The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 6 October 2017, 02:46 AM   #1
Thomasm144
"TRF" Member

1st 24-Hours: 16570 Black Dial (Review/Pics)

So,

Yesterday I went to an AD and traded my Glashutte Sport Evo Chronograph for a pre-owned 16570. It has now been about 24 hours since I left the AD with my 16570- my first Rolex- on my wrist. (The actual trade process is something that I'll post a review of in the "Who's Who" section, as it was an excellent transaction every step of the way.)

However, on to the good stuff- the watch!

I'd like to start by giving a bit of background. I had had my Glashutte- which was my first nice watch- for about a year and a half. It got very little wrist time. When I first bought it, I mistakenly thought that, being 6"5' and 220 lbs., I would need a watch of heft and height, to complement my larger size. So I got the Glashutte- 42mm and ~13.75mm tall- a watch very hefty and very tall on the wrist. Glashutte watches, I have read, are traditionally exceptionally sturdy and thick. The Sport Evo was no exception. It felt like I was wearing a brick on my wrist. A beautifully finished and crafted brick, but a heavy brick, nonetheless. I found that I did not like wearing a large watch.

Then, I inherited a quartz Seiko from my grandfather, a watch that had been his daily beater for years, only to find that I actually enjoyed wearing a smaller watch. The Seiko he gave me is no bigger than 32mm, and to my surprise it was not too small on my wrist. I learned, the hard way, that I preferred smaller watches- anything over 40mm is likely just not for me.

When I bought my Glashutte, like many budding collectors, I knew little about movements in general. I could marvel at the aesthetics of a Patek movement, but I knew nothing about the inner architecture and engineering of a movement, which in my opinion is really what makes the watch. You can have a beautifully designed timepiece, but if the movement inside is absolute garbage, the longevity of your love for that watch will likely be seriously curtailed. I looked down on Rolex as a "mass-produced, over-rated status symbol". Then, I read, and learned.

I learned that the 3185 in my 16570 is actually far more durable and robust than the beautifully finished Cal. 39-31 movement in my GO. I learned the history of Rolex, and, by reading the accounts of various watchmakers, I learned just how marvelous the engineering inside of a Rolex really is. I learned that, more than anything, a Rolex was the watch for me. Robust, durable, and accurate, engineered and crafted to last several lifetimes, with classic and generally highly tasteful designs- Rolex just "fits", for me.

The movement inside my GO was gorgeous- but I would baby it, precisely because it was so gorgeous, and, unlike the base Rolex calibers, the Cal. 39's aren't really tried and tested in terms of durability. But, with the 16570 on my wrist, I feel very, very comfortable wearing it daily. I have no intention whatsoever of abusing it, but it won't by any means be a safe queen, either.
Thomasm144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 04:45 AM   #2
Thomasm144
"TRF" Member

Sorry about that- I accidentally hit "enter" without finishing the review, and only just now have had time to complete it.

Cont...

The 16570 is by far the most comfortable watch I have ever worn. It is stated to measure 40mm, but I have read it measures ~39mm from 9-3. Regardless it is extremely comfortable on the wrist. The Oyster bracelet, while it is the older style with the much maligned clasp, is very comfortable as well when sized properly. That being said, it is the older style Oyster bracelet, and just cannot compete with the bracelet/clasp on the GO. That is the only aspect of the GO that is superior to the 16570. The GO had a very substantial bracelet, very comfortable, exquisitely finished and engineered. It also had a very quick and easy to use micro-adjustment system that was thoughtfully integrated into the clasp. This Oyster bracelet cannot compete with the GO bracelet- but that's the only area where the GO trumps the 16570.

The 16570 is a classic watch. I have the black dial version. Many prefer the white dial, but I personally just prefer a black dial on my watches. It looks beautiful, rugged, elegant, and the slight tints of white gold contrast wonderfully with the black dial, giving the whole face a look of reserved beauty. The watch is the antithesis of the "gaudy Rolex" that is the stereotypical image of a luxury watch.

I am extremely happy with my 16570. I will have and love this watch for the rest of my life. Nonetheless, I am still fantasizing and scrounging together some savings for my next Rolex.

I will post pictures later.
Old 6 October 2017, 06:25 AM   #3
Gabriel920
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Congrats on the beautiful Explorer! I am not quite as tall as you are but at 6'3" and a built 250lbs I always thought the same. I needed a large face and a watch with height. I had my sights set on the Sea Dweller, but at Mayor's fell in love with the GMT as soon as I put it on. 40mm is perfect. I no longer have such reservations and am currently contemplating between the blue submariner and the Hulk. Rolexes become an addiction.
Gabriel920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 10:36 AM   #4
Atlantic
"TRF" Member

great watch! enjoy!
Atlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2017, 01:41 PM   #5
Thomasm144
"TRF" Member

Some pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171005_114730.jpg (188.0 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg 20171005_115457.jpg (180.3 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg 20171004_134709.jpg (241.3 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg 20171005_115138.jpg (98.5 KB, 278 views)
Old 6 October 2017, 01:44 PM   #6
Thomasm144
"TRF" Member

Thanks Gabriel! I wish I liked the maxi-cases, but they just seem too bulky for me. So I'll have to make do with 5-digit models. The WG Sub, however, is a beauty.
Old 6 October 2017, 01:45 PM   #7
Thomasm144
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic View Post
great watch! enjoy!
Thanks!
Old 7 October 2017, 01:22 AM   #8
Gabriel920
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasm144 View Post
Thanks Gabriel! I wish I liked the maxi-cases, but they just seem too bulky for me. So I'll have to make do with 5-digit models. The WG Sub, however, is a beauty.
Yes, the WG sub is a beauty, but just a little out of my budget at the current time. Realized that when I wrote blue sub I should have specified the 2-tone lol. Great pictures by the way! The watch is definitely a nice one.
Gabriel920 is offline   Reply With Quote