The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 March 2012, 02:36 AM   #1
TuonoRider
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
PO 42mm - 2500 vs. 300M

Good day, all.

Abqrolexfan posted up pics of his new 300M the other day and I fell in love with the watch - but as a gift for my father.

I started looking at the pics of the new 300M in black non-wave dial and really like it, however, the more I looked at it the more I began to wonder if it will be harder for him to read. At age 71, my dad's eyesight is pretty good, but as years move on it may diminish to some extent.

So on to the OMega website...Hmmm, the PO 2500 looks like a fantastic option: clearly marked hours, hour & minute hands that are smooth and clean. A very clear and concise layout overall.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with the "heft" of the watch or how bulky one may be over the other. Dad doesn't wear a watch, but has been commenting on my Omega ever since I purchased it a few months ago. I know he's gonna love it...he's got an average wrist size and a 41mm vs 42mm won't be much issue. I am thinking the PO may be "chunkier" than the 300M - would I be correct in the assesment?

I've held the PO 2500, but not a 300M...

I could go either way at this point.
TuonoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 02:55 AM   #2
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

The SMP 300m is a much lower profile watch than the PO - sits a lot lower on the wrist. I think the legibility is just fine on the SMP, I wouldn't have thought it would be a big problem anyway! The SMP is a little bit lighter on the wrist as well, and benefits from a new clasp, a revised bracelet, and a tweaked movement as well
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 03:44 AM   #3
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
At age 71, I'd be willing to bet your Dad would prefer the 300M. It's lighter and thinner. As Chris said, legibility is a non-issue. Very clear...
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 04:13 AM   #4
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
At age 71, I'd be willing to bet your Dad would prefer the 300M. It's lighter and thinner. As Chris said, legibility is a non-issue. Very clear...
agree 100% lighter and thinner for sure
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 09:40 AM   #5
TuonoRider
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys - awesome feedback, exactly what I was looking for. I think I'm sticking with my "gut" and going with the 300M.

Since he's not used to wearing a watch, I like the idea of a bit thinner/lighter/less chunky watch.

Now, to somehow determine his wrist size so I can get it pre-sized without ruining the surprise. He tried my Speedmaster on and said it was tight, but could buckly it. I think I'll measure my wrist and add the length of 1 link. If I'm way off, then we go get it sized...not the end of the world.
Old 25 March 2012, 09:53 AM   #6
TuonoRider
"TRF" Member

Silly question - the new 300M in black isn't too "young" looking, is it. SOunds funny asking that, but I'm 35 and think it looks awesome. I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. it's got a good all-around look and feel to it - he can dress it up with a shirt/tie/jacket on Sunday and dress it down during the week with jeans and a shirt.

I just need to quit second guessing my original gut feeling.
Old 25 March 2012, 10:43 AM   #7
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I hope it's not too "young looking," I'm 54.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 10:57 AM   #8
TuonoRider
"TRF" Member

:) I guess "young" isnt the best word. "sporty" maybe is a better word.

Old 25 March 2012, 11:22 AM   #9
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I'm of the opinion that your father will be proud of any watch you give him, it would mirror the pride he has in such a thoughtful son.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2012, 10:36 PM   #10
TuonoRider
"TRF" Member

Thanks, Dave.
Old 27 March 2012, 01:59 PM   #11
InTime
Banned

300m that dave is showing there is a mighty fine watch. geesh i wish i waited. i'd be all over that.
InTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2012, 05:06 AM   #12
TuonoRider
"TRF" Member

It's Arrived!!!

I wanted to bring back this thread of mine from a week or two ago. last week I finally pulled the trigger on the new model 300M Seamaster as Dave posted a great pic of above.

First off, just to review briefly, this watch is for my Dad. He never really wore a watch that I can recall and soon as
he saw my Speedmaster, he's been hinting about how nice it was. I thought, what better surprise than a new Seamaster for my US Navy veteran father.

I ordered it in last week and it arrived at my office yesterday. I brought it home to oogle over. Wow. The incredible pics people have posted still did it no justice. In the "flesh", it is so clear and crisp; the crystal with dual AR something of a marvel, IMO.

The new bracelet with screws and machined clasp catches is very, very nice; an obvious upgrade from other Omega bracelets I've seen as well as my Speedmaster Auto's. The details on the watch are simply spectacular.

Thanks to everyone who helped me decide.

I'll put another plug in for Fr. John's Omega dealer - spectacular pricing, spectacular service. A "no-brainer" for me when I'm ready to buy my orange bezel 42mm PO!
Old 7 April 2012, 09:35 AM   #13
rob541
"TRF" Member

Well done

Great move out of you! I was never really a fan of the 300's until the new ones came out. I think it would be a better choice than a PO for your father, glad you went that route!

Send pictures!!

Rob
rob541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2012, 09:37 AM   #14
rob541
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post

I was not a fan of these until this new version. I love the smooth dial and the bezel. I think Omega nailed this (except for the bracelet!). And the one big gripe I had with my GMTIIC was the glossy dial - it drove me nuts. Not sure why I flipped on this one, but I think Omega made great upgrades on their recent models.

Rob
rob541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2012, 11:50 AM   #15
TuonoRider
"TRF" Member

Thanks, Rob. The smooth dial is awesome. I wasn't a fan of the wavy dial or the bracelet. After seeing the bracelet in person, its grown on me a bit. Dad will like it, its a bit more "dress" than casual I think. Constructed very well...the updates are great: screw covered pins, enhanced clasp.

I still can't get over how the crystal on this model is practically invisible, unreal.

I'll try to grab a couple pics tomorrow...
Old 8 April 2012, 01:42 AM   #16
TuonoRider
"TRF" Member

A couple quick pics...

Sorry for the lack of high quality pics...

Omega02.jpg
The new SMP - I'm really excited to give it to him tomorrow afternoon. This should make up for a lot of chocolate rabbits he gave me on Easter as a kid. lol.

Omega01.jpg
New SMP along side my Speedmaster Auto Date...the one that started it all...

Old 12 April 2012, 12:13 AM   #17
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

Stunning pics! More pleeez.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2012, 04:30 AM   #18
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
wow my friend, a really good deed you did with an incredible watch, fit for the occassion...love your gesturer and the watches, speedy and SMP
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2012, 06:26 AM   #19
TuonoRider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asadtiger View Post
wow my friend, a really good deed you did with an incredible watch, fit for the occassion...love your gesturer and the watches, speedy and SMP
Thanks, Asad. My Dad is one of my best friends...I gave him one condition: He must wear it and enjoy it every day. :)
Old 13 April 2012, 01:49 PM   #20
Hanz079
"TRF" Member

Wow... You have done a great deed there!!
Here's hoping that your dad enjoy the watch plenty.
I have the same problem with legibility when i was picking out a watch for my dad.
Cataract has taken one of his eye... So his omega aqua terra aint doing it anymore as he told me he got problems reading the date... Solution? I got him a 16570 polar exp II, white dial, black hands, cyclops over the date... On his wrist since the 1st day i got it for him and never off since then...
Hanz079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2012, 11:27 PM   #21
TuonoRider
"TRF" Member

Hanz079,

That's my biggest complaint about the watch....the date. Its very small and the font is not very crisp. My speedmaster is much, much nicer in that regard.

I'm sure Dad will have a bit of trouble with the date, but we'll worry about that later. :)