The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 5 January 2021, 10:43 AM   #1
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
What's the chance Rolex, is all Smoke and Mirrors?

As in...... "something intended to disguise or draw attention away from an often embarrassing or unpleasant issue —usually hyphenated when used attributively."

And the reality or unpleasant truth is, they're actually scrambling behind the scenes to get any reference to the market........

This might be a fun thread!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 11:27 AM   #2
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Yup. We are all living in a simulation. The lizard people have accomplished creating their facade.
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 12:35 PM   #3
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I think the shortage is definitely smoke and mirrors. Greys really messed up the supply chain.
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 12:42 PM   #4
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
I think the shortage is definitely smoke and mirrors. Greys really messed up the supply chain.
How could supply be smoking mirrors? There was a massive demand due to an incredibly awesome economy. Then a massive decline in production due to Covid. The perfect storm. These facts are right in front of us, not an allusion.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 12:51 PM   #5
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Rolex has always been smoke and mirrors. It's part of the attraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 01:14 PM   #6
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II-16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
As in...... "something intended to disguise or draw attention away from an often embarrassing or unpleasant issue —usually hyphenated when used attributively."

And the reality or unpleasant truth is, they're actually scrambling behind the scenes to get any reference to the market........

LOL, at first I thought you meant that the Rolex wearer was trying to draw attention away from a perceived embarrassment...

cj3209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 01:15 PM   #7
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post

Like the Tesla Ponzi scheme. Er no.
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 01:21 PM   #8
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
There was a quote here a couple weeks ago that was allegedly off the record from someone in the Rolex hierarchy. “We can make 800,000+ watches a year, unfortunately we have 23 million customers who want them.”
I believe there’s just way more demand than supply.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 01:22 PM   #9
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
There was a quote here a couple weeks ago that was allegedly off the record from someone in the Rolex hierarchy. “We can make 800,000+ watches a year, unfortunately we have 23 million customers who want them.”
I believe there’s just way more demand than supply.
I think you can probably double that 23m number.
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 01:23 PM   #10
Eyenigma
"TRF" Member

Rolex will continue to be the bellwether watch, until it isn't. Disruption is possible (e.g. Richard Mille) but not probable. I think watch brands are too focused on the watches, and not the brand positioning.

Richard Mille made an amazing timepiece collection *obviously. But it's who he got the pieces on that made the brand what it is. RM was not the first brand to do the tonneau shape. But it's perhaps (now) the most well known.
Eyenigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 01:23 PM   #11
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Rolex has been making some of the finest, most reliable, durable and desirable watches in the world for 50 years. Right now there are global economic problems, a manufacturing disruption, a supply issue and a distribution problem that seems to be one they can’t quite manage.
But in no way is Rolex just smoke and mirrors.
Old 5 January 2021, 01:34 PM   #12
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj3209 View Post
LOL, at first I thought you meant that the Rolex wearer was trying to draw attention away from a perceived embarrassment...
That’s exactly what it is for me. I need to wear a Rolex to distract people from noticing my many embarrassing deficiencies.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 01:52 PM   #13
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
The only thing I don't understand, well, I don't understand a LOT of things, but let's stick to Rolex watches. I believe the quote about making 800,000 watches a year and having 20 million customers or whatever, but.. a few years ago you could walk in to any AD and buy a sport model (with the exception of the Daytona). Using that as an example, it would seem that a few years ago Rolex produced 800,000 watches and had somewhere in the neighborhood of 800,000 customers. I know that is very rough but you get what I am saying. So, is the TRUTH that in just a few years, Rolex increased the demand for their product 20 FOLD!?!?!?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 02:53 PM   #14
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

People like what they think they can’t have. If anyone could walk in and buy a Daytona starting today, in a number of years the Daytona would be the new airking. Rolex is hot at the right time and their relatively limited capacity is a huge benefit to the perceived rarity of their product. I think they have a capacity problem due to their demand, and now they have a serious capacity problem due to Covid. Huge win for the brand, not good for the average joe with no AD relationship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 03:04 PM   #15
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Plausible points, but the average joe doesn’t have $12,000 to spend on a watch, much less a relationship with an authorized dealer.
Old 5 January 2021, 03:15 PM   #16
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
People like what they think they can’t have. If anyone could walk in and buy a Daytona starting today, in a number of years the Daytona would be the new airking. Rolex is hot at the right time and their relatively limited capacity is a huge benefit to the perceived rarity of their product. I think they have a capacity problem due to their demand, and now they have a serious capacity problem due to Covid. Huge win for the brand, not good for the average joe with no AD relationship.

Good luck even finding an air-king these days. Heck my AD can’t even keep two tone or PM models in stock. Everything goes before it even hits the display case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 January 2021, 03:29 PM   #17
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
The thing with Rolex is at the end of the day, it is a very good watch. Rugged, reliable, accurate and so on. This combined with a worldwide service network and relatively simple movement that many watchmakers can do a routine service on. They retain their value as well. It's the thinking persons luxury watch. It lives at the intersection of attainability, value, liquidity and prestige.

Rolex actually delivers on what they promise which is rare these days.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 03:33 PM   #18
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
The only thing I don't understand, well, I don't understand a LOT of things, but let's stick to Rolex watches. I believe the quote about making 800,000 watches a year and having 20 million customers or whatever, but.. a few years ago you could walk in to any AD and buy a sport model (with the exception of the Daytona). Using that as an example, it would seem that a few years ago Rolex produced 800,000 watches and had somewhere in the neighborhood of 800,000 customers. I know that is very rough but you get what I am saying. So, is the TRUTH that in just a few years, Rolex increased the demand for their product 20 FOLD!?!?!?
Someone answer me!!!!!!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 03:42 PM   #19
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

That's why at times i don't wear a Rolex. They expect a Rolex, sure, of course they do, so not wearing one is utterly shocking. Distracting for sure, because then they want to know what is it on my wrist.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 04:12 PM   #20
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Good luck even finding an air-king these days. Heck my AD can’t even keep two tone or PM models in stock. Everything goes before it even hits the display case.

LOL true story. My AD just got a beautiful new store with a huge new Rolex section, it has 4 watches in it last i saw.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 04:25 PM   #21
maximus1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Someone answer me!!!!!!
I also have a hard time believing that demand has increased 20 times. It seems like the true demand might be 1 1/2 to 2 times
maximus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 04:49 PM   #22
Jeronimo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on the day
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
That’s exactly what it is for me. I need to wear a Rolex to distract people from noticing my many embarrassing deficiencies.

I’m with Dave...!

Jeronimo
Jeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 05:02 PM   #23
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Someone answer me!!!!!!
Your maths and summary are spot on assuming the origin of the figure behind the demand is indeed factual.
But I would say the number of potential customers for certain references may be in the order of 23 per unit with the number tapering off to a 1:1 ratio for the genuine outlier references.
How it got that way for the hottest references is another story.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 05:08 PM   #24
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So, is the TRUTH that in just a few years, Rolex increased the demand for their product 20 FOLD!?!?!?
Look at M1 money supply for your answer. Cash is now trash, so buy something FAST!

Questions?

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 05:18 PM   #25
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
ADs don't have watches, but grey market sure do have them in plenty.

As others in this forum has repeated several times, there is no supply problem. Greys and flippers have scalped them, and the watches are all selling for premiums in the secondary market.

Seems most people want the watch, not to wear and enjoy, but to sell to dealers and make a quick buck.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 05:57 PM   #26
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Look at M1 money supply for your answer. Cash is now trash, so buy something FAST!

Questions?
Steven,please explain more ..
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 06:08 PM   #27
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
The demand has got out of control now because people who aren't into watches in any way have heard that on certain models they can double their money!
Some have no desire to even wear the watch!
They just see pound signs and as long as this is the case the problem will grow!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 06:13 PM   #28
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Someone answer me!!!!!!
Rolex sure is popular nowadays. Increased demand 20 fold ?
I don’t believe that, the huge numbers of every possible Rolex for sale outside AD’s proofs otherwise.
Old 5 January 2021, 08:03 PM   #29
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooey View Post

The demand has got out of control now because people who aren't into watches in any way have heard that on certain models they can double their money!
Some have no desire to even wear the watch!
They just see pound signs and as long as this is the case the problem will grow!
What else doubles your money in an instant ?
$10,000 is a lot of money for many many people .

Its a circus at the moment .
Watch 2021 with lower production figures with only 50% staff operating under covid rules .

I have said it before,countless times .To get the balance right ,increase MRSP ...and one day ,as if by magic,we are back at a balance where your Rolex are to be enjoyed,keeps its value extemely well and with time will increase in worth .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 08:11 PM   #30
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Quote:
China, India, to name only 2...
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote