The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 December 2017, 01:05 AM   #1
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
New Old Stock Issues?

Hi All,

I am looking into purchasing a new old stock Sub with A serial (1999), and was wondering if there are issues with a watch which has literally never been used or serviced for this long.

I was planning to take the watch into RSC for service immediately, but wasn't sure if there are potential risks with other parts and which will in turn drive up my costs. Let me know your thoughts and/or experiences with something like this. Thanks in advance!!
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 01:10 AM   #2
Bigblu10
Banned

No. Movement parts should be fine. I believe the oils were not synthetic back that far, so if you wish to service the movement will be oiled with the most modern lubes, and all seals and gaskets will be replaced so you will have no worries about watertightness. Any pics?
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 01:12 AM   #3
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
No. Movement parts should be fine. I believe the oils were not synthetic back that far, so if you wish to service the movement will be oiled with the most modern lubes, and all seals and gaskets will be replaced so you will have no worries about watertightness. Any pics?
Thanks for the fast response! Is it possible the watch will work just fine now or is a service recommended/required? Will upload pics as soon as I figure out how!
Old 18 December 2017, 01:20 AM   #4
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by importstunna View Post
Thanks for the fast response! Is it possible the watch will work just fine now or is a service recommended/required? Will upload pics as soon as I figure out how!
Sure! Wind it up 40 full turns, set the date and time and monitor daily timekeeping accuracy to a site like time.gov. I would not swim with the watch with seals that old, unless you have the watch pressure tested.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 05:32 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Sure. It's very likely that it will work just fine and you won't notice any particular issue. Watch parts do not "go bad" like a loaf of bread.. as long as there has not been moisture introduced to rust bare metal, the only issue might be that some oil has migrated from optimum placement and these areas will run dry.

The bigger concern is that the seals are likely at the end of their elasticity or have taken a "set", no longer providing a tight seal.
Old 18 December 2017, 05:43 AM   #6
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi All,

I am looking into purchasing a new old stock Sub with A serial (1999)
Curious about a Sub that's almost 20 years old and still "new old stock".

Do you mean new old stock condition, or is it really new old stock?

Quite a find if it's genuine NOS.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 05:48 AM   #7
MonBK
Banned

What AD would have a Sub in stock for 18 years?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 05:50 AM   #8
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I have an A series in unworn condition. I can’t really say whether or not there’s something negative going on inside, but when I handle the watch the second hand starts right up no problem.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 05:51 AM   #9
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Sorry Duplicate Post
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 07:10 AM   #10
Shaky
"TRF" Member

Got to be a safe queen. Surely an AD wouldn’t have one after all this time.

Interesting to see some pics, I bet it cranks straight up and runs well, but the seals would be a concern. Definitely no swimming in it.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 07:45 AM   #11
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
Got to be a safe queen. Surely an AD wouldn’t have one after all this time.

Interesting to see some pics, I bet it cranks straight up and runs well, but the seals would be a concern. Definitely no swimming in it.

I'm certain that you're right. I think "NOS" is a term used too often to imply exactly what you've said. A previously owned watch that has spent most, if not all, of its life as a safe queen - rarely seeing any wrist time.

"Unworn condition" is a more accurate term. There's always the possibility of a true NOS found in the backroom vault of some now defunct AD, but that's more the stuff of fantasy than fact.

BNIB, LNIB, NOS. They're not synonymous, though often used interchangeably.

Old 18 December 2017, 07:51 AM   #12
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
with breitling this happens some times. and i could imagine some master pieces waiting for the right owner. true nos should have a warranty and often the watch will fall outside of cosc within warranty period so if you get it pressure tested then wear it until it is out of cosc send it in for service under warranty. or just get it serviced.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 08:35 AM   #13
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
with breitling this happens some times. and i could imagine some master pieces waiting for the right owner. true nos should have a warranty and often the watch will fall outside of cosc within warranty period so if you get it pressure tested then wear it until it is out of cosc send it in for service under warranty. or just get it serviced.
I remember this story from a while back, I'm sure there have been others as well.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abl...ay-125000/amp/

I've encountered a few NOS Omegas from former ADs that had them stored away in the back, but I can't remember one that was 18 years old.

Old 18 December 2017, 11:24 AM   #14
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the responses, very helpful. Yes, it was a safe queen which it was never worn or sized. Sorry if the NOS was confusing. I am now trying to finalize the deal, hoping it works out. Fingers crossed :)