The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 25 June 2017, 10:47 AM   #1
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Your Thoughts on the 1957 reissue of Speedmaster

Hi
My current Omega collection includes the Omega Seamaster from the 50s/60s that were bequeathed to me by my parent. The said collection had me thinking about going for a vintage Omega Speedmaster but was too afraid to take the plunge especially with the current price as well as availability of said vintage timepiece.

With Baselworld 2017, I am heartened to note that Omega is releasing the Trilogy collection with said timepieces also available individually. And I had my eye on the reissue Speedmaster.

May I get your thoughts on the said 1957 reissue? I would certainly like to add it to my reissue collection.

Many thanks in advance!

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...

Last edited by Rolexavidfan; 25 June 2017 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: Typo
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 11:01 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

My thoughts.....the entire trilogy is amazing and the care they took to replicate them is even more impressive. There is good reason they blew away the entire Basel event this year and has been the main talking point among all Swiss brands. I think it's a good opportunity for people because price aside...the task of sourcing an original nice 2915 is extremely difficult.....even then you'd have to seriously worry about preserving the movement as some parts for the 321 isn't available anymore and difficult to source.

I've held them in the flesh @ a preview event already and they are stunners....every one of them. It's funny because I was completely gunho on the Speedmaster but having them in person....the one that left the biggest impression was the railmaster....not sure if it has to do with my latest infatuation with Explorer I's in general but that's what I came away with. Another thought is if you're interested, I would move quickly and place an order because I've been seeing regional reports stating ADs/OB not taking further orders for the Speedmasters....Trilogy sets seem to be completely gone.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 01:23 PM   #3
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

I've ordered one and looking forward to it takings it's place in my collection. If you are really interested in detailed opinions there are several multi-post threads on all three watches over on Omega Forums.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 02:06 PM   #4
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Hi sensui, thanks so much for your thoughts. I'm listed here at OB but there's one OB in the midwest that is still taking an order and I'm really tempted to place a deposit, I'll just worry about the shipment later.

Hi arcadelt, thanks much also for sharing the other forum. I'll take a look at that.

If any of the forum members have other opinions on it getting, I would like to hear further.

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 27 June 2017, 06:17 AM   #5
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

When will someone get this and post a review? The boutique told me they would be arriving in June. It's June. I need photos and a review!!!
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 07:02 AM   #6
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir69 View Post
When will someone get this and post a review? The boutique told me they would be arriving in June. It's June. I need photos and a review!!!

There are many reviews and hundreds of photos all over the Internet. What more are you hoping for?
Old 27 June 2017, 01:18 PM   #7
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I'll give my thoughts as soon as I receive mine. Whenever that is.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 11:30 PM   #8
NeoXerxes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I'll give my thoughts as soon as I receive mine. Whenever that is.
Looking forward to it! These chronograph hands are magnificent, and I'd be curious to see how it wears on a smaller wrist.

The new speedy looks great, but I'm most interested in the new Seamaster. It's retro and quite beautiful. My favorite part is the fact that it is in 39mm, which is a perfect size for me and 2mm smaller than the previous Seamaster Master Co-Axial.
NeoXerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 12:44 AM   #9
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
There are many reviews and hundreds of photos all over the Internet. What more are you hoping for?
I'm looking for an actual owner who ordered the watch after it was released at Basel. I'm not interested in professional watch bloggers.

If there is a review from an owner, can you post a link? Thanks in advance.
Old 28 June 2017, 06:40 AM   #10
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir69 View Post
If there is a review from an owner, can you post a link? Thanks in advance.

There are no owners yet as the watch has not been issued. July is the currently being touted, but I suspect August or September is more likely for most. Of course, there may not be any more available for sale by then.
Old 28 June 2017, 02:21 PM   #11
Mach
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO
When I first saw the Trilogy collection photos during Baselworld 2017, I was blown away. It was a tough choice between the Speedmaster and the Seamaster 300. But, after a night of sleeping on it, I decided to go for the Speedmaster. I couldn't believe that Omega didn't try to "modernize" it and make it 42 - 44mm. Since I have scrawny wrists, I was shocked that it was 38.6mm.

The following morning, I immediately started calling AD’s. I soon discovered that it didn’t matter if I had established relationships with ADs. Some of their deposit requirements were just simply unreasonable, at least IMHO! I almost gave up on my pursuit. Fortunately, after multiple attempts, I was able to identify one right in my backyard that was reasonable with the deposit requirements and willing to work with me. Sometimes, you have to establish new relationships.

This is also my first limited edition timepiece. I’m not really of fan of the LE practice. Don’t get wrong, I understand why Omega and its peers do this. But, I don’t care if the watch is 1 of 1 or 1 of a million. My only concern is that I like it and it makes me tick. I even told the AD that I did not have a preference for a specific number. I just wanted one, just one!

This is also the first time I’ve purchased a watch without seeing it in the flesh. So, I really excited and very anxious. I paid a visit to my AD on Saturday to see if there were any updates on estimated deliveries. As Harry mentioned, he stated that initial batch should ship out the middle of July. But, the initial shipments are designated for Omega Boutiques. So, I’m preparing myself mentally for late August / early September. Hopefully, I will be pleasantly surprised! As Tom Petty sang, “The waiting is the hardest part.”

If you're seriously considering one, I was advise you to get moving. It won't be easy. But, there may be one that has your name or number on it!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 01:07 AM   #12
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
When I first saw the Trilogy collection photos during Baselworld 2017, I was blown away. It was a tough choice between the Speedmaster and the Seamaster 300. But, after a night of sleeping on it, I decided to go for the Speedmaster. I couldn't believe that Omega didn't try to "modernize" it and make it 42 - 44mm. Since I have scrawny wrists, I was shocked that it was 38.6mm.

The following morning, I immediately started calling AD’s. I soon discovered that it didn’t matter if I had established relationships with ADs. Some of their deposit requirements were just simply unreasonable, at least IMHO! I almost gave up on my pursuit. Fortunately, after multiple attempts, I was able to identify one right in my backyard that was reasonable with the deposit requirements and willing to work with me. Sometimes, you have to establish new relationships.

This is also my first limited edition timepiece. I’m not really of fan of the LE practice. Don’t get wrong, I understand why Omega and its peers do this. But, I don’t care if the watch is 1 of 1 or 1 of a million. My only concern is that I like it and it makes me tick. I even told the AD that I did not have a preference for a specific number. I just wanted one, just one!

This is also the first time I’ve purchased a watch without seeing it in the flesh. So, I really excited and very anxious. I paid a visit to my AD on Saturday to see if there were any updates on estimated deliveries. As Harry mentioned, he stated that initial batch should ship out the middle of July. But, the initial shipments are designated for Omega Boutiques. So, I’m preparing myself mentally for late August / early September. Hopefully, I will be pleasantly surprised! As Tom Petty sang, “The waiting is the hardest part.”

If you're seriously considering one, I was advise you to get moving. It won't be easy. But, there may be one that has your name or number on it!
Welcome to the forum. Please post a review once you get the watch with LOTS of pictures. The Dallas boutique told me they should be arriving any day.
Old 29 June 2017, 03:34 AM   #13
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I agree with you on many points. My wrist is also fairly small so I'm stoked about the fact that they've kept the original dimensions. I've paid in full for the Speedmaster at the boutique, so I am really looking forward to receiving it. As promised, I'll post tons of pics as soon as it arrives.
Old 29 June 2017, 04:08 AM   #14
Mach
"TRF" Member

I just saw on another forum that the Omega Fifth Avenue Boutique in NYC will be have their Baselworld 2017 Collection on display for viewing. It also mentioned that the Trilogy Speedmaster and Railmaster will only be available for viewing Wednesday, June 28th, and Thursday, June 29th.

Dave - I see that you're in NYC. If you can make it, please take some pictures! Thanks in advance!
Old 29 June 2017, 12:38 PM   #15
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just saw on another forum that the Omega Fifth Avenue Boutique in NYC will be have their Baselworld 2017 Collection on display for viewing. It also mentioned that the Trilogy Speedmaster and Railmaster will only be available for viewing Wednesday, June 28th, and Thursday, June 29th.

Dave - I see that you're in NYC. If you can make it, please take some pictures! Thanks in advance!
Yep, I ran over there after work. I absolutely loved the Speedy! I'll post some pics and some impressions a little later when I get home, but for now...

Old 29 June 2017, 12:45 PM   #16
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Oooooohhhh more,
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 02:51 PM   #17
Mach
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep, I ran over there after work. I absolutely loved the Speedy! I'll post some pics and some impressions a little later when I get home, but for now...

Thanks Dave! That looks great on your wrist!
Old 29 June 2017, 03:36 PM   #18
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Oooooohhhh more,
Ask and you shall receive...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=546152
Old 29 June 2017, 07:39 PM   #19
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

🤙🏻🤙🏻

ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 12:35 AM   #20
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Thanks DCheeta for the pic.

I just noticed the broad arrow is on the hour hand and not on the minute hand. Also those hands are in gold. Funny that I missed on those little details.

I also have a small wrist of <6, so most of my watch collection are within or below 40mm. Gone were the days where I was able to wear the Pam.

I love what I am seeing. This will definitely fit in my collection parameter as well.

I had an email chat with an AD in the Midwest. He cannot assure that the watch will be available in time of my August visit. Needless to say, I decided to pass this and will wait if my list will be called at my hometown AD. I am #16 in the list, and that is only one boutique in a sea of more than 5 boutiques in our area. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Will update if I would be able to land one in August or in the future.

Old 1 July 2017, 04:29 AM   #21
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for posting!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 1 July 2017, 08:04 AM   #22
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
Thanks DCheeta for the pic.

I just noticed the broad arrow is on the hour hand and not on the minute hand. Also those hands are in gold. Funny that I missed on those little details.

I also have a small wrist of <6, so most of my watch collection are within or below 40mm. Gone were the days where I was able to wear the Pam.

I love what I am seeing. This will definitely fit in my collection parameter as well.

I had an email chat with an AD in the Midwest. He cannot assure that the watch will be available in time of my August visit. Needless to say, I decided to pass this and will wait if my list will be called at my hometown AD. I am #16 in the list, and that is only one boutique in a sea of more than 5 boutiques in our area. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Will update if I would be able to land one in August or in the future.
The broad arrow is on the hour hand as it was on the original models in 1957. I know the AquaTerras have a broad arrow on the minute hand, and Planet Oceans have broad arrows on both hands...but the originals had it only on the hour hand.

The hands are actually silver in color, not gold. If the photos show them as gold that is just down to the lighting and poor white balance of my photos.

I hope you get one!
Old 2 July 2017, 12:35 AM   #23
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Thanks DCheeta! I am going to love this reissue one too.

Old 3 July 2017, 02:56 PM   #24
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks DCheeta! I am going to love this reissue one too.

Old 9 July 2017, 02:44 AM   #25
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Just to update, I went to another OB and I'm #9 in the list. Needless to say, I was actually not heartened after being told that the OB receives one or two pieces per LE allocation. Oh well...

I missed the boat on the Snoopy and the ST. I hope I'll be lucky this time.

Just wondering, are there OB in the Seattle downtown area? I'll be dropping by the city by month end for some business. Thanks in advance!

Old 4 August 2017, 12:18 AM   #26
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

I'm in Seattle for business. Got to visit Tourbillion Boutique and they can still accept deposit for the 57 Speedy reissue. Nice!

However I saw an SMP moonwatch and I love the black bezel tachymetre and the hour/min hand so I haven't decided on pulling the trigger.

I'll ponder on it today and will decide.

Old 4 August 2017, 12:14 PM   #27
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Omega, if you're reading this, we need you to start shipping these. Like now.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 11 August 2017, 11:32 PM   #28
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

To update, I decided to get the 57 reissue. Unfortunately they cannot give me a specific delivery date even though I have to make a 100% deposit.

I decided that I'll try my luck elsewhere when the delivery starts coming. Hope I made the right decision.

Old 12 August 2017, 11:27 AM   #29
Mach
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To update, I decided to get the 57 reissue. Unfortunately they cannot give me a specific delivery date even though I have to make a 100% deposit.

I decided that I'll try my luck elsewhere when the delivery starts coming. Hope I made the right decision.

Congrats! I think you made the right decision. Then again, I may be biased since I also order the '57 Trilogy Speedmaster.

Unfortunately, you won't find an OB or an AD that will provide you with a specific delivery date. They don't even know. I put a 50% deposit down with a local AD back in March. My peers and I are waiting patiently or impatiently for that call.

If you truly want one, I wouldn't risk it. You may be able to find an OB or an AD with a lower deposit requirement. But, once again, no one will be able to provide you with a specific delivery date. Good luck!
Old 19 February 2018, 02:49 PM   #30
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

I thought I update you all on this thread which I created some 6 months ago.

I wasn’t able to get a Speedy 57 reissue allocation from my AD. However, to my delight, I got a call for a Seamaster 57 reissue (60th anniversary edition). After getting inputs from the Rolex forum and comparing it with the Rolex Sub C ND, I decided to pull the trigger. I couldn’t have been happier.

Forgot to share that I actually went for Speedy Pro Hesalite after learning that my chance on getting a 57 reissue is rather slim.

All in all I’m very happy on my recent purchase. Have a great week!