The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 September 2019, 02:01 PM   #31
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
If I'm running ALS, I will use this sport watch as a reward for loyal customers who have purchased multiple dressy pieces over the years. Will definitely limit production of said sport watch to drive demand on the other dress pieces.
This part is correct.

It will be a limited stainless steel run and sold exclusively via boutiques to existing clients. Pricing wise, rumors are it will be similar to Lange 1 (precious metal).

And as someone said above, chances are it's already sold out :)
eviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 02:28 PM   #32
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Idk if FPJ can’t drum up demand for their linesport I’m not sure Lange can either. It will need to be excellent.
Old 22 September 2019, 03:19 PM   #33
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Idk if FPJ can’t drum up demand for their linesport I’m not sure Lange can either. It will need to be excellent.
Umm, who said this?

The FPJ sports range does very well, especially with the recent additions to the collection. If you want a FPJ split seconds for example you can only get it in their sports range.

As for Lange, with a limited run on a less expensive range it will be all sold out via boutiques at launch.
Old 22 September 2019, 03:27 PM   #34
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviperman View Post
This part is correct.

It will be a limited stainless steel run and sold exclusively via boutiques to existing clients. Pricing wise, rumors are it will be similar to Lange 1 (precious metal).

If it is a steel Lange 1, that will be such a let down. Not only it will mean Lange took the easy way out to make it but also it will mean that Lange gave a royal screw you to their existing collectors of PM Lange.

I find it extremely hard to believe that it is already sold out. People and press haven’t seen the watch but existing customers have bought it unseen, little hard to digest.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 03:42 PM   #35
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyRba View Post
If it is a steel Lange 1, that will be such a let down. Not only it will mean Lange took the easy way out to make it but also it will mean that Lange gave a royal screw you to their existing collectors of PM Lange.

I find it extremely hard to believe that it is already sold out. People and press haven’t seen the watch but existing customers have bought it unseen, little hard to digest.
Sorry, you misunderstood. It won't be a Lange 1, I was just referring to the retail price as it's been suggested the new steel sports will be priced similar to a Lange 1.

In regards to it being sold out, I simply meant you won't be able to walk in and purchase the watch without having a history at a Lange boutique, and it will be offered via boutiques only. It's the same with their limited edition pieces moving forward. Have you tried to buy a Datograph Lumen or Triple Split for example?

It's their new strategy moving forward. Send non-limited pieces to ADs and keep limited editions to boutiques only so that their client base receive them first at full retail etc (no need to cut in ADs on LEs). Lange keep adding more boutiques globally, so when you they produce 100-200 limited edition pieces they don't really need ADs to move those.
Old 22 September 2019, 04:14 PM   #36
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry, you misunderstood. It won't be a Lange 1, I was just referring to the retail price as it's been suggested the new steel sports will be priced similar to a Lange 1.

In regards to it being sold out, I simply meant you won't be able to walk in and purchase the watch without having a history at a Lange boutique, and it will be offered via boutiques only. It's the same with their limited edition pieces moving forward. Have you tried to buy a Datograph Lumen or Triple Split for example?

It's their new strategy moving forward. Send non-limited pieces to ADs and keep limited editions to boutiques only so that their client base receive them first at full retail etc (no need to cut in ADs on LEs). Lange keep adding more boutiques globally, so when you they produce 100-200 limited edition pieces they don't really need ADs to move those.
Got it. Thanks for the clarification. That is a really steep price for a steel watch, $34k. I was thinking it will be somewhere between $20-$25k. I get the part that it will be limited to boutique only but not being able to get one without a prior purchase history is limiting. Let’s see.
Old 22 September 2019, 04:40 PM   #37
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
This part is correct.

If this is indeed the case (not doubting your information), Lange must be happy with just being a smallish niche brand.

I see that they had added a second Beijing boutique. That is fascinating considering their other boutique has been completely empty every time I am there and also when walk past.
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 05:13 PM   #38
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Got it. Thanks for the clarification. That is a really steep price for a steel watch, $34k. I was thinking it will be somewhere between $20-$25k. I get the part that it will be limited to boutique only but not being able to get one without a prior purchase history is limiting. Let’s see.
Steel chronograph= $34K. Lange is a movement maker so they will put an expensive movement in this watch. What's Rolex's hottest watch: Daytona. That's the template. Rolex cannot sell a PM chronograph at list, neither can Lange, and cannot supply enough SS chronographs at list. I know, they don't really try.
If you have no history with Lange you will have no chance of getting this watch. But it's not too late to start a buying campaign.
cascavel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 06:09 PM   #39
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Steel chronograph= $34K. Lange is a movement maker so they will put an expensive movement in this watch. What's Rolex's hottest watch: Daytona. That's the template. Rolex cannot sell a PM chronograph at list, neither can Lange, and cannot supply enough SS chronographs at list. I know, they don't really try.
If you have no history with Lange you will have no chance of getting this watch. But it's not too late to start a buying campaign.
Buying campaign? To get a watch from a brand that sells discounted watches from its own boutiques? Please don’t get me wrong, I love the brand. I have a Lange 1 and aim to buy 1815 AC and chrono at some point in future. But all of this doesn’t make sense. 1815 chrono is already in demand and ADs can’t get enough to sell with waiting lists, not sure what’s the scene at Boutiques. It would make little sense to announce a sports chrono as the first watch in this scenario. Plus, make it so limited that you need 2-3 purchases to get the watch. If that is indeed the case, my $ are saved since I plan to get the 1815 chrono anyways. And Lange will continue to be a struggling brand for Richemont unlike VC.
Old 22 September 2019, 06:13 PM   #40
vlps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Buying campaign? To get a watch from a brand that sells discounted watches from its own boutiques? Please don’t get me wrong, I love the brand. I have a Lange 1 and aim to buy 1815 AC and chrono at some point in future. But the information that is being given here makes me wonder either you are trolling or just making stuff up. 1815 chrono is already in demand and ADs can’t get enough to sell with waiting lists, not sure what’s the scene at Boutiques. It would make little sense to announce a sports chrono as the first watch in this scenario. Plus, make it so limited that you need 2-3 purchases to get the watch. If that is indeed the case, my $ are saved since I plan to get the 1815 chrono anyways. And Lange will continue to be a struggling brand for Richemont unlike VC.
They dont really have an option but to make it limited. They only make 5-6k watches per year and their brand image is based on high horology dress watches. Making more than a few hundred of these probably isn't feasible from both a resource perspective nor if they want to maintain their brand image. Maybe its a sign at least they will create more limited steel sports models in the future, probably have to be a returning customer to ever land one.
vlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 06:18 PM   #41
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It would surprise me if it was low $30Ks, as high $20s sounds nicer and sits just below the steel Nautilus pricing. I was told that this FIRST run would be limited to "test" the market's reaction, and if things go went well, other steel releases would follow (obviously their parent company would want maximum $ impact). From a brand perspective, this makes plenty of sense as they'd really want to avoid an AP Code type backlash and could always leave it as a "limited number" run if the watch world responded negatively (not saying it would).

We'll know soon enough as its expected to be released towards end of October.

Time will tell ;)
Old 22 September 2019, 08:24 PM   #42
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

You can draw parallels with what Moser just did this past year. ~1.5k watches per year. Mostly dress watches (vast majority in PM). They decided to do a steel sports watch with integrated bracelet and made it a limited run of 50. Extrapolate this by Lange's production (a multiple of around 5) and you have 250 pieces.

Obviously Moser is not a strict competitor and has very different management styles and philosophies, but you can draw many parallels between the two companies.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 08:44 PM   #43
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
They have to under-price this, that is the key, even above how it looks frankly, but Lange are new to this strategizing in the Social Media age and I suspect like with the AP Code they will over-price this, probably same as the Nautilus or even higher due to the usual horological pride over business savvy, so they better read the forums, half the people here now are experts in the real investment game.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 09:04 PM   #44
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
half the people here now are experts in the real investment game.
Every thread does seemingly turn into investment talk
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 09:06 PM   #45
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMike View Post
Every thread does seemingly turn into investment talk
Yup, no surprise given the market and availability, just now there are a lot of heavy duty guys here too amongst the amateurs.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 11:26 PM   #46
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
No, not just another watch expert YouTube channel. This is Watchbox Tim.
It is not Archie Luxury--the only YouTube channel where the host makes a proper introduction--so I will pass due to the lack of the entertainment factor.

In any case, will be looking forward to seeing the watch in person. Suspect it may be a fail based on the history of other brands. GO--and I love them--still cannot produce a decent sport(y) model. Navigators were close to it but everything else was just pass. Moser, as brought up in this thread, did ok. But its Pioneer line is quite lacking.

If they do go with a sexy chrono + a nice bracelet, I'll put down a deposit. However, I still won't consider it to be a sports watch. More casual compared to the current offerings, I suppose.
Old 22 September 2019, 11:50 PM   #47
hangukman
"TRF" Member

Just hoping ALS won't go full 100% sports mode on this; have to keep ALS identity so sports-esque Lange watch + option of rubber/bracelet would be a great way to start. Waiting for a great watch to drop as a Lange fan.
hangukman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 07:01 AM   #48
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Lange sports watch is coming very very soon
Old 30 September 2019, 12:32 PM   #49
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
My local AD is taking names for a list now. I put my name on it.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2019, 10:01 AM   #50
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My local AD is taking names for a list now. I put my name on it.
Really? Unless they are a famous AD (like Pisa in Milan) your AD won't be receiving a Lange sports model, not this first run.

I've been told it will be limited and sold via boutiques only, and given how they've handled recent limited editions it makes plenty of sense.
Old 1 October 2019, 10:08 AM   #51
jag32
Banned

Quote:
Really? Unless they are a famous AD (like Pisa in Milan) your AD won't be receiving a Lange sports model, not this first run.

I've been told it will be limited and sold via boutiques only, and given how they've handled recent limited editions it makes plenty of sense.
Lenkersdorfer Jewelers in Tyson’s Corner. All they know is one is coming out and they are taking names for preexisting customers only, whether they get one or not is a different story.
Old 1 October 2019, 10:33 AM   #52
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Umm, who said this?

The FPJ sports range does very well, especially with the recent additions to the collection. If you want a FPJ split seconds for example you can only get it in their sports range.

As for Lange, with a limited run on a less expensive range it will be all sold out via boutiques at launch.
Maybe it does well by Journe standards but I can get one overnighted dead stock for a sweet discount from retail and that is all that matters. For the record I love Journe and fully intend to add one when I figure out which one.

I am hoping they put the no rubber bracelet treatment from the PT line sport automatic reserve on the split seconds titanium.

Quote:
Lenkersdorfer Jewelers in Tyson’s Corner. All they know is one is coming out and they are taking names for preexisting customers only, whether they get one or not is a different story.
L+B or are you able to reserve Lange at the Lenkersforfer location as well? Unsure as last I was there only L+B had Lange.
Old 1 October 2019, 10:36 AM   #53
jag32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Maybe it does well by Journe standards but I can get one overnighted dead stock for a sweet discount from retail and that is all that matters. For the record I love Journe and fully intend to add one when I figure out which one.

I am hoping they put the no rubber bracelet treatment from the PT line sport automatic reserve on the split seconds titanium.

L+B or are you able to reserve Lange at the Lenkersforfer location as well? Unsure as last I was there only L+B had Lange.
L+B. They actually recently renamed the Lenkersdorfer store to L+B also.
Old 1 October 2019, 10:41 AM   #54
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
L+B. They actually recently renamed the Lenkersdorfer store to L+B also.
Oh got it thanks for the info
Old 2 October 2019, 01:39 PM   #55
Patekwatchesrule
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980 1R
FP Journe vs Patek

I am still struggling to figure out if anything FP Journe makes is able to compete with my Patek Nautilus collection. Is there a watch that demands the premiums like Patek does? I love the FP Journe watches and I am ready to buy one, but have no idea where to start.
Patekwatchesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 07:13 PM   #56
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekwatchesrule View Post
I am still struggling to figure out if anything FP Journe makes is able to compete with my Patek Nautilus collection. Is there a watch that demands the premiums like Patek does? I love the FP Journe watches and I am ready to buy one, but have no idea where to start.
Competes with? Sure.
Surpasses? Without doubt.
‘Commands a premium’? Not so much.

I think you are confusing cost and value.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 09:04 PM   #57
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I am still struggling to figure out if anything FP Journe makes is able to compete with my Patek Nautilus collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Competes with? Sure.
Surpasses? Without doubt.
Not really competing with Nautilus collection to be honest, 30 metres water resistant isn't competing with a waterproof sports watch.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 10:20 PM   #58
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Not really competing with Nautilus collection to be honest, 30 metres water resistant isn't competing with a waterproof sports watch.
That I was told, horrified, by my friendly local Patek service centre not to take near the water.

That was an Aquanaut and not a Nautilus, though...
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 03:33 AM   #59
ReturningSon
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, Rolex, Seiko
Quote:

This is what I was told as well. The AD's in my area complain about the ALS stock whenever I visit them. The boutiques seems to have consolidated all of the "goodie" pieces (1815 Chrono, AC, BTQ exclusives, colored dials, LEs, etc) while the dealers seems to be only littered with Saxonias apart from the occasional exception here and there. This seems to fall in line with Richemont really trying to beef up the boutique network. (Ive also heard that ALS has dropped more accounts this year than any year previous due to excessive discounting).

The new SS will be boutique only for the foreseeable future. The people who bought from the boutique will have first refusal.
ReturningSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 07:49 AM   #60
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The real truth is Patek doesn’t make many watches under 100k that are competitive with FP Journe.