The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 April 2011, 10:11 PM   #31
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxas View Post
I think not all TRF members think that. I want a Daytona mainly because of that nonsense. :) Regarding the date feature, there are a lot of watches that have no date. I don't think it is a deal breaker for many people. Apparently, some people really need (want) a date I think because of their daily work. I don't need the date that much. Sometimes I want to know but the date is not that difficult to find.

The Submariner No Date has a nice feature that the Submariner Date doesn't have that is the perfectly balance dial. I bought the Submariner No Date partly because of this feature.
I admit, I bought into the whole Daytona thing initially, when I was new to the brand. I put myself on the list, and convinced myself I wanted one. When I actually saw one and handled one, I was pretty underwhelmed, even more so when I did some digging and found out a bit more about it. The only reason why the Daytona is so sought after is because some Italian fashionistas picked up on the original one in the 1980s - people forget that the original Daytona was horrendously unpopular on its initial production run, that's why they're so scarce. Hype breeds hype, people started believing it, and started paying over the odds for it - people cottoned on they could flip it for a quick profit. Grey dealers took advantage of it, and Rolex matched their prices. There is only one loser from the Daytona, and that it the person who actually wants one because it's a cool chronograph, the only way they can get hold of one is either by waiting for years to clear out all the people wanting to make a profit, or by paying through the nose to get one on the grey market.

The ironic thing is that the market is collapsing for it. There are, at my last check, 12 in stock between the three biggest UK online grey dealers, all at way over list. It's clear they're not selling, but that's 12 that could have gone to new owners straight from an AD. That could be 2, maybe 3 years worth of supply to some ADs. That's the thing that annoys me so much, people are more obsessed over how much money they can make off the watch than wearing it and enjoying it. The ironic thing is when Rolex updates the watch (and it is a question of when, not if - it's looking good for a 2013 update to coincide with its 50th anniversary), everyone will drop their 116520s, the values will plummet, and the whole charade will start over again.

Yet the Speedmaster Pro, which actually has some pedigree, doesn't sell in anywhere near the same numbers. It's utterly, utterly insane
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2011, 10:15 AM   #32
--Rolex--

I don't get all this talk about waiting list for the Daytona. My AD has about ten of them in ss, tt, and 18k just sitting there. My grey market guy can get me one in a week at 15% off MSRP.
--Rolex-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2011, 10:18 AM   #33
ewhite
"TRF" Member

sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by steubi1 View Post
If I had a wish for free for the 14060, it would be a soft upgrade with the following features:
  • Exactly the same case and size
  • New solid bracelet
  • Ceramic bezel
  • Maxi dial 2-liner
  • New superb clasp for the bracelet

I would certainly want one of those.....

But I am pretty sure this will not happen, some dreams never come true...

Regards
Tom
Agreed
ewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2011, 11:11 AM   #34
wrxsti
"TRF" Member

i love the 14060m and would rather own one than a daytona. Just not a fan of the daytona even after trying one on, it is a cool watch andif u like it, like it for the watch not for the fact that was the most sought after watch in the world.

There are 3 ads in vancouver that have ss white/black daytonas in the display cases!
Old 10 May 2011, 12:35 PM   #35
bluemartinifan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Bah humbug - I would rather Rolex discontinue this icon than supersize it and over price it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14060bluepool (Medium).JPG (105.0 KB, 108 views)
bluemartinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2011, 12:48 PM   #36
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemartinifan View Post
Bah humbug - I would rather Rolex discontinue this icon than supersize it and over price it...

Bah humbug, me too!

Old 10 May 2011, 01:08 PM   #37
Danand
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
The interesting thing to me is that the original sub is about as different from the 14060 as the 14060 is to the 116610(less the date feature of course). So why should Rolex kill off the sub rather than update it to a subc version? Yes the 14060 has been around a while, but it is NOT the original.
I think it would be sad if rolex stopped producing a no date sub, but if they ever did it would be because of lack of sales and be a business decision, and nothing else.
I'm still putting money on a future subc no date version.
Danand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2011, 01:24 PM   #38
ec51
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRolexi View Post
The Submariner is the iconic watch.

It's not called a "no-date Sub"...it's called the Submariner.

The one with the date has the funny name and it is called Submariner-Date.....
+1

ec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2011, 01:24 PM   #39
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danand View Post
The interesting thing to me is that the original sub is about as different from the 14060 as the 14060 is to the 116610(less the date feature of course). So why should Rolex kill off the sub rather than update it to a subc version? Yes the 14060 has been around a while, but it is NOT the original.
I think it would be sad if rolex stopped producing a no date sub, but if they ever did it would be because of lack of sales and be a business decision, and nothing else.
I'm still putting money on a future subc no date version.
I concur.............
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2011, 07:24 PM   #40
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewhite View Post
Agreed
I think they will make soft chsanges due to two reasons
-they can charge more $$$
-the range will look more homogeneus

on the other hand I predict very bright future for the current or more specifically the previous two liner version,it s really an iconic watch.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote