The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 May 2011, 10:33 PM   #1
mcneguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (2)/SUB/DJ
Need Advice...

So last month I purchased the 116610LV Sub-C. Last weekend I purchased an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 8500, 41.5mm. I am getting pretty used to larger watches and with my 51 year old eyes, they are definitely easier to read.

I have a GMT II Pepsi which I love, I know that they aren't made anymore and aren't likely to ever be made again but I am thinking of listing it for sale and purchasing the new version of the GMT with the ceramic bezel. Now, I don't know what the Pepsi's are going for these days but I can pick up the new GMT for about $5800 from my AD.

What would you do?
mcneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

you've got the modern maxi-style sub/gmt covered, so, personally, i would not trade a pepsi for a new gmtii-c.

historic good looks, red 24-hour hand, red/blue bezel, light, classic....

i guess i'm just not a fan of the new one's bigger lugs, PCLs, bezel font, green hand and text....
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2011, 11:50 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneguy View Post
So last month I purchased the 116610LV Sub-C. Last weekend I purchased an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 8500, 41.5mm. I am getting pretty used to larger watches and with my 51 year old eyes, they are definitely easier to read.

I have a GMT II Pepsi which I love, I know that they aren't made anymore and aren't likely to ever be made again but I am thinking of listing it for sale and purchasing the new version of the GMT with the ceramic bezel. Now, I don't know what the Pepsi's are going for these days but I can pick up the new GMT for about $5800 from my AD.

What would you do?
If I was you keep your present GMT watch in reality not a lot of difference between them except the price.And IMHO the ceramic insert is not the best thing since sliced bread, although the marketing will tell you different.IMHO the new clasp is a much better upgrade than any overpriced ceramic insert.But there is not a lot wrong with the old type insert or clasp its worked well for a few decades.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2011, 11:59 PM   #4
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
I would keep your current GMT. You have a great watch so keep it!
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 12:02 AM   #5
gqllc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Bezel SubC
Quote:

What would you do?
First off the new ceramic GMT at 5800 is a GREAT buy! Are you sure on that price? Secondly I never warmed up to the older GMT II. I can say the new GMT II Ceramic is a BEAUTIFUL watch and I think you will LOVE IT!!! I am 50 and the same predicament with the eyes...I LOVE MY GMT IIc...
Old 11 May 2011, 12:29 AM   #6
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
I`m big admirer of GMT IIc, it`s one of the watches on my "must have" list, but I wouldn`t do it!
I think that Pepsi is something special, that`s the watch with old style case (which I prefer), with red 24hr hand (I like the green one, too) and with absolute classic appearance in all departments.
And, you already have the most beautiful new Rolex IMHO, magnificent Hulk, so, why don`t have something little different?
Pepsi all the way IMHO, but at the end, it`s just your call!
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 12:36 AM   #7
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Keep the Pepsi!!! and get the IIc!
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 12:39 AM   #8
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cru jones View Post
you've got the modern maxi-style sub/gmt covered, so, personally, i would not trade a pepsi for a new gmtii-c.

Historic good looks, red 24-hour hand, red/blue bezel, light, classic....

I guess i'm just not a fan of the new one's bigger lugs, pcls, bezel font, green hand and text....
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 12:46 AM   #9
mcneguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (2)/SUB/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th DR View Post
Keep the Pepsi!!! and get the IIc!
And lose the wife?
mcneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 12:55 AM   #10
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
And lose the wife?
Oooooo, tough call!
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 01:01 AM   #11
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
I would keep your current GMT. You have a great watch so keep it!

yes!
Old 11 May 2011, 01:10 AM   #12
DrewWatson
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM 127
Although $5800 is a great price, you'd still have to offer up some of your own after selling the GMT you already have. In other words, it wouldn't be an even exchange.

That said, I think you have a great mix of pieces right now. You have examples of both something new and somthing that may have some memories attached to it. Just because it may have more miles on it doesn't make it a downgrade by comparison. Yes, the markers and hands in the newer models may be a little more inflated in size, but the Pepsi color scheme on the GMT is also a classic.

Personally, unless you find the newer models significantly easier to read, I'd keep and enjoy the diversity offered in what you currently have.
DrewWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 01:44 AM   #13
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I have both the GMT c and GMT Pepsi and would not get rid of one for the other... IMO they are both excellent watches so similar yet so very different. $5800 is an AMAZING price for a BNIB GMT c especially with the price increase yesterday. If you can buy for this price I would add the GMT c to your collection and if you decide you dont like you should not lose any $$$ on it if/when you decide to sell