The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 30 July 2017, 01:02 AM   #1
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Incoming (Ruud Van Deja Vu)

If anyone ever says to you that lightning doesn't strike twice, you can tell them from me that they're talking I can assure you that it does. Oh yes. Oh yes indeedy!

All excited, young Ruud and the long suffering, ever-patient Mrs Van D head into OP Singapore to go and finally collect my beloved, long lusted after 533. In we go, received a most royal welcome and then we're taken out to the back to the VIP room. This is what awaited, a table full of goodies and my 533.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_342.jpg (279.2 KB, 656 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3272.jpg (274.6 KB, 655 views)

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 01:03 AM   #2
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

I looked at my main man and I said to him "you're going to show me something else, aren't you?" Big grin spreads across his face, boutique manager starts laughing...........

Anyone who's read enough of my Ruud Van Drivel on here over the past year is well aware of my love for the 533. Turns out that OP have released some more LEs and my man brought this out............

Brethren, behold the 737. Based on the 317, it's a boutique only piece, limited to just 200 pieces worldwide. Eight day manual P2002 movement, titanium case, domed crystal, the ecru that I love and a very different green dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3266.jpg (282.8 KB, 656 views)

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 30 July 2017, 01:06 AM   #3
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

So what's a Ruud to do? It's quite a bit more money on top of the 533, zero discount but OMG, what a reference!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_346.jpg (277.6 KB, 653 views)

Old 30 July 2017, 01:07 AM   #4
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

It's not going to be to everyone's taste but I've never really been one to care too much what others think. My money, my wrist etc.

So a tough choice to make, the love of my Panerai life or a very special piece. And I turn 50 in a few days (like that's relevant, but hey). Oh, and it's my last Panerai, ever. Yep, the last. My final Panerai. No more. No amount of Nick's 372 on the distressed leather strap is going to change my mind. Not in a million years. Honest. No, really.

Time to get on with it then, I guess. What did I choose? Read on to the next post below.........

Old 30 July 2017, 01:10 AM   #5
Jspedersen
"TRF" Member

Keeping up the suspense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jspedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 01:12 AM   #6
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

What did I say about lightning striking twice? I went with the 737, rude not to so Ruud did do. Lucky Ruud had a shed load of goodies thrown in too; a polished standard buckle, brushed deployment clasp, black 'gator strap, JV gold 'gator strap and there's a deployment Asso strap on order. I also scored a pretty cool book and there's a travel case on the way when they're back in stock. Job done!

There are better deals to be had at other dealers but I'm loyal to OP Singapore for a reason. They really know how to look after their clients like no other. If I was to buy another PAM, hypothetically speaking, just sayin' like, then I know where I'll be going. In theory, of course.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3264.jpg (244.3 KB, 634 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3267.jpg (256.1 KB, 641 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_347.jpg (292.6 KB, 638 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3269.jpg (171.5 KB, 629 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3270.jpg (266.7 KB, 632 views)

Old 30 July 2017, 01:29 AM   #7
Jspedersen
"TRF" Member

Congratulation on a fantastic watch, not my style but still a fabulous watch...

Jspedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 02:04 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
That is one fantastic Panerai Paul; I'm very happy for you! You must be over the moon

Congratulations and enjoy that beauty
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 02:08 AM   #9
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
Wow, that's a nice piece! Congrats!
Old 30 July 2017, 02:36 AM   #10
Zyfon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Panerai
Huge congrats man. I think you made the right choice. That's probably my new favorite PAM since green is my favorite color.
Zyfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 03:01 AM   #11
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

First of all, WOW!! The 533 was there.....and stayed there?

And, second of all, WOW, that 737 is an AWESOME reference, and really adds something special to your collection.

Did not see this in a million years, but so cool of the boutique to look after you like that. Amazing....

Now, about that 533, 372 and 690....???

Until then, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, and enjoy this new one. Great move & very happy for you!!

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 03:29 AM   #12
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Proper kettle China. Beautiful. Still working on my first Pam!!
Old 30 July 2017, 03:29 AM   #13
TOlsen
"TRF" Member

VERY nice! Big congrats
TOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 03:45 AM   #14
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Great choice, congrats
Old 30 July 2017, 04:25 AM   #15
Bushido
"TRF" Member

Wow that 737 is gorgeous! While both of those watches are amazing, I think you made the right decision.

Congratulations on one truly exquisite time piece and happy b-day as well!
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 04:38 AM   #16
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Wow, congrats on that beauty buddy! You really finished on a high with that PAM. The LE green dials are quite different and a nice addition to the collection. I think that they actually look quite nice! Enjoy! And happy birthday in advance!

I'm still patiently waiting to rejoin the panerai club with the 422.
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 05:13 AM   #17
TOlsen
"TRF" Member

Have been looking at your pictures again and again - those edges on the titanium case are razor sharp! Great decision to go for the 737. Looking forward to hopefully seeing many more pictures of this beauty!
TOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 05:16 AM   #18
addy616
2024 Pledge Member

Love it! Congrats! I had the 736 recently and loved the green
Old 30 July 2017, 05:40 AM   #19
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Holy sh!t Paul, that thing is incredible! You made the right choice, without a doubt!

Big congrats man, and happy 50th this year!
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 07:55 AM   #20
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Awesome! And it's deployant not deployment...sorry had to. Great watch enjoy
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 08:48 AM   #21
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
Yours is very nice as is the 737 but it's a p2004 movement. I had it in my 311. I'm not a ecru line fan but I think it looks stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 09:17 AM   #22
benvh
"TRF" Member

It's a real beaut, congrats! You definitely made the right choice, it's stunning. Wear it in good health.

Ben
benvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 11:11 AM   #23
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Congrats

That green is absolutely incredible. Great choice. Nice to have an opportunity to purchase that
Enjoy
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 11:35 AM   #24
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Wow, how marvellous! Many congrats on the watch, mate, and the Afternoon Tea makes it all a little more special, went to a nice Tea for my BD.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 11:57 AM   #25
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspedersen View Post
Congratulation on a fantastic watch, not my style but still a fabulous watch...

I'm glad you said that, thank you. It really isn't going to be everyone's bag and I'm ok with that. I'm a bit left field anyway so it suits me in all ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
That is one fantastic Panerai Paul; I'm very happy for you! You must be over the moon

Congratulations and enjoy that beauty
I'm very happy, Brian. Just got it out again now and can't believe I've scored such a piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastergreenhand View Post
Wow, that's a nice piece! Congrats!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyfon View Post
Huge congrats man. I think you made the right choice. That's probably my new favorite PAM since green is my favorite color.
I love green but I'm not sure if I really like it or if I was brain-washed into liking it as a kid. My mum loves green and used to dress me in green whenever I'd allow it. If I'd let her have her way, I'd have gone to school looking like Ruud Van Leprechaun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

First of all, WOW!! The 533 was there.....and stayed there?

And, second of all, WOW, that 737 is an AWESOME reference, and really adds something special to your collection.

Did not see this in a million years, but so cool of the boutique to look after you like that. Amazing....

Now, about that 533, 372 and 690....???

Until then, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, and enjoy this new one. Great move & very happy for you!!

Thank you, my friend.

The 533 was on the table, exactly as you can see in the pictures above. Right there, waiting to jump onto my wrist and be loved forever. I thought I'd wake up feeling guilty this morning like an absolute rotter who'd left his bride at the altar. Nope, not a chance, the 737 is a total stunner. You should see it in the sun! OMG!

I wouldn't have seen it in a million years either but as soon as we walked in to OP, I had the most bizarre premonition that something out of the blue was going to happen. It just so happened that it was something out of the green, but you know what I mean.

The boutique will normally only allow clients one LE because VVIPs in the past have abused their relationship by picking up the special references and then flipping them for profit. I guess this was my lucky day.

I'd already made my mind up but I asked Mrs Van D her thoughts before I pulled the trigger (and I'd finally stopped dribbling) and she again said that whilst the 533 is lovely, it's waaaaaay to close to the 359 and no one would tell the difference from ten yards away. My man then went and got a 1359 and Mrs Van D took it off him and laid it on the tray next to my 689 and the 533. She said that if I go for the 533, that's how the collection will look. She then switched the 533 for the 737 and said "now what do you think?" Her view is that I'm hung up on the 533 because it was the first one I saw and that I haven't given anything else a chance. Whilst I love the 533, I have to concede that she might have a point.

As for the 533 and 372, definitely no more PAMs for me, I'm done. Seriously, my collection is complete. The 690 isn't for me in any shape or form; I'm too big a fan of the 1950 Luminors for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Proper kettle China. Beautiful. Still working on my first Pam!!
Thank you, China. Come out here and I'll take you to my man at OP and we'll have a cup of Rosie and see what takes your fancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Great choice, congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
Wow that 737 is gorgeous! While both of those watches are amazing, I think you made the right decision.

Congratulations on one truly exquisite time piece and happy b-day as well!
Thank you. Tough decision for about five seconds but having slept on it, it was the right choice. Oh yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Wow, congrats on that beauty buddy! You really finished on a high with that PAM. The LE green dials are quite different and a nice addition to the collection. I think that they actually look quite nice! Enjoy! And happy birthday in advance!

I'm still patiently waiting to rejoin the panerai club with the 422.
Cheers, Mo. Do it mate, you know it makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOlsen View Post
Have been looking at your pictures again and again - those edges on the titanium case are razor sharp! Great decision to go for the 737. Looking forward to hopefully seeing many more pictures of this beauty!
Thank you. It really is an incredible piece. I'm going to take a shot in the sun shortly and post it before we head out to lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy616 View Post
Love it! Congrats! I had the 736 recently and loved the green
Thank you. Another great piece that I had the chance to pick up but the 737 was the one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Holy sh!t Paul, that thing is incredible! You made the right choice, without a doubt!

Big congrats man, and happy 50th this year!
Nice one, Dave! Yep, most definitely the right choice. I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Awesome! And it's deployant not deployment...sorry had to. Great watch enjoy
Thank you.

Whilst it's no secret I'm quite gaff prone as far as my knowledge of Panerai goes, I actually know it's a deployant clasp. Damn iPad auto correct! My MacBook insisted on changing deployant to deplane just now after several bouts of deployment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eal15 View Post
Yours is very nice as is the 737 but it's a p2004 movement. I had it in my 311. I'm not a ecru line fan but I think it looks stunning.

Yep, P2004. Another iPad auto correct. Honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvh View Post
It's a real beaut, congrats! You definitely made the right choice, it's stunning. Wear it in good health.

Ben
Thank you, Ben.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnpina View Post
That green is absolutely incredible. Great choice. Nice to have an opportunity to purchase that
Enjoy
Thank you. I still can't believe my luck.

Thanks again all your kind words, guys. This section is the best part of TRF!

Old 30 July 2017, 12:04 PM   #26
eal15
"TRF" Member

Either way, very nice and Happy Birthday!

Old 30 July 2017, 12:11 PM   #27
eal15
"TRF" Member

Incoming (Ruud Van Deja Vu)

Oh, and after the celebrations, I'm requesting more pics, especially on different straps. One of my 311 issues was visibility, I really wanted gold hands. I bet visibility is awesome at a glance now!

Old 30 July 2017, 12:19 PM   #28
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Wow, how marvellous! Many congrats on the watch, mate, and the Afternoon Tea makes it all a little more special, went to a nice Tea for my BD.
Thank you, Neil.

They are truly fantastic at OP Singapore, I cannot big these guys up enough. Wonderful people and legendary customer service

Quote:
Either way, very nice and Happy Birthday!

Thank you, Earl.

Quote:
Oh, and after the celebrations, I'm requesting more pics, especially on different straps. One of my 311 issues was visibility, I really wanted gold hands. I bet visibility is awesome at a glance now!

More pics coming soon. And yes, visibility is amazing; no problems with the gold hands of the 689 either

Old 30 July 2017, 12:20 PM   #29
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

And for those of you wondering what I'm banging on about, the deja vu and lightning striking twice, this is what happened at OP Singapore exactly one year ago today:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=487042

Old 30 July 2017, 01:47 PM   #30
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

A few more shots in the sun this morning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3291.jpg (266.1 KB, 515 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3300.jpg (288.7 KB, 520 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3304.jpg (288.0 KB, 527 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3286.jpg (270.0 KB, 522 views)