The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 May 2011, 09:58 PM   #31
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
I agree. If you aren't crazy about the YM because of its clasp, I'd go white dial Daytona or EXP II. It's nice to have an array of different looking watches. The TT GMT and Sub C will be too similar to what you already have.
Thanks...YES! Your making my Daytona decision that much easier...I have the same reasoning, different look>>Iconic cornerstone watch..
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 10:02 PM   #32
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I'll go against the grain and favor the Sub. Perhaps the most iconic of the professional models the Submariner has served as the cornerstone of many collections.

One can make the arguement it looks similiar to the GMT--and it does. However mulitple references implies multiple functionality. The two are very different functionally and complement each other nicely.

The EXP II, while a stunning reference, and one I will add is at this point very close to the GMT in purpose. Nothing wrong, but lay the foundation first.

The Daytona likewise is a mainstay in many collections, but foundation wise the GMT and the Sub fill so many rolls.
I like your reasoning...appeal to Ethos (somewhat) using the "authority" of the Sub as a cornerstone watch that is missing from my collection. The Sub will serve as a foundational purchase as you mentioned, as well as provide me with a different brushed center links look that I love.

Thanks for the input!
Old 4 May 2011, 10:06 PM   #33
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexplorer2 View Post
I love the TT models the best,so why dont you get a SubC TT in black or blue next as you already have a SS GMT IIc. Then get the Daytona,Explorer,SubC,Yachtmaster in that order. Just my order if its any good.
Yes, I contemplated this exact idea of considering the TT Subs, which could potentially satisfy my craveing for a TT watch as well as a Sub in my collection. What keeps me from considering the TT Subs is that I feel that the TT GMT II C is so much nicer, the gold on the engravings of the ceramic bezel, IMO.
Old 4 May 2011, 10:13 PM   #34
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie2011 View Post
I see what you mean.

I love the clasp on my Sub C.

It just feels so secure and well made. (not saying that older clasps aren't)

That said- i would not let that stop me from purchasing a BNIB YM
A BNIB YM (at the right price) is always an option...
Old 4 May 2011, 11:05 PM   #35
Chad C.

Watch: Explorer / GMT IIc
I think the Daytona would offer you the greatest versatility in your collection. It is a beautiful watch and that is definitely the one I would go with. After I get my GMT Master IIc, I will probably be eyeing a Daytona next.
Chad C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2011, 10:58 PM   #36
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the input guys....I had decided on the SS Daytona White Face, but my AD gave me a call that complicated things...

My AD is having a customer appreciation day where all TT and all gold models are being discounted 15%...that means the TT GMTIIc is looking pretty good right now

Pretty good considering the prices are set to go up on the 10th of this month...

What do you guys think?
Old 6 May 2011, 11:52 PM   #37
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJames View Post
Thanks for all the input guys....I had decided on the SS Daytona White Face, but my AD gave me a call that complicated things...

My AD is having a customer appreciation day where all TT and all gold models are being discounted 15%...that means the TT GMTIIc is looking pretty good right now

Pretty good considering the prices are set to go up on the 10th of this month...

What do you guys think?
I still think you should go with the Daytona. You already have a GMT IIc.

I personally don't see the TT GMT as being much different from the SS version because the SS is still somewhat flashy. But the Daytona is a completely different watch. You will now have some variety.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2011, 02:19 AM   #38
ArcticMoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts....INTERESTING logic, i like how you brought the sport watch look into the equation..being that i refuse to buy the YM with the current clasp I will probably end up with the daytona next...Thanks again
Easily remedied:

:-)
ArcticMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2011, 02:32 AM   #39
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMoose View Post
Easily remedied:

:-)
Niice..thats always an option..thanks for sharing
Old 7 May 2011, 02:43 AM   #40
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
I still think you should go with the Daytona. You already have a GMT IIc.

I personally don't see the TT GMT as being much different from the SS version because the SS is still somewhat flashy. But the Daytona is a completely different watch. You will now have some variety.
Agreed..just going to be hard to hold off on the TT...I usually dont mind a little redundency in my systems..makes people do a double take..like "didnt you just have on the SS one yesterday"...LOL!
Old 7 May 2011, 03:23 AM   #41
Grissom
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc 18K/SS
I think you ordered them well, actually. Based on potential price increases, and your own personal tastes, you have ordered them such that you will be acquiring them (excepting the YM) in descending price order.

You will have a very nice collection!!

Who else needs an Intervention?
(109 297) (137 237) (73 115) (221) (23) (56) (229) P-Club Member #5

RIP JJ Irani - TRF Legend
Grissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2011, 04:52 AM   #42
PHDX2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day-Date II
TT---Sounds like that's the one you really want. Go for it!
Old 7 May 2011, 05:37 AM   #43
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
1/Sub C SS Black
2/GMT IIC TT (owned one)
3/Yachtmaster SS/Plt (owned one)

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2011, 06:20 AM   #44
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
15% off on TT models is not a good deal at all. You should expect close to 25% off on the TT models. Out of the watches you listed, I would go with a white dial watch, doesnt matter if its Daytona or Exp2... I personally like drastic different styling on my watches.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2011, 06:33 AM   #45
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc324 View Post
Out of the watches you listed, I would go with a white dial watch, doesnt matter if its Daytona or Exp2... I personally like drastic different styling on my watches.
Yup. This is what I was getting at by variety. Think of the future when you are choosing which watch to wear. Won't you want something different from the one you just wore? TT GMT, or Sub C, will be too similar.
Old 7 May 2011, 07:57 AM   #46
Suzy Cruisy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 178343 TTDJ MOP24d
Are you going to buy them all new? (Seems like it, but I dunno?)

If you're going to buy some used, maybe let fate choose for you. If the perfect Daytona came available you maybe shouldn't pass it up. And then you won't have to think so hard on it all!

Cheers!

Suzy
Suzy Cruisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2011, 01:10 PM   #47
troyus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
I get that the Sub has a better depth rating, but assuming it's not being used for diving, the GMT has more functionality. The precision on the bezel is a minor benefit of the Sub over the GMT, but not against the chrono function of a Daytona.

The Sub is certainly iconic, but I'd never recommend this as a reason to buy one.

Don't get me wrong, all great watches. I'd love to own them all. Just discussing the subtle differences.
I, on the other hand would buy a watch because of its history.

On one hand, you can buy a watch because it is 'pretty' (I like it, it sings to me etc)
Or you can buy one that has a history, a story behind it. The two most noteable I can think of being the speedmaster pro moon watch and the Submariner.
troyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2011, 01:37 PM   #48
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyus View Post
I, on the other hand would buy a watch because of its history.

On one hand, you can buy a watch because it is 'pretty' (I like it, it sings to me etc)
Or you can buy one that has a history, a story behind it. The two most noteable I can think of being the speedmaster pro moon watch and the Submariner.
I think you've replaced 'iconic' with 'history'.

No argument the Sub is iconic. I would love a Sub one day, but not simply because it's iconic. I almost bought it instead of the GMT, but it came to a question of the functionality I was looking for.

As for history, many Rolex models have history, some more so than the Sub.

No disrespect to the Sub - it's a great watch. My point is that personally I would give more weight to aesthetics and functionality, over status and history.

To each their own.
Old 7 May 2011, 02:25 PM   #49
Rollie2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C + Exp 42
Quote:

What do you guys think?
Im not sure where in FL your located... but if my hunch is right, you got a call from Mayors?

I got a call from them the other day saying they were having the appreciation day as well
Rollie2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2011, 03:20 PM   #50
BUBBLEMAN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Go with the Daytona! Perfect balance of dressiness, while still maintaining a sense of sportiness...
BUBBLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2011, 03:53 PM   #51
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
if it were up to me i would wait for the new EXP II. updated case and movement plus a new clasp sounds awesome. since you already own a SS GMTII c getting a 2 tone version doesnt make too much sense IMO and getting a SS subc doesnt have enough of a change (for you) to warrant the cash.

The daytona and YM are cool too. but the new EXP II just seems like a great fit. especially if you get a white dial.
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2011, 07:30 PM   #52
Stengah
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
here is my opinion. get the daytona first to get something nice and different. then get the sub to go back to something more simple. then the TT GMT to remind you of your first and how far you have come. finally get the yacht to hopefully have some updates on it. and just get the explorer whenever you can, order doesn't matter. but i also agree with what others said about the daytona. if you would rather have a ceramic bezel, wait a couple years.
Stengah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2011, 08:04 PM   #53
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Daytona is a great choice...

I think it's the most different from what you currently have. The flat bezel as opposed to the riveted on most sports models. White would be good since you have a black dialed watch. And a chrono is nice to have in a collection (even though most of us never use it).
Good luck! It's a good list to follow!
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2011, 08:50 PM   #54
DS_Obsessed
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660 V
1. GMT IIC TT
2. Sub C SS Black
3. Yachtmaster SS/Plt
4. Pick a different brand, get some variety.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”
DS_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2011, 04:25 AM   #55
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
If you know you're going to get them all, and you're not too impatient...

Good idea putting Daytona first. They're the cheapest and easiest to get that they've been in a long time.

I'd put Sub-C and the new Exp-II at the end of the list. They'll be cheaper and easier to find once the newness and hype wears off.

Other than that, you may want to consider that Platty is certainly due for some changes. Only question is--what?

16610 Submariner Date; D Serial
16234 DateJust SS with WG Fluted Bezel & Jubillee, White Roman Dial; F Serial
16570 Explorer II White Dial; M Serial

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2011, 11:24 PM   #56
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_Obsessed View Post
1. GMT IIC TT
2. Sub C SS Black
3. Yachtmaster SS/Plt
4. Pick a different brand, get some variety.
No Daytona love from you? LOL

Yes variety would be good..thinking of mixing in a PAM..
Old 9 May 2011, 11:25 PM   #57
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
I think it's the most different from what you currently have. The flat bezel as opposed to the riveted on most sports models. White would be good since you have a black dialed watch. And a chrono is nice to have in a collection (even though most of us never use it).
Good luck! It's a good list to follow!
Right thats what im thinking..the Daytona i think it is!

Iconic and a must have in my opinion..

Thanks for contributing..
Old 9 May 2011, 11:27 PM   #58
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stengah View Post
here is my opinion. get the daytona first to get something nice and different. then get the sub to go back to something more simple. then the TT GMT to remind you of your first and how far you have come. finally get the yacht to hopefully have some updates on it. and just get the explorer whenever you can, order doesn't matter. but i also agree with what others said about the daytona. if you would rather have a ceramic bezel, wait a couple years.
Yup! Thanks, my thinking is in line with yours...I dont think i care for the ceramic daytona (right now), so thats not an issue.

Thanks for the input..
Old 9 May 2011, 11:33 PM   #59
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
if it were up to me i would wait for the new EXP II. updated case and movement plus a new clasp sounds awesome. since you already own a SS GMTII c getting a 2 tone version doesnt make too much sense IMO and getting a SS subc doesnt have enough of a change (for you) to warrant the cash.

The daytona and YM are cool too. but the new EXP II just seems like a great fit. especially if you get a white dial.
Thanks for the input..not sure if I am patient enough to wait on a new version EXP II...
Old 9 May 2011, 11:33 PM   #60
KingJames
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBLEMAN View Post
Go with the Daytona! Perfect balance of dressiness, while still maintaining a sense of sportiness...
Agreed...can rock it with shorts and flip flops as well as a nice suit...

Thanks