The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 17 February 2011, 10:29 PM   #1
100thmonkey
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Are Beautiful
Rolex Seadweller Deepsea Review

THE BOX

Slightly bigger than the standard

but fairly standard in terms of bit & bobs including warranty card, booklet, hangtags, & guarantee

THE CASE

Its big! But its not Big! Yes it is bigger than you are used to and because you compare it to the previous it is bigger but it wears no bigger than most Panerai standard cases. The lugs are bigger again than the old classic SD obviously and measure 21mm so a 22mm NATO would be the best option rather than a 20mm with a gap. A titanium caseback held in pace with a Stainless Steel ring and including the crystal it measures 17mm thick.

I find that the case back is flatter than the Seadweller and as a result it sits better on the wrist. A big fat Rolex Crown sits proportionally well between the protectors. One thing that is nice is that the titanium rear has a brushed finish and when leaving the watch on the side and the bracelet rubbing on the rear of the watch it has picked up no scratches, all my other Rolex have got scratches on the rear inside a week which progressively get worse. I used to leave the sticker on to try and prevent this but now there is no need. Finally the case is finished with a Stainless Steel helium escape valve rather than titanium as found on the Seadweller.

THE DIAL AND CRYSTAL.

Perfection personified, smooth matte just like the 1680 & 1665 Seadwellers of the past with a slight grain to it which stops light reflecting on off it which I dislike on the glossy dials. Then theres that dreamy blue lume that glows all night long.

Now when I looked at the original pictures and all the pictures I have taken it appears that the ‘Original Gas Escape Valve’ & ‘Ring Lock System’ are written in letters 10ft high and flashing. The reality is that when you own and wear the watch you genuinely do not notice the wording unless you look for it. But when you do look you see a true tool watch, that domed crystal, a throw back to the 1962 original Seadwellers is 5.5mm thick and looks like it could take a sledgehammer but doesn’t distort the dial or reading of it, the curvature is subtle but amazing.

THE BEZEL

Ive had a ceramic dial for 3 years so I am used to the new style and have been very happy with it, they are bombproof and near impossible to damage, it is neither too glossy or too matte but its when you turn it that you truly appreciate it.

The GMTIIC is nice but it has 24 thick clicks whereas the Deepsea has 120 precision clicks and it is so solid that it literally buzzes as you turn it, no tinny sound just silk smooth precision rotation. Then it has iced its cake with a well placed ‘pip’ at 12 O’Clock.

THE BRACELET

Starting from 21mm between the lugs and tapering to 17mm at the clasp the bracelet is solid and brushed, it makes the previous bracelets feel very tinny and cheap but it is the clasp and glidelock that are a work of art, having that reassuring snap and lock coupled with the ability to change the bracelet in mm increments in seconds is just brilliant. The watch originally had a divers clasp but I made the decision that I wouldn’t require it and if I did wear it over a wetsuit I could get enough from the glidelock. Without the divers clasp I found it was a nicer more appropriate fit for my wrist. I have added an article in the mods & wreckers section on removal.

Rolex need this clasp on every model from here on in as it just blows away every other previous version in terms of comfort and functionality coupled with quality and build.

SUMMING UP.

5.5mm thick domed crystal.
Matte maxi dial and bigger hands.
Blue lume.
43mm case.
Glidelock bracelet.
3900m – 12800ft………How Deep!!!!

50 years we have waited for engineering, materials, and a market ready to accept this but the wait is over and its been worth it. Rolex have maintained many of the historic characteristics of the early Seadwellers, the domed crystal, Matte Dial, etc and delivered a watch which is undeniably larger than what has gone before, but is it too large? Owning one will tell a different story, it’s perfectly wearable. Infact the Deepsea has done really well with me as like many I was convinced it was too big by the million threads saying it was but the reality is that 99% of those comments are from either non owners or those that have tried one on in an AD’s and made a snap judgement that its too big!! If you have a sub 6.75" Wrist then perhaps this isnt the best choice but dont be brainwashed by the 'too big' line. I know I nearly did and I wouldn't have realized just how good it could be.

Its early days but Id be very surprised if you see this one up for sale!
100thmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 11:59 PM   #2
Steve Podraza
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko darth tuna
I WANT ONE!! I am either getting the Deep or the new Sub C. I did own the GMT II C TT but sold it for my wifes diamond ring! :) by summer I will have one! Thank you for the great write up, I think I will be getting this big Dog!
Thanks and enjoy! Life is short! Wear it every where!!
Steve Podraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2011, 12:36 AM   #3
jeremyam

Watch: 16610 V
well done, i really appreciate the effort you put in with the pictures and highlighting the important aspects. i think it's fair to state that the DSSD is largest rolex, thickness and diameter, this is really fact, i believe that it wears much smaller...

great review!
jeremyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2011, 05:44 PM   #4
100thmonkey
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Are Beautiful
Pleasure
100thmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2011, 11:35 PM   #5
grahame

Watch: DSSD
Nice one!

Fantastic. I just ordered mine from DavidSW on this forum. Unfortunately I will have to wait for about 8 weeks since I also special ordered a Lady Datejust with the "flower power" dial for my wife.

Enjoy. Fantastic pics.

Grahame.
grahame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2011, 05:10 AM   #6
aquanaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
I love my deepsea! Lol! Thanks for the great pictures, they are fantastic!
aquanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2011, 05:22 AM   #7
psv
"TRF" Member

Great review, kudos for sharing.

I've owned the Deepsea. It is the best engineered sport watch Rolex has ever produced. At the same time, the added too much steroids IMO and it is a bit of a missed opportunity by aiming for extreme instead of perfection.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2011, 10:06 AM   #8
grahame

Watch: DSSD
So what is perfection?

Hi Patrick,

Interesting point. I think we all agree this was a great review of a great watch and I am really excited about the prospect of owning a Deepsea.

As an ex-owner of a DSSD you are in a good position to tell. How would you define perfection for a Rolex sports watch? I imagine many would argue that the Sub-C is already there. Just curious.

Grahame.
grahame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2011, 11:56 AM   #9
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

I think the Deepsea is superior to any Rolex sports model out there.... My 2c.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2011, 03:35 PM   #10
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice photos!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2011, 02:58 AM   #11
foudelet
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller/JLC GMT

nice review

foudelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2011, 05:52 AM   #12
dinan545bmw

SUMMING UP.[/b]

5.5mm thick domed crystal.
Matte maxi dial and bigger hands.
Blue lume.
43mm case.
Glidelock bracelet.
3900m – 12800ft………How Deep!!!!

50 years we have waited for engineering, materials, and a market ready to accept this but the wait is over and its been worth it. Its early days but Id be very surprised if you see this one up for sale![/QUOTE]

Oh yes!! Simply couldn't agree more here! Very nice review also. I continue to honor and sing praise daily to my own monster timepiece. fyi, the DSSD is actually certified pressure proof down to 16,000 ft (not that anyone is counting or could really use it in reality)), when you account for the extra 25% margin ISO international safety standards requires, as tested by COMEX and also confirmed by WatchTime Magazine.

Anyway, congrats and enjoy! The DSSD is truly an iconic, legendary and uber engineered timepiece worthy of its place amongst the Rolex lineup of superlative timepieces. For me, I just love her rugged and very sporty good looks! Sure you do likewise.

BEST REGARDS
dinan545bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2011, 10:12 AM   #13
leviathanml
"TRF" Member

It's also a watch Rolex may not ever build again. The 44mm fad is passing quickly, and collectors are moving more toward thinner watches. It'll likely be a collector's piece later down the road
leviathanml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2011, 12:26 PM   #14
SDDS17
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP2-42, DJ2, SMPO
I agree with the OP....100%!!! I am coming up on a year of owning this beast in a few weeks. The watch has only been off my wrist for a day or two the entire time. It gets better and better trust me!! I have converted a few friends that were IWC (Pilot Top-Gun), Breitling (Bentley GMT Midnight), and Omega (Seamaster Proplof) followers. Once they tried this watch on, and handled it at the same time as their watches, they knew they were in the presence of GREATNESS!! The watch just has a feel to it that many others just do not have, it is litterally built like a tank, but in only the best way it could be. To quote myself from almost a year a go, and still stand by this "There may be more expensive, more intricate, and more prestigeous watches, but when the sum of all its parts are taken in while on the wrist, it is hard to find a nicer watch for the money right now!!!" So, welcome to the club and be prepared for your other watches to collect a lot of dust!!!

Deep Sea....Yeah, its a love or hate relationship it seems, I guess you know my feelings!
Enjoy...
SDDS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2011, 09:10 AM   #15
Ultrawatches

Watch: Datejust II S/S
Appreciate the information and pictures. This watch is big and looks so good. But you need to be a big person to wear such a watch and love the fact that you can go as far as possible deep in the water.
Ultrawatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 11:22 AM   #16
kingleonidas
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Awesome Review !!!
kingleonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2011, 02:37 AM   #17
Jonathan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: #296
Interesting, cheers for the review squire.
Old 2 April 2011, 05:04 AM   #18
favonian

Great review! Cool watch, been close buying it many times but in the last second always (unfortunately) come to my senses
favonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2011, 12:20 PM   #19
davidjewels
"TRF" Member

Thank you for such a great review with some very detailed pictures. You pretty much covered the watch from every angle. I've already tried one on at my AD and fell in love with it instantly. I'll own one by next month
davidjewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2011, 01:30 PM   #20
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

I'm still loving my Deepsea although it is back in rotation with my other watches. But everytime I put it on I still get amazed by what a beaut and brute my Deepsea is!
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2011, 01:40 PM   #21
Trailblazer
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
Been with mine for about 6months now and I am loving every moment of it, on or off my wrist. speaking of that, its on me as I'm typing this...
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2011, 10:11 PM   #22
2008gt2
"TRF" Member

Great pics...currently looking for a Deepsea myself.
2008gt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2011, 02:11 PM   #23
Rollingsculptor

Watch: Breitling Navi....
Great review - this is my top choice for my first Rolex.

Any used ones out there let me know.....
Rollingsculptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2011, 09:28 AM   #24
slinger
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTii C
Great info, thanks for sharing this!
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2011, 09:35 AM   #25
rfknauss
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub, LV Sub
Very nice review!

"Few things in life give man as great a pleasure as wearing a Rolex!"

TRF's "AFTER DARK" Bar & NightClub Patron
rfknauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2011, 09:56 AM   #26
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Great review, thanks for sharing.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2011, 04:57 AM   #27
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
Thanks for sharing
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 04:28 AM   #28
CFUSION

First post. High all.

I just picked up a DeepSea. I had a hard time deciding between it and the SubC. I love mine. Its chunky but I'm a big dude so I can take it. I got mine because its the ultimate watch. I have to have the top of the line maxed out everything so this watch fit the bill. It has a good feel to it too like you know its on and you feel like its worth every penny. I love everything about this watch. I don't mind the lettering or the size. The band is by far the best ever, even better than the subc as the way the glide lock works is easier. Don't know why its different than the subc though.

Been wearing it since I got it. My only bad feeling about it was that all my life I wanted a standard submariner and now that I can afford one I got the deepsea instead so I said what the heck and went back to my AD and picked up the SubC as well. LOL. Love them both.
CFUSION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 05:59 AM   #29
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Very nice and thorough.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2011, 04:24 PM   #30
CPD
Banned

Watch: DSSD & PANERAI 312
I just picked up the DEEPSEA today! It was between this or a Panerai 312. Sorry, but I'm not spending $7400 for leather straps. Well, maybe the next time around I'll search for a second hand Pam 312.
CPD is offline   Reply With Quote