The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 8 September 2019, 06:37 PM   #1
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Incoming and Short Review - Seiko Black Monster SRPD29K1

So I have been talking about it on the other thread and so I just picked this up and couldn't be happier. It's the Seiko Monster SRPD29K1. As it's in all black PVD, it's also nicknamed the "Black Monster".

The Monster series is a popular Dive watch series and the original monster with the jagged teeth is a classic. This one is less intimidating in appearance, with the more traditional stick indices, but with a vintagy patina shade. The black dial has some subdue sunburst effect and is very legible. Some has criticized the hour hands being too short, but it looks fine to me.

The black tone is strictly speaking not exactly dark black, but more like greyish black, almost gun metal like in appearance. The bezel operation is smooth, much smoother than my Seiko turtles, with 120 clicks, and thankfully, the bezel align correctly at 12 o'clock, a frequent complaint about Seiko watches. In fact, it's the first thing I checked before I made the purchase.

The bracelet is also made of PVD coated Steel, with the exception of the clasp but since it's folded inside when closed, it's not obvious. The bracelet is well made with the price with slightly polished centre links, and is very comfortable. In fact, the whole watch feels light like titanium, a credit to the design. By comparison, my Omega Seamaster Diver weighs a ton but that watch is magnetic shielded and has a 300m depth rating while this Seiko Monster only has 200m.

The lume is blue lume, is strong but I don't think it last as long as my Seiko Turtles, however, I haven't independently verify it.

Overall, it's a good Seiko, and as I understand it's listed for USD550. I got it locally and after discount, pay about equivalent to USD420/= which I think is a good value. I didn't bother to bargain hunt at this price point. Compare to my other Seiko dive watches such as my Seiko Turtles and Seiko prospex divers, it's a different design, arguably more wearable.

Any nitpicks / drawbacks? Yes of course. No watch is perfect. The crown design is kind of funny, as there is kind of pops out from the case instead of being integrated, it's screw-down but not protected by crown guards. Also, while the bezel thankfully aligned, the 30min marker on the bezel is not, perhaps a printing flaw. Seiko should really get these small details right as they are not difficult. Also, I think I can do without the cyclops, which I find distracting, although I may find it necessary in my latter years.

This is by now my 14th Seiko, and I have more Seikos than any other brands in my collection. Partly because they are so affordable and of good value and best of all, readily available and easy to buy.

Which brings me to the question. Is it worth paying those 10ths of thousands we are paying for luxury Swiss watches? While certainly more refined and sophisticated, and yes better quality ( no arguments ), what we are really paying, besides better quality and workmanship is a lot more for the brand, the associated image and prestige ( if one needs such stuff ), perhaps the bragging rights, and the significantly higher cost for incremental improvement in quality, due to diminishing laws of return for high end watch making, ( or rather high-priced timepieces due to greed ). And add to that, the games that some ADs / Brands / Boutiques played, in order to access the "hot" models, the empty shelves with nothing to try on, the mandatory BS talk ( and lies ) from the salespeople which makes me literally cringed, I think I can do without them from now on. Been there, done that. And am not interested in playing more games to buy more of their overpriced/over-rated merchandise. Thank you. Sorry for the min-rant.

Have a nice day.
Old 8 September 2019, 09:42 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. Great looking watch.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2019, 09:58 PM   #3
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Congratulations Ben. I've always had a Monster around since they came out. Hard to beat them
Old 8 September 2019, 10:33 PM   #4
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats, Ben! Was thinking of picking this one up. I do wish seiko had added the 6r movement to the prospect line though , as the variable and overall signif lower accuracy compared to the seamaster and other high end watches does limit their appeal (though admittedly I do own several prospex and skx).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2019, 11:33 PM   #5
Kohola
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6105
Nice review Ben. Thanks. I certainly came to the same conclusion as you as far as watch buying goes. I might get a monster someday.
Kohola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 04:04 AM   #6
111forza
"TRF" Member

Nice review Ben And I have to agree with all you say in your mini rant
111forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 06:06 AM   #7
myrealicon
Banned

Congratulations
myrealicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 03:11 PM   #8
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Congratulations. Great looking watch.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Congratulations Ben. I've always had a Monster around since they came out. Hard to beat them
Monster feels different from Turtle but just as nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Congrats, Ben! Was thinking of picking this one up. I do wish seiko had added the 6r movement to the prospect line though , as the variable and overall signif lower accuracy compared to the seamaster and other high end watches does limit their appeal (though admittedly I do own several prospex and skx).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, unfortunately Seiko basic / low-end watches aren't that great in accuracy. +30/-45 sec per day if I recall correctly. But for me, doesn't matter much since I seldom wear the same watch more than a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohola View Post
Nice review Ben. Thanks. I certainly came to the same conclusion as you as far as watch buying goes. I might get a monster someday.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111forza View Post
Nice review Ben And I have to agree with all you say in your mini rant
Haha.. you know better.
Old 10 September 2019, 07:17 AM   #9
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Very Cool!!! Congrats!
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 08:43 AM   #10
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Love the pics. Enjoy!
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 10:28 AM   #11
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Congrats
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 11:25 AM   #12
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Congrats nice!
Old 14 September 2019, 03:29 AM   #13
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Nice! Congrats!
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:59 PM   #14
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Congrats on yours!

I just bought mine in the Prospex Boutique in the Ginza area of Tokyo. Got treated very nicely. May have overpaid a tad, but it’s a souvenir from Japan. I like the day wheel in Kanji.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 07:38 AM   #15
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Here is a pic. Bought it for the Kanji day wheel. The saleswoman wrote down the days of the week in Kanji for me. At least Saturday and Sunday are in blue and red to help me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote