The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 May 2010, 12:57 PM   #1
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
On a POSITIVE Note!

FINALLY,

Finally, I am breathing a sigh of relief that someone "really" gets it. Every few days, either an Audubon Society rep or a National WIildlife and Fisheries rep calls we with a ridiculous request to run an 8 hour trip with a bird or to go sit in a tiki hut at a dock for 8 hours.

I started telling them no...well, finally today, a wildlife rehab group about 2 hours from me called and said, somehow....BP, Audubon and NFWS put me on their list of volunteers....like I worked with them.

Well, the lady didn't recognize my name. So she called. I told her, that I was not affiliated with a group. And she took the time to find out that I have 10 years plus rehab experience, plus human medical skills. She also updated me and told me that after a whole month of confusing mess...

They have finally started transporting birds via boat, instead of by road from each of the bayous to Venice and the rehab center. This is significant, because by road, it is 4 hours from one long finger of land up and then back down another finger of land. I have been telling anyone with BP, Audubon and NWFS that they needed to transport by boat or helicopter.

The second good thing, once I told her my skills, she agreed that I could be of much greater use at the Tri-state bird facility at Fort Jackson / Venice. Working with Dr. Miller and her crew.

So finally, I am on the schedule to work 8 to 10 hours every Saturday for the next 5 weekends. Its a 2 1/2 hour drive to get there, but I can do that. I can go home at night and sleep in my own bed. I don't mind 14 hour days, if I am accomplishing something.

Tentatively, I will be washing, assisting with medical treatment and caring for oiled birds, starting Saturday. This is what I have been waiting for. It would be better, if it was closer, but I suspect with the sheer volume of animals that will be impacted, that BP, Audubon, NFWS will be forced to open a second center, closer to me in the months to come.

The local university is already ramping up to turn the University farm into a facility. So, if I start with the center in Venice, I might be able to move, or help with set up of another, closer site, if the volume of animals increases.

Not that anyone necessarily cares what I do with my Saturdays, but I was excited and after all the confusion and silliness that is going on here, it was refreshing to actually get asked to do something that I can do to make a difference.

I would still like to be involved with the Mammal and Turtle Unit, but all the turtles and dolphins are just turning up dead.....over 200 hundred dead turtles and 12 to 15 dead dolphins....and I complained to the turtle people about the bureacracy, so I don't think I made friends with them when I made comments about dead sea turtles floating in the marsh on CBS Evening News...Ohh well...

Just wanted to share something positive!
Old 26 May 2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
What a great feeling to know you can make a difference between life and death to so many birds (not to mention all the other animal rescue you do). You're a wonderful soul, Kaya, and thanks for the update.
Old 26 May 2010, 01:50 PM   #3
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Kaya I wish you all the strength in the world and am glad there are people like you that care for those poor animals. That is in all sincerity.

On another note, I just want you to see that I posted on your thread
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2010, 01:52 PM   #4
keschete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffi Abernathy View Post
What a great feeling to know you can make a difference between life and death to so many birds (not to mention all the other animal rescue you do). You're a wonderful soul, Kaya, and thanks for the update.
Thanks Faith, it has felt like a battle to get someone to let me help on a level that I am qualified for. When I volunteered for Katrina and Gustav, I was used in a capacity that made sense.

This whole thing with the oil spill is actually worse than if the government was running it. There are so many hoops to jump through.

With hurricane response, you just show up at a shelter and go to work. This whole response is all about mitigating litigation. Which is really sad!

I was starting to get disheartened, that I had skills to offer and I am willing to volunteer, but I want to be used in the highest capacity that I can function in. Hopefully, I have made it through the corporate mire and I will be able to really work.
Old 26 May 2010, 09:54 PM   #5
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Stay strong and keep up the good work Kaya. Somehow, some way, that well will get stopped.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2010, 10:13 PM   #6
Idle Swede
Suspended

Kaya,

You are a great human being and your contribution is admirable

Keep up the good work.
Idle Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2010, 10:15 PM   #7
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by idle swede View Post
kaya,

you are a great human being and your contribution is admirable

Keep up the good work.
x2
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2010, 04:40 AM   #8
keschete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Kaya I wish you all the strength in the world and am glad there are people like you that care for those poor animals. That is in all sincerity.

On another note, I just want you to see that I posted on your thread

I was just picking on you!
Old 27 May 2010, 06:11 AM   #9
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Bp ftmfl
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2010, 09:09 AM   #10
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
There seems to have been a lot of mismanagement and lack of coordination in many aspects of the response to this Kaya. I'm glad to see they are putting your skills to good use. We are all rooting for you and the animals involved.