The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 April 2018, 05:33 AM   #1
derklink
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Does the SS Pepsi look cheap?

Hi ladies and gents, don't know if this was discussed before... (mod, if so, please close)

Last night me fiancée was freeing up storage space on my work phone (its an iPhone and I hate that thing - that's why I have no clue how it works ) and she saw I had some pics of the new SS Pepsi on it. She asked me if I liked it, to which I replied that I already signed up for it/put my name on 2 lists. Her comment: "Why? It looks absolutely cheap." I said: "It doesn't, wait till you see it in person." While I usually don't care too much what other people think, this made ME think. I have to say that I've never seen the WG version, which has the same bezel, in person.

So what do you think? Is my fiancée right?
derklink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 05:39 AM   #2
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
nope!
Pepsi GMT 126710BLRO
White DaytonaC 116500
Omega Seamaster 50th Anniv Bond OHMSS
Omega Seamaster Bond titanium
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 05:40 AM   #3
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I think it looks great, but what do I know. I've long given up trying to decipher what watches my wife thinks look good.

My wife also didn't like the Basel releases (Pepsi & CHNR). She doesn't like my BLNR or my JLC tribute to Deep Sea. Loves my 116610LV though. And has recently told me to go for the FPJ Chrono Bleu (though this may be a trap).

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 05:42 AM   #4
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Curious - did she say what looks cheap about the watch, specifically? If it has to do with the bezel colors, I'd try to stop by some local ADs and see if they have any WG models in person. You are your own best judge on evaluating how much you like/dislike the bezel once you see one in the flesh? Was her comment directed perhaps to the jubilee bracelet? There is a love/hate relationship for the bracelet with a lot of people. I personally love it (have it on my DJ) and assure you there is nothing cheap about it.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 05:45 AM   #5
derklink
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
Curious - did she say what looks cheap about the watch, specifically? If it has to do with the bezel colors, I'd try to stop by some local ADs and see if they have any WG models in person. You are your own best judge on evaluating how much you like/dislike the bezel once you see one in the flesh? Was her comment directed perhaps to the jubilee bracelet? There is a love/hate relationship for the bracelet with a lot of people. I personally love it (have it on my DJ) and assure you there is nothing cheap about it.
Exactly, she meant the bezel colors. Just from the pictures. She did like the brown and black TT and YG models though.
Old 10 April 2018, 05:46 AM   #6
derklink
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
And has recently told me to go for the FPJ Chrono Bleu (though this may be a trap).
l
Old 10 April 2018, 05:46 AM   #7
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Nope. Don’t necessarily like the bracelet but for sure doesn’t look cheap to my eyes. Isn’t the point here that we all see what we see, and like what we like, so I’m not sure the real point of asking this.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 05:51 AM   #8
derklink
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Nope. Don’t necessarily like the bracelet but for sure doesn’t look cheap to my eyes. Isn’t the point here that we all see what we see, and like what we like, so I’m not sure the real point of asking this.
Understand your point. Looks are subjective. Just wondering if others thought the same or heard similar comments.
Old 10 April 2018, 05:52 AM   #9
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklink View Post

Is she right? No, but she's not wrong either. It's her opinion, and while I don't agree with her I see why she might feel that way.

I think the common perception of how a luxury watch should look is that similar to a Daydate, Cellini, or Patek dress watch on strap. I can see why the colorful ceramic bezel could make the watch look "toy-ish".

This is just another example of non-WIS person's perspective. Again, while I don't agree with her, I like hearing these stories, cause it reminds me that most people don't scrutinize watches the way we do.

While we post polls, blue of a BLNR vs the blue of a BLRO, or Jubilee vs president bracelet, most people don't know the difference or care.

I put my speedy tuesday on a leather strap the other night and my wife thought it was the greatest thing she'd ever seen. She said it was my most sophisticated watch lol. Again, she's not wrong necessarily, but on a vintage rather distressed looking leather strap, it's the last watch in my collection i would have called sophisticated.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 05:53 AM   #10
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
My wife said it looks horrendous. I smiled and said I'm on the list. I don't recall hearing her being so vehement about a watch. My YM and SD43 are "dull" and "nothing new, boring". But calling the new GMT horrendous, I didn't see that coming.

She prefers dressy and classic looking pieces like Longines Master Collection, JLC Master Date, MUT Moon, IWC Portofino, Calatrava (yeah, in your dreams). I like them too but I prefer sports watches.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 05:54 AM   #11
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Everyone has differing tastes. If you need her to sign off on the purchase then don't buy it. But her comments might be used to suggest that you have the green light to buy one of the other models, so that could work really, really well.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:01 AM   #12
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
My wife saw the pepsi wt gold at the store and she wasnt a fan but she didnt call it cheeap. She liked the daytona more.

But more importantly. Why is your fiance freeinng up space on your work phone?
Bt122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:01 AM   #13
Kevan
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one on my arm.
Having just returned from the Middle East I visited my AD on Saturday to "register" my interest. As we left my wife complained that I spoil everything...... she has asked them to source one for my birthday later this year. I took that as a green light.
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:03 AM   #14
lee fowler
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklink View Post
Hi ladies and gents, don't know if this was discussed before... (mod, if so, please close)

Last night me fiancée was freeing up storage space on my work phone (its an iPhone and I hate that thing - that's why I have no clue how it works ) and she saw I had some pics of the new SS Pepsi on it. She asked me if I liked it, to which I replied that I already signed up for it/put my name on 2 lists. Her comment: "Why? It looks absolutely cheap." I said: "It doesn't, wait till you see it in person." While I usually don't care too much what other people think, this made ME think. I have to say that I've never seen the WG version, which has the same bezel, in person.

Nope!

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:05 AM   #15
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

She absolutely nailed it. Please don't buy this watch. Tell you what, I'll take your spot on the lists, as a favor. PM me.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:08 AM   #16
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
She is right. Move on!
Old 10 April 2018, 06:09 AM   #17
Cabinetman
"TRF" Member

My wife had the opposite reaction. She loves the new Pepsi. She really likes the Jubilee bracelet. I don't know that her positive reaction means I have the green light to pursue one, but it is better to ask forgiveness than permission.
Cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:10 AM   #18
zjd168
"TRF" Member

there's no right or wrong answer just an opinion from a woman whose taste is shared by some. When was the last time any consumer product getting 100% unanimous approval?
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:11 AM   #19
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
I think it is the red/blue bezel. To be honest, before I actually knew about the "Pepsi" Rolex, I thought the same thing. Why would anyone spent this much money buying a Rolex with toy looking bezel. I thought a nice Rolex would be Datejust with everything metal, silver or gold color.
But after I learnt about the watch, I learn to appreciate it and now I want one.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:12 AM   #20
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
lol, my wife thinks all my watches look the same, I have mainly GMT's and Subs, so in a way she is right. She loves my Daytona (PreC) and when I showed her the Platinum Daytona she really liked that as well...until I told her the price!

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:15 AM   #21
derklink
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt122 View Post
My wife saw the pepsi wt gold at the store and she wasnt a fan but she didnt call it cheeap. She liked the daytona more.

But more importantly. Why is your fiance freeinng up space on your work phone?
She thinks that out of our phones, it has the best camera and she likes to take pics with it
Old 10 April 2018, 06:17 AM   #22
derklink
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
lol, my wife thinks all my watches look the same, I have mainly GMT's and Subs, so in a way she is right. She loves my Daytona (PreC) and when I showed her the Platinum Daytona she really liked that as well...until I told her the price!
Hah! Same here...when we picked up my BLNR at the AD in 2014, she wanted to try on the Platona. She loved it. Once she saw the price tag, she was cured
Old 10 April 2018, 06:19 AM   #23
kwingy
"TRF" Member

I agree - for a watch with bright-ish colours, the bezel is just dull looking. I think the Rootbeer GMT bezel, if that came on normal SS, that would be the one to get.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:22 AM   #24
derklink
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevan le stelle View Post
Everyone has differing tastes. If you need her to sign off on the purchase then don't buy it. But her comments might be used to suggest that you have the green light to buy one of the other models, so that could work really, really well.
She is cool, don't need her to sign off (unless it is an important financial decision, like Rolex vs new AC/HVAC for the house). I do have to admit that I like the DJ 41, blue dial, fluted bezel...
Old 10 April 2018, 06:35 AM   #25
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I think it looks great, but what do I know. I've long given up trying to decipher what watches my wife thinks look good.

My wife also didn't like the Basel releases (Pepsi & CHNR). She doesn't like my BLNR or my JLC tribute to Deep Sea. Loves my 116610LV though. And has recently told me to go for the FPJ Chrono Bleu (though this may be a trap).
How does JLC tribute deep sea wear. That's a superb watch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:35 AM   #26
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Your fiancée is totally right. It’s the cheapest looking Rolex ever made. It looks so cheap that it makes an Aquaracer look like a Patek compared to it. Just awful. Might as well have Folex on the dial. When the AD calls you, I’ll buy that atrocious watch from them. You almost made a terrible mistake. Thank God you told TRF!
Old 10 April 2018, 06:38 AM   #27
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnpina View Post
How does JLC tribute deep sea wear. That's a superb watch

I of course forgot the "?"

dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:42 AM   #28
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I guess everybody's entitled to their opinion...however wrong that may be.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:44 AM   #29
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
While not a fan of the newest GMT, nothing made to the quality of Rolex should ever look or feel cheap in the metal. Sometimes a photo can be deceiving though.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:50 AM   #30
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Chill!

Your fiancé is putting you off buying it,
because she secretly has one on order for you.
She loves it as much as you.
Trust me.

Ps. If you DO end up with two, send me yours and I will marry you too!
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote