The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 August 2019, 12:57 AM   #1
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
UK's Oldest Rolex AD: Poor Customer Care? Advice Needed

Hi TRF,

I will let you decide if this constitutes Poor Customer Service, it may seem a little petty but its ticked me off and may serve as a warning to anyone who puts a Rolex in for service.

In mid June I took my partners Lady Date-just in for service as she over wound it when changing the time, when i handed it into the AD they go through a checklist of its condition and what the customer is asking in terms of service and repair.

The Full service/repair and polishing options were chosen, the SA commented that the watch was in Excellent cosmetic condition and looked very good almost new.

At this point I clearly requested the watch to go directly to the UK's RSC for its full estimate and any service repair work, even though they have a onsite Rolex trained service technician who I did not want to look at the watch, I couldn't have made this clearer to the Sales person....The watch goes back to the UK RSC in Kent.

At the end of July I was passing the AD and called in to check why i hadn't had the customary E mail from Rolex with the estimate of repairs and costs?
At this point the Sales assistant tells me the watch is being serviced and repaired upstairs in the AD and not sent to Rolex SC as previously requested and agreed.

The AD Manager was out to lunch but rang me later after I had left the branch, she apologized profusely for them not following my request and offered me three options;

1. Send the watch as requested to Rolex SC in Kent, but that would take another two months for it to be completed.

2. Allow the AD to finish the service and repairs and in way of compensation give the watch 5 yr warranty instead of the normal 2 yrs.

3. Allow the AD to finish the service and repairs and if i wasn't happy with the completed work they would then send it back to Rolex themselves at their cost, All I have paid up to this point is £ 495.

I'm a little annoyed that they didn't follow my simple request and my partner just wanted her watch back on her wrist so option 2 was chosen, with the fall back of option 3 if its not up to scratch.

So we have just been to collect the watch from the AD, first impression is that it looks good, However no Rolex headed Service paperwork stating what has been done to the watch? no Rolex pouch........apparently Rolex don't do them anymore? The only receipt we have been given is for the card payment, nothing to do with the watch service?

Any Advice on how to proceed with this AD ?
Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 12:59 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

mistakes happen. they tried to fix it and thats the important thing and offered several solutions. A lot of businesses of all types would just say tough luck and make no attempt to make it better.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:03 AM   #3
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Think that you got an excellent service with the options provided. They made a mistake, but have done everything possible to rectify
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:03 AM   #4
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

I would've taken option 2.

As Tyler says, people make mistakes and in the grand scheme of things this is a pretty minor one. They've clearly owned up to the mistake by not bullshitting you and they've offered you very reasonable options for compensation.

I'd ask them to provide you with paperwork confirming the work that's been done and a proper invoice and then I'd forget about it.
Old 13 August 2019, 01:12 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2polar View Post
. . .

How to proceed at what?

You should ask for the offered 5 year in-house warranty in writing, this is all you generally get with an AD service.

A service is a complete disassembly, replacement of parts, and reassembly of the movement, so they don't do any troubleshooting to see what the original problem might have been.

Last edited by Tools; 13 August 2019 at 07:33 AM..
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:18 AM   #6
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
How to proceed at what?

You should ask for the offered 5 year in-house warranty in writing, this is all you generally get with an AD service.

A service is a complete disassembly, replacement of parts, and reassembly of the movement, so they don't do any troubleshooting to see what the original problem might have been.
Hi

I thought and was informed by the AD that 2 yrs was the normal service warranty?

When i have had watches serviced in the past they usually give you a brief write up on your receipt of what they have done?

unless that has all changed ?
Old 13 August 2019, 01:32 AM   #7
Austin in Japan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Steel Professional
I'd be tempted to go with option 2.

But the paperwork is pretty important. And I'd want that pouch - yes, they still include them.

Considering it's a ladies piece, which aren't as collectible or retain as much value as, say, a Sub I'd stick with option 2 for the warranty.

But if that was a Sub, I'd want that Rolex paperwork something fierce, and I'd go with option 3.
Austin in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:37 AM   #8
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin in Japan View Post
I'd be tempted to go with option 2.

But the paperwork is pretty important. And I'd want that pouch - yes, they still include them.

Considering it's a ladies piece, which aren't as collectible or retain as much value as, say, a Sub I'd stick with option 2 for the warranty.

But if that was a Sub, I'd want that Rolex paperwork something fierce, and I'd go with option 3.
Hi Austin,

Yes we/she has chosen option 2, I think the AD was blowing smoke with regards the Pouch and paperwork, as we don't have anything in writing regarding the extended warranty, its just verbal at this moment in time.

I will chase it up tomorrow with them.

Thanks

Old 13 August 2019, 01:47 AM   #9
g_luck
"TRF" Member

A little off topic but how did she over wind it? Rolex automatic's really can't be overwound.
g_luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:51 AM   #10
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

The tech is likely a Rolex certified tech, as long as he/she doesn’t polished the hell out of it, i would be ok with option #2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:51 AM   #11
watchmaker
TechXpert

They made a mistake, owned up to it and gave options of how to rectify the situation. That isn’t poor customer service.

In future I’d suggesting posting or hand delivering the watch to Rolex yourself and cut out the middle man if Rolex headed paperwork is that important to you (that’s the only way you’ll get paperwork with your name on it anyway). Going through an AD it’s not unusual to receive just AD paperwork (although some workshops issue Rolex warranty cards too).
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:52 AM   #12
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_luck View Post
A little off topic but how did she over wind it? Rolex automatic's really can't be overwound.
In 17 years of ownership she has always asked me to wind or adjust time and date, the 1st time she has a go using a Youtube video as guidance !!!!!!!!! its over wound and boy do i mean over wound.

Old 13 August 2019, 01:53 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
Think that you got an excellent service with the options provided. They made a mistake, but have done everything possible to rectify
Have to agree and any authorised AD will give the same service as any RSC,only a few watches must go back to RSC for service all the chronograph type watches.But I would thought you would have some sort of service paper or card from the AD.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:55 AM   #14
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
They made a mistake, owned up to it and gave options of how to rectify the situation. That isn’t poor customer service.

In future I’d suggesting posting or hand delivering the watch to Rolex yourself and cut out the middle man if Rolex headed paperwork is that important to you (that’s the only way you’ll get paperwork with your name on it anyway). Going through an AD it’s not unusual to receive just AD paperwork (although some workshops issue Rolex warranty cards too).
Hi,

Thanks for the tip, Its the first time I've had no paperwork or warranty card from a Rolex service, all we got was the payment receipt from the card machine?????
Old 13 August 2019, 01:57 AM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
In 17 years of ownership she has always asked me to wind or adjust time and date, the 1st time she has a go using a Youtube video as guidance !!!!!!!!! its over wound and boy do i mean over wound.

Unless something was broken in the spring-barrel before she started to wind it, its impossible to over-wind. As when mainspring is fully wound up it just slips in the spring-barrel just like it would do on the wrist.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 02:19 AM   #16
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
An automatic watch cannot be overwound. Did the AD find out what was wrong with the watch?
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 02:30 AM   #17
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieux66 View Post
An automatic watch cannot be overwound. Did the AD find out what was wrong with the watch?
Hi

We are totally in the dark as to what they have actually carried out other than Service it.

Prior to service; The Crown when unscrewed and released was totally locked solid, i asked her what she had done and she said that she turned the crown until it went tight ! How many turns i asked "about 100 or 200", Lord above i don't know how I kept my mouth shut, all i could do was

Old 13 August 2019, 02:40 AM   #18
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Hi op.

I would choose option number one.

Nothing else.
Old 13 August 2019, 02:50 AM   #19
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Most services don't typically require the attention of RSC. I agree that your request should have been honored, but I am not sure sending the piece to Rolex necessarily guarantees a higher standard of care. I have heard horror stories about pieces being serviced at ADs and at an RSC.

They made a mistake, sounds like the gave you several reasonable options to correct this.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 02:50 AM   #20
garyfromleeds
Banned

Watch: Deepsea D Blue
Quote:
Hi TRF,

I will let you decide if this constitutes Poor Customer Service, it may seem a little petty but its ticked me off and may serve as a warning to anyone who puts a Rolex in for service.

In mid June I took my partners Lady Date-just in for service as she over wound it when changing the time, when i handed it into the AD they go through a checklist of its condition and what the customer is asking in terms of service and repair.

The Full service/repair and polishing options were chosen, the SA commented that the watch was in Excellent cosmetic condition and looked very good almost new.

At this point I clearly requested the watch to go directly to the UK's RSC for its full estimate and any service repair work, even though they have a onsite Rolex trained service technician who I did not want to look at the watch, I couldn't have made this clearer to the Sales person....The watch goes back to the UK RSC in Kent.

At the end of July I was passing the AD and called in to check why i hadn't had the customary E mail from Rolex with the estimate of repairs and costs?
At this point the Sales assistant tells me the watch is being serviced and repaired upstairs in the AD and not sent to Rolex SC as previously requested and agreed.

The AD Manager was out to lunch but rang me later after I had left the branch, she apologized profusely for them not following my request and offered me three options;

1. Send the watch as requested to Rolex SC in Kent, but that would take another two months for it to be completed.

2. Allow the AD to finish the service and repairs and in way of compensation give the watch 5 yr warranty instead of the normal 2 yrs.

3. Allow the AD to finish the service and repairs and if i wasn't happy with the completed work they would then send it back to Rolex themselves at their cost, All I have paid up to this point is £ 495.

I'm a little annoyed that they didn't follow my simple request and my partner just wanted her watch back on her wrist so option 2 was chosen, with the fall back of option 3 if its not up to scratch.

So we have just been to collect the watch from the AD, first impression is that it looks good, However no Rolex headed Service paperwork stating what has been done to the watch? no Rolex pouch........apparently Rolex don't do them anymore? The only receipt we have been given is for the card payment, nothing to do with the watch service?

my deepsea came back from service about a month ago , I GOT THE GREEN TRAVEL POUCH , my watch went to Kent .
garyfromleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 03:36 AM   #21
g_luck
"TRF" Member

Wow. 100-200 times is excessive. I have always been under the impression you can't overwind a Rolex....or any automatic watch for that matter. I've never heard of that many winds though. Possibly she broke something. I routinely wind mine 40 turns for a full charge after it has been in the drawer for a while.
g_luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 03:38 AM   #22
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Unless something was broken in the spring-barrel before she started to wind it, its impossible to over-wind. As when mainspring is fully wound up it just slips in the spring-barrel just like it would do on the wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieux66 View Post
Quote:
Hi

We are totally in the dark as to what they have actually carried out other than Service it.

Prior to service; The Crown when unscrewed and released was totally locked solid, i asked her what she had done and she said that she turned the crown until it went tight ! How many turns i asked "about 100 or 200", Lord above i don't know how I kept my mouth shut, all i could do was

Have you not even read the response's to your statement? You can not over-wind an automatic watch!
Xtralarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 03:53 AM   #23
maxymax
"TRF" Member

You should get the warranty in writing and preferably, a statement of work for the service carried out. People change, managements change. Paper work is permanent.
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 04:03 AM   #24
Montremoi
"TRF" Member

That reminds me of something... was the sales assistant named Krystal perchance ? She's known for her poor service.
Montremoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 04:06 AM   #25
ITony
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ, WWW
Quote:
Hi

Hmmm....100 or 200 times....OCD?

I always have more faith in companies who own up to their mistakes and offer some sort of compromise. Sounds like they tried to do the right thing, mistakes always happen.
ITony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 04:07 AM   #26
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
Not a mistake. They pulled this crap with me too (not the same AD).

I had a watch under warranty, running poorly (it did not just need to be regulated.)
I told them I did not want them opening it, call it intuition. Please send to Dallas.

They called me back, said they opened it, but the watchmaker can't get the rotor off, need a special tool.

Even I know that a 3235 needs a special 3 prong thing to take off the rotor.
How could a certified, Rolex trained (that's what they called him) watchmaker not know this?

Ridiculous.

Off to Rolex Dallas. Came back with not one, but two sets of scratches from the bracelet not being installed properly.

Lesson? Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :)
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 04:10 AM   #27
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
It wasn't a mistake .

Do on purpose(the watchmaker works for the AD) ,then provide the standard options and offer "profuse apologies" ..

I think they get away with it most of the times .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 04:14 AM   #28
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Local Rolex AD told me they have their "own guy" that can do a rebrush on my 116660
I said "Is he good ?"
They said "Brilliant"

Don't come with funny stuff AD ...just send it to the RSC !!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 04:19 AM   #29
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Most services don't typically require the attention of RSC. I agree that your request should have been honored, but I am not sure sending the piece to Rolex necessarily guarantees a higher standard of care.
Kinda disagree here after my own experience with some plumbers from the AD. RSC only or some very good independent.
Especially if you want a polish.
Smaller in-house AD's don't carry a lapping machine for starters.
Old 13 August 2019, 06:35 PM   #30
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Most services don't typically require the attention of RSC. I agree that your request should have been honored, but I am not sure sending the piece to Rolex necessarily guarantees a higher standard of care. I have heard horror stories about pieces being serviced at ADs and at an RSC.

They made a mistake, sounds like the gave you several reasonable options to correct this.
You are absolutely spot on. The frequency at which some people change employers (yes watchmakers change jobs too), it is entirely possible that a good watchmaker that once was employed by a service centre is now in an AD or independent (or vice versa) doing the same standard of work. I am speaking both from my personal experience and what I know from friends and colleagues in the industry.

A good watchmaker is a good watchmaker, and a bad watchmaker is a bad watchmaker no matter who employs them. And trust me when I say bad/lazy watchmakers know what corners they can cut and still get a watch through QC in a service centre.

Moral of the story is, so long as the brand has authorised a watchmaker, your watch is safe with them. You will get issues from time to time no matter where you go, so there is no point in worrying about what choice to make, whatever it may be.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote