The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 16 December 2017, 10:40 PM   #1
pam66
"TRF" Member

5712R vs 5980AR

i am wondering whether it is a good decision to let the 5712R go for the 5980AR...there would be some cash involved on my side but the deal seems reasonable. i know, TT and all that....but the dial of the 5980AR is so amazing.....
on the other hand i am wondering whether both watches do not overlap with my 5711R too much.....
the other pieces in my collection are: rolex batman, 5227R, 5119J (i share both calatravas with my wife), rolex daydate YG incoming.....
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 11:24 PM   #2
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Moving the 5712R for the 5980/1AR does give you a chrono complication instead of a moon phase - good trade IMO - and an unbelievable blue dial, another win. The TT definitely sets it apart from all the rest of your watches. I much prefer the 5711/1R to the 5712R so for me, I'd get the 5980/1AR. It's more out there as Pateks go, but that's part of the fun of it. As for the $$ of the deal, the 5712R more popular than the 5980/1AR so I'd expect a good deal on the /1AR. Biggest factor of all - can you see yourself wearing the TT regularly and liking it? Expect a $$$ hit if you choose to move it later.
Old 16 December 2017, 11:41 PM   #3
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Moving the 5712R for the 5980/1AR does give you a chrono complication instead of a moon phase - good trade IMO - and an unbelievable blue dial, another win. The TT definitely sets it apart from all the rest of your watches. I much prefer the 5711/1R to the 5712R so for me, I'd get the 5980/1AR. It's more out there as Pateks go, but that's part of the fun of it. As for the $$ of the deal, the 5712R more popular than the 5980/1AR so I'd expect a good deal on the /1AR. Biggest factor of all - can you see yourself wearing the TT regularly and liking it? Expect a $$$ hit if you choose to move it later.
all good points, thanks! interesting though that you retain the 5980AR so much less popular than the 5712R... i can see myself wear the 5980AR regularly, no problem. just that the 5712R may go up in value a lot, once they stop producing it (which may be soon)....
Old 17 December 2017, 01:07 AM   #4
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Nautilus was such a frustrating watch for me , I’ll say that at the end the two best choices on the line are the 5711R and 5712R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 01:08 AM   #5
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Nautilus was such a frustrating watch for me , I’ll say that at the end the two best choices on the line are the 5711R and 5712R.

i'd be really interested to know where your nautilus frustration comes from
Old 17 December 2017, 02:52 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I would do it, as you have the RG locked down, you have a free pass to get a more eclectic but beautiful piece. If I didn't have a YG Subc with similar vibrant blue I'd be tempted.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 06:52 AM   #7
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I would do it, as you have the RG locked down, you have a free pass to get a more eclectic but beautiful piece. If I didn't have a YG Subc with similar vibrant blue I'd be tempted.
well, my last thought was to get the ceramic bluesy TT submariner instead of the 5960AR and keep the 5712R. this would nicely get my blue dial needs covered for a lot less money:::))))
Old 17 December 2017, 08:22 AM   #8
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
i'd be really interested to know where your nautilus frustration comes from

Well there are some issues about it that are common knowledge (facts) and others are personal frustrations. For one it would be hard to argue the cheap clasp that the Nautilus is associated with , that’s something people has learned to live with not necessarily a good thing. Other features that could be argued is the thin bracelet with PCL’s. On a more personal level , the Vintage feeling that you get when you have on your wrist the 5711 that to me is perceived as a cheap feeling but others might perceive it as classy or some kind of comfort. I won’t go over the scratch magnet issue because if you buy these kind of watches you have to accept that from the moment you buy it. I think when the material is gold it helps because you gain weight on the watch and it helps a little bit with scratches. (Just a tad , lol)
If you are a vintage person then all of these won’t matter to you , you are used to it. I love modern, I think the oldest watch I ever bought was a Zenith Daytona, and that watch is not vintage at all but just to have some reference.

5712 will always be a special watch for me no matter what , 5712/1a was my first patek. Love the dial , I later updated to 5712r for the reasons mentioned, gold helps. But not perfect either a lot of people will say Nautilus has to be with a bracelet, which is a fair point. I guess a perfect Nautilus for me would be a 5712/1a with the case size of 5980. 5980 it’s a beautiful watch but personally it drives me crazy that the second hand is for the chrono complication not the time , kind of confusing, again that’s just me. I have no problem with lack of second hand on a watch like the 15202, just to be clear on that.
I haven’t tried the 5711R but that might be the ticket. Neil and Kevin pics just make you drool , lol.
Right now I am in my honeymoon with my 5164R, is the perfect Patek sport watch for “me”.
Please take everything with a grain of salt because what I hate it might be very well what you love.

Note: Special mention to the white dial 5726, looks cool and I am thinking you can probably feel better weight because it’s a ticker watch . (Never seen it on the flesh )

These are personal notes , I might get grilled but that’s what my thinking and feel about it

Cheers

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 08:52 AM   #9
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

The 5712r is one of my alltime favorite pateks...but the AR is VERY unique and probably compliments your collection better, I'd have to admit.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 04:30 PM   #10
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Well there are some issues about it that are common knowledge (facts) and others are personal frustrations. For one it would be hard to argue the cheap clasp that the Nautilus is associated with , that’s something people has learned to live with not necessarily a good thing. Other features that could be argued is the thin bracelet with PCL’s. On a more personal level , the Vintage feeling that you get when you have on your wrist the 5711 that to me is perceived as a cheap feeling but others might perceive it as classy or some kind of comfort. I won’t go over the scratch magnet issue because if you buy these kind of watches you have to accept that from the moment you buy it. I think when the material is gold it helps because you gain weight on the watch and it helps a little bit with scratches. (Just a tad , lol)
If you are a vintage person then all of these won’t matter to you , you are used to it. I love modern, I think the oldest watch I ever bought was a Zenith Daytona, and that watch is not vintage at all but just to have some reference.

5712 will always be a special watch for me no matter what , 5712/1a was my first patek. Love the dial , I later updated to 5712r for the reasons mentioned, gold helps. But not perfect either a lot of people will say Nautilus has to be with a bracelet, which is a fair point. I guess a perfect Nautilus for me would be a 5712/1a with the case size of 5980. 5980 it’s a beautiful watch but personally it drives me crazy that the second hand is for the chrono complication not the time , kind of confusing, again that’s just me. I have no problem with lack of second hand on a watch like the 15202, just to be clear on that.
I haven’t tried the 5711R but that might be the ticket. Neil and Kevin pics just make you drool , lol.
Right now I am in my honeymoon with my 5164R, is the perfect Patek sport watch for “me”.
Please take everything with a grain of salt because what I hate it might be very well what you love.

Note: Special mention to the white dial 5726, looks cool and I am thinking you can probably feel better weight because it’s a ticker watch . (Never seen it on the flesh )

These are personal notes , I might get grilled but that’s what my thinking and feel about it

Cheers

of course no grilling:::::)))) i do like the 5164R a lot as well. stupidly i passed on one a month ago. i shall get back home tonight from almost four weeks of traveling and give the 5712R another try for the evening and tomorrow morning. then it is decision time:::))
Old 18 December 2017, 02:29 AM   #11
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
of course no grilling:::::)))) i do like the 5164R a lot as well. stupidly i passed on one a month ago. i shall get back home tonight from almost four weeks of traveling and give the 5712R another try for the evening and tomorrow morning. then it is decision time:::))
Good luck with your decision! Great "problem" to have.
Old 18 December 2017, 05:13 AM   #12
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
The 5712R does not sit on the wrist correctly.
I tried so hard to keep it, but it’s difficult to wear a watch that won’t sit right.

I thought I was the only one, everyone I know who has owned one had the same dilemma.

The 5980ar is one I wish I never sold.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 05:42 AM   #13
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Naut on Bracelet trumps Naut on strap. Out of the two I’d go for AR. 5712R is nice but IMO there is no way that piece will go up in value so don’t worry about losing out there. Wear them and enjoy them! Best of luck with your decision

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 07:25 AM   #14
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
The 5712R does not sit on the wrist correctly.
I tried so hard to keep it, but it’s difficult to wear a watch that won’t sit right.

I thought I was the only one, everyone I know who has owned one had the same dilemma.

The 5980ar is one I wish I never sold.
true, the 5712R does not sit well on the wrist. the deployant buckle is not well made, at least for my small wrist.
Old 18 December 2017, 09:23 AM   #15
Erod24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
true, the 5712R does not sit well on the wrist. the deployant buckle is not well made, at least for my small wrist.
Why doesn’t the watch sit well?
First time i hear this.
Erod24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 10:10 AM   #16
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod24 View Post
First time i hear this.
I understand what they’re saying. The leather strap doesn’t allow the watch to sit like it would if it were in bracelet. I have one and it’s true. It can be somewhat of a pain depending on the day.
Old 18 December 2017, 11:47 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I think your 5711/1R has the nautilus bases covered. I’d look for something different
Old 18 December 2017, 06:20 PM   #18
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod24 View Post
First time i hear this.
see picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3196.jpg (71.2 KB, 449 views)
Old 19 December 2017, 06:00 AM   #19
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Quote:
see picture.
I believe the clasp is asymmetrical on this model. Have you tried swapping the 6 and the 12 o'clock ends of the strap. Had a similar clasp comfort problem on another (non-Patek) watch and removing the longest clasp "fold" from the 6 to the 12 o'clock side helped a lot.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 06:08 AM   #20
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
I believe the clasp is asymmetrical on this model. Have you tried swapping the 6 and the 12 o'clock ends of the strap. Had a similar clasp comfort problem on another (non-Patek) watch and removing the longest clasp "fold" from the 6 to the 12 o'clock side helped a lot.
that is interesting, will try tomorrow, thanks!!!!! btw, i decided to keep the 5712R, mainly since i fell in love again with the wonderful contrast of the Red gold case and the dark grey dial. to satisfy my blue dial itch i shall get the rolex submariner TT blue dial:::))))
Old 19 December 2017, 10:22 AM   #21
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
Great Advice! I did the same thing for my 3940 and it felt much better.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 11:23 AM   #22
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
see picture.
Couldn't you get a short strap or punch an extra hole to remedy this situation?
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 12:28 PM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
that is interesting, will try tomorrow, thanks!!!!! btw, i decided to keep the 5712R, mainly since i fell in love again with the wonderful contrast of the Red gold case and the dark grey dial. to satisfy my blue dial itch i shall get the rolex submariner TT blue dial:::))))
I think this is a good idea, I do like a gold Nautilus on the very nice brown leather strap, I had a 5711 in YG for a short while and it was a great set up. Reversing the straps might help.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 11:44 PM   #24
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Quote:
see picture.
The 5712R/G is a very uncomfortable watch for me. I had to sell it after only a few weeks as I just couldn't wear it, bad loss as I bought for full RRP.

It's worse on the composite strap, but still unusable (for me) on leather strap.

Just be careful with it as it might not suit your wrist too. I tried both straps and a short strap too, didn't help. I think the quite large and stiff links between strap and case were to blame. The store owner wore a 5712R also and I noticed the watch didn't sit well on his wrist either, the 12 o'clock side was raised off his wrist.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 02:50 AM   #25
Ilovewatches
"TRF" Member

Maybe try the 5980r on strap? I have fairly small wrists, but have no issues with the fit.
Ilovewatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2017, 07:37 PM   #26
erics
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712r, XX, 1675
I have a 5712r and initially thought it was very uncomfortable vs say a 5712a which is the most comfy watch i ever put on.

The issue came from the fact that the strap is very rigid when new.

You have to wear it a lot and 'manipulate' the strap to soften it. Also not wear it too loose.

Now i am really enjoying it.
erics is offline   Reply With Quote