The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 May 2011, 03:57 AM   #1
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Order of Acquisition- Your Logic

Hello All,

This is my first post on the forum as I have been a long time lurker…

I have a (somewhat) simple question.

I currently own one Rolex, the GMT IIC SS, and have loved every second of owning this beautiful timepiece. I just want to hear some suggestions as to which one to go for next (see my list of potential contenders below). As a side note, I will one day own ALL of the watches listed below, THIS IS MORE OF A QUESTION ON ORDER OF AQCUISITION, AND YOUR LOGIC BEHIND YOUR RESPONSE….So please try not to reply with the generic “all of them” or “whatever sings to you after you try them on”….I love them all and they all sing to me like there is no tomorrow..LOL!

CHOICES (In the order I expect to acquire them in):
1. Daytona SS White
2. GMT IIC TT
3. Sub C SS Black
4. Yachtmaster SS/Plt
5. *NEW Explorer II White (Once its available)

Thanks for the input guys!
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 04:01 AM   #2
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Well the SS Daytona is probably going to be revamped with a ceramic bezel in a year or two so if you like ceramic bezels I would wait on the Daytona.

Of the five you have listed I would go with the new Explorer II once it becomes available. Awesome looking watch with the new clasp etc. If you don't want to wait my second choice would be the Yachtmaster SS/Plt. It is different and you see way less of them in the wild. Gorgeous watch in person.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 04:04 AM   #3
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the speedy reply mtrunner. I dont think I will be a fan of the ceramic on the daytona, and I would like to see an updated clasp on the YM...thats my logic for the YM being so low on the list..
Old 4 May 2011, 04:10 AM   #4
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

I would get the Daytona next, the white face gives you versatility with your black faced GMTc. The YM would do the same, but I, like you said, would love to see the upgraded clasp on it.
Manofsteelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 04:14 AM   #5
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

If you truly like the current Daytona I would definitely jump on it especially if you wouldn't like the ceramic on it. I do agree that the old clasp on the YM is a big deterrent. I think a lot of people want to see this updated.
Old 4 May 2011, 04:19 AM   #6
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt View Post
I would get the Daytona next, the white face gives you versatility with your black faced GMTc. The YM would do the same, but I, like you said, would love to see the upgraded clasp on it.
Thats my exact thinking...the versatility the white daytona would provide would be a nice contrast to my GMT II C....as a side note I am also having an internal strugle because i really want a model with brushed center links in my collection ASAP as well...FEEL MY PAIN...LOL
Old 4 May 2011, 04:20 AM   #7
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
If you truly like the current Daytona I would definitely jump on it especially if you wouldn't like the ceramic on it. I do agree that the old clasp on the YM is a big deterrent. I think a lot of people want to see this updated.
Thanks MT...I am almost 100% sold on the white daytona being next..
Old 4 May 2011, 04:23 AM   #8
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
First of all, welcome to the forums.

Considering you will be buying them all;

- I would leave the TT GMT until last as you already have the GMT.

- The Sub is very similar looking to the GMT so I would leave it until second last.

- The new Explorer II is not available yet - after exposure to this forum you will not be able to wait very long to buy your next (if you're like most of us), so I'd leave this to third last.

- This leaves the Daytona and YM. Considering your list is all sport watches, made even sportier with numbers on the bezels, you might want to have something slightly dressier. From your list, the YM can be dressed up the easiest (in my opinion as the numbers blend with the bezel), so I would go with it first.

I will resist the urge to tell you that these are all great watches and you should go with what feels right to you. Despite the fact that they all sing to you, one must sing a slightly sweeter song than the others. Regardless how slight, it is likely more than the difference in the logic I have offered.

Good luck.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 04:23 AM   #9
Abid
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Definitely the Daytona! Its a beautiful watch and the most different! Later on I would put it on a strap, I always think chrono's look better on a strap. And runner up would be the Explorer II
Abid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 04:24 AM   #10
KingJames
"TRF" Member

In the interest of FULL DISCLOSURE....deep down inside I really want the TT GMT II C next, but I feel like I need to hold off on it being that I already own the SS model...Thoughts?
Old 4 May 2011, 04:25 AM   #11
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
I'd go with
1. SS Daytona
2. SS Sub C
3. 42mm EXPIi
4. TT GMTIIC
5. SS/Pt YM (hopefully by that time there is a new clasp on it )
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 04:27 AM   #12
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
First of all, welcome to the forums.

Considering you will be buying them all;

- I would leave the TT GMT until last as you already have the GMT.

- The Sub is very similar looking to the GMT so I would leave it until second last.

- The new Explorer II is not available yet - after exposure to this forum you will not be able to wait very long to buy your next (if you're like most of us), so I'd leave this to third last.

- This leaves the Daytona and YM. Considering your list is all sport watches, made even sportier with numbers on the bezels, you might want to have something slightly dressier. From your list, the YM can be dressed up the easiest (in my opinion as the numbers blend with the bezel), so I would go with it first.

I will resist the urge to tell you that these are all great watches and you should go with what feels right to you. Despite the fact that they all sing to you, one must sing a slightly sweeter song than the others. Regardless how slight, it is likely more than the difference in the logic I have offered.

Good luck.
Thanks for the thoughts....INTERESTING logic, i like how you brought the sport watch look into the equation..being that i refuse to buy the YM with the current clasp I will probably end up with the daytona next...Thanks again
Old 4 May 2011, 04:31 AM   #13
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJames View Post
Thanks for the speedy reply mtrunner. I dont think I will be a fan of the ceramic on the daytona, and I would like to see an updated clasp on the YM...thats my logic for the YM being so low on the list..
I didn't realize your list was in order of priority; in fact I thought you were stressing they were all equal.

I ranked YM 1 and Daytona 2 for you, but considering you have them ranked 5 and 1, then go with the Daytona.
Old 4 May 2011, 04:34 AM   #14
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didn't realize your list was in order of priority; in fact I thought you were stressing they were all equal.

I ranked YM 1 and Daytona 2 for you, but consdiering you have them ranked 5 and 1, then go with the Daytona.
No problem cedar....the list is how I currently "think" I will end up acquiring them...that is correct, I would like the readers of the post to treat them all as equal and give thier insight as to which one they would purchase next (just as you did...and a very big thanks)
Old 4 May 2011, 04:37 AM   #15
Tombrone
"TRF" Member

I follow cedargrove on this one except I think the daytona is more of a dress watch so I would go for the daytona first
Tombrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 04:37 AM   #16
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Like you I absolutely hate PCLs but if you get the Daytona you can always get the bracelet brushed. Several members on here have done it and it looks fabulous. If I got a Daytona or GMTIIC that is exactly what I would do.
Old 4 May 2011, 04:42 AM   #17
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
Like you I absolutely hate PCLs but if you get the Daytona you can always get the bracelet brushed. Several members on here have done it and it looks fabulous. If I got a Daytona or GMTIIC that is exactly what I would do.
No you must have misunderstood I never mentioned that I "hate polished center links" (the GMT II i have has them and i really like them)...i just mentioned that i feel the need to add a BCL to my collection...I would never brush my polished center links...
Old 4 May 2011, 04:52 AM   #18
Rollie2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C + Exp 42
Why do people not like the clasp on the YM?

Just curious
Rollie2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 04:57 AM   #19
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie2011 View Post
Why do people not like the clasp on the YM?

Just curious
Its not that i dont like it (it will prob never fail me and it probably provides all the security I need from a clasp)...i just have a real issue spending hard earned money on something that is dated, not the latest, and when an update is long overdue (obviously this statement doesnt apply if im shopping for vintage) and maybe on the horizon...
Old 4 May 2011, 05:01 AM   #20
mike
"TRF" Member

I'll go against the grain and favor the Sub. Perhaps the most iconic of the professional models the Submariner has served as the cornerstone of many collections.

One can make the arguement it looks similiar to the GMT--and it does. However mulitple references implies multiple functionality. The two are very different functionally and complement each other nicely.

The EXP II, while a stunning reference, and one I will add is at this point very close to the GMT in purpose. Nothing wrong, but lay the foundation first.

The Daytona likewise is a mainstay in many collections, but foundation wise the GMT and the Sub fill so many rolls.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 05:07 AM   #21
Rollie2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C + Exp 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJames View Post
Its not that i dont like it (it will prob never fail me and it probably provides all the security I need from a clasp)...i just have a real issue spending hard earned money on something that is dated, not the latest, and when an update is long overdue (obviously this statement doesnt apply if im shopping for vintage) and maybe on the horizon...
I see what you mean.

I love the clasp on my Sub C.

It just feels so secure and well made. (not saying that older clasps aren't)

That said- i would not let that stop me from purchasing a BNIB YM
Rollie2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 05:19 AM   #22
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I'll go against the grain and favor the Sub. Perhaps the most iconic of the professional models the Submariner has served as the cornerstone of many collections.

One can make the arguement it looks similiar to the GMT--and it does. However mulitple references implies multiple functionality. The two are very different functionally and complement each other nicely.
I get that the Sub has a better depth rating, but assuming it's not being used for diving, the GMT has more functionality. The precision on the bezel is a minor benefit of the Sub over the GMT, but not against the chrono function of a Daytona.

The Sub is certainly iconic, but I'd never recommend this as a reason to buy one.

Don't get me wrong, all great watches. I'd love to own them all. Just discussing the subtle differences.
Old 4 May 2011, 06:07 AM   #23
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
I love the TT models the best,so why dont you get a SubC TT in black or blue next as you already have a SS GMT IIc. Then get the Daytona,Explorer,SubC,Yachtmaster in that order. Just my order if its any good.
RRGHOST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 06:21 AM   #24
JJL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red & 16622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt View Post
I agree. If you aren't crazy about the YM because of its clasp, I'd go white dial Daytona or EXP II. It's nice to have an array of different looking watches. The TT GMT and Sub C will be too similar to what you already have.
JJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 06:38 AM   #25
sparky
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Your plan sounds great to me
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 07:21 AM   #26
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I get that the Sub has a better depth rating, but assuming it's not being used for diving, the GMT has more functionality. The precision on the bezel is a minor benefit of the Sub over the GMT, but not against the chrono function of a Daytona.

The Sub is certainly iconic, but I'd never recommend this as a reason to buy one.

Don't get me wrong, all great watches. I'd love to own them all. Just discussing the subtle differences.
The gist of the OP's thread implied a collection based on functionality rather than a vertical collection of reference era.

As such all the watches mentioned save the TT GMT have a place. How one assembles that collection of course is open for discussion, but the Submariner and GMT both were born from different criteria not on looks or wearability.

Certainly the Daytona has proven to be many collector's grail, but as a diver there are better references and as a world traveler there are better offerings available.

Yeah, as a "one watch" collection I's always go with the versatility of the GMT, but I didn't read that into the OP's question.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 07:26 AM   #27
barstoolman
Banned

Definitely the Daytona........Sub is great but too similar looking from afar. Perhaps a DSSD and DDII Gold Pres.......now you'd have some sweet timepieces!!!!!!
barstoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 07:56 AM   #28
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
I really never planned that far ahead. However after the first one or second one I always wanted the Daytona, just so happens it became availibly and then I got it as soon as I could. Other than the Daytona it has always been one watch at a time, something a bit different from the first or what I already had.

It may sound corny, but its been more of an adventure of the heart and the soul for me, and not so much the head.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 10:26 AM   #29
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
Take your time. Enjoy!

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 09:55 PM   #30
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I really never planned that far ahead. However after the first one or second one I always wanted the Daytona, just so happens it became availibly and then I got it as soon as I could. Other than the Daytona it has always been one watch at a time, something a bit different from the first or what I already had.

It may sound corny, but its been more of an adventure of the heart and the soul for me, and not so much the head.
Thanks for the input...I know I know..i may be putting to much thought into something that should be more about "feelings"...but that just how I am, more than anything I just wanted to see how other fellow "like minded" rolex fans reasoned through these tough choices..

Again Thanks!