The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 January 2021, 05:59 PM   #91
HKtoter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Absolute dependability, 11mph downhill in a vacuum is the best you’ll get.

1989 62 series
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2A216D0A-BAF7-4DCD-9455-15E931F65FC2.jpeg (245.4 KB, 140 views)

LUG HOLE LOYALIST
HKtoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 03:30 AM   #92
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
I feared this was coming so I bought a gently used 2020. It was a bit of a challenge given they aren't sold in Canada (can get the Lexus).
It features:
  • Front & Rear locking electric diffs
  • OME BP-51 Suspension
  • Full Skidplates
  • TRD Wheels
  • BFG K02 tires
  • Rigid Lightbars front and rear
  • FrontRunner Slimline II Rack
  • 12gal extended range tank
  • Slee sliders
  • Rock Lights
  • Rigid side lights in amber
  • Warn Zeon Winch w/hidden mount
  • ARB air under hood
  • Air Bags on the rear
  • Double batteries
  • etc. etc.

It is awful on fuel but a beast off road. It was bought mainly to go hunting and fishing in the woods well off paved roads. It's a keeper for life.
OMG I’m so jealous
Old 10 January 2021, 03:41 AM   #93
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I'm curious about the market for some of these type of vehicles and others coming out. Lets face it aren't these really soccer mom and family transportation vehicles.

I mean how many people really need off road and snorkels attached to their luxury traveling living rooms on wheels. Isn't it just really macho posing with all this off road stuff when I'm guessing 90% of them never see a dirt road in their lifetime. And a snorkel,.....seriously?...

Not being negative, but just asking???
Well this is a point of view that for which we can all be very hypocritical with, and of which I’m guilty of also.
But how many actually dive with their Submariner or put the Hev to use on a Deepsea(their has been only one person on TRF who actually used his Deepsea as required and his experience wasn’t actually good iirc).
Then there’s sports cars, how many really are going to track their F8 Tributo or Huayra Roadster, and how usable is the 700hp plus of a Hellcat or Mac 720s on the street. Then let’s not forget our texans and their trucks. I see very very few hauling lumber and refrigerators, haven’t seen one Raptor yet with a trailer attached. It’s the way things are...

Now I will say this, of all the things I mentioned I can tell you that the Land Cruiser is probably the only item that by and large is actually used as intended. Just about every foreign government uses it abroad in austere environments, they sell about five much more than US sales in Australia and the middle east where they specifically buy it to use in off road situations. It also has a huge following for overlanders, there isn’t a better vehicle to live life on the road with.

Objectively speaking, the LC has two issues, high gas mileage and supposedly inferior interior tech.
I’ve owned some pretty high tech cars from Acura and BMW and now own a lowly 4Runner TRD Pro, which is ironically my favorite vehicle I’ve owned. Bad gas mileage, synthetic interior, simple old school interior design.....but man, less is more and off road it’s unstoppable because that where it’s tech excels.

With that, I’ll say like many other cars out there....Jeep Warngler, Ford trucks, G Wagons or Porsche 911s....when you want that, nothing else will do. People who buy Wranglers or LCs don’t care about other models or tech, they only want that car and nothing else will do and no tech or marketing will change their mind.

As for weak sales and promotion, Toyota only sells the 4K units it makes here because the factory is actually at capacity for production, Motor Trend has been talking about it for years. If 10k people payed in advance for an LC, it wouldn’t matter, they can’t make more and don’t want to(push for Lexus). All components are high quality and built to last up to 25 years. The exhaust for example is double walled steel for durability and rust prevention. Honestly, I’m not surprised by this move, Toyota as a whole has a history of killing off amazing products for a variety of reasons and it usually has nothing to do with demand....Supra, FJ Cruiser, MR2 to name a few and now the LC and even the Lexus GS sedan.
The LC is puzzling though at a time when rugged SUVs have an all time high popularity, enter the Bronco/Defender and Chevy was dramatically ridiculed for neutering the new Blazer. Toyota will be ridiculed for this move and the LC market will skyrocket just like old Supras and FJs. The Lexus variant will not fill the gap left behind because whoever wanted and LC will barf at the thought of owning a Lexus LX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfesq View Post
What’s the big deal The Lexus is the same truck with nicer leather. Last I checked they still going to be selling that here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Lexus for one is I would say objectively butt ugly, costs even more for the same car(better leather maybe) and has reduced clearance. Between the two, most would pick the LC unless you just want the name Lexus.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 03:59 AM   #94
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Can’t beat a LC. They are built like a tank. Resale is amazing...and it’s only going to get better. The ride quality is top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 08:03 AM   #95
Crazy Canuck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Well this is a point of view that for which we can all be very hypocritical with, and of which I’m guilty of also.
But how many actually dive with their Submariner or put the Hev to use on a Deepsea(their has been only one person on TRF who actually used his Deepsea as required and his experience wasn’t actually good iirc).
Then there’s sports cars, how many really are going to track their F8 Tributo or Huayra Roadster, and how usable is the 700hp plus of a Hellcat or Mac 720s on the street. Then let’s not forget our texans and their trucks. I see very very few hauling lumber and refrigerators, haven’t seen one Raptor yet with a trailer attached. It’s the way things are...

Now I will say this, of all the things I mentioned I can tell you that the Land Cruiser is probably the only item that by and large is actually used as intended. Just about every foreign government uses it abroad in austere environments, they sell about five much more than US sales in Australia and the middle east where they specifically buy it to use in off road situations. It also has a huge following for overlanders, there isn’t a better vehicle to live life on the road with.

Objectively speaking, the LC has two issues, high gas mileage and supposedly inferior interior tech.
I’ve owned some pretty high tech cars from Acura and BMW and now own a lowly 4Runner TRD Pro, which is ironically my favorite vehicle I’ve owned. Bad gas mileage, synthetic interior, simple old school interior design.....but man, less is more and off road it’s unstoppable because that where it’s tech excels.

With that, I’ll say like many other cars out there....Jeep Warngler, Ford trucks, G Wagons or Porsche 911s....when you want that, nothing else will do. People who buy Wranglers or LCs don’t care about other models or tech, they only want that car and nothing else will do and no tech or marketing will change their mind.

As for weak sales and promotion, Toyota only sells the 4K units it makes here because the factory is actually at capacity for production, Motor Trend has been talking about it for years. If 10k people payed in advance for an LC, it wouldn’t matter, they can’t make more and don’t want to(push for Lexus). All components are high quality and built to last up to 25 years. The exhaust for example is double walled steel for durability and rust prevention. Honestly, I’m not surprised by this move, Toyota as a whole has a history of killing off amazing products for a variety of reasons and it usually has nothing to do with demand....Supra, FJ Cruiser, MR2 to name a few and now the LC and even the Lexus GS sedan.
The LC is puzzling though at a time when rugged SUVs have an all time high popularity, enter the Bronco/Defender and Chevy was dramatically ridiculed for neutering the new Blazer. Toyota will be ridiculed for this move and the LC market will skyrocket just like old Supras and FJs. The Lexus variant will not fill the gap left behind because whoever wanted and LC will barf at the thought of owning a Lexus LX.

The Lexus for one is I would say objectively butt ugly, costs even more for the same car(better leather maybe) and has reduced clearance. Between the two, most would pick the LC unless you just want the name Lexus.
Bang on.

It does what I want. It’s the most capable and most reliable. That’s what I was looking for, I didn’t give a shit about infotainment.

My wife drives a 2020 Expedition Max. On the highway there is no comparison. Expedition Max is lovely. Off-road the LC shines. No comparison. Depends what you want to do.

The LX is a poseur with inferior approach and departure angles.

I could have bought one here in Canada but refused. Wanted the LC as aftermarket is more extensive and it flies under the radar.

The ride off-road is top notch. It’s an incredible vehicle. Mileage is terrible.
Crazy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 08:12 AM   #96
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
I initially thought I'd go Wrangler Rubicon, well they don't have the reputation and reliability of the LC nor are they inexpensive.

So here were are ... this is the truck ....

Awesome rig and very cleanly executed! Would love to put that through the paces. Great overland rig and the can boogie in the desert with the right suspension too. Great all around off road rig.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 06:28 PM   #97
Morrisdog
"TRF" Member

The Landcruisers we have in Australia are all diesel. You have a choice of the 76 series, 200 series or the Prados. The first two have a nice v8 turbo diesel. They are expensive for what you get if you just look at luxury features. But in some ways they are cheaper because of the resale value and reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Morrisdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 09:59 PM   #98
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

It appears it’s going to come back to the US at some time in some form. From a Toyota rep:

Toyota's issued a statement affirming that 2021 is the final year for the Land Cruiser as we know it. It reads, "The Toyota Land Cruiser has been a legendary name for more than 60 years. While it will be discontinued in the United States after the 2021 model year, we remain committed to the large SUV segment and will continue to explore future products that celebrate the Land Cruiser’s rich off-road history. We encourage loyal enthusiasts and intrepid adventurers to stay tuned for future developments."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ser-dead-2022/
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 10:10 PM   #99
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs

I drive a white one .

Toyota Hilux .Indestructible .

Never needed a Land Cruiser .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 11:20 AM   #100
Db7566
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post

I drive a white one .

Toyota Hilux .Indestructible .

Never needed a Land Cruiser .

Love the hilux
Db7566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 01:00 PM   #101
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I actually looked at an 01 LC and 04 LX today as a toy of sorts. The LX was in great shape inside and out with only surface rust underneath and a few spots on the gates etc. big issue was the trans. Did not sound right and vibrated like hell at 2600-2900rpm. 105k miles. The LC, had been road hard on the inside.....rough is being nice. But the drive train was like butter and I didn’t see any rust. 195k miles. So now I’m on a serious hunt for a 2006-2007 100 series. Wish me luck!

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 01:22 AM   #102
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
I actually looked at an 01 LC and 04 LX today as a toy of sorts. The LX was in great shape inside and out with only surface rust underneath and a few spots on the gates etc. big issue was the trans. Did not sound right and vibrated like hell at 2600-2900rpm. 105k miles. The LC, had been road hard on the inside.....rough is being nice. But the drive train was like butter and I didn’t see any rust. 195k miles. So now I’m on a serious hunt for a 2006-2007 100 series. Wish me luck!

Sent using Tapatalk
Good luck in the hunt.
Old 12 January 2021, 01:34 AM   #103
absin2
Banned

Keeping fingers crossed to see what happens in the end.
absin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 01:56 AM   #104
jumpmaster 175
"TRF" Member

Dependability is awesome

Can't speak for the US version but in Afghanistan we drove our Hilux and Prados as hard as you can drive them over some of the worst/rugged terrain in the world. They held up pretty damn well!

We were always dreaming of ways to bring a few back to the states
jumpmaster 175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 02:14 AM   #105
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I have a 2012 Nissan Xterra. Nissan killed production back in 2015.

I've done all sorts of additional off-road aftermarket add-ons to make this thing more capable and it's been a mountain goat. But no snorkel (yet!)

And yep my gas mileage is pretty horrible at about 15-16 MPG.

Wayyyy cheaper than a Land Cruiser.
Many several thousands of dollars cheaper.
Attached Images
File Type: png small2250.PNG (180.7 KB, 60 views)
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 03:22 AM   #106
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJG View Post

I've done all sorts of additional off-road aftermarket add-ons to make this thing more capable and it's been a mountain goat. But no snorkel (yet!)

<<<< I couldn't agree more.
Big fan of the Xterra. I've had 2 second gens. Very capable with just a tire upgrade. Don't hold their value like a Toyota though. That's a good thing for the second buyer.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 06:54 AM   #107
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpmaster 175 View Post
Dependability is awesome

Can't speak for the US version but in Afghanistan we drove our Hilux and Prados as hard as you can drive them over some of the worst/rugged terrain in the world. They held up pretty damn well!

We were always dreaming of ways to bring a few back to the states

Well you can! Just head find a Lexus GX and you’ll have the most tarted up Prado on earth

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 08:50 AM   #108
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Full size trucks and SUVs are the only area of the US Car Market that the Asian guys could not dominate...or even come close
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 11:03 AM   #109
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJG View Post

Those are awesome, I love their unique look as well. Another great vehicle to be discontinued, then Nissan made the next best thing, the legendary Pathfinder, a minivan. Was one of my favorite SUVs growing up. It's really humorous to see how out of touch these companies are with their consumer demands.
It's not all emissions and regulations either, Land Rover is an exclusively all SUV company and even with their questionable reliability in a few products are amazingly successful.
Porsche made an SUV and they went to another level as a car brand, and now you have Maserati, Jaguar, Bentley, Rolls Royce and shockingly even Lamborghini that make SUVs....it is really thee best selling and most useful vehicle platform in history. Heck Ford is finally going all trucks except for the one sole Mustang.

If you're an automaker and don't have an SUV to offer, you're lost in the sauce. Hopefully the link above is a positive sign that the LC will return in the future, I'm sure a V8 option isn't coming to the US, forget about diesel, so that leaves turbos and hybrids.