The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 August 2019, 08:59 AM   #1
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Some Observations

I’ve been a member of the forum for about a year and hopefully have made some constructive comments based on my technical knowledge of materials science and engineering. Have owned Rolexes for 30 years.

Everyone has a right to post or make an inquiry about anything they wish, but the following are a bit frustrating to me:

- Help me pick out a watch. Please work to upgrade your judgment and self-esteem.

- Please compliment me on my new watch purchase. Good grief!

- I love or hate my AD. Please just deal with that. I believe there’s a great deal of difference among individual dealers so it’s hard to generalize.

- I know what Rolex or Tudor’s business strategy should be better than they do. I suggest offering them your management consulting services.

- I banged my watch and have a little scratch. Please “man up”.

- Will X or Y watches be the best investment for me. Nobody knows and modern watches are doubtful investments anyway.

- Can I safely take my watch to country/city X. If you’re comfortable taking yourself and your family there, the answer is yes.

Sorry if this presents me as a bad forum member, but there it is.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:02 AM   #2
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Can’t fault someone who is right, and that about sums up the Forum topics du jour of late.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:08 AM   #3
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

You left off the ‘greys / resellers are charging more than MSRP’ posts.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:13 AM   #4
golfski
"TRF" Member

Watch: me whip & nay nay
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
I’ve been a member of the forum for about a year and hopefully have made some constructive comments based on my technical knowledge of materials science and engineering. Have owned Rolexes for 30 years.

Everyone has a right to post or make an inquiry about anything they wish, but the following are a bit frustrating to me:

- Help me pick out a watch. Please work to upgrade your judgment and self-esteem.

- I love or hate my AD. Please just deal with that. I believe there’s a great deal of difference among individual dealers so it’s hard to generalize.

- I know what Rolex or Tudor’s business strategy should be better than they do. I suggest offering them your management consulting services.

- Will X or Y watches be the best investment for me. Nobody knows and modern watches are doubtful investments anyway.

- Can I safely take my watch to country/city X. If you’re comfortable taking yourself and your family there, the answer is yes.

Like you said, everyone has a right to post whatever they want, but the following is VERY frustrating to me.

- I think posts that I have no interest in should not be allowed on the forum because I can’t help myself from clicking on things I don’t want to read. Like you said, “Man up”, its just a forum.

Your reason for coming here isn’t the same as mine, which isn’t the same as the next person, so on and so on. If you don’t like what you are reading - close the window. What you came here for 30 years ago, 10 years ago, even 10 months ago isn’t always going to be the topic of interest. Times change. Interests change. Why people collect watches change (investment, etc.). Deal with it.

I personally am sick of the threads complaining about about the other threads. If you don’t want to read it, DON’T READ IT! (Myself included, with these thread bashing threads!)
golfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:22 AM   #5
kypt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
So what topics do you think are acceptable for discussion here?
kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:24 AM   #6
marc12
Banned

Watch: Blue Steel SD
and perhaps we should restrict threads that criticize other people’s threads as well
marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:30 AM   #7
Jostack
"TRF" Member

I agree with the sentiment, but at least the “offensive” posts are pretty easy to parse from the titles.

This just causes a significant amount of scrolling before I find something interesting. I usually swipe up before I reach any level of frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:32 AM   #8
markseattle
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR-Daytona C
For me, about the only “thread starter” that annoys me is the one complaining about other threads.

If you don’t like the thread, move on.

The fact that I’m even complaining about this thread is annoying. I should have moved on but couldn’t resist.

Mark
markseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:34 AM   #9
giruto
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, Hulk, TOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfski View Post
Like you said, everyone has a right to post whatever they want, but the following is VERY frustrating to me.

- I think posts that I have no interest in should not be allowed on the forum because I can’t help myself from clicking on things I don’t want to read. Like you said, “Man up”, its just a forum.

Your reason for coming here isn’t the same as mine, which isn’t the same as the next person, so on and so on. If you don’t like what you are reading - close the window. What you came here for 30 years ago, 10 years ago, even 10 months ago isn’t always going to be the topic of interest. Times change. Interests change. Why people collect watches change (investment, etc.). Deal with it.

I personally am sick of the threads complaining about about the other threads. If you don’t want to read it, DON’T READ IT! (Myself included, with these thread bashing threads!)

Agree

giruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:36 AM   #10
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Simple.way to avoid ...
Don't click on it

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:36 AM   #11
Muxi
"TRF" Member

It may be bad form but I have always considered TRF as a safe venue to share incomings and a watch collection with like-minded individuals who will not interpret such posts as bragging. Sort of a support group among enthusiasts where you can keep talking about watches and references that other friends and colleagues would not understand.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:38 AM   #12
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
i mean... i hear you.

but this forum exists for all of us, to share in this collective madness. criticising folks for their posts seems a bit much, as stated by others above.

YMMV tho.
Old 6 August 2019, 09:42 AM   #13
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Since it appears my comments on this matter are not shared, I will refrain from offering them in the future. As was said, different people derive enjoyment in different ways. Will keep my future comments to technical matters.
Old 6 August 2019, 09:44 AM   #14
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfski View Post

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Perfectly said. If someone doesn’t like what they read or isn’t interested in a topic, scroll on. Look for titles that interest you. If nothing interests you, perhaps find a new forum. I am a relatively new member, since 2017, and the people here are probably not the same who were here when the forum started. I have learned one thing from TRF and that is many of the same questions I have often pondered are shared by many other people. To each their own opinion.
Old 6 August 2019, 09:51 AM   #15
waynorth
"TRF" Member

Yeah, some posts are annoying, but I read them anyway. I'm a masochist. Honestly, I find most people annoying, and I'm sure they would find me annoying, so...
waynorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:54 AM   #16
billfredericks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Milgauss
Some very fair criticisms...however, I actually like the “incoming”s. For those who don’t use other social media platforms in order to showcase our conspicuous consumption, I appreciate a place to share the madness for madness sake.
billfredericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:56 AM   #17
martinr
"TRF" Member

So why are you here?
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:00 AM   #18
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
So why are you here?
I have left.
Old 6 August 2019, 10:00 AM   #19
Wedders
"TRF" Member

The things I hate about the forum posts are the opposite ends of the spectrum. Firstly the trolls who just want to knock others asking genuine questions and just want to learn.
And the other end the Rolex fanboys who think Rolex rules the world and deserves a Nobel prize.
Wedders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:03 AM   #20
Bryan81
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
I enjoy most of the topics around here. Sometimes I’m not in the mood for certain threads, so I just scroll on. Even on topics that seem repetitive I enjoy hearing the current opinions and rants. I also like seeing whatever watch someone has picked up and sharing their joy with them.
Bryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:09 AM   #21
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
I have left.
You bring up some fair points, but honestly I’d just skip over the threads where you have no interest. That’s what I personally do.

I’d stick around too. I enjoy reading some of your posts, plus you should join us for the Dallas GTG next month.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:11 AM   #22
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Post what you want
People can like it or not
This forum doesn't cater to just things everyone agree on (even your current post maybe a lot like or maybe a lot don't, but who cares )
Great questions
Dumb questions
Crying
Craving
Trolling
Bitching
Complaining.
Whining
Technical
Good opinion
Bad opinion
Everything is all relative
Engage
Don't engage
Laugh
Smile :)
Don't take things so seriously
All is good on TRF

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:15 AM   #23
nuts070
"TRF" Member

1. Picking a watch - some genuinely needs another's opinion, I get lost in new malls sometimes and I ask for directions
2. Compliment - who doesn't want one sometimes?
3. AD love/hate - we learn who to deal with
4. Rolex strategy - it's a marketplace of ideas, who knows maybe Rolex gets some from us?
5. Being OC is a condition, please understand. I for one want my watches mint
6. Investment - everyone doesn't want to lose money/value, one factor that makes Rolex desirable so deal with it
7. Safety of others should not bother you, you're not their insurer.
nuts070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:25 AM   #24
IR201
"TRF" Member

Hi all I was hoping you could help me decide between the hulk and the pepsi, i know they are different watches but which one gets more compliments? Like on average. I was talking to my AD the other day (who I love) and they said they get more requests for the pepsi. Frankly I don't understand why rolex isn't producing more to meet demand. Especially with the ceramic bezels which don't scratch (I banged an aluminum one time, was pretty depressed about it). Anyway, let me know what you think - I'd hate to lose money on whichever I decide, plus I got an upcoming vacation and prefer the more low key option given crime and stuff.
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:29 AM   #25
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
Post what you want
People can like it or not
This forum doesn't cater to just things everyone agree on (even your current post maybe a lot like or maybe a lot don't, but who cares )
Great questions
Dumb questions
Crying
Craving
Trolling
Bitching
Complaining.
Whining
Technical
Good opinion
Bad opinion
Everything is all relative
Engage
Don't engage
Laugh
Smile :)
Don't take things so seriously
All is good on TRF

JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:29 AM   #26
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Hi all I was hoping you could help me decide between the hulk and the pepsi, i know they are different watches but which one gets more compliments? Like on average. I was talking to my AD the other day (who I love) and they said they get more requests for the pepsi. Frankly I don't understand why rolex isn't producing more to meet demand. Especially with the ceramic bezels which don't scratch (I banged an aluminum one time, was pretty depressed about it). Anyway, let me know what you think - I'd hate to lose money on whichever I decide, plus I got an upcoming vacation and prefer the more low key option given crime and stuff.
1/2 of me:

1/2 of me: fam you serious?!
Old 6 August 2019, 10:32 AM   #27
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Can’t fault someone who is right, and that about sums up the Forum topics du jour of late.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:42 AM   #28
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Quote:

Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:49 AM   #29
Kevin Hammer
"TRF" Member

I like the incomings too, or pics of newly acquired watches. Especially when it's a first, or meaningful in some way, or an "i always wanted one."
Kevin Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:53 AM   #30
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I get it - people can be annoying. My wife tells me that all the time.

That said, I have learned a lot about watches and collecting in my five or so years here. Probably more here than anywhere else. That's not necessarily good or bad - it just is.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote