The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 January 2016, 12:48 AM   #1
DanielBFL
"TRF" Member

How often do you service your Rolex?

Hi there,
I'm a new owner of a 2003 16610LN submariner.
The seller advised me the watch hadn't been serviced since 2010 and i was wondering if it was about time to get it serviced? Nothing to bad is wrong with the watch, the bezel is not clicking most likely due to the click spring being broken but it's nothing major is wrong with it, would you recommend getting it serviced and how long should i wait till i service it again?

Kind regards,
DanielBFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 01:06 AM   #2
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Hi Daniel. If it was serviced in 2010 (assuming what the seller told you is correct, some may say paperwork or didn't happened) and it's keeping good time would say can wait a bit longer for servicing. Rolex will probably say to service every 3-5 years, but some people wait a long longer between service intervals. My 16610 (own it since new, bought in 1995) haven't been service for about 8 years and its still keeping COSC accuracy, so haven't decided to send it for service. Latest cost and lead time of servicing by Rolex will be about $600 and 5-6 weeks of waiting (so I read); private watchmen cost might be 1/2 - 2/3 of that and probably 1-2 weeks of waiting. Hope this helps.
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 01:09 AM   #3
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Send it in and get a service to fix the spring and start a new service history. I never trust what others say unless you have paperwork. Who serviced it last? Rolex or some guy? I'd have rolex do it, put it right, then you'll KNOW, have the rolex warranty, and the paperwork
Old 11 January 2016, 01:14 AM   #4
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
I service mine when they break.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 01:16 AM   #5
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Not knowing the history on it, I'd get it serviced now particularly based on the seller's statement and broken bezel. I fix my watches as necessary and not based on some time interval. This is especially true as I rotate through a fairly large collection.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 01:36 AM   #6
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
If it's within your budget, have it serviced now and start clean.
Then, as needed.
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 01:44 AM   #7
DanielBFL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Hi Daniel. If it was serviced in 2010 (assuming what the seller told you is correct, some may say paperwork or didn't happened) and it's keeping good time would say can wait a bit longer for servicing. Rolex will probably say to service every 3-5 years, but some people wait a long longer between service intervals. My 16610 (own it since new, bought in 1995) haven't been service for about 8 years and its still keeping COSC accuracy, so haven't decided to send it for service. Latest cost and lead time of servicing by Rolex will be about $600 and 5-6 weeks of waiting (so I read); private watchmen cost might be 1/2 - 2/3 of that and probably 1-2 weeks of waiting. Hope this helps.
I see, yeah around every 7-8 years seems like a good compromize, i'll try ask the nearest AD what the price would be for it and decide based on that hahah :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
Send it in and get a service to fix the spring and start a new service history. I never trust what others say unless you have paperwork. Who serviced it last? Rolex or some guy? I'd have rolex do it, put it right, then you'll KNOW, have the rolex warranty, and the paperwork
It was just "some guy", yeah i wanna do it right if i end up sending it in. It's just a hassle since there's none in my country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Sounds like a plan hhaahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Not knowing the history on it, I'd get it serviced now particularly based on the seller's statement and broken bezel. I fix my watches as necessary and not based on some time interval. This is especially true as I rotate through a fairly large collection.
Yeah might as well get it sorted now rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
If it's within your budget, have it serviced now and start clean.
Then, as needed.
Depends on the price of it ofc, i'll contact an ad and hear what they say

Last edited by Tools; 11 January 2016 at 03:47 AM..
DanielBFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 02:28 AM   #8
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I guess my feeling is why try to fix something when it is not broken.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 02:33 AM   #9
GMTIIBLNR
"TRF" Member

When I brought my Rolex in November the AD said that Rolex have changed the servicing to every 10yrs.
GMTIIBLNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 04:22 AM   #10
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTIIBLNR View Post
When I brought my Rolex in November the AD said that Rolex have changed the servicing to every 10yrs.
This is not true. Rolex said in a memo that the average service interval had increased to ten years, but Rolex did not make this recommendation.

Five to seven years is still what they recommend, but that's dependent on a number of variables, like how often you wear your watches and for how long.

My Rolex watches can set for months sometimes.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 04:57 AM   #11
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
How often do you service your Rolex?

Personally if I buy a preowned Rolex I have it rebuilt/services for my own piece of mind. My most recent acquisition I did not. I started to notice it was winding a little rough but still keeping good time and off it went to be rebuilt/serviced. http://www.dstimeservice.com/

Otherwise, 5-7 years seems to be a good recommendation however, some people just let them run and don't have service done... Really up to you and what you are comfortable with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sub1 (7).JPG (80.5 KB, 1214 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 05:02 AM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
When it is not performing properly
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 05:07 AM   #13
rabbithole88
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610v
For my Sub, every 5 years. I take it diving regularly and I don't want a faulty gasket causing a bigger problem.
rabbithole88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 05:34 AM   #14
ltmgeller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
If I buy it used with no Rolex service papers off it goes to rsc. If it has a problem then it goes.
ltmgeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 06:46 AM   #15
GMTIIBLNR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
This is not true. Rolex said in a memo that the average service interval had increased to ten years, but Rolex did not make this recommendation.

Five to seven years is still what they recommend, but that's dependent on a number of variables, like how often you wear your watches and for how long.

My Rolex watches can set for months sometimes.

I didn't realise that, thank you for this information.
GMTIIBLNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 06:50 AM   #16
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTIIBLNR View Post
I didn't realise that, thank you for this information.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 12:51 PM   #17
Shore Guy
"TRF" Member

I'm an outlier. I purchased my SS OP over 29 years ago and have never had it serviced, not even regulated. It now gains 1 1/2 minutes a week, so every week I set it behind 45 seconds. I'm fine with the resulting inaccuracy.

YMMV. I suspect that not having any complications helps. Also it probably helps that I don't shower with it so skin oil and grime has totally sealed off the internal mechanisms from the outside by forming a barrier between the crystal and bezel, and bezel and case.

It is my only watch so it has been worn every day except for a 2-3 week hospitalization.
Shore Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 01:06 PM   #18
opaline460
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
when it is not performing properly
x2
opaline460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 01:18 PM   #19
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Me too, parts are readily available and relatively cheap to replace considering the initial purchase price. Might as well get your monies worth and since I rotate watches they should last a very long time between services.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 01:23 PM   #20
RazoRock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shore Guy View Post
I'm an outlier. I purchased my SS OP over 29 years ago and have never had it serviced, not even regulated. It now gains 1 1/2 minutes a week, so every week I set it behind 45 seconds. I'm fine with the resulting inaccuracy.

YMMV. I suspect that not having any complications helps. Also it probably helps that I don't shower with it so skin oil and grime has totally sealed off the internal mechanisms from the outside by forming a barrier between the crystal and bezel, and bezel and case.

It is my only watch so it has been worn every day except for a 2-3 week hospitalization.
Wow, a real testament to Rolex quality.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
RazoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 02:25 PM   #21
Daytona88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by opaline460 View Post
x2
same for me
Daytona88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 03:38 PM   #22
Timesurfer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Daytona BLNR
Thanks for asking this question, I was wondering the same thing.... I normally schedule mine at 5y. Regardless but was wondering how other people do theirs....
Timesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 04:40 PM   #23
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
I do not service until there is a problem with the watch. I tend to not do any preventative maintenance on any Rolex pieces as I do not see a huge cost difference between a service and a repair anyways.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 07:54 PM   #24
Ermandos
"TRF" Member

I personally would follow manufacturers recommendations as these are usually derived from extensive research and development testing (durability). The watch has lubricated mechanical components which are influenced by temperature, thermal shock, friction etc. I'm no watch expert but I'm assuming the lubricating oil breaks down over time and loses it's lubricity which can result in wear and tear of moving components. I can relate it to having my vehicle serviced, it's more to ensure optimum performance and the longevity of my engine. Please don't rip me to shreds guys, this is just my personal take in re to servicing. Cheers and take care.
Ermandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 08:14 PM   #25
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNALION View Post
Personally if I buy a preowned Rolex I have it rebuilt/services for my own piece of mind. My most recent acquisition I did not. I started to notice it was winding a little rough but still keeping good time and off it went to be rebuilt/serviced. http://www.dstimeservice.com/

Otherwise, 5-7 years seems to be a good recommendation however, some people just let them run and don't have service done... Really up to you and what you are comfortable with.
Tom's good peep. I thought he had really fair prices. I've been to his store and mailed watches to him.
Old 12 January 2016, 01:14 AM   #26
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaters View Post
No offense, but I've never understood this sentiment. Would you like to be in the cabin of the jet I'm flying knowing that our maintenance people only looked after things after they broke rather than on required time cycles? I'd send the watch off to a RSC and have them service it. Then you'll know you have a water tight, oiled, and cleaned up like new watch with a zero time date for doing maintenance going forward. I'm on the old Soviet five year plan with all mine.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2016, 03:02 PM   #27
suginami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaters View Post

This is a philosophy that I wouldn't advise for things like the care of your teeth or your car.

I don't know why I would treat my watch any differently.
suginami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2016, 03:06 PM   #28
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Tom's good peep. I thought he had really fair prices. I've been to his store and mailed watches to him.
Yep! His is very good and his prices are very fair. I Recommend him to everyone. I'll post pics of my Explorer II as he has it now when he sends them to me...

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2016, 11:34 PM   #29
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Since I have quite a few in rotation, I'll wait until the 8-10 year mark. A few years ago when I bought a preowned Kermit (safe queen), part of the deal was to have it serviced for two reasons. 1) Even though it was very rarely worn, it was about 10 years old so I wanted a service and new gaskets. They do dry out and can let moisture in. 2) Being serviced at an RSC, the watch would then be in my name and I have the paperwork/documentation from RSC saying so. That's worth the money to me.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2016, 11:45 PM   #30
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
I wear Tudor Submariners (one blue face/bezel, the other black). I service them when they have an issue.

The Tudors are great watches and not to bad to work on under the hood.