The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 3 April 2012, 11:33 AM   #1
pwriterman
Banned

Vintage Omega crosshair dial question...

Having a discussion with another collector about vintage Omega Seamaster or Constellation crosshair dials. He insists that in the true Omega original dials, the crosshair line did not pierce the logo and connect at the 12 marker. He says the company didn't want anything to interfere with the logo. I think the opposite, having seen many many Omega crosshair dials with the line extending to the 12....and only one where the vertical inexplicably stops short of the Omega logo.
who's right?
pwriterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2012, 11:57 AM   #2
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
I have seen both.

Doesn't cross the logo:

kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2012, 12:01 PM   #3
pwriterman
Banned

Thanks!

Thanks much...but that second photo, which you say doesn't cross the logo, looks like the line actually does...? here's what i was thinking about...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4235.jpg (53.9 KB, 86 views)
pwriterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2012, 12:11 PM   #4
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Yeah for the Geneve it does go through the logo, but for the Globemaster it doesn't. I believe your Seamaster is redialed/refinished though, the fonts look off to me.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2012, 07:03 PM   #5
mondodec
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Connies
Crosshairs not going through the logo is the exception rather than the rule. In Constellations and Seamasters I have never seen a genuine dial that did not cross the logo.

Ive seen numerous refinished dials, particularly from a certain European refinishing house where the crosshairs do not cut through.

I agree with Kyle in respect to the example you posted PW, the fonts are too heavy, the uppercase font particularly is a bit too large and the crosshair should go right up to 1200.

Cheers

Desmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwriterman View Post
Having a discussion with another collector about vintage Omega Seamaster or Constellation crosshair dials. He insists that in the true Omega original dials, the crosshair line did not pierce the logo and connect at the 12 marker. He says the company didn't want anything to interfere with the logo. I think the opposite, having seen many many Omega crosshair dials with the line extending to the 12....and only one where the vertical inexplicably stops short of the Omega logo.
who's right?
mondodec is offline   Reply With Quote