The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 December 2017, 07:44 PM   #1
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Sonos advice

Hi all,

I currently have a range of Pure Jongo wireless speakers throughout the house (5 in total)

They work through Bluetooth but have a cascade feature where they all come on together. It’s a bit clunky as you get some dropouts etc.

I’m considering a move to Sonos and wondered if anyone has experiences of the Play 1 vs new 1 models.

How is sound in larger rooms? Does it work well with Spotify? Also I’m considering the whole Alexa thing, but I read that the New built in Alexa models don’t work too well, and you’re better with the older model Play 1 with an amazon dot.

Any info welcomed :)
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 08:00 PM   #2
michaelp7
"TRF" Member

I haven’t used the new version, but I am very happy with my Sonos collection and using Alexia via the echo or dot. Play 1 is fine for small rooms but play 3/5 is worth the extra IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
michaelp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 08:39 PM   #3
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I use Bose SoundTouch in my condo out here (five in total) and they all connect via wi-fi. One of them is a sound bar for my television but links in with the rest if I want (don't need to so don't bother). The open up a whole new world of listening with the sheer volume of internet-only radio stations, as well as Apple Music, Deezer and/or Spotify. If you run Mac at home, they can also access your iTunes library if you're computer is on or if you keep your music on a NAS drive thingy.

The sound quality is awesome, whatever the volume and I've never had a drop-out yet.

My GBF came to stay for a few days and he runs Sonos at home; he was very impressed with my set up.

I'm a little biased because we have Bose home cinema back in the UK and my earphones, headphones and computer speakers are all Bose, too.

Same with watch buying though, try and go for a demo of both brands and see which favours your ears best.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 09:15 PM   #4
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I use Bose throughout my condo and couldn’t be happier. I have an internet radio receiver in the bedroom and my smart TV connects to my Bose Lifestyle in the living room. I am absolutely addicted to internet radio, the station choice is seemingly endless; (kind of like reaching the end of the internet). You can fine tune your music choices to the Nth degree ( I have a very specific taste in New-Age music and have no problems with several stations I enjoy listening to). My experience with Sonos, granted this was a few years ago, was not very good. I had continious drop outs, the interface was confusing, I finally gave up and installed the Bose. There is an app you can use but the on screen menus are simple enough for me. Best of luck.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 09:25 PM   #5
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I use Sonos, I am delighted with it, for larger rooms I would recommend a Play 3 or Play 5, one does not need the new Play one to have the system work with Alexa. I have a play 5 in the living room, a play 3 in the kitchen and 2 play 1's playing in stereo in the bedroom.

Spotify is seamless and can be worked from the Sonos or the Spotify app. (You can use either app to control the music coming through your system)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMvTF_pFw5w

Good info here.

https://en.community.sonos.com/annou...-sonos-6791301

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 09:40 PM   #6
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
We moved into a house last year that already had speakers set up(outside, family room, dining room, and sitting room. We had 3 sonos amps installed. One for patio. One for family room. And one for the two front rooms. They all work from phones/iPads. Can be played all in the same music (tv sound) or all differently. We use it all the time. Simple to control etc etc.
Hides where the other electronics are
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/con...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 18 December 2017, 01:50 AM   #7
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Sonos is a magnificent system, I’ve been using it for years and have it throughout the house.

I have a Play 1, 3 and 5 in study/bedrooms.

Wouldn’t recommend a Play 1 for a larger room. For my larger rooms I installed ceiling speakers and use the Sonos amp to power them. All controlled from iPhone/iPad it’s a completely hidden wireless system.

IMO the Play 5 is much better the the Bose sound dock.

I don’t use Alexa but I’ve seen it at my friends house and I must admit I was less than impressed. A bit gimmicky, easily fooled and not as robust as iPhone.

The beauty of Sonos is the ability to play a different song in every room or all rooms playing the same seamlessly. I’m not 100% sure Spotify lets you play different songs in different rooms at the same time. I’m not a user so you’d better double check.

There are many other streaming options from Apple, Amazon and my personal favourite Napster.
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:21 AM   #8
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Sonos is a magnificent system, I’ve been using it for years and have it throughout the house.

I have a Play 1, 3 and 5 in study/bedrooms.

Wouldn’t recommend a Play 1 for a larger room. For my larger rooms I installed ceiling speakers and use the Sonos amp to power them. All controlled from iPhone/iPad it’s a completely hidden wireless system.

IMO the Play 5 is much better the the Bose sound dock.

I don’t use Alexa but I’ve seen it at my friends house and I must admit I was less than impressed. A bit gimmicky, easily fooled and not as robust as iPhone.

The beauty of Sonos is the ability to play a different song in every room or all rooms playing the same seamlessly. I’m not 100% sure Spotify lets you play different songs in different rooms at the same time. I’m not a user so you’d better double check.

There are many other streaming options from Apple, Amazon and my personal favourite Napster.
Yes, one can use Spotify to play different songs in different rooms. I agree with all you say, tis a fabulous system.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:46 AM   #9
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Yes, one can use Spotify to play different songs in different rooms.
Cheers Dave
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 04:55 AM   #10
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Guys really helpful, many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 05:37 AM   #11
wisguy
"TRF" Member

I have Sonos, many friends have other systems (Bose, Harman Kardon, Denon, etc)

Based on what I've seen, Sonos is better than most.

I have speakers wired in troughout my place and operate them all via Sonos amps, works great.
Old 18 December 2017, 01:16 PM   #12
Flstfirider
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
I have been running a Denon Heos system for the past 2.5 years. My complaint is it’s lack of compatibility with Apple Music. We are an Apple household, and recently have been using Airplay and Apple Music through my Marantz receiver more than the Heos. (Wife can actually get the system to work with AirPlay)
Flstfirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 01:49 PM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Love my Sonos. I have a playbar, sub and two Sonos 1s running 5.1 in my living room and a play 1s in kitchen and master bath. I listen to way more music now and love how I can quickly turn on whatever I was listening to in the car when I walk in. Zero regrets.
Old 20 December 2017, 10:38 AM   #14
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

I have 3 Sonos Connect:Amps, a Play:5, Play:3, two Play:1, a Play Bar, and Sonos Sub. Have to say the convenience factor definitely outweighs any shortcomings in actual sound output. As the poster above stated, I also listen to much more music now. Love mine.
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote