The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 September 2019, 05:34 AM   #1
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
HODINKEE-Montblanc Special Edition announcement next week

https://limited.hodinkee.com/montbla...eid=a036c5ad2c

What do you guys think it will be?
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 05:38 AM   #2
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

I betcha dollars to donuts there’s no date window.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 05:54 AM   #3
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

It will be 40mm or under
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 06:23 AM   #4
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
I betcha dollars to donuts there’s no date window.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
It will be 40mm or under
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 06:40 AM   #5
psv
"TRF" Member

Hodinkee has stopped being a community gathering-point/resource to know being a business maximizing profit (their niche is guerilla marketing, social media ad revenues, paid partnerships and selling watches in their online store (zero store front costs and zero discounts). Don't get me wrong - good for them to make a great living doing what they love - but at this point, all these co-branded Hodinkee releases are feeling less special each time.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 06:46 AM   #6
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Hodinkee has stopped being a community gathering-point/resource to know being a business maximizing profit (their niche is guerilla marketing, social media ad revenues, paid partnerships and selling watches in their online store (zero store front costs and zero discounts). Don't get me wrong - good for them to make a great living doing what they love - but at this point, all these co-branded Hodinkee releases are feeling less special each time.
A very reliable source says they’re opening a NYC boutique in the coming months.
Old 21 September 2019, 06:50 AM   #7
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A very reliable source says they’re opening a NYC boutique in the coming months.
What's next? Co-branded Moncler downjackets and Supreme street wear?
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 08:15 AM   #8
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

I can’t blame them for making a buck. They developed a good brand and loyal following. If their customers sense they’re sacrificing their integrity for a buck, then the money will dry up. For the time being, IMHO, Hodinkee is doing a masterful job. While I haven’t bought any of their offerings, I do enjoy their online content and I believe they have gone to commendable lengths to maintain journalistic integrity.
Old 21 September 2019, 08:16 AM   #9
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

I don't mind Hodinkee maximizing profit (ethically of course). It is what businesses are supposed to do. I do wonder if it would be better if they did just one Hodinkee limited edition per year and increased the number of watches for each edition.
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 09:01 AM   #10
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
I bet it'll be overpriced and small.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 10:14 AM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
SS CHRONO small run
Old 21 September 2019, 10:25 AM   #12
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
An overpriced marketing gimmick?
Old 21 September 2019, 10:39 AM   #13
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

E: wrong thread
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 01:18 PM   #14
TJMike
Banned

I bet it will sell out. Great for Hodinkee and Montblanc
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 02:21 PM   #15
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMike View Post
I bet it will sell out. Great for Hodinkee and Montblanc
That’s a given. Probably will sell out in 20 minutes and then you’ll see them listed on Chrono24 and Ebay shortly after they’re shipped.
Old 21 September 2019, 05:37 PM   #16
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
A vintage inspired SS Minerva chrono in 40 mm doesn’t seem too far fetched
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 05:51 PM   #17
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Might be a pen?
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 09:29 PM   #18
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
Might be a pen?
I'd laugh so hard if it ends up being a pen.

It'll likely follow Hodinkee's model of retro and vintage... something like a quill and jar of ink.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 12:55 AM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

It says on the website a watch and a trip of a lifetime. I am guessing Minerva chrono and trip to the manufacture? Must be pricey.
Old 22 September 2019, 01:19 AM   #20
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

As they pivot from a community to a business, the comment section over there still points to a cult.

THEY’RE USING YOU FOR CASH PEOPLE!!!
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 10:13 AM   #21
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
Whatever it is it I hope it doesn't have the poo logo.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
cuibono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 11:25 PM   #22
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
What’s the infatuation with Hodinkee?
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 02:45 AM   #23
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
What’s the infatuation with Hodinkee?
Grade A marketing. You should know this as a RM fan.... (I kid I kid).

Old 23 September 2019, 09:52 AM   #24
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Grade A marketing. You should know this as a RM fan.... (I kid I kid).
Nope still don’t get it
Old 23 September 2019, 04:12 PM   #25
Fitzer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570/16000
Quote:
I can’t blame them for making a buck. They developed a good brand and loyal following. If their customers sense they’re sacrificing their integrity for a buck, then the money will dry up. For the time being, IMHO, Hodinkee is doing a masterful job. While I haven’t bought any of their offerings, I do enjoy their online content and I believe they have gone to commendable lengths to maintain journalistic integrity.
I see no issue with a site that started basically as a well-funded, extremely high quality enthusiast blog growing into a self-sustaining business within the industry it covers. To actually call it journalism and holding it to the same ethical standards as actual real journalistic outlets doesn't really make sense to me--these writers are hardcore enthusiasts and they always have been; the bias was always going to be there, and I want it there. That's why I go there, because they are good at talking about watch stuff with enthusiasm. There's not really any necessity for any sort of journalistic integrity to be upheld and that's totally fine. They do great industry reporting, they have a lot of clout and use it to collab with brands, and they continue to build their own brand and reputation as a serious industry player. If NPR was suddenly doing this kind of stuff, then we can start a serious discussion about maintaining journalistic integrity.
Fitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 08:47 PM   #26
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzer View Post
I see no issue with a site that started basically as a well-funded, extremely high quality enthusiast blog growing into a self-sustaining business within the industry it covers. To actually call it journalism and holding it to the same ethical standards as actual real journalistic outlets doesn't really make sense to me--these writers are hardcore enthusiasts and they always have been; the bias was always going to be there, and I want it there. That's why I go there, because they are good at talking about watch stuff with enthusiasm. There's not really any necessity for any sort of journalistic integrity to be upheld and that's totally fine. They do great industry reporting, they have a lot of clout and use it to collab with brands, and they continue to build their own brand and reputation as a serious industry player. If NPR was suddenly doing this kind of stuff, then we can start a serious discussion about maintaining journalistic integrity.
To echo some of this, journalistic integrity in the watch space is virtually non-existent. How many times have you gone to a prominent horological medium and seen a watch/brand blasted negatively? The most you’ll get is some sheepish commentary like, “ultimately the market will decide this one”.

Old 23 September 2019, 11:15 PM   #27
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzer View Post
Thanks for the note. It appears I unintentionally struck a nerve with my imprecise choice of words. It’s been known to happen on occasion. To clarify - by “journalistic integrity” I meant that Hodinkee editors take it upon themselves to disclose any business relationships they may have with a brand of a particular watch they are reviewing. In other words, when they’re being shills they’re sure to mention it. Obviously they’re just a watch website. I wasn’t referring to journalistic standards of integrity expected of organizations like ABC News or the NYTimes. I was merely mentioning that I appreciate that they endeavor to disclose their business associations, which demonstrates (at least to me) a certain level of integrity and respect for their readers.
Old 24 September 2019, 07:18 AM   #28
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

I quite enjoy Hodinkee and in my opinion most of the people who speak negatively about it probably don't want anyone else to succeed but themselves.

A small business success story in mechanical watch media. This was not exactly a cash grab when ben started the business a decade ago.
Old 24 September 2019, 08:05 AM   #29
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Maturing and growing, finding more success and great for them, but I too miss the “old” HODINKEE
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 08:52 AM   #30
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I quite enjoy Hodinkee and in my opinion most of the people who speak negatively about it probably don't want anyone else to succeed but themselves.

A small business success story in mechanical watch media. This was not exactly a cash grab when ben started the business a decade ago.
I actually like hodinkee, but I don’t understand what they have to do with watch making.

It’s like asking the Wall Street journal to help manage my money