The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 2 December 2022, 03:32 PM   #31
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
I have a wholesale/and Export car business. Former new car store owner. Been doing it since 1999
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 10:33 PM   #32
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I am not a dealer or wholesaler, but I am a frequent buyer and seller of cars. It's like a hobby, if a hobby can cost you thousands of dollars a month. LOL

I've sold two cars to Carvana... both times I got substantially more than average wholesale for them, but I would never buy a car from them. I think I posted about my last experience here, somewhere.

I'm currently in the market for a used BMW M3, and it's horrible out there. Prices are still elevated, private sellers are sure that their car is worth 120% of retail and dealers aren't willing to budge.

I have sometimes thought about getting into the business myself, but I have heard (and can see here in page 1) that the hours are tough and of course, I hate people.

LOL. Present company excluded, natch.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 05:25 AM   #33
acrds1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
I have a wholesale/and Export car business. Former new car store owner. Been doing it since 1999
I have hopes of one day owning a new car store. Any advice you can provide for someone looking to get into the new car side?
acrds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 05:25 AM   #34
acrds1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I am not a dealer or wholesaler, but I am a frequent buyer and seller of cars. It's like a hobby, if a hobby can cost you thousands of dollars a month. LOL

I've sold two cars to Carvana... both times I got substantially more than average wholesale for them, but I would never buy a car from them. I think I posted about my last experience here, somewhere.

I'm currently in the market for a used BMW M3, and it's horrible out there. Prices are still elevated, private sellers are sure that their car is worth 120% of retail and dealers aren't willing to budge.

I have sometimes thought about getting into the business myself, but I have heard (and can see here in page 1) that the hours are tough and of course, I hate people.

LOL. Present company excluded, natch.
G80 M3? Have you looked into just ordering a new one?
Old 3 December 2022, 05:52 PM   #35
Zartan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrds1 View Post
Here's a business that will always exist! I've been intrigued by this model but never had the nuts to go for it. Do you have GPS trackers in all your vehicles? How do you deal with repossession? Do you only do BHPH for all your cars or just an option for bad credit customers?
Compliance is probably the hardest part of the business; we do tons of paperwork. Next is money, you got to have another source of income while building your book. It took a long time to work out the problems and figure out the best model for our business environment. It’s the best business I know of for a couple of liberal arts majors:)

To your questions: First thing we do when the vehicle gets in from auction is install a gps. 65$ with three years airtime.
If you don’t pay it’s getting taken away. It’s that simple. Repos are also a great source of inventory.
19 of 20 deals are in-house financed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6D8F503E-C556-408A-BF53-91A86FEEDDBF.jpeg (137.9 KB, 126 views)
Zartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 11:24 PM   #36
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrds1 View Post
G80 M3? Have you looked into just ordering a new one?
No, F80. I had a G82, great car, it's just too money to risk: I drive my cars on the track, no insurance. And from what I've read, it's still difficult to get an allocation for a new one.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2022, 01:42 AM   #37
acrds1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
No, F80. I had a G82, great car, it's just too money to risk: I drive my cars on the track, no insurance. And from what I've read, it's still difficult to get an allocation for a new one.

I like the F80 better also, I'm not a big fan of the ZF transmissions in the new ones. The F80 will age really well just like the E90s did...
Old 4 December 2022, 02:42 AM   #38
acrds1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zartan View Post
Compliance is probably the hardest part of the business; we do tons of paperwork. Next is money, you got to have another source of income while building your book. It took a long time to work out the problems and figure out the best model for our business environment. It’s the best business I know of for a couple of liberal arts majors:)

To your questions: First thing we do when the vehicle gets in from auction is install a gps. 65$ with three years airtime.
If you don’t pay it’s getting taken away. It’s that simple. Repos are also a great source of inventory.
19 of 20 deals are in-house financed.

I commend you and your business I could imagine getting up and running was a nightmare.

What vehicles do you tend to stock? I assuming camrys/accords correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 4 December 2022, 07:33 AM   #39
Zartan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy
What vehicles do you tend to stock?
Mostly American, easier to work on, parts availability…
We get some Asian too…avoid European like the plague
Everything is online @
https://finnsdiscountauto.com/
Zartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 04:21 PM   #40
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
F&I Manager for a new vehicle dealer here. Going on 8 years in the business (if these Fed rate hikes don’t kill me first lol).
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 08:48 PM   #41
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Been a few weeks since last update, how's the accelerating repo market doing?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote