The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 August 2017, 11:34 AM   #91
Flyingz06
"TRF" Member

AD's always eye my kermit when wearing it and always tell me to hold on to it for the future. none of my other rolexes has any ad said that.
Flyingz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 11:53 AM   #92
Case61
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Buy the original Paul Newman Daytona at the upcoming auction for $5 million or so, wait a few years and flip it for $10 million.

Case61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 09:15 PM   #93
swisscheeses
Banned

Not had a mention for the Air King (Bloodhound)... so my money is on this!

Its been designed as a watch to commemorate the Bloodhound world land speed record attempt. The dial echoes the cockpit ones... so, this Air King has a wonderful link... not just 'another' Rolex... this has a real history!

And, The FIRST Rolex to have the coloured logo.

Its also a very unpopular model... which is also good news for future collectability!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BESPOKE-ROLEX-SPEEDOMETER-AND-THE-ROLEX-CHRONOGRAPH.jpg (227.4 KB, 782 views)
swisscheeses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 01:15 AM   #94
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Case61 View Post
Buy the original Paul Newman Daytona at the upcoming auction for $5 million or so, wait a few years and flip it for $10 million.

haha i was actually gonna say something like that too.

It's all relative here. I mentioned earlier, a zenith daytona in excellent shape is selling upwards of $20k lately. That ship has sailed (just as the Newman Daytona has), yet many here are still saying it's a good investment. Will it continue to appreciate it? Probably. But hard to tell if you could consider that an investment.

Again, that's why I said the 16710 Pepsi. I missed a bunch of opportunities a few years ago to buy at great prices, but today they're still reasonable IMO. I don't think it'll last though as the prices are constantly going up.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 01:23 AM   #95
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
I have both the 16710 and the Zenith Daytona and I have no intention of selling either. I also have a 1655 Freccione which is now my favourite so that is staying as well.

If you don't sell, talk of investment is somewhat academic.

My own view is that prices have been rising too fast recently and I am expecting a bit of a correction before much longer.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 01:29 AM   #96
swisscheeses
Banned

My opinions...

Daytonas will always stay strong, but increase to the heights of the vintage versions (aka Paul Newman), unless you have the Zenith movement version. Ceramic values, way inflated, so wait for these to fall.

Subs - ten a penny, will go up with inflation. Kermit and flat 4 version will be the ones, these have gone up 100% in the past 4 years!

GMT's... vintage Pepsi and Coke are going up... BLNR will be the modern 'collect'

Explorers - Early versions only. Steve Mcqueen is the stand out or the cream dial II.

Air King (Bloodhound) - This model really has a chalk and cheese following! Its been created to commemorate the World land speed record, so with that in mind, its kinda a special watch! I have a feeling once the attempt has been made, either if its a success or failure, Rolex won't keep this dial version for long!

Just my thoughts.
swisscheeses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2018, 02:03 AM   #97
fleabag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Nos 16610lv mark 1. Will be worth a lot in 30 years. Maybe six figures.

I hope so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fleabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 06:44 AM   #98
pikupiku
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 36, Blue, 2017
Disregard what everyone said and go for the Hulk for sure. It will be discontinued come Baselworld 2018.
pikupiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 08:05 AM   #99
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Great thread! I need to read it in it's entirety tonight. I think the black (clear crystyal) Milgauss NIB will be worth some money down the road. It's a really cool watch that sold in very small numbers.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 01:27 AM   #100
spacejam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Without a doubt - the Submariner 16610LV - the earlier, the better. Appreciates yearly and what's not to like...it's green.

Next is the GMT II 16710, complete sets, any year. I also like the GMT 16700, but it is more classic than modern as well as the Zenith Daytona models - both models being discontinued almost 20 years now which makes them classics in my opinion, not vintage, but definitely classic Rolex. (Ten years ago, nice GMT IIs were selling for $2700-3,000. They are selling for over double that now.)

That's it. The rest of the newer, and somewhat later models, are just eye candy. If you are really savvy and want to invest in some fine Rolex watches, go vintage. Ten years ago, nice GMT 1675s were selling for $3,000. Now nice ones are bringing five figures on up. Buy right and Rolex can be a great investment.
Which one is right?

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk
spacejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 01:33 AM   #101
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus09 View Post
Daytona 116520 white dial. I know that for a fact because the AD told me the other day that a client was ready to pay $30,000 for it.

TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 01:47 AM   #102
spacejam
"TRF" Member

I'm banging my money on the air king 116900....

It's of a good size with a unique dial, not necessarily beautiful in today taste, has the easy link 5mm, importantly it's one of it's kind... It's the only modern air king ie no other dials to chose from example milguass which has 3, no other material to chose from example sub which has gold, 2 tone, stainless steel and its still one of the most affordable around

What u guys think

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk
spacejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 08:16 AM   #103
clock
Banned

Would a 16710 with box and papers be a better “investment” or put another way, have greater appreciation than a 16750?
clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 08:22 AM   #104
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Complete Set 5 digit Daytonas
Old 2 April 2018, 09:57 AM   #105
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
The 114060, 116610, the D-Blues, LV and LVC, Daytona steel and ceramic, 16710 Pepsi/Coke, BLNR, Milguasses, SD4K, SD43, MK1 black Deepsea, Romans Skydwellers, Pepsi Ceramic, 14060 two liner with lugholes, and the Tudor GMT, BB 58.... That pretty much covers it, and also any model that suddenly becomes popular on SM and which people start asking, then inferring, then stating it will get cancelled.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 11:28 AM   #106
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Whatever I don't buy

Bought:
39mm explorer I with the short hands over black sub-c 5yrs ago
TT Sub-C "bluesy" over hulk 4yrs ago
WG BLRO over 5711 3yrs ago

If you have a bluesy or the z-blue milgauss, dump it NOW. I'm thinking about picking up one of those. The YG DD40 with silver dial and romans is another dog with resale.

I know I should just buy a SS Daytona or a SS sub-c date- either the black or the green and that the SS Pepsi is going to be a homerun. But I can't... I just can't buy those. I like the milgauss. I like two-tone... oh what is wrong with me?!
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 11:50 AM   #107
zen watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc
No date ceramic sub.
Blro
zen watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 12:08 PM   #108
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo77 View Post
Let's speculate and have some fun here in selecting our top choice for a watch to buy now that could be a great investment and future classic. Let us know which watch model and why it might appreciate in value/become a future classic.

Let's not have any holier than thou answers where people say you should only buy a watch because you like it not because it might be an investment, that is boring and NOT what this post is about.
Hulk. Undoubtedly. Not the Kermit--it's yesterday's news. Hulk is getting huge recognition.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 12:27 PM   #109
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
Hulk. Undoubtedly. Not the Kermit--it's yesterday's news. Hulk is getting huge recognition.
As much as I love my LVc, there's nothing defining about it. It doesn't mark an important anniversary like the Kermit. Its not the first bi-color ceramic bezel like the BLNR. It didn't introduce some new movement or innovation. It's a cool watch, no doubt. But I think this current euphoria over it is more of a trend.

As for my pick for a future classic, I'd probably say the Platona and kermit. Outside chance for the BLNR.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 01:34 PM   #110
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
None are true investment pieces unless you never wear them and keep them brand new

But many are collectible like Daytona’s subs gmts, it there is a difference between collectible and investment
avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 02:10 PM   #111
MinMay
Banned

Let me see, I have bunch of Daytona in my collection. Therefore, buy Daytona...Daytona...Daytona :) . Do you get the picture now? LOL.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 02:37 PM   #112
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Case61 View Post

Answers the thread perfectly.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 03:10 PM   #113
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Those all seem like great picks, but it would be great if everyone elaborates as to why the Kermit or Zenith daytona is going to be a future classic....
wrong , the air king is where its at!!!
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 06:02 PM   #114
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Best future investments for me are the ones I already own, it's all about the pleasure I get wearing a watch I really like ,& thats the return for me . But I get the which will be the best investment watch, in terms of monetary returns & think these may be on the list & on a lot of other people's lists also .The 16610LV regardless of production year or slight model variances, & even more for full B&P. Any of the GMT 5 digit references will still continue to rise & even more with full B&P . Any Tudor submariner references especially those with Snowflake hands ,or blue bezel & dials . And any Zenith Daytona will also rise significantly & continue to do so. Obviously the watches above are my personal choices , but when I buy a watch my main thought is ,will I enjoy this watch & not will I buy it because it will give me the best return in a few years .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 06:36 PM   #115
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

It depends on what u mean by "best". If what u mean by the BEST investment like what just happened in Bao Dai, surely it must be the watch with smallest production number because of its rarity. And im pretty sure both 16610LV and 16710 wont have those same amount of value later.

But honestly, any sport Rolex and sport PP like aquanaut and nautilus are very good hobby and still maintain a very good value for a very very long time.

It is the only hobby (beside Gold??) I can think of that I dont need to worry to spend my money on.
For me, it is already valued more than an investment.
DanielBoncu2902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 08:04 PM   #116
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Let's not have any holier than thou answers where people say you should only buy a watch because you like it not because it might be an investment, that is boring and NOT what this post is about.
Ok. Since you asked, I will refrain. But if it were me, I would put my money in Avon collectables - they are ripe for a rebound.

Last edited by mountainjogger; 2 April 2018 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: spelling
mountainjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 08:09 PM   #117
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

probably a bamford watch. They dont customize Rolex anymore so those are going to be classics
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 08:29 PM   #118
Simon_e
"TRF" Member

At current prices I think the best investment is the P serial 116520 with the cream dial. So few were made, they were white and some turned cream. They will be like the porcelain zenith Daytonas.
Buy whilst you can at a sensible price.
Old 2 April 2018, 09:37 PM   #119
Canforfair
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ, 5513, SD, DAYT
My 5513 has nearly doubled in 6 years . I bought it because I love it. I’m now looking at buying a no date sub new as a daily wear. To put my 5513 into semi retirement. I don’t wear my 116520 or d blue that much as I’m worried about damaging . So the new sub will be a beater work / play . The others for inheritance for the kids.

Canforfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 09:41 PM   #120
Basque1
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 1973ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse12 View Post
Deep sea blue

:c lap: Yeah Baby!!!!