The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 1 May 2008, 04:14 PM   #1
hienpham04
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
First PAM

Hi everyone! I've been a long-time Rolex collector, and recently thought about a Panerai. I haven't seen them in person, but the pictures on the forum caused some serious attraction. Not knowing much about Panerai, what would be a good first PAM? I've seen one with close back, and see through backcase. Really cool...Please give me so suggestion, price, resale value, and wrist pictures. Thanks!
hienpham04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2008, 04:39 PM   #2
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I am like you and fascinated by PAM watches, have yet to own one, though.

Nevertheless, I'll chip in with pics of a PAM 250 that I had tried on at my AD recently.

First some pics off the Internet (watchgeeks.dk):

And how it looks on the wrist (it's a 44 mm case, but would probably reach 50 mm with the crown guard included):

Personally, I would go for that PAM as my first one since it has a date feature (but subtly placed at 4 and with black date wheel colour), but also because it has all minute markers present (not just the five markers as on most PAM's).

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2008, 05:20 PM   #3
MikeyDe

Go to their website and get an idea of what ones you like. After you narrow it down look for better pics of them online. Alot of em look alot better in person or when professional close up pics are taken. For some reason I dont think Panerais website does them justice in their pics. I will have a 279 and 161 waiting on me when I get to the States this weekend. Ill put up some pics. Once you start wanting one youll want more! Im already contemplating a 3rd.
MikeyDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2008, 05:31 PM   #4
David1971

Watch: PAM 00005
Hello Hien Q Pham!
I think you have to make a few decisions:

1. Radiomir or Luminor?
2. Handwound or automatic?
3. Do you need a date feature?
4. Case size: 40,42,44,45,47,48?
5. Inhouse movement or not?
6. Bracelet or strap?

If you want a handwound watch without date feature I would recommend the Historic watches.

If you want an automatic watch with date feature I would recommend the Contemporary watches.

My first and only Panerai is the handwound PAM 00005, I think resale value are really good.

-David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0394.JPG (167.8 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0378.JPG (82.6 KB, 271 views)
David1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Lol-x
Facilitator

It is personal preference that is for sure.
Some things to consider:
1. Weight, titanium is lighter than SS;
2. Size 40 or 44mm, I prefer 44 as they are the 'historic' collection.
3. Manual wind or auto. I prefer auto generally but my Panerai is manual, 56 hour power reserve so you only need to wind every 2 days.
4. Display back, this is on the manual winds mostly, but it is a cool feature.
5. Sandwich dial, again a cool feature but available on all models.
7. Cyclops, Panerai traditionally had very simple dials without a date, a date will most usually mean a cyclops and that can detract a little from the beauty of the dial.
My choice was a PAM177, but each to his/her own.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2008, 11:05 PM   #6
Oscar
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMTIIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
I am like you and fascinated by PAM watches, have yet to own one, though.

Nevertheless, I'll chip in with pics of a PAM 250 that I had tried on at my AD recently.

First some pics off the Internet (watchgeeks.dk):

And how it looks on the wrist (it's a 44 mm case, but would probably reach 50 mm with the crown guard included):

Personally, I would go for that PAM as my first one since it has a date feature (but subtly placed at 4 and with black date wheel colour), but also because it has all minute markers present (not just the five markers as on most PAM's).

Bo,

Great looking watch. What would that model be worth approx in Australian Dollars?

Michael
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2008, 03:18 AM   #7
MAC4130
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Panerais come with several choices and features so you really need to narrow down what you want!
There are othe rvariations such as Titanium or SS, White, Blue, Brown or Black dial, as well as Date no date, power reserve or not, Regular or flyback chrono, GMT, and the list goes on, you can even get Gold and platinum cases for that matter.
So anyway if what you want is a basic Panerai The Historic Collection has handwound watches with no date sandwich dials and seetrough case backs. They look really sharp and clean! I like the 111 it is a beautifull watch! Or you can go with one with a date from the Contemporary collection the 104 is a really nice looking watch! both I think are under 6k list!
Rolex Daytona 116500LN Black, Rolex Daytona 116500LN White, Rolex TT GMTIIC, Panerai 88, Cartier Santos TT Auto, Omega Seamaster GMT Bond Co-axial, Omega Constellation SS Auto, Tag Heuer Carrera Chrono Tachy Auto
MAC4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2008, 05:10 AM   #8
hienpham04
"TRF" Member

From what I see on their website, here's what I'm thinking:

1. Must be a Strap watch (brown or black) with a black dial
2. Display backcase is awesome
3. Simple look is cool, I do like the PAM88 GMT but for some reason, it's too busy for me
4. Handwound watch as with automatic? I had Rolex for many years and enjoyed the automatic reserved function. As with the PAMs, is the handwound a big deal? Can you wind easily and fast? I don't like to unscrew the Rolex and wind it. What's your thought? This is my main concern about winding every 2 day with the PAMs. But if it's easy enough, the look of the backcase is worth it
4. I have 40mm Rolex, so perfer something bigger (44mm). I've thought about Breitlings, but I like the PAMs.
5. Prefer SS over Titanium. I don't like the darker look.
6. In house movement? What's the difference and does it play a factor in value?

Oh, are there Panerai replicas out there? What should I look for?

I called Mayor's Jewelers today, they barely have anything in stock. Can you guys help me with wrist pictures?

Thanks everyone, great pictures and advices.
Old 2 May 2008, 07:24 AM   #9
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hienpham04 View Post
From what I see on their website, here's what I'm thinking:

1. Must be a Strap watch (brown or black) with a black dial
2. Display backcase is awesome
3. Simple look is cool, I do like the PAM88 GMT but for some reason, it's too busy for me
4. Handwound watch as with automatic? I had Rolex for many years and enjoyed the automatic reserved function. As with the PAMs, is the handwound a big deal? Can you wind easily and fast? I don't like to unscrew the Rolex and wind it. What's your thought? This is my main concern about winding every 2 day with the PAMs. But if it's easy enough, the look of the backcase is worth it
4. I have 40mm Rolex, so perfer something bigger (44mm). I've thought about Breitlings, but I like the PAMs.
5. Prefer SS over Titanium. I don't like the darker look.
6. In house movement? What's the difference and does it play a factor in value?

Oh, are there Panerai replicas out there? What should I look for?

I called Mayor's Jewelers today, they barely have anything in stock. Can you guys help me with wrist pictures?

Thanks everyone, great pictures and advices.
Hein-

I've been looking for awhile now. You really need to try them on. I love the look of the Luminor's but I can't get 'em to fit me right. The 40mm looks good, but not the 44mm. Still the 40mm looks like a much bigger watch than a Rolex 40mm. Oddly enough, the 45mm Radiomir fits me very, very well. It is much flatter and slightly curved.

From what I've seen with the winding, it is much easier than manually winding a Rolex. The crown is bigger on the Radiomir's and itsn't hard to unscrew. It isn't a triple lock you know. Also, the Luminor's just have the flip lock and the wheel is hugh for winding. Also, if you have more money, they have 8 and 10 day models which have power reseveres that are 8 and 10 days respectively. These are in-house movements.

Fakes, fakes, fakes, fakes, fakes. Much easier to fake than a Rolex because of their clean/simple design. Also some of the dials are just lazer cut dials over superluminova. They primarily use ETA movements (slightly modded), except for the in-house ones (high $$$). With Panerai, definately buy the seller, not the watch!!!!!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2008, 08:19 AM   #10
hienpham04
"TRF" Member

I can't find a dealer in Orlando, FL with more than a few PAMs. I need to try it on As my first PAM, I like to stay within 6K if possible. Then, I will buy more collectible PAMs later.
Old 2 May 2008, 08:54 AM   #11
bimmer
"TRF" Member

yeah if u want auto and a clear caseback, u will be looking at those with in house movements, which goes for 7k+
I went through the same process a while ago and picked to have auto over caseback.
For 44 vs 40mm, my advice is u have to try them on and see it for yourself. However, I will try to go for a 44mm as it is the classic size.
Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2008, 11:33 AM   #12
HKperf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 M Coke
hien~I'm now finished with the process of which pam i would want the most.
one thing though, 44mm is much more desirable. also i'm with you on simple and clean look. don't mind the second hand but anything more is too buzy :) Radiomir's are much easier to wind than luminor's. and really love the display back. man i'm so confused~
now i have all these pam's and i have to decide what ones i want to keep. i really like panerai's hien. i never thought i would spend this much time and $$ on pam's haha..
44mm is it~
Hublot Icebang Ceramic Tungsten
HKperf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2008, 11:58 AM   #13
hienpham04
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKperf View Post
hien~I'm now finished with the process of which pam i would want the most.
one thing though, 44mm is much more desirable. also i'm with you on simple and clean look. don't mind the second hand but anything more is too buzy :) Radiomir's are much easier to wind than luminor's. and really love the display back. man i'm so confused~
now i have all these pam's and i have to decide what ones i want to keep. i really like panerai's hien. i never thought i would spend this much time and $$ on pam's haha..
44mm is it~
I see the Radiomir, but just don't like the crown too much. I'm thinking maybe the PAM0012, PAM00219, PAM00000, PAM00111, or PAM00005. Maybe the PAM00104, and automatic close backcase. Still confused, as there's just too many to choose from. Are the white face popular? I tend to stick with the black face on the PAMs.
Old 2 May 2008, 04:27 PM   #14
hienpham04
"TRF" Member

After really looking at the Panerai website, I narrowed it down to the following models:

PAM00111
PAM00112
PAM00219

Maybe, but no clear backcase:
PAM00000
PAM00005

Any thoughts?
Old 2 May 2008, 04:39 PM   #15
bimmer
"TRF" Member

111 will be my vote
bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2008, 05:01 PM   #16
pwrslider
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
I'd actully go for the 112! A true classic watch.
Rolex Explorer II Blk (91)
Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish (07)
Panerai 104 & 177ti ( 04/03)
pwrslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2008, 05:13 PM   #17
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
112 with a sandwich dial is a stunning watch!

When you can, also check out http://www.paneristi.com for a nice group of Panerai folks, and loads of wrist shots.
Old 3 May 2008, 02:55 AM   #18
David1971

Watch: PAM 00005
If you wear your watch on your right wrist: PAM00219

Otherwise the PAM00005 or PAM00111 gets my vote.

PAM00000 and PAM00112 are NOT COSC certified.

-David
David1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2008, 03:01 AM   #19
seantk
"TRF" Member

Well you know I am biased about the type of watches I prefer..

so

I am really interested in the PAM 00243 and the PAM 00024 Submersible watches.

My Rolex AD is also a Panerai AD so let me know if you want their number or if you would like me to verify something in inventory I can call them for you

Sean
Old 3 May 2008, 03:33 AM   #20
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seantk View Post
Well you know I am biased about the type of watches I prefer..

so

I am really interested in the PAM 00243 and the PAM 00024 Submersible watches.

My Rolex AD is also a Panerai AD so let me know if you want their number or if you would like me to verify something in inventory I can call them for you

Sean
The 243 is the one I want most as well. I have a Rolex & Panerai AD within walking distance of my house...DANGER! DANGER!
Old 6 May 2008, 03:30 PM   #21
hienpham04
"TRF" Member

After seeing a few in person, I decided to get one of each, Luminor and Radiomir. I really like the Luminor, since it has a more modern look. As with the Radiomir, it's a true classy watch. Also, the PAMs must be an automatic. After trying out the manual winding, I don't think it's as enjoyable to me. From the pictures, I preferred the plain look. But in real life, the busy dials are quite nice. So, I came up with the final 4:

Luminor
90 (preferred the busy dial)

Radiomir
268 (preferred the plain dial)

Thanks for all help making the decision.
Old 6 May 2008, 08:51 PM   #22
seantk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
After seeing a few in person, I decided to get one of each, Luminor and Radiomir. I really like the Luminor, since it has a more modern look. As with the Radiomir, it's a true classy watch. Also, the PAMs must be an automatic. After trying out the manual winding, I don't think it's as enjoyable to me. From the pictures, I preferred the plain look. But in real life, the busy dials are quite nice. So, I came up with the final 4:

Luminor

Radiomir

Hien

Awesome - Post some pics after you get them. Did you call the Panerai AD I referred you to?

Sean
Old 6 May 2008, 09:16 PM   #23
Scarface
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex , Omega
What about luminosity?

What about luminosity?
Are they as good as Omega or Seiko in this aspect or average like Rolex?
Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph
Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 02:02 AM   #24
MAC4130
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:

Luminor

Radiomir

I knew you would like the busy dials! I felt exactly the same when seeing them on their web page! But once you see them in person they just look so nice! I am geting an 88 which is very busy but very nice! since the watch is so big it is not cramped at all!
I think my vote goes for the 90 and for the 268, in regards of price well, the pam 90 should be arround th 6k mark as well as the 104 but the 268 should be more in the 10k range and the 288 arround 7 to 8k! so maybe those 2 are starting to get out of the budget you gave us! But specially the 268 is a great looking watch!!!! AND this watch does have the inhouse movement with the 8 day power reserve!!!!
Please keep us posted and post pics once you have pulled the trigger!
Rolex Daytona 116500LN Black, Rolex Daytona 116500LN White, Rolex TT GMTIIC, Panerai 88, Cartier Santos TT Auto, Omega Seamaster GMT Bond Co-axial, Omega Constellation SS Auto, Tag Heuer Carrera Chrono Tachy Auto
MAC4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 02:36 AM   #25
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
What about luminosity?
Really depends on the models, some are as good some are below average...

Actually the best lume I ever had on a watch was on a Tag Heuer, the Aquagraph...
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 03:26 AM   #26
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
What about luminosity?
My Panerai lume is about the same as my SMP. Depends on the model, like Rolex.

The best lume I've ever had was on a Girard Perregaux. Fat, lumed hands, and all the numbers as well. This one would go on for hours:
Old 7 May 2008, 08:07 AM   #27
hienpham04
"TRF" Member

Oops, I meant the:

Radiomir
287 (preferred the plain dial)
Old 7 May 2008, 11:05 AM   #28
bigmikebee
"TRF" Member

may i suggest a
PAM 233
bigmikebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2008, 12:10 AM   #29
MikeyDe

I just recently got home and saw my 161 gmt for first time. I was a little worried before I saw it that it was going to be too busy and flashy. Nope. I love it. Now Im worried that my 279 thats coming will be too dull, LOL. Naaahh, Im sure Ill like that too. Should be here in about a week. Gotta go get links outta the 161 and when 279 comes in Ill throw up some pics.
MikeyDe is offline   Reply With Quote