The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 December 2023, 01:15 AM   #1
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Canada Goose Artic Tech issues

Thought I would share a couple things that I’ve recently learned about Canada Goose. Maybe I’m coming late to the party but I personally haven’t seen were these things are mentioned if they are not many places anyway. I have a few Canada Goose coats myself so it’s not like I’m your typical Canada Goose critic. Anyway it’s not something you typically expect from a coat anyway.

Canada Goose uses a material called Artic Tech and it’s my understanding they have been using that since the eighties and it worked really well for what it was designed for which was extreme cold weather expeditions. It wasn’t necessarily intended for a coat which people wore to go shopping in the malls. In fact it’s a material that stays very pliable in extreme cold weather where other more durable material just gets extremely stiff.

When buying my Canada Goose coats going back more than a decade ago I had no idea how fragile this material can be. Granted it can withstand some use but it just doesn’t react very well to rubbing against things to include rubbing against itself. Not only does it result in a grayish color over time but many of the coats develop holes in their sleeves. Discoloration and holes can occur elsewhere and do but when wearing these coats inner sleeves always come in contact with the body of the coat when you swing your arms. The good thing for the inner part of the sleeves anyway is that you won’t necessarily notice it in the beginning because it occurs in the inner part of the sleeve.

Personally I only have one coat where it currently can be found to some degree and small for now but this is the coat I wear most often. It was purchased in Nov of 2018 but as I said I have other coats so it would be worse if it were my only coat. If you have one but have yet to experience this issue just take a look at the description of many of the used Canada Goose coats Canada Goose sells as part of their Generation line of coats. Their best condition used coats mostly have some bit of discoloration.

Anyway I’ve been a big fan of these coats, so I felt obligated to share this information. I somewhat feel guilty for not sharing this kind of information previously but it’s not until recently I discovered this issue. How much of this and when will just depend on how much you wear these coats.

I would say if comparing Canada Goose to other luxury brands of this type most don’t appear to use a very substantial and durable material. I have heard some issues with the material Nobis uses for example but I can’t remember the specifics. I would also mention Moose Knuckles uses a much more durable and in fact much more water resistant material than what Canada Goose uses. Where Canada Goose the water just seeps into the material getting the down wet, the material Moose Knuckles uses will do a much better job. It’s just that their fur doesn’t detach from the hood but the hood does detach from the coat and some of their zippers are exposed so they aren’t water proof. Most user reviews that include a Moose Knuckles coat on YouTube mention how good the build quality and material they use is when compared to other brands. Moose Knuckles don’t typically retain their value as good as Canada Goose but most don’t just because Canada Goose is the one that has created such demand in their product. Moose Knuckles is a slim fitting coat but that’s not such bad thing for a Down coat either as long as you don’t need to layer. They certainly can be as warm as a Canada Goose Coat but I would also say they can be a bit heavier given the material they use. If you can get over their branding it’s an excellent alternative to Canada Goose.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 02:01 AM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Yeah - Moose anything summons up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 02:04 AM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Yeah - Moose anything summons up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, we’ll maybe it might have been better had that been their emblem instead of the one they chose to use.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 December 2023, 02:31 AM   #4
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Buy military surplus arctic wear. Very affordable, supremely durable in active use, and lasts forever. You don’t get to broadcast that you spent a months pay for the average Joe on a jacket, but you’ll be warm on a cold day.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 02:48 AM   #5
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
Buy military surplus arctic wear. Very affordable, supremely durable in active use, and lasts forever. You don’t get to broadcast that you spent a months pay for the average Joe on a jacket, but you’ll be warm on a cold day.
I’m retired military. Not only that but I participated in cold weather training two seperate times in Alaska. I have a real good idea what the various options I have.

Are you new to the Forum? You do realize this is the same forum we talk about watches and cars that cost a whole lot more?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 December 2023, 03:12 AM   #6
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I’m retired military. Not only that but I participated in cold weather training two seperate times in Alaska. I have a real good idea what the various options I have.

Are you new to the Forum? You do realize this is the same forum we talk about watches and cars that cost a whole lot more?
I was in the military too. The apparel they have today is far superior to the vintage stuff. The European surplus exceeds many current commercial standards.

I'm on the Style Forum. Your review would be great there. Here, a detailed assessment of famously expensive luxury apparel is an obvious flex.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 03:14 AM   #7
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
I was in the military too. The apparel they have today is far superior to the vintage stuff. The European surplus exceeds many current commercial standards.

I'm on the Style Forum. Your review would be great there. Here, a detailed assessment of famously expensive luxury apparel is an obvious flex.
And discussion of Rolex watches, Patek Phillippe, and Porsches or Ferrari are not. Get real

By the way my Moose Knuckles was such a big flex I found it for 50% off so it only cost half that much salary at a little less than $700. Wow, I imagine those talking about Porsches in that car love thread will be real impressed. I’m really flexing now.

What in THE HECK are you talking about? Take just a minute to look around at where you are at and the various things that get talked about on this forum. If you think Styleforum has anything on this forum you’re gravely mistaken. Being a participant at times on both forums I have a little idea what goes on there as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 December 2023, 06:45 AM   #8
matthew_r
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
Great post! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I’ve been eyeing a Canada Goose parka for a while, but will have to take a look at a Moose Knuckles before pulling the trigger.
matthew_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 06:54 AM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_r View Post
Great post! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I’ve been eyeing a Canada Goose parka for a while, but will have to take a look at a Moose Knuckles before pulling the trigger.
No problem that’s one of the reasons I like this forum. As I said their branding and style doesn’t work for everybody but they are some very nice coats. There are other brands which are not considered such luxury brands which are built tougher but I personally prefer coats like Canada Goose and Moose Knuckles.

Good Luck.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 December 2023, 06:57 AM   #10
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_r View Post
By the way I personally found some of the YouTube reviews and comparisons to be somewhat helpful.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 December 2023, 07:09 AM   #11
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I stopped wearing down-stuffed plastic and went back to wool coats. Warm enough for my 20 degree F mornings.. and I can't easily burn a hole tending to my bbq or a fire in the winter.
Old 15 December 2023, 07:11 AM   #12
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
I stopped wearing down-stuffed plastic and went back to wool coats. Warm enough for my 20 degree F mornings.. and I can't easily burn a hole tending to my bbq or a fire in the winter.
No one thing works for everybody, but then again not all my Down coats are plastic either. But then again Down coats aren’t the only winter coats I own either.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 December 2023, 07:52 AM   #13
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Saw this article about Canada Goose being stolen so much that police are recommending using Air Tags to track them: https://9to5mac.com/2023/12/01/airta...goose-jackets/

Just glad I live in a small enough town that I don't have to worry about this!
piratepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 07:56 AM   #14
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepress View Post
Saw this article about Canada Goose being stolen so much that police are recommending using Air Tags to track them: https://9to5mac.com/2023/12/01/airta...goose-jackets/

Just glad I live in a small enough town that I don't have to worry about this!
Very few people in my area own them. But theft has never been a concern because I’m either wearing or it’s hanging in my closet. But then again I’ve never been worried about wearing my watch either.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 December 2023, 09:11 AM   #15
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I recommend Quartz coats (also out of Canada). Extremely well made and no problems so far.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 09:28 AM   #16
dddrees
"TRF" Member

The moderator for one of the coat forums I have followed a bit who lives in Canada and has a few different brands to include Canada Goose and Moose Knuckles called this brand indestructible.

https://outdoorsurvivalcanada.com/product/kanti/

For most people this specific coat would be overkill.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 December 2023, 09:34 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Not that you asked …

The best winter parka in my very humble opinion is from Iron Heart.

https://www.ironheart.co.uk/jackets/ihj-75-kha.html

Super warm, super durable, the specs speak for themselves.

EDIT: oh and I live in Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 09:44 AM   #18
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Filson mackinaw wool packer, it doesn’t get any better.

You never actually own the coat, you merely look after it for the next generation. Wait…
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 09:50 AM   #19
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Not that you asked …

The best winter parka in my very humble opinion is from Iron Heart.

https://www.ironheart.co.uk/jackets/ihj-75-kha.html

Super warm, super durable, the specs speak for themselves.

EDIT: oh and I live in Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice, but I like fur.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moose Knuckles Gold Ballistic Bomber 1.jpg (19.3 KB, 139 views)

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 December 2023, 09:55 AM   #20
stylinleems

I recently purchased the DESCENTE ALLTERRAIN Mountaineer Down Jacket (in Black) and it's extremely warm and comfortable.

Much better than my Canada Goose jacket and not as heavy.
stylinleems is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 09:56 AM   #21
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presa canary View Post
Filson mackinaw wool packer, it doesn’t get any better.

You never actually own the coat, you merely look after it for the next generation. Wait…
From what I've seen more than a few say not so much as what they used to be.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 December 2023, 10:04 AM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Nice, but I like fur.

It’s about as personal a choice as a watch isn’t it?

Have a look at some of their other stuff. It’s a truly an amazing brand and I’ve never experienced better quality (made in Japan) sales and customer service in all my life.

Order something today, and it’ll arrive in Canada or the US in 2 days. No hassle returns, and super knowledgeable staff.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 10:06 AM   #23
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinleems View Post
I recently purchased the DESCENTE ALLTERRAIN Mountaineer Down Jacket (in Black) and it's extremely warm and comfortable.

Much better than my Canada Goose jacket and not as heavy.
The problem with these kind of comparisons is that Canada Goose has a good number of cold weather coats of which many are designed for a good number of different temperature ranges. Which is not unlike a number of different manufacturers. For one the Canada Goose Snow Mantra works well below zero. Then they have Bomber Jackets which really aren't meant for temperatures below zero. Regardless one thing Canada Goose does really well is they tell you what temperature ranges their coats work in, they are pretty spot on.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 December 2023, 10:08 AM   #24
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

It’s about as personal a choice as a watch isn’t it?

Have a look at some of their other stuff. It’s a truly an amazing brand and I’ve never experienced better quality (made in Japan) sales and customer service in all my life.

Order something today, and it’ll arrive in Canada or the US in 2 days. No hassle returns, and super knowledgeable staff.
Really it is, and really there a good number of different options.

If it's made in Japan there's a really good chance based on my experience it would be.

Edit: By the way I've heard of Iron heart quite a bit but I just haven't gotten around to getting anything from them for some reason. The material they use is very similar to what Moose Knuckles uses by the way. I think they both use cotton and nylon.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 December 2023, 10:08 AM   #25
stylinleems

Quote:
The problem with these kind of comparisons is that Canada Goose has a good number of cold weather coats of which many are designed for a good number of different temperature ranges. Which is not unlike a number of different manufacturers. For one the Canada Goose Snow Mantra works well below zero. Then they have Bomber Jackets which really aren't meant for temperatures below zero. Regardless one thing Canada Goose does really well is they tell you what temperature ranges their coats work in, they are pretty spot on.

Totally agree with you. CG does well at advising what temperature ranges each of their jackets fall under and are good for.
stylinleems is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 10:30 AM   #26
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinleems View Post
Totally agree with you. CG does well at advising what temperature ranges each of their jackets fall under and are good for.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 December 2023, 11:03 AM   #27
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Those are interesting, Brian. I own 2 CG jackets, but I feel the quality is not what I expected. I've been looking for something without logos that is high quality. Do you pay any duties to bring it into Canada?
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 06:11 PM   #28
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post
Those are interesting, Brian. I own 2 CG jackets, but I feel the quality is not what I expected. I've been looking for something without logos that is high quality. Do you pay any duties to bring it into Canada?
Now that they cost so much more than they used too, I think that this couldn't be more true. At least I never had to pay todays prices and for a brand that once was even harder to find on sale I was able to get a few for less than what they typically cost. But now one of the coats I bought cost more than twice as much as what I paid for it.

They work and I'm glad I have them but I wouldn't buy them now given what I know and what they now cost.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 December 2023, 01:52 AM   #29
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post
Did you purchase yours recently?

By the way I just came across this today which talks about Canada Goose and it appears they maybe underfilling their coats. Given the what has happened to the climate maybe that's a good thing. LOL

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadaGoose...angford_parka/

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 December 2023, 02:22 AM   #30
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Did you purchase yours recently?

By the way I just came across this today which talks about Canada Goose and it appears they maybe underfilling their coats. Given the what has happened to the climate maybe that's a good thing. LOL

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadaGoose...angford_parka/
I bought mine two years ago. Can't find the name of my Parka. I also wear the Lockport during the warm winter months in Toronto. We can fluctuate between -5 and 0 C during these days in December. I have worn the Lockport the most; however, it has discoloured. I have never taken it to the dry cleaners. Don't even start with me about the certified dry cleaners program. I haven't worn my parka too much yet. The zipper is messed up. I asked for warranty work, yet they want me to pay for shipping. In the past, I ordered a jacket from CG, which was stolen by UPS. So I am reluctant to send it in.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote