lived in Florida, every douche with a bit of extra money wore a Sub, including this one.

All kidding aside, I love it. What can I say? I get what you’re saying, Seth. It’s boring and it’s not special in our hobby. If I’m being honest, nothing in my collection really is. Well, except my Bradley Mickey Mouse watch.

I love seeing a vintage red or double red Sub that has seen all the days on it’s owners wrist. Or, seeing someone put Rolex money towards a Blancpain or Glashutte instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 01:07 PM   #41
austinp
"TRF" Member

I wear a 14060m on a black rubberB most days. The Fifty Fathoms and Big Pilot are the ones I like to see in the wild. Those are watch people.

austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 01:41 PM   #42
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
I have let go of some Rolex and plan selling a couple more . I have a couple IWC’s I bought in the 90’s and have bought a couple more in the last year . The IWC annual calendar is the latest watch I am waiting on . I know everyone knocks IWC on many levels but I have been enjoying them immensely and I really don’t care what anyone else thinks . Wear what makes you happy .
Malum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 01:57 PM   #43
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Great thread, Seth.

As others have said, I’d add Grand Seiko to that list. GS and Omega are really the only watches that if I see someone wearing I’ll comment on it. Never met a Speedy owner that wasn’t super cool if I comment on their watch. Always enthusiasts.

I saw one GS on a wrist out in the wild and it ended up being a really convo about watches.

I never comment on Rolex anymore. It always ends poorly. Owners have no idea what they are wearing. The last straw for me went like this:
Me: nice Datejust
Them: oh, no it’s a Rolex
Old 29 January 2023, 02:28 PM   #44
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Sadly I rarely come across interesting watches on other people. Mostly Rolex. I did see a dad rocking a 15202or recently and he definitely had cool dad vibes haha
Old 31 January 2023, 07:54 AM   #45
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
A couple threads got me thinking.

And please don’t flame me. If you don’t like the thread, please move on. As most of you folks know, I do try and keep it positive as much as possible. It’s a daily struggle, but it’s a worthy fight imho.

So I’m going to go with what I respect rather than the opposite direction.

That out of the way, there are a few watches that I tend to very much respect. And therefore, right or wrong, my first impression of the wearer reflects that. Certainly, that is not a good barometer as I’ve learned from experience. But even so, my thoughts still stand.

Why? I’m not sure. Providence maybe. History of the watch and brand. Proof that the individual wearing it is not following the pack, but rather the beat of their own drum. Maybe even it’s simply my own bias based on what I like.

Even so, some of these I respect greatly, but have no desire to own or wear. Would love to hear feedback and learn the watches other folks respect and think are cool.

In no particular order:

Omega Speedmaster
Breitling Navitimer
Any Rolex GMT (less so on jubilee, sorry).
Cartier Santos or Tank
Pretty much anything from IWC
Tudor Black Bay
Hueur Monaco
Any perpetual calendar

I think that’s it. But I feel like I’m forgetting a few. I’m sure there are more.

And to be sure, there are tons of cool watches out there. These are just the ones that stand out to me personally.

I happen to think Bremont is a neat brand as a whole. But not enough so to put on the list.

And yes, if I see someone wearing one of these, and the situation feels right, I’ll start a conversation by giving a compliment. Or, if the wearer looks grumpy, I’ll move on.

Most of what you listed falls on my list as well. And doing you is the best way to be. I try to do it more and more each day.

airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 08:15 AM   #46
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

The herd mentally in watches is really a sign of the times. I am guilty as charged but hoping to gradually only add pieces that are interesting, unique and different TO ME. I won't lie, the ridiculous game with certain brands has turned me off completely from going after the popular models. So now if I see someone with a lange or FP journe or even something like a Cartier, panerai, VC or omega I am WAY more interested than the usual suspects from rolex/AP/PP.
Old 31 January 2023, 08:34 AM   #47
Star Ferry
Banned

I am wearing a rotation of IWC, Blancpain, Omega, and Glashutte Original. Probably there are people who look down on these brands vis-a-vis Rolex/Patek/AP/etc., but I genuinely don’t care to hear their thoughts.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 08:56 AM   #48
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:

... In no particular order:

Omega Speedmaster
Breitling Navitimer
Any Rolex GMT (less so on jubilee, sorry).
Cartier Santos or Tank
Pretty much anything from IWC
Tudor Black Bay
Hueur Monaco
Any perpetual calendar

I think that’s it. But I feel like I’m forgetting a few. I’m sure there are more.

And to be sure, there are tons of cool watches out there. These are just the ones that stand out to me personally...

I like and agree with your list. I think these others are pretty cool too:
Rolex Sea-dweller (4 or 5 digit)
Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. I just like them.
Rolex GMT Serti dial.
Rolex GMT Master II Green Dial 18kt gold.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 09:01 AM   #49
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I don’t know Seth, I’m not sure if I can make a list like that. I guess I respect any watch if the owner loves it. Passion is the most important thing about watches for me.

In the end, a watch is an inanimate object. It’s the owner I can respect (or not).
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 09:03 AM   #50
gpeg
Banned

The list is correct, I’d probably add some other watches like Seiko, CW.
gpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 11:44 PM   #51
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Love IWC.

One watch that I see out in the wild more than the forums, particularly on wealthy folks is Panerai. It is very interesting to compare and contrast what happens in the forum world versus the real world.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 05:05 AM   #52
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Five watches I love seeing on people's wrists:

Rolex Day-Date
Rolex Yachtmaster
Breitling Navitimer
Any Luminox on a strap
The vintage looking digital Casio's.

Have never been impressed by the styles of many of the higher end smaller brands, many of them seem goofy and disjointed in their styling. Also, the mechanical inner workings of a watch have no effect on me, but I can appreciate the work and craftsmanship that goes into them.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 05:09 AM   #53
ERIVO
Banned

Great list. I would add a thin eloquent time only dress watch in PM on a strap in a traditional size of 33 to 38mm.
ERIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 07:07 AM   #54
Sperry
"TRF" Member

A watch I truly respect doesn't have to follow the fad of the moment. Classic, functional design. Boring? No. Stylish with understated class.

The GS line from the mid-00's had a far broader case choice, IIRC. Miss those pre-Fukushima designs.
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 07:18 AM   #55
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Great list and fun thread.

I might suggest adding a Zenith with the iconic El Primero movement.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 01:03 PM   #56
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
I like your original list, Seth. I would add to it:
-IWC 3706 Fliegerchronograph. The baton hands and shape of mid-‘90s to mid-noughties IWC really appeal to me; if I saw someone wearing one, I’d respect their choice
-Omega Constellation ‘pie pan’. A lot of variation, and all the old ones look amazing when the dials aren’t badly corroded. I mean, patinated.

(Photos sourced from: Worn and Wound; Vintage Watches and Cars. No affiliation.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5439EA6F-EE47-4E45-B0EA-45BC9079D7CC.jpeg (104.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpeg 16F8477E-375A-4241-B30D-3ED3F0E79530.jpeg (106.5 KB, 80 views)
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 02:54 PM   #57
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Great thread.

An acquaintance of mine was wearing a GS and I asked him about it as I had not seen him wearing it previously. Turns out he’s a big watch guy, and so we had a great 15 minute conversation about watches in front of a couple of other people who all thought we were crazy. Good times!
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 06:13 AM   #58
Rico_Brasole
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
anyone wearing a Grand Seiko or other high-end Seiko. These folks tend to be (or at least were in the past) enthusiasts, or to have a connection to Asia, where Seiko has a bit more brand cachet.

I agree. I love wearing watches that reflect my low key “those who know, know” personality”

Rolex doesn’t fit that category anymore- if it ever did.

Rico_Brasole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 07:30 AM   #59
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
Great thread.

An acquaintance of mine was wearing a GS and I asked him about it as I had not seen him wearing it previously. Turns out he’s a big watch guy, and so we had a great 15 minute conversation about watches in front of a couple of other people who all thought we were crazy. Good times!

This hobby is so much more rewarding when we get to annoy the people around us.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 07:37 AM   #60
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Tell you what, I want to add in the 16520 Daytona. Black or white. Both very cool watches to me.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote