2024 Pledge Member

2022 summed up

huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 05:33 AM   #10082
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Even better, because then I can ladder the expirations.
Bingo my friend, that is EXACTLY how you want to think about bonds - just be cognizant of transaction fees, there should be no spread on treasuries (albeit not familiar with E*Trade, just look for hidden costs).
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2022, 04:20 PM   #10083
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
This thread has really died down since the market became difficult to trade.

On a different note in today’s Jim Cramer makes a fool of himself News Jim is waiting for a Crypto crash that already happened and he must’ve missed to bring down inflation and thinks wages need to come down to bring down inflation after decades of stagnant real wage growth. How does this guy have a television show.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2022, 09:02 PM   #10084
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Ugh, Jim Cramer belongs in jail for market manipulation...

...but the SEC with all the evidence it needs to prosecute doesn't care.

Business as usual for CNBCBS.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2022, 09:46 PM   #10085
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
2022 summed up

Coming through with the Gold yet again lol
330ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2022, 10:37 PM   #10086
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post

On a different note in today’s Jim Cramer makes a fool of himself News Jim is waiting for a Crypto crash that already happened and he must’ve missed to bring down inflation and thinks wages need to come down to bring down inflation after decades of stagnant real wage growth. How does this guy have a television show.
nvidia is up like 40% since he said it's a loser and he's short lol
Old 15 December 2022, 06:02 AM   #10087
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
nvidia is up like 40% since he said it's a loser and he's short lol
Yup. I would have been aggressive with mentioning here the buying opportunity a few months back and valuation models but I cannot not due to my profession. AMD just laid an egg with RDNA3. NVIDIA will make massive profits off of the AD102 in the 4090 prosumer/gaming and RTX 6000 Ada enterprise. Hopper H100 is where the real profit is and I expect NVIDIA to allocate a lot of TSMC node capacity to H100s which go for $40k+
Old 15 December 2022, 10:51 AM   #10088
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
People must like to hear him screech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post

What he says is always off the mark. A family member noted he must get free Spam for all his mentions of Hormel.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 11:03 AM   #10089
KokPingBalzac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Bingo my friend, that is EXACTLY how you want to think about bonds - just be cognizant of transaction fees, there should be no spread on treasuries (albeit not familiar with E*Trade, just look for hidden costs).
How are you positioning your portfolio to take advantage of the infrastructure bill and also new developments across many renewables developments. Green hydrogen, "circular" economy investments, decarbonization, natural gas production from landfills, EV battery manufacturing and recycling, solar/wind manufacturing and operations, nuclear energy (large and small scale), etc. Lots of capital is pouring into this space from governments and venture investors and I expect that trend to continue heavily in this decade.

Currently I have exposures to BEPC (C-Corp version of BEP LP), NEP, DOW, WM (installing natural gas extraction tech into their landfills), APD (getting involved with hydrogen projects), OXY (leader in oil extraction decarb), CQP (basically an LNG arbitrage exporter play), URI (heavy equipment rentals which is kind of a sideways play on this infrastructure bill) and I've owned RS for a while- has been a massive winner for me the past few years and is the largest metals services company in the US.

I've traded the solar panel manufacturer CSIQ in the past but I'm not as big a fan of the hardware business as I am just owning the renewable assets out right which have more predictable cash flows and long term inflation linked contracts in vehicles like BEP and NEP. The US based solar manufacturers are incredibly overvalued based on my FCFE models.

Valuations of WM and APD are quite stretched so I'm selling calls on them but am young and comfortable holding for the long term.

Also waiting to buy a position into some of the critical metals companies- I'd like to see more cyclical pullback in some of these names though: FCX, ALB, MP materials, maybe something like an alcoa, US steel, or Cleveland Cliffs... CLF is really interesting right now- this stock looks insanely cheap but it's hard to say if they will sink down to negative earnings in this macro slide.

Steel, copper, nickel, aluminium, lithium, rare earth minerals likely to benefit from a longer term renewables cycle. Problem with these is picking the right entry point and knowing when things are overheated and it's time to get out.
KokPingBalzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2022, 12:05 AM   #10090
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I wonder how much of this will play out in the months to come...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/were-f-ro...201000880.html

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2022, 04:26 AM   #10091
Doc Savage
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I wonder how much of this will play out in the months to come...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/were-f-ro...201000880.html
I hope we see a lot of it. Financial crimes seem to be the least prosecuted in the US. Fraud is rampant because people see little risk in it.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2022, 04:56 AM   #10092
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
I hope we see a lot of it. Financial crimes seem to be the least prosecuted in the US. Fraud is rampant because people see little risk in it.
Agreed.

Old 16 December 2022, 06:09 AM   #10093
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Old 19 December 2022, 01:28 AM   #10094
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
What he says is always off the mark. A family member noted he must get free Spam for all his mentions of Hormel.
Old 19 December 2022, 02:43 AM   #10095
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Who went to jail from the 2008 fraud? Huge loss if homes, jobs... even needed a bailout. Which TBTF banks were broken up?

We know HFT and selling flow fraud is rewarded in the USA, and actual fraud (if doubtfully caught) is just part of 'the expenses' for Wall Street. Your job is to have a great HFT algo that front-runs their algo, or launch an app / site so you can sell order flow. Guaranteed income, very low risk.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2022, 02:23 PM   #10096
surfsail50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16753
Atlas trading...

This is a huge issue that went on for too long.
surfsail50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2022, 03:02 AM   #10097
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Time for some wild, mostly unhinged logic based predictions because it's year end:

1. S&P 500 index hits 3000-3200 sometime in 2023. Boringly due to Apple and Microsoft losing PE dropping below 20x.
2. Powell will ultimately be right that inflation on a month to month basis got under control by late 2022, and then Waller as an outspoken recovering dove turned hawk will drive the bus off the cliff accidentally because he's a perennial laggard.
3. SS Daytona will still be the best looking watch in the category of suggested retail price under 20k even though retail sticker will be 15500. Fighting words I know! But this is TRF.
4. China economy will go bonkers (in a good way) by end of 2023 and any kiddo getting red envelopes in 2024 will be happy.
5. Shorting newly minted SPACS will be the best hedge against the final chapter for stimmie hangover.
6. Any scenario that doesn't end in WWIII will be a good scenario coming out of 1918 flu part deux.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2022, 03:27 AM   #10098
avidflyer
2024 Pledge Member

Who's buying Tesla at $100????
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2022, 04:13 AM   #10099
Doc Savage
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Time for some wild, mostly unhinged logic based predictions because it's year end:

1. S&P 500 index hits 3000-3200 sometime in 2023. Boringly due to Apple and Microsoft losing PE dropping below 20x.

2. Powell will ultimately be right that inflation on a month to month basis got under control by late 2022, and then Waller as an outspoken recovering dove turned hawk will drive the bus off the cliff accidentally because he's a perennial laggard.

3. SS Daytona will still be the best looking watch in the category of suggested retail price under 20k even though retail sticker will be 15500. Fighting words I know! But this is TRF.

4. China economy will go bonkers (in a good way) by end of 2023 and any kiddo getting red envelopes in 2024 will be happy.

5. Shorting newly minted SPACS will be the best hedge against the final chapter for stimmie hangover.

6. Any scenario that doesn't end in WWIII will be a good scenario coming out of 1918 flu part deux.
Love these!

I'm totally with you on the S&P.

Can't agree about the Daytona (on future price or looks), but I agree Rolex prices will continue downward.

Inflation will decrease only slightly over the first two quarters of 2023, and Powell will return to 75 basis point increases. These half-hearted raises will not help significantly.

China will have several more massive Covid outbreaks, causing their economy to roller coaster through the year. You reap what you sow.

After a spectacular (and totally predictable) pullback in 2022, Bitcoin will outperform every American index, gold, or other commodity in 2023. It will rally into year end especially.

Russia will leave Ukraine and claim an empty victory.

Americans will tire of devisive public servants and move en masse toward a compassionate, sensible form discourse that serves the majority of people (I can wish, can't I?)

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2022, 02:39 PM   #10100
Andy0331
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Americans will tire of devisive public servants and move en masse toward a compassionate, sensible form discourse that serves the majority of people (I can wish, can't I?)
And there goes your credibility!

Just kidding. Definitely a good wish, dream, fantasy, etc.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2022, 12:48 AM   #10101
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Pretty good interview with David Tepper. Start at 11:48

https://overcast.fm/+UWejm-kVo/11:48

His hedge firm is short equity. Increased his short positions last 3 weeks

jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2022, 01:08 AM   #10102
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
Who's buying Tesla at $100????
Probably Tesla to keep up the ruse
330ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2022, 03:36 AM   #10103
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

He also owns the Carolina Panthers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
Pretty good interview with David Tepper. Start at 11:48

His hedge firm is short equity. Increased his short positions last 3 weeks

So his portfolio has a question mark.
Old 1 January 2023, 08:34 AM   #10104
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
So his portfolio has a question mark.

Not sure what you mean. Sorry. I’m usually slow on New Year’s Eve.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 01:13 PM   #10105
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

I dont even see where I said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
Not sure what you mean. Sorry. I’m usually slow on New Year’s Eve.
Maybe I’m drinking on NYE.
Old 3 January 2023, 02:53 AM   #10106
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

I found this to be very interesting. Maybe because it’s inline with my current plan. And so many hold buffet in such high regard, rightfully so. But regardless, I thought I’d post.

I recall a comment or here, at one point correlating the greed of folks holding onto stocks for too long as the same greed when someone is in cash and holding onto it as long as possible before putting it back into the markets. I was baffled by this post. Didn’t respond at the time. Still makes little sense to me.

Right now, I’m about 80% in high yield savings, bonds or CD’s. Earning between 4 and 4.5%, while everything else appears to be losing. I checked my year end and my losses are lower than any major index. I only wish I made the move to cash more aggressively and earlier.

I’m simply trying to hold onto the money I earned. Not sure how that’s greedy. And yes, at a certain point, I’ll reinvest it. But for now, when the markets go down, I lose just a bit in comparison to what used to. I also make between 4 and 4.5%. When the markets go up, I get a little juice and I also make between 4 and 4.5%.

As interest rates go up, I will make more.

Looks like 2023 will be as much pain if not more than 2022. I understand those that are sticking it out. I get it. And in ten years, I’m sure they will be just fine. I do imagine many are wishing they got out when they could have. Clearly it’s too late now.

And imho, it’s hard to fault folks that pulled out given what we have seen and what the horizon appears to hold. It was obviously a gamble at the time. But I have saved a small fortune so far and I look forward to investing it at the right time.

For now, I’ve been quite so comfortable with my investment strategy. It suits my personal goals and my lack of an appetite for risk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 77829AC9-DB22-4815-B50C-AA4427DC0857.jpeg (80.1 KB, 157 views)

Old 3 January 2023, 03:13 AM   #10107
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
I found this to be very interesting. Maybe because it’s inline with my current plan. And so many hold buffet in such high regard, rightfully so. But regardless, I thought I’d post.

I recall a comment or here, at one point correlating the greed of folks holding onto stocks for too long as the same greed when someone is in cash and holding onto it as long as possible before putting it back into the markets. I was baffled by this post. Didn’t respond at the time. Still makes little sense to me.

Right now, I’m about 80% in high yield savings, bonds or CD’s. Earning between 4 and 4.5%, while everything else appears to be losing. I checked my year end and my losses are lower than any major index. I only wish I made the move to cash more aggressively and earlier.

I’m simply trying to hold onto the money I earned. Not sure how that’s greedy. And yes, at a certain point, I’ll reinvest it. But for now, when the markets go down, I lose just a bit in comparison to what used to. I also make between 4 and 4.5%. When the markets go up, I get a little juice and I also make between 4 and 4.5%.

Looks like 2023 will be as much pain if not more than 2022. I understand those that are sticking it out. I get it. And in ten years, I’m sure they will be just fine. I do imagine many are wishing they got out when they could have. Clearly it’s too late now.

And imho, it’s hard to fault folks that pulled out given what we have seen and what the horizon appears to hold. It was obviously a gamble at the time. But I have saved a small fortune so far and I look forward to investing it at the right time.

For now, I’ve been quite so comfortable with my investment strategy. It suits my personal goals and my lack of an appetite for risk.

Nothing greedy about trying to preserve your own money.

Buffet is a guru, I wish I was in the same circle as him intellectually.

I sold out of 95% of my holdings (excluding 401k) between sept-dec 2021. Just been sitting on the cash. I didn’t even put it all in to bonds or CD’s. I get a decent rate in my savings. Transferred some to high yield savings but the majority is just sitting in easily accessible cash so I can jump on any opportunity that presents itself.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2023, 11:34 PM   #10108
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It’s definitely a solid strategy. Short term US Treasuries are safe and good yields (with no state income tax) yields. Of course, this all depends on your relative net worth and your age/ time horizon.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 06:47 AM   #10109
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
FYI they beat because of the one time $30M milestone payment from Otsuka, the selloff was due to lower 2023 projections. What I think most people missed from the call, besides sheer frustration from the incompetency of management and sales team, is Peter/CEO said the court document being released this afternoon will be on the defense arguments for the patent lawsuit. I suspect this will lead to a settlement with SUN, as they settle all of their frivolous lawsuits. MV $700m with $400m in cash with a FDA approved LN best in class drug worth only $350M appears ridiculous to me. A lot of uncertainty here, I am dollar cost averaging, apparently, to $0. Looking forward to digging through this IPR afterhours today.
For those riding the AUPH train with me, exceptional news on the IPR front today, they announced settlement with Sun today (played out exactly as my above post from Nov) https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...0103005512/en/. Waiting to see settlement details and if Sun is planning to pay any royalties to AUPH for their CEQUA product. Interesting day to release the news with the biggest biotech conference of the year next week. VERY happy I DCA'd down in Nov/Dec and posted those trades below to show the benefit of implementing DCA. Hopefully some of you made money as well after the beating from most of last year. Will trim a long the way up again, time to go watch shopping Lets hope 2023 trading pans out better than last year, cheers everyone.

Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 08:00 AM   #10110
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
For those riding the AUPH train with me, exceptional news on the IPR front today, they announced settlement with Sun today (played out exactly as my above post from Nov) https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...0103005512/en/. Waiting to see settlement details and if Sun is planning to pay any royalties to AUPH for their CEQUA product. Interesting day to release the news with the biggest biotech conference of the year next week. VERY happy I DCA'd down in Nov/Dec and posted those trades below to show the benefit of implementing DCA. Hopefully some of you made money as well after the beating from most of last year. Will trim a long the way up again, time to go watch shopping Lets hope 2023 trading pans out better than last year, cheers everyone.

nice dude!! congrats. that is awesome news.