The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 August 2014, 04:02 AM   #1
TakmaN
"TRF" Member

To remove a permanent link or not--advice request!

I'm wearing my recently acquired Polar Explorer II (16570) and it is a beauty! However, I'm in the small wrist camp with ~6.6" wrists or so and have the issue with too many permanent links on the 6 o'clock side of the bracelet.

I tried reversing the clasp but it just seemed way too weird. I posted pictures below of how it currently fits on my wrist--do you all recommend I remove a permanent link from the 6 o'clock side or try to get used to it as is? It does pull a little toward my wrist bone which does get annoying but stays put for the most part. I'm afraid removing a permanent link will make it a bit too short. If I was able to do 4.5 links somehow it would be perfectttttt!

TakmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2014, 04:38 AM   #2
GA1911
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
I was in a similar situation with my Sub, but someone here recommended I flip the bracelet and now the clasp is perfectly centered on my wrist. It took some getting used to, but now it's fine. So, put the clasp back like it was, remove the bracelet and flip it around. Give it a try, I thought the suggestion was crazy, but it worked.
GA1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2014, 04:42 AM   #3
luvsub
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn't do this. Just get used to it.
luvsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2014, 05:00 AM   #4
roklee
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex explorer ii
Pls don't.
roklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2014, 05:07 AM   #5
Ryuden
"TRF" Member

Icon6

That exactly what happened to my wife Explorer. The clasps not centered.

She eventually get used to it being that way.

So no, don't do it.
Ryuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2014, 05:11 AM   #6
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Mine is not centered on SubC. Unless they make half links, I will live with it.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2014, 05:13 AM   #7
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
I would not do it and, for the record, none of my Rolex clasps are perfectly centered.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2014, 05:17 AM   #8
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA1911 View Post
I was in a similar situation with my Sub, but someone here recommended I flip the bracelet and now the clasp is perfectly centered on my wrist. It took some getting used to, but now it's fine. So, put the clasp back like it was, remove the bracelet and flip it around. Give it a try, I thought the suggestion was crazy, but it worked.
wait, so the clasp would end up facing the "wrong way"?

man, I am thinking about the taking out a permanent link for my sub and explorer II as well. But its difficult to "destroy" a perfectly good link ...
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2014, 05:22 AM   #9
stil

Watch: Rolex n Omega
If it's not uncomfortable then I wouldn't worry about it...
stil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2014, 05:53 AM   #10
14060m
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 , 16233
Leave it alone for awhile
How long have you been wearing the watch?
Old 1 August 2014, 06:14 AM   #11
TakmaN
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the helpful responses. This is only my third full day wearing it.

It is quite comfortable as is but does pull a little to the top/outside of my wrist. I tried folding the links around to replicate removing a permanent link and it doesn't look like it will fit right so I think I'm going to leave it untouched.
Old 1 August 2014, 06:14 AM   #12
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Removing a permanent link will mess up the gradual taper of the band; just so you know...
Old 1 August 2014, 06:44 AM   #13
doubleinfive
"TRF" Member

You should pay more attention to the face of the watch (a Polar Explorer II is a thing of beauty) than the clasp...
doubleinfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2014, 06:46 AM   #14
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakmaN View Post
I'm wearing my recently acquired Polar Explorer II (16570) and it is a beauty! However, I'm in the small wrist camp with ~6.6" wrists or so and have the issue with too many permanent links on the 6 o'clock side of the bracelet.

I tried reversing the clasp but it just seemed way too weird. I posted pictures below of how it currently fits on my wrist--do you all recommend I remove a permanent link from the 6 o'clock side or try to get used to it as is? It does pull a little toward my wrist bone which does get annoying but stays put for the most part. I'm afraid removing a permanent link will make it a bit too short. If I was able to do 4.5 links somehow it would be perfectttttt!

This may be a dumb question, but I assume you have the same number of fixed links on both sides..?
Old 1 August 2014, 07:00 AM   #15
TakmaN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfnla View Post
This may be a dumb question, but I assume you have the same number of fixed links on both sides..?
There's 5 fixed on the 6 o'clock side (counting the link that connects to the clasp) and 4 fixed on the 12 o'clock side. The 12 o'clock side has 3 additional removable links with the micro-adjust on the second to smallest setting.

Why can't the RSC swap out the middle link piece of the 4th fixed link on the 6 o'clock side with the middle piece of the link that connects to the clasp? That way the proper taper would be present and there would only be 4 fixed links on that side. Granted you couldn't add links anymore but if the watch is a keeper, seems like a good solution.
Old 1 August 2014, 07:05 AM   #16
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakmaN View Post
There's 5 fixed on the 6 o'clock side (counting the link that connects to the clasp) and 4 fixed on the 12 o'clock side. The 12 o'clock side has 3 additional removable links with the micro-adjust on the second to smallest setting.

Why can't the RSC swap out the middle link piece of the 4th fixed link on the 6 o'clock side with the middle piece of the link that connects to the clasp? That way the proper taper would be present and there would only be 4 fixed links on that side. Granted you couldn't add links anymore but if the watch is a keeper, seems like a good solution.
I was thinking you could swap out the 5 fixed links on the 6:00 for the 4 fixed links on the 12:00 but the link that connects to the clasp has me thrown; that one should not be permenant, it should attach with a screw.

I seem to recall having done this on an Oyster band years ago but yours may be different...
Old 1 August 2014, 07:15 AM   #17
TakmaN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfnla View Post
I was thinking you could swap out the 5 fixed links on the 6:00 for the 4 fixed links on the 12:00 but the link that connects to the clasp has me thrown; that one should not be permenant, it should attach with a screw.

I seem to recall having done this on an Oyster band years ago but yours may be different...
The 5th link on the 6 o'clock side does attach with a screw but the other side of it is permanently attached to the clasp so there's no room for adjustment there sadly.

I have the Beverly Hills RSC close by and I'm now swaying the other way and am very tempted to stop by there to get a permanent link removed. I don't plan to flip this one so wearing comfort > resale. And I heard they taper the edges a bit so there's no noticeable step in the taper.
Old 1 August 2014, 07:20 AM   #18
2ar2c1
"TRF" Member

I've removed the smallest permanent link on a couple of bracelets, to make it fit my 6 1/2 wrist better. It basically shifts the bracelet over one link.
2ar2c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2014, 08:57 AM   #19
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I would do it in a heartbeat. In fact I just did with 4 vintage watches of mine (non Rolex) and it's awesome to get a perfect fit. If I ever get a 14060 or a 5513 it's the first thing I'll do, and the single reason I don't get a 16610 is that it's got 5 +1/2 links at 6 o'clock so 4 +1/2 is too long and 3 + 1/2 is too short. Here's a great link for you about that. Cheers.

http://www.minus4plus6.com/bracelet.htm
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2014, 10:53 AM   #20
Speed
"TRF" Member

I had "the procedure" done on a Pepsi. A perfect fit was worth it. The RSC told me I could replace 1/2 a bracelet if I ever wanted to return to "stock"
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2014, 04:00 AM   #21
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ar2c1 View Post
I've removed the smallest permanent link on a couple of bracelets, to make it fit my 6 1/2 wrist better. It basically shifts the bracelet over one link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I would do it in a heartbeat. In fact I just did with 4 vintage watches of mine (non Rolex) and it's awesome to get a perfect fit. If I ever get a 14060 or a 5513 it's the first thing I'll do, and the single reason I don't get a 16610 is that it's got 5 +1/2 links at 6 o'clock so 4 +1/2 is too long and 3 + 1/2 is too short. Here's a great link for you about that. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
I had "the procedure" done on a Pepsi. A perfect fit was worth it. The RSC told me I could replace 1/2 a bracelet if I ever wanted to return to "stock"
I was going to bring this up.

I, too would remove a link if necessary; having the watch not fit properly would drive me nuts (more nuts..? )...
Old 2 August 2014, 04:20 AM   #22
T01
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't do it, just me though.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2014, 04:36 AM   #23
echau
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post

I would do it too. That's my 14060M in the link. Better fit, so no regrets.
I like how the new bracelets have the extra removable link though so I don't have to get at it with the vice grips again.
echau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2014, 04:39 AM   #24
ShortyB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
I traded a Sub because the clasp would not center.
Now I have an Exp II and SD. Both have a perm link
Removed and I couldn't be happier.
Both fit perfect on my 6.5 wrist. They were purchased to be
Worn not collected. They have to be comfortable.
ShortyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2014, 05:39 AM   #25
ec51
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
I did this with my Sub and it was like night/day after the link was removed. My bracelet fits perfectly now. The taper change is hardly noticeable.

I'm surprised by how many members recommend that you don't do it.

If it's just a matter of the clasp being centered, then I might think twice -- but if it is uncomfortable and pulls to one side, then I would highly recommend that you do it. A new link can be purchased to return the bracelet to spec.

Here is my original post from when I removed the link myself:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=187493

Eric
ec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2014, 05:42 AM   #26
ec51
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Here is the taper change with a permanent link removed from the 6p side on my 14060M:

Eric
ec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2014, 07:00 AM   #27
RTea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610LN
Thanks all! I'm sitting at the local RSC right now awaiting an estimate.

After wearing it, I noticed that the watch head does pull severely to the 12 o'clock side and one perm link removal should help a lot. Nervous!
RTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2014, 07:31 AM   #28
applebook
"TRF" Member

No way.

Having to remove a permanent link is a sign that the bracelet is too big for you.
Old 2 August 2014, 08:31 AM   #29
RTea
"TRF" Member

Whoops I realized I posted this thread with my old account and updated it with my newer one so that might make things confusing.

RSC told me 2 weeks to remove the permanent link since they have to send it to Texas... uhhh what. So now I'm at a jeweler getting it taken off. Nerves are growing!
Old 2 August 2014, 08:35 AM   #30
RTea
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post
No way.

Having to remove a permanent link is a sign that the bracelet is too big for you.
Sadly we are not all lucky to have larger wrists. Mine are shaped where all my watches have a 2 or so link bias to the 12 o'clock side (I have 2 removable links on that side so my wrists aren't exactly ridiculously tiny). Unfortunately the older Rolex bracelets don't allow much link removal adjustability on the 6 o'clock side. I've owned Planet Oceans, Speedy Pros, SMPs and was able to get good fits with them all.