The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 December 2017, 08:20 AM   #1
Go Bucs
"TRF" Member

Crockett & Jones Islay sizing advice

Let’s assume I am nowhere near a retailer that would allow me to be properly sized for a pair of C&J Islay, because that is not an option. I see on their website to size down ½ size based upon the last used, but I am still on the fence. Accounting for the uk to us size conversion aside, does anyone know first hand how they fit (true to size)? For comparison if you also have red wing iron rangers that would be a clear comparison for me. Thanks for any assistance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Go Bucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 02:03 PM   #2
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 36!
I am going through this right now. I have a pair of Islays that I knocked down half a size from the AE 65 last, and they're great for THICK winter socks. I have another pair on the way in one full size down, hopefully they'll be perfect with thin socks.

I figured go ahead and size down a size extra. If it's too small, it's too small. Exchange it for a half size up, especially since it's their 365 last, the roomiest one they make.

Better to only send it back once for a guaranteed perfect fit, than twice for the right fit you got the 1st time around.
KarlTheToyotaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 04:05 PM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
I decided to go with true to size in the 365 Last based on my experience with the 325 Last. The 325 Last is a bit more narrow and as such when I tried a 11 on the 325 it was too narrow for me. My Brannock size is 11 1/2 D. Since I ordered my Lindricks on 325 from Ralph Lauren at the time I was able to order both sizes and just return the size that didn't fit.

I forget exactly what transpired with the Islays I ordered from Barneys but I didn't have the same opportunity at the time. I would say the 11 1/2 D for my Islays are a bit more roomy but not that ill fitting. However I think depending on your foot you maybe able to order a 1/2 size down.

1. Your best bet when buying new shoes or boots especially on a Last you haven't tried before are of course to size in person. 2. Baring that be able to order and return any size that does not fit. 3. Check out StyleForum for fitting guidance in the appropriate Shoemaker Appreciation thread.

Bottom line nothing replaces the ability to size in person. I've just been extremely lucky having an average size width of foot and using a lot of good guidance from other users on StyleForum.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 09:31 AM   #4
Go Bucs
"TRF" Member

Crockett & Jones Islay sizing advice

Thanks to both of you, sounds like ½ to a full size down is where to start. I have done the routine of buying two sizes and returning the one that does not fit (or like last time exchange for another in the right size and end up with two pairs). I am normally a size 10 medium width (US sizes) and for example my latest boots, Red Wing Iron Rangers, are ½ size down at 9.5 and they are perfect. I will go with either the same here (9.5 US so 8.5 UK) or maybe go down to a 9 (or rather an 8 UK).

If anyone has Iron Rangers and Islay and can confirm if they run generally the same or slightly larger that would hone me in on either 9 or 9.5.

In the meantime I will do some additional research on the styleforum recommended. If all things remain the same I will probably go a full size down as mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 December 2017, 09:37 AM   #5
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I was wondering this myself.

I got a pair of Galway IIs a few weeks ago in size 10. They are on the 325 and starting out fairly snug in terms of width. Length was prefect.

Took wearing them maybe 5-6 times and now they feel great. I don't like wearing thick socks in general, so it worked out nicely.

Planning on getting the Islay maybe next week. Will have to see how the 365 compares to the 325.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 10:01 AM   #6
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Bucs View Post
Thanks to both of you, sounds like ½ to a full size down is where to start. I have done the routine of buying two sizes and returning the one that does not fit (or like last time exchange for another in the right size and end up with two pairs). I am normally a size 10 medium width (US sizes) and for example my latest boots, Red Wing Iron Rangers, are ½ size down at 9.5 and they are perfect. I will go with either the same here (9.5 US so 8.5 UK) or maybe go down to a 9 (or rather an 8 UK).

If anyone has Iron Rangers and Islay and can confirm if they run generally the same or slightly larger that would hone me in on either 9 or 9.5.

In the meantime I will do some additional research on the styleforum recommended. If all things remain the same I will probably go a full size down as mentioned above.

Also have a pair of Redwing Beckmann’s. Pretty sure I sized down on those.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 December 2017, 10:20 AM   #7
Go Bucs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Also have a pair of Redwing Beckmann’s. Pretty sure I sized down on those.

Were they the Beckman 6” Classic Round Toe (which fit the same as the IR) or the Beckman Chukka (which are about 1/2 smaller)? Oddly enough the two variations do not fit the same.
Thanks

Old 18 December 2017, 10:38 AM   #8
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Were they the Beckman 6” Classic Round Toe (which fit the same as the IR) or the Beckman Chukka (which are about 1/2 smaller)? Oddly enough the two variations do not fit the same.
Thanks

The Beckman Classic Round Toe. I can double check, but pretty sure I down sized for those.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 December 2017, 11:16 AM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks

Just checked and as I suspected both of my Beckmans are 11 D.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 December 2017, 01:25 PM   #10
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I sized down a whole size from my AE 65 last size to the C&J 341 and 348 lasts.

This was after wearing a 341 that was ordered a half size down for a couple of years and finding it too large overall.

I was in NYC last week and got sized in store. The salespersons recommendation for me was to size down a whole size to an UK 8e from a US 9D.

The staff at the New York store should be able to help you over the phone, FYI.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:38 PM   #11
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
I’ve been wanting a pair of Islays as well. If I’m a 10E in the AE 65 last, I should go with a 9E in the Islay?
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 01:00 AM   #12
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uansari1 View Post
I’ve been wanting a pair of Islays as well. If I’m a 10E in the AE 65 last, I should go with a 9E in the Islay?
Call the NYC shop. You may need a half size down to UK E given you are a US E or go up to the UK G.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 21 December 2017, 03:48 AM   #13
Go Bucs
"TRF" Member

While I am waiting on my Islay to arrive, just curious what others use on the scotch grain? I just ordered some of the C&J dark brown wax polish. I plan to wear these regularly even in bad weather, and I know they are made to take it, but wasn’t sure if their standard wax polish is all people use.

Old 21 December 2017, 04:10 AM   #14
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
While I am waiting on my Islay to arrive, just curious what others use on the scotch grain? I just ordered some of the C&J dark brown wax polish. I plan to wear these regularly even in bad weather, and I know they are made to take it, but wasn’t sure if their standard wax polish is all people use.

So I don't now if this is correct or good, but seemed to work for me.

Before wearing them the first time, I used some Bick 4. Feels like the leather drinks that stuff.

After it dried and a light buff, I used that same C&J dark brown wax polish.

Seems fine. No issues.
Old 21 December 2017, 01:26 PM   #15
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I use brown cream on my brown Brecon scotch grain and it hides really rouh scuffs.

I just used some neutral Saphir on my EG Galways in a tan scotch grain and it worked very well. I will try it next on the C &J s.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 21 December 2017, 03:26 PM   #16
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I use the following basic guidelines when using polish. Wax is best for areas where you reasonably expect the shoe or boot not to crease and where a higher shine is desired. So basically if I use wax it’s reserved mainly for the heel and toe. Cream is generally best for the rest of the shoe or boot. No special rules for scotch grain or regular calf.

Typically I use as little polish as possible and very often use neutral because it has less affect on the color of the leather. However if my brush or my conditioner is not enough to get rid of a scuff or I find the shoe or boot requires some color than colored cream is required. Cream of course will darken the leather more as the pigment will tend to soak into the shoe or boot. There’s a much better chance a scuff will be hod more permanently when using cream vs wax.

Neutral wax if used to heavily or to often will start to flake.

But overall I use as little product on my shoes or boots and only try to use as needed. I tend to and try to use my brush more often.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 28 December 2017, 11:15 AM   #17
Go Bucs
"TRF" Member

As a follow up, I received my Islay yesterday and the size 8.5UK (9.5 US) is very close to the same fit as the Red Wing Iron Ranger 9.5 US but with what I would call a more precise fit for me. I am glad I did not size down any or they would be too tight. So they essentially run ½ size down from my “normal” size 10 US, same as I do with the RW IR if that helps anyone else. They fit like a glove with no perceived break in period as I wore them today, excellent fit and feel.

Old 28 December 2017, 12:26 PM   #18
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As a follow up, I received my Islay yesterday and the size 8.5UK (9.5 US) is very close to the same fit as the Red Wing Iron Ranger 9.5 US but with what I would call a more precise fit for me. I am glad I did not size down any or they would be too tight. So they essentially run ½ size down from my “normal” size 10 US, same as I do with the RW IR if that helps anyone else. They fit like a glove with no perceived break in period as I wore them today, excellent fit and feel.

Congrats!!

Frankly I’ve never experienced any breakin issues with any of my better leather shoes or boots and once i’ve started buying even better shoes or boots from C&J or better the experience or feel has always been great right out of the box. In fact some even better than others.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 28 December 2017, 01:06 PM   #19
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congrats!!

Frankly I’ve never experienced any breakin issues with any of my better leather shoes or boots and once i’ve started buying even better shoes or boots from C&J or better the experience or feel has always been great right out of the box. In fact some even better than others.
That has generally been my experience. IMO, a big factor in how long the break in process will be is the type of soles. Rubber soles require little to no break in. My Marlows were a pain in the ass to break in because the sole that C&J used were very tough. A really extreme example would be the Chasse shoes from JM Weston. I’ve read on a number of occasions that Weston uses some of the toughest leather soles and the Chasse shoes have a triple leather sole. I’ve read comments where people have owned the Chasse shoes for years and the still aren’t fully broken in.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 01:32 PM   #20
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
That has generally been my experience. IMO, a big factor in how long the break in process will be is the type of soles. Rubber soles require little to no break in. My Marlows were a pain in the ass to break in because the sole that C&J used were very tough. A really extreme example would be the Chasse shoes from JM Weston. I’ve read on a number of occasions that Weston uses some of the toughest leather soles and the Chasse shoes have a triple leather sole. I’ve read comments where people have owned the Chasse shoes for years and the still aren’t fully broken in.
I’m guessing but you don’t own any Redwings do you Wes? I get what your saying I think you have a point, but in Redwings case soles aren’t it? Well the soles on the Beckmann’s do make a difference and to this day they can be a bit much towards the end of the day. However the leather on the Redwings really are something else, and although it’s Ok now it’s something else when trying to break it in the beginning. Redwings actually tans their own leather and whatever it is that they do it can be somewhat rough in the beginning to say the least,

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 28 December 2017, 09:58 PM   #21
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
I’m guessing but you don’t own any Redwings do you Wes? I get what your saying I think you have a point, but in Redwings case soles aren’t it? Well the soles on the Beckmann’s do make a difference and to this day they can be a bit much towards the end of the day. However the leather on the Redwings really are something else, and although it’s Ok now it’s something else when trying to break it in the beginning. Redwings actually tans their own leather and whatever it is that they do it can be somewhat rough in the beginning to say the least,
Red Wing seems to use bridle leather. The hide is thick and stiff when new, but super durable over time.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 10:18 PM   #22
Go Bucs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Red Wing seems to use bridle leather. The hide is thick and stiff when new, but super durable over time.

Agreed, there is a big difference. My newest pair of RW, the Iron Rangers, are giving me a pain on the top of my foot between the 3rd and 4th eyelets. I keep thinking it will go away, and I tried leaving them different l, but so far still there. That being said I have only worn them 6 times maybe.

Old 28 December 2017, 11:39 PM   #23
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed, there is a big difference. My newest pair of RW, the Iron Rangers, are giving me a pain on the top of my foot between the 3rd and 4th eyelets. I keep thinking it will go away, and I tried leaving them different l, but so far still there. That being said I have only worn them 6 times maybe.

I actually followed the advice that I read somewhere and I wore mine for about an hour a night over a course of two weeks before wearing them for a full day. I think it helped but they were still painful for the first few weeks and during that time I mostly sat at a desk.after that they were good to go. I think some have actually used oil or conditioner to help soften them up to make it easier. I didn’t do that as I don’t like stuffing my leather footwear with a lot of oil or product. My soles are not that comfortable and I don’t tend to wear them when I have a lot of walking to do. Mine are the Beckmans with the hard rubber sole but the IR’s with the leather sole is more than likely much more comfortable.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 28 December 2017, 11:49 PM   #24
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
You might be right, but whatever it is when going through the process I often wondered whether I was breaking my boots in or whether my boots were breaking me in.

But yes, after that process was over the leather is very comfortable.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 29 December 2017, 01:43 AM   #25
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I admire the tenacity of anyone willing to put up with weeks of pain to break in a pair of boots.

I remember having a difficult pair of heavy leather lugged boots that I spent months getting to the point that I could walk all day in. However, on the second day of a multiday pack trip They started rubbing my feet raw. After running out of moleskin, i ended up with duct tape on both heels. At the end trailhead, they were deposited in the first trash can I saw and I was happy to burn $400.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 29 December 2017, 01:46 AM   #26
Go Bucs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I admire the tenacity of anyone willing to put up with weeks of pain to break in a pair of boots.

I remember having a difficult pair of heavy leather lugged boots that I spent months getting to the point that I could walk all day in. However, on the second day of a multiday pack trip They started rubbing my feet raw. After running out of moleskin, i ended up with duct tape on both heels. At the end trailhead, they were deposited in the first trash can I saw and I was happy to burn $400.

Dang, the IR are nowhere near that bad. It really just seems like extra pressure on that one spot that goes away when I remove the boot. Absolutely no blistering or anything, and I do notice a difference already (wearing them again today). Other than that they feel great, so I will give it a couple more wears. The Islay on the other hand, perfection.

Old 15 January 2018, 11:46 PM   #27
Go Bucs
"TRF" Member

Just curious if anyone has the Islay (365 last) as well as the Skye on the 335 last? I am looking at getting a pair of Skye and it appears the 335 is nearly the same as the 365. I found one review where the gentleman has both in the same size and says they are nearly the same but I wanted a second opinion before ordering. I thought about going ½ size up to be safe but don’t want them lose. So, anyone with the Islay and the Skye or another on the 335 last?

Old 15 January 2018, 11:54 PM   #28
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just curious if anyone has the Islay (365 last) as well as the Skye on the 335 last? I am looking at getting a pair of Skye and it appears the 335 is nearly the same as the 365. I found one review where the gentleman has both in the same size and says they are nearly the same but I wanted a second opinion before ordering. I thought about going ½ size up to be safe but don’t want them lose. So, anyone with the Islay and the Skye or another on the 335 last?

If your looking for greater possibility of more people with this experience you really should checkout the C&J appreciation thread on Style Forum.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons