The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 August 2019, 07:04 AM   #31
pkincy
"TRF" Member

A bit of a story. My brother gifted my father a DJ36 on Jubilee w fluted bezel and white stick dial about 10-12 years ago. 10 years ago my brother passed away and Dad followed him in 2015 and Mom in 2016. As I was consolidating their stuff to sell the house I found the Rolex DJ that frankly I had forgotten about. So I wore it proudly from 2016 to mid 2018. It had a crown problem in 2018 so I took it to the local AD to be fixed and lo and behold not only was it fake but not even a good fake. I suspect my brother given his history and some of his friends was presented a fake rolex as a genuine but hot Rolex and he bought it and then gifted it to my Dad. Dad wore it proudly for 6-7 years and I for 2 years. When I found out it was not genuine I discarded it but bought a replacement 116234 to match it to wear as a remembrance for both of them. So Dad got a genuine Rolex from his kids even if posthumously.

pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 08:06 AM   #32
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
My dad gave is his 16613LB from 2001. I’ve had it about 8 years. It doesn’t get much wrist time, but I cherish it.

s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 08:10 AM   #33
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Great pics and stories
Old 12 August 2019, 08:17 AM   #34
ltmgeller

my first Rolex was this TOG, a gift from my late mother.
20th Anniversary gifts for the wife and I. The II is mine the RG is hers. YM Phote credit Atom Moore

Last edited by ltmgeller; 12 August 2019 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Forgot photo credit
ltmgeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 08:23 AM   #35
ltmgeller

I forgot this JC DSSD I won in a bet from my brother. Can’t get into specifics, but he got off easy.
Old 12 August 2019, 02:44 PM   #36
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

I decided to go to a one watch collection. I sold a few, gave my omega seamaster to my brother in law, gave my ceramic ss sub date to one son and my ss pepsi to my other son. It feels good!
kirksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 10:03 PM   #37
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
My father brought this watch home from France at the end of WWll. He gave it to me shortly before he passed away in 1992, about the same time that my interest in watches went to the next level.
I have no idea of its value, nor am I interested in that info, as it’s priceless to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5867477B-4366-44F6-96AC-0091248883F9.jpeg (56.8 KB, 91 views)
crew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 10:47 PM   #38
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Got my 16610 in 1999 from my parents at Christmas. I had a DJ but at that time wore it sparingly and was looking for a daily wearer. It was a u series and cost about 3200 at the time. Given the u series it was sitting around the dealer for a while before being snapped up if you can imagine. It’s been in my wrist more days than not over the past 20 years; birthdays, wedding, honeymoon, birth of sons, and sadly some funerals. It will outlive me and get passed on to my sons someday.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 10:24 AM   #39
rolexkidd
"TRF" Member

UHHHH, what the hell is going on here? I sure hope you are inside a cage and just sticking your arm out for this picture. No freakin thanks brah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post

I forgot this JC DSSD I won in a bet from my brother. Can’t get into specifics, but he got off easy.
rolexkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 11:46 AM   #40
justjay82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexkidd View Post
So I told this story in a previous thread but I will go into more detail here. I was gifted my dad's Oyster on a jubilee two tone when I was in college. If I recall correctly it was the summer between my Soph and Jr. year. We were sitting at dinner one evening and I made the comment that I was ready to start looking for my first Rolex. He said "no need" as he reached down unclasped the watch and handed it to me. I was stunned. I'd admired this watch for many years ever since I was really old enough to appreciate what it was. The story of this watch and how it came to be is interesting and cool as well. He bought it in 1966 brand new and paid something like $220.00. He said he had no idea how he was going to pay for it but knew he wanted it and needed it. It was nothing really out of the ordinary but it aged well and looked great 21 year later. He was a young and aspiring stockbroker living in Dallas, TX and travelling to New York monthly. He wanted a watch that would fit in and not have to be replaced anytime soon and this was the ticket. I wore that watch proudly until I could afford my first Day Date 36mm single quick. It then went into the display box where it remained until it was time to buy him his dream watch. In 1990 I bought him a two tone blue sub that he still wears today at age 79.

Taking things a step further I bought my daughter a ladies two tone datejust 26mm w a white dial and gold batons for graduation from High School and she wears it proudly at Texas Tech. Her brothers and sisters will each get an entry level Rolex for graduating High School and to head to college. Yes I know what some of you are thinking, graduation from High School? The answer is yes.......I am sorta pre-baiting them to achieve something. They are all good kids and they are making grades and staying out of trouble. If they get so much as one wheel in the ditch, the nice things come to a complete halt and they figure it out from there. Different approach I guess.

Very nice!
justjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote